Do we need more dex?

bigchewy
bigchewy Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Blademaster
As a all-weapon BM (like most of us) we usually cap our dex to either fists or bow if we use one which I don't but I know some that do and maybe round up in lots of 20 for the crit bonus. Yes, I know that sounds like something said a very long time ago in a thread everyone forgot about but.. with the introduction of NW and easier to obtain r9rr gears do we need more dex to hit archers and sins who are upgrading? It's something I've noticed lately, I accept I do miss now and then on high dex players but it seems to be getting more frequent as each NW passes.
Also, I have capped my dex at 200 and the rest into str, and I use r9 and lunar ring for the accuracy bonus. I know some BM's cap their dex higher like 220 for example but should we be going higher? I've always seen str or vit being the choice of stat to put our points into (depending on gear/refines/budget) but with sins and archers now getting their primary stat alot higher than before do we need more dex to consistantly hit them. I know in mass pvp our job is more about CC and landing that HF on a particular target, be it a flag carrier in NW or a cata-barb, all though the latter doesn't really apply here but nothing is more annoying than seeing the zerk animation and missing.
I get the feeling I should restat some of my str into dex, but do I increase my accuracy to hit those pesky archers and sins at the loss of doing lesser damage?
Post edited by bigchewy on

Comments

• T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://imageshack.us/a/img855/4562/dphoptimization.png

These charts were made using specific builds vs generic opponents and some mobs (vanished ancestor and vile drake fling) but the trends should hold for most BM's and barbs. Seekers too if their accuracy and damage multipliers are the same. A higher multiplier is better for long term dps.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Tangling Mire, Earth Flame, Impact, Glacial Spike, etc.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • bigchewy
    edited January 2013
    http://imageshack.us/a/img855/4562/dphoptimization.png

These charts were made using specific builds vs generic opponents and some mobs (vanished ancestor and vile drake fling) but the trends should hold for most BM's and barbs. Seekers too if their accuracy and damage multipliers are the same. A higher multiplier is better for long term dps.

A picture paints a thousand words...
    Thanks for the share though, maybe I was expecting something different but this helps alot.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think this is a valid post. The dph chart is useful if I'm skill spamming or apsing my target, but that goes out the window when my stun misses and they stun me instead.

There is a slightly imbalance though as far as accuracy and evasion. It takes more dex to evade because evasion has a diminishing return. We also have +50% accuracy rings to boot.

Mathmatically, we'd need a target though on what is "enough" accuracy and that would change based on. Hitting 95% of the time? 95%? 85%? That would change based on our opponents accuracy of course. Yay for 100% accurate demon roars.

There are arguments for PvE for great dex also. Triple spark damage is 500% weapon damage, so whats added by a trip spark has nothing to do with strength, but your dps would be increased by a higher crit rate. I did the math a long time ago for +10 Deicides and I'd need something like 670 dex before my triple sparked dps was greater with dex than with strength. Its probably changed alot now with G16s but thats talking pve and spark spam.

Since we have so much +str gear now we can still get 300+ str and easily have points leftover to stat more dex.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • bigchewy
    edited January 2013
    Interesting and valid points, but something I've thought of that maybe I should have put in my OP somewhere and it's a point Saku brought up that really does apply in my case and maybe a few other BM's out there. But having recently acquired 3 pieces of r9rr gear (I'm not and never will be full r9rr) my strength has gone from around 390 to just over 520, while having a such big jump in strength has it's obvious advantages but still one of the better ways (although not reliable) I can kill someone is waiting for that big crit, hopefully a zerk crit, to get round their defences and charm...
    Oh wait... did I just answer my own question b:shocked
    Guess I'll go back to drawing board that is pwcalc and have a play with how much strength I could effectively restat..

