What do you guys think?

Options
XX_Terisa_Xx - Raging Tide
XX_Terisa_Xx - Raging Tide Posts: 27 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Cleric
What do you guys think about a cleric with nirvy Pataka? I know it not the best for healing but I was thinking of getting it becouse of the extra defence. I dont want people thinking im a bad cleric for geting it insted of the sword or glaive. Any thoughts?
Post edited by XX_Terisa_Xx - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You'd be better off getting a g16 Nirvana wep and rolling it until it has solely vit+HP adds. And then it doesn't matter which wep out of the four you get because they can all roll the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Carichan - Sanctuary
    Carichan - Sanctuary Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I've never been fond of Pataka and Glaive because of the high spikes in damage/magic attack.

If you want a more close range on your magic attack (which also counts for healing) then you should go for Wand/Magic Sword as long as you have a choice. Unfortunately for rank weapon you are not going to get a choice, it will be a Glaive.
    ~♥~ Mohandas Gandhi said: ~♥~
    ~♥~ Be the change that you want to see in the world. ~♥~
    ~♥~ The best leaders will be the ones who always lead by example. ~♥~

b:shy

~♥~ Disclaimer: I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what others understand. ~♥~
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    If you plan to get the 3rd recast nirvana weapon than the pataka doesn't give a extra p.def, G16 all have 40 attack levels plus 3 randoms stats.

For cleric if you plan to go G16 I would suggest you to go for the glaive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    i think pakatas require a few extra strength points, and are primarily useful for their high phys damage. therefore its a veno weapon primarily, and although clerics can use them well, i dont think it should be an endgame weapon. you can get def from a lot of other places. thats just my opinion.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Patkias are far too unreliable overall IMO Plus with the advent of third cast Nirvana, there's no longer a defensive difference to justify them.

If you already have the patkia and related molds/badges/etc for it, sure. Otherwise, though, I'd stick to a weapon with a more reliable damage range.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Really, it doesn't matter which weapon you choose damage-wise. They all have the same average damage. But a pataka is simply more fun to see if you had a lucky hit or just a lame one. If you enjoy gambling with no real risk (skills always hit), why not use a pataka, also for g16? If you really want to stay g15, the defense bonuses are nice indeed, anyway.
    Most of the times I have used patakas and no one has ever complained about the lack of healing quality. The difference to a glaive (the weapon type that is kind of designed for Clerics) isn't that big either.
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    A lot of clerics was using the TT99 pataka back in time for the hp and p.def, but other than that pataka are usually not use by clerics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Magic Attack +100 - 5%
    Maximum Magic Attack +130 - 5%
    Channelling -3% - 1%
    HP: +350 - 10%
    MP +310 - 9%
    Strength +18~19 - 10%
    Dexterity +18~19 - 10%
    Magic +18~19 - 10%
    Vitality +18~19 - 10%
    Critical Hit Rate +1% - 9.5%
    Critical Hit Rate +2% - 0.5%
    Reduce Physical damage taken +2% - 5%
    Atk. Level +1 - 9%
    Atk. Level +2 - 1%
    Def. Level +1 - 4%
    Def. Level +2 - 1%

Add-ons for any N3 weapon.

I personally think people make too much of spike damage vs average damage on casters. Most our skills have a large built in range anyways. Most cleric's here are also guilty of overhealing (stacking a 7k sin with a full IH stack, for instance). Our heals also tend to find an average on their own, for instance an IH stack with 5 IHs is going to have some high end and some low end heals. And as harmful as getting a 3k wellspring heal is when you normally have 4.5k wellspring heals, its pretty sexy when you wellspring for 7k, so there are positives and negatives to spike heals but for the most part it does average out.

Also, cleric's are accused of having low dd. While that may be true in many cases, having a spike attack for 28k against a barb helps dispell those rumors :D

The pataka does take 56 str... 1 or 2 points more than your gear or a different magic weapon. Game breaking, I know.

I don't think you should end on a G13 weapon just to keep the pdef. As you refine your belts a +19 vit add on a N3 weapon will give you muuuch more than the +289 pdef the G13 offers, as well as providing better damage/heals from being a better weapon. But any N3 magic weapon is going to be roughly the same.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear
    SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'm favourable to g16 nirvana regardless of the actual weapon. Assuming you're a pure magic Cleric I don't think you'll ever lack healing power even with a pataka but I do suggest you refine it at least to +5 straight away.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well, I personally dislike Patakas on Cleric. Wand is the way to go for me (although due to having Venomancer as main, I chose the Glaive).

However, G16 Pataka is not that bad and it's also really pretty if you care about looks. Try for some good HP/Vit adds as it has been suggested and you'll have both better survivability and better heals.

Sticking to G13 is really silly now that NW made Raptures so much cheaper and G16 is practically free if you farm the Raptures/Badges/Mold yourself.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★