P.S WTB Reset Note b:surrender
  • _Nottunyx_ - Heavens Tear
    _Nottunyx_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah.
    100% zhen-free since jan 2009 b:cool
    Living proof that Pay2Win is a load of ****

My job is to make things go [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:laughb:pleasedb:laughb:pleasedb:laughb:pleased
  • Morridune - Raging Tide
    Morridune - Raging Tide Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i think the main thing to take into consideration when building you stats are the damage multipliers that kick in at every 150 str, to demonstrate this im going to use BM Bobby who to start with i have given 500str and 200dex as a base

http://pwcalc.com/df0e8b84497f4b96 (his gear ik is a lil hax but it's only the stats we need to focus on) this gives him 4086-7748 patk and 4kacc with 13kish p.deff 11%crit

if we move the str down to its closest mutiplyer 450 and put it into dex
    http://pwcalc.com/ea5315bfb1100727
    this gives him 3772-7152 patk 5k acc and 12.8kish pdeff 13%crit

the difference in your p.atk is only just over 8% (16% at 550 and 25% higher at 600) when put into str vs the 500-1000 acc gain (depp on if u wear acc rings) and a boost to crit now ik acc never used to be a major issue but since the release of the 3rd tier r9 givng sins and archers +100 more dex on already high evasive toons with buffs for either more evasion or status effect dodging >.<
    going too "pure" a str build can hurt now shards can help with both acc and boost damage but there in lies a cost if u need to re-shard so my advice would be look at which will be the most cost effective.
    if you've gone to the expence of putting garnet gems in your axe I'd peronally take the 8% hit to your damage provided it doesnt drop u below a multiplier value (150, 300, 450etc) as with r9 axe's which i assume you have along with the ring its your zerks and crits were your spike rly is and your debuffs will only help if they land
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    if you've gone to the expence of putting garnet gems in your axe I'd peronally take the 8% hit to your damage provided it doesnt drop u below a multiplier value (150, 300, 450etc) as with r9 axe's which i assume you have along with the ring its your zerks and crits were your spike rly is and your debuffs will only help if they land

Uh, strength doesn't work like dex. There is no step up or down in damage multiplier like crit where it's set as every 20. Every point change in str is reflected in the damage multiplier itself, so there isn't any specific tier or benchmark you have to hit.

Unless you mean something different, but it does sound like it's a 1 or none step with the above passage in regards to strength; as opposed to the .0067 multiplier per strength it is.
    edited January 2013
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Damage

"Attack Multiplier

The attack multiplier comes from how your stats, masteries, and buffs contribute to your base damage.
    Daggers and ranged weapons:
    attack multiplier = 1 + ( Dex / 150 ) + weapon mastery + physical attack buffs
    Melee weapons:
    attack multiplier = 1 + ( Str / 150 ) + weapon mastery + physical attack buffs

Magic weapons:
    attack multiplier = 1 + ( Mag / 100 ) + magical attack buffs
    Where ( Dex / 150 ) and ( Str / 150 ) are rounded to 2 decimal places. ( Ex. 1 + ( 100 / 150 ) + 0 + 0 = 1.67 )
    Example:
    For an archer with 450 Dex and level 10 bow mastery
    attack multiplier = 1 + ( 450 / 150 ) + 0.6 = 4.6
    This means his base damage is 4.6 times his weapon attack.
    Comparison of sources of physical attack multiplier:
    Level 10 bow mastery adds 60% (+0.6 to attack multiplier) weapon attack
    Level 10 Strength of Titans attack buff adds 30% (+0.3 to attack multiplier) weapon attack
    Level 10 take aim adds 300% (+3.0 to attack multiplier) weapon attack
    Level 3 True Form removes 50% (-0.5 to attack multiplier) weapon attack
    150 Str or Dex adds 100% weapon attack
    Spark Eruption adds 150% weapon attack
    Advanced Spark Eruption adds 300% - 400% attack
    Demon / Sage Spark Eruption adds 500% attack
    Gloom weapon proc adds 100% attack as does Unrelenting "

this is the multiplyer as stated on PWI's own wikki stating str based weapons are every 150
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    [QUOTE=Morridune - Raging Tide;18492371this is the multiplyer as stated on PWI's own wikki stating str based weapons are every 150[/QUOTE]

Yeaaahhhhhh... we kinda already knew about the damage formula, and have been posting about it in these forums since about 2009. Heck, even this character avatar was posting about. You're misunderstanding the formula.

Heck, here's a common sense way to say you're wrong. Remember how each time you'd level up, you'd put 3 or so points into strength? Remember how each time you confirmed, your damage would then adjust in your character screen to match those points spent? That was 3 points, not 150. If it only changed every 150, it wouldn't shifted off those 3, now would it?

Bottom line, it changes per strength point, not every 150. We've known this for over 4 years now, go back and read the in-depth discussions we used to do on this stuff. It's old hat right now.

EDIT: To help you out, the wiki means every 150 str equals out to a 100% modifier added. Because the .0067 (or .006 and 2/3 to be accurate) times 150 equals *gasp* 100%. Math, it's fun.
    edited January 2013
    soooo basically Telarith/Sylvae (as im guessing the 101 BM more your main then the lvl95 ur trying to troll from) im right its multiples of 150 which is what i said to avoid dropping below, anyho its kinda gone off topic my point was more on the cost/gains or reallocating stat points what i was suggesting was if the OP is at a str lvl were he's past a full 100% modifier say 350 or 500 str then dropping 50 into dex prolly isnt going to hurt his damage as its not a huge loss from p.atk but will give 500-1000 more acc, go back the the OP's it wasnt damage but missing that was the issue so how about rarther than taking parts of my posts and quoting out of context try to add something relevant to the problem

full r9 with weapon only requires 55 points into dex throw the rest into str and u'd end up with decent p.atk w/o any refines or shards http://pwcalc.com/2d71da1fe5cff8df
    there is ofc a reason why no1 does this especially now when there are archers in r9t3 runing about with 6k+ evasion as you enjoy math so much im sure you'll have fun with "whats ur effective damage on an opponent who kites and you cant hit?"
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    150 strength gives x1 damage multiplier.
    120 strength still gives x.8 damage multiplier.

Its not like you don't get a boost with every strength point. How you were describing it Morridune it sounded like you were suggesting you only get strength increases at 150 strength (for instance 300 strength you wouldn't get a strength increase until 450, which isn't true).

For dex however, that is the case. At 180 dex you get +9% crit, at 199 dex, still only +9% crit, at 200 dex it gets the integer increase to 10% crit.

Not sure if you meant for it to sound how you wrote it, but how its written it is stated incorrectly. I was going to write a correction response myself but Telarith beat me to it.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited January 2013
    the difference in your p.atk is only just over 8% (16% at 550 and 25% higher at 600) when put into str vs the 500-1000 acc gain (depp on if u wear acc rings)....

...if you've gone to the expence of putting garnet gems in your axe I'd personally take the 8% hit to your damage provided it doesnt drop u below a multiplier value (150, 300, 450etc)

ok at no point have i said that every stat point in str doesn't count and i certainly didnt say you only get damage boosts at 150,300,450 etc
    if you look at the examples i said the difference +/-50pts of str giving just over 8% to/from p.atk in the 2 examples i posted 1 had 450str/250dex other had 500str/200dex

i simply put my personal preference is to try and keep str above a 150 multiple and a 8% drop in p.atk is a fair price to pay for 1000acc if i'd already gone to expense of sharding garnet gems as many ppl do in their r9 axe's thats 30m+ shards vs the cost of a 50point reset note

again this is off topic the thread is about stat'n more dex for acc in response to EG LA toons getting noticeably harder to hit and land debuff's on , my original post shows that dropping 50pts from str to go over to dex dosn't hurt you'r p.atk too much for a decent gain in acc with a lil boost to crits as a bonus
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2013
    Morridune, it's nice that you have an opinion on when to stat str instead of dex, but since your opinion isn't grounded based on all available data, it's useless to folks trying to optimize their damage. My charts show a time-averaged ratio of dexterity/str to damage. Sakubatou is correct in that it doesn't help when it comes to landing specific skills like DB or HF. Since I have the data, I'll generate and post the straight up % chance to hit graph associated with the damage ratio charts when I get home from work.
    edited January 2013
    thats fair enough and i'd like to see how acc vs evasion stacks up but the point i keep trying to bring up this isnt about damage per say but actually hitting an opponent when the OP say's he's capped at 200dex which with the rings he say's he has would confer a min 4k acc

i showed ( or at was trying to) that shifting 50 points from str to dex, which the OP said was considering (tho not that specific amount) yielded a gain of 1000acc (+25% of its original) at a drop in p.atk of just over 8% with a lvl10 axe mastery and that this may prove more cost efficient in raising hit rate than going for changing shards in weapon to amber gems (each g11 amber gives +225 acc so x2 is 500 with a bonus 500 from rings = +1000 same increase as resetting 50 stat points) it would look at least certainly cheaper to test having 50 more dex or str to swapping over and tryin very expensive shards only to find u were better off with the shards u had to start

the talk about damage was not intended as i said we do our most damage when we zerk, crit or have opponents debuffed each requiring a hit to be scored, pvp vs a sin or archer can end in under 10s any advice on how to help land more hits more often, and thus sooner a zerk, crits or debuffs is welcome

side note- the whole 150xstr thing is just my o.c.d in wanting to keep stats in groups of the full bonuses i also try not to have odd numbers or dex a non x20 value so please be aware the graph ur promising is most likely to give me something new 2b neurotic about b:chuckle
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i'd like to see how acc vs evasion stacks up

I have 3k accuracy, 2k evasion on my bm. 1/6~1/5 of the time, archers miss on me. Often times they start with stun move, that tends to miss and they move on.

My skills rarely miss, but i don't go on a hitting frenzy to notice much.

On bosses and mobs, i tend to miss my hf. I get 2~6 misses in a row. Even when i raised accuracy to 4k, that did not help.

The above are personal observations, none have been tested. Removing 50 points from str, to restat into dex to make dex hit 250, not the wisest move. The damage loss is significant. I especially feel it in pve situations. That is the difference of having agro and not having agro consistently.
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2013
    Here are the % to-hit numbers for the bm and barb builds I used.

I'm a few days late because I've been skiing b:victory
  • BoomBastic - Lothranis
    BoomBastic - Lothranis Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So a question regarding this topic...
    With the 3d cast r9, 3 item +100 str.. what would be the "optimal"/prefered build?

2 exampels with 3d cast axes..

Option 1:

Physical Atk. 11171-17784
    Critical Rate 30%
    Accuracy 4400
    Evasion 2320

Or Option 2:

Physical Atk. 10065-16024
    Critical Rate 33%
    Accuracy 5600
    Evasion 2920

Option 2 has 60 str moved to dex..

What im asking, i guess.. is the 3% more crit and 1,2k accuracy worth the loss of about 1k dmg? And I'm only talking the 3 item r9 3d here, so the same gear will be used in aps set..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigchewy
    edited January 2013
    Before r9rr was so easy to get, I never had that big of a problem hitting sins or archers (disregarding buffs) also this is more about mass pvp so the chances, I've found at least, are higher of finding these targets without evasion increasing buffs but thats very situational. But to say whether 'X' amount of str should be restated to dex is still very much up to the individual, as in my case of having 200 dex with all my gear and 2 rings with accuracy +50% (4000 total as it was mentioned earlier) for me I dont find it enough when dealing with sins or archers with full or at least 3 pieces of r9rr armor.
    It's finding that happy medium between dex/str or accuracy and p.attack, im not a fan (and i suspect many other bm's aren't) of cookie cutter builds so how much should be restated is entirely up to the individual and there has been, at least in my opinion, some very good ideas brought out in this thread which should all be taken into consideration.