Seeker or BM For NW / PVP

Options
2»

Comments

• Toomaga - Heavens Tear
    Toomaga - Heavens Tear Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Everyone else is wrong, kossy is right b:victory.

At the end of the day, it does not matter. Some days you'll be lucky and one shot everyone. Other days you will be base locked for 1 hour 40 minutes out of 2 hours. Everyone can go into pros and cons. Sometimes as a bm, i find 4~10 players grouped up. I run in, blade hurl stun, bt or hf, and i kill half to all of them. Other days i am seal locked by clerics, psy that i can't move for the next 2~50 seconds before dying.

No one class has an absolute advantage in NW. Factors that will hinder any class

1) spawn killing

2) Base locking

3) People spread out all over (wasting time chasing down next target)

4) 20 vs few battles (you are in 20)

The above 4 will appear in all your NW for more than 50% of your battles. That means you diminish your rewards by default, no matter what class/gear you have on.

That brings us back to kossy's point, if you don't enjoy/know your class, having r9 3rd cast, all the new gear from forges, +12, josd will mean nothing, your contribution will not improve relative to the gear.

Actually I have to disagree. This thread is basically asking, which of the two classes Seeker/BM have the ADVANTAGE initially in NW. And quite frankly to say it just comes down to who has the most/luck or skill does not really answer the question. I am not saying those are not factors to consider has yes I fully agree they are. But I don't feel it actually gets to the heart of the debate.

Not to change the subject just using an example. If a full r9 Psychic for example is fighting a full r9 archer and you were to ask me who had the advantage. I would not say:'whoever has the least amount of lag and better luck and skill will win.' While yes that is true it does not answer the question. I would say the archer has the advantage right off the bat MAINLY because of the purge factor.

Or of course a more real life team setting.A baseball team that has only been playing for 4 years, VS a team that has played for lets say 5 years. Most would probably say the 5 year team has the advantage right off the bat because again, they have the more experience statistically.

This is all my opinion of courseb:cute.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options

However, here is where you're flat wrong:

It's not half. Its maybe 1/4th. Range does rule, but the gap closes fast, and they do not have the consistent CCs and resistance skills to survive like a BM will. Even with the calc we have, if it is correct - 1 v 4 situations, you're gonna get more points from damage received, than damage dealt. And I'm sorry, but a well geared BM set to abuse mag marrow does a better job of taking damage than a Seeker will. They're also better at not getting stun locked and standing there like a chump.

Again, I find the classes equal. But in serious group PvP situations (which, if played well and correctly, NW is), the BM will contribute greater to the squad(s), and rack in more points throughout the two hours via making fights more successful.

BMs will rack up the same amount of damage as seekers doing the following:

AOE Stun (prevents you from being Stunned, dying, etc) and other CCs.
    More evasion skills.

You keep talking about range, range, range, and I dont know what class of people you're fighting, but normally the flag bearer or hard to kill people get dogpiled. BMs requiring melee range is actually an advantage to scoring, because people are more likely to SEE said BM and hit them, all the while the BM can control the fights better, while dishing out damage. This is why high level wizards may not score as well as tanks, because everything is dead before they can get hit themselves.

I understand your logic behind the post, just it doesn't match behavior in good NW fights. Group play is severely important to success - both in personal score and nation score, and comparing the two classes the BM wins out in that every time. But Id rather have a BM and a Seeker than two BMs.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to damage dealt, you're playing down the advantages of range over melee in NW way too much here... to the point where it goes against simple logic. "Tab and shoot" ranged classes will always deal more damage in mass PK than "run up and stun" melee classes... again that is indisputable. You as a BM in NW have to run up to virtually everything while dodging obstacles along the way, all the while the Wiz or Archer is kiting you to hell and back. And during that time the clock is ticking where you aren't doing any damage because you're too busy trying to catch your target and lock them down. With Seeker/Archer/wiz it's basically a case of point and shoot.... next target.

In terms of damage received...sure your BM might have more survivability over a DoT sharded Seeker like me. But more survivability than a fully buffed, full JoSD R999 +12 30K HP Seeker with 180+ defense lvls ?

It's hard to believe. :)

Also I disagree about BMs attracting more damage than a Seeker... simply because it depends on the Seeker's build and style of play. A really tanky Seeker as described above can basically plant himself in the middle of the opposing side (unlike other range classes) and no one can simply "ignore him" as he has over 40% crit which means that aoe crit/zerk nukes are going to be coming fast and furious. That Seeker is going to have to be focus fired on by everyone in range. That's a lot of damage he will be soaking up. BM on the other hand is really only a concern for the particular player or group he is running up to stun/HF.... and ignored as a priority target by everyone else out of his immediate range since they know he is not a threat to them.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Aren't BMs kinda a broken or overpriced class to play?

To be aps; not only do you sacrifice your tank-ability, but you also sacrifice AoE potential. To be well rounded; you sacrifice a bunch of coin to obtain and maintain multiple weapons of which none you specialize or are great in. The better damaging fist/claws don't get the same aps or chi gain and using axe skills comes close to the same chi gain as 3.33 unsparked.

Because of the mess of alter marrows; I can't even decide what to shard on my bm. They're supposedly good for tanking; but wiz and mystic seem to be more suited for tanking metal, sot, aba, lunar, rb, etc.

BM seems all about sacrifice. I made mine for the buff but I rarely bother with it for the buff anymore.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'm sorry, but when it comes to damage dealt, you're playing down the advantages of range over melee in NW way too much here... to the point where it goes against simple logic. "Tab and shoot" ranged classes will always deal more damage in mass PK than "run up and stun" melee classes... again that is indisputable. You as a BM in NW have to run up to virtually everything while dodging obstacles along the way, all the while the Wiz or Archer is kiting you to hell and back. And during that time the clock is ticking where you aren't doing any damage because you're too busy trying to catch your target and lock them down. With Seeker/Archer/wiz it's basically a case of point and shoot.... next target.

In terms of damage received...sure your BM might have more survivability over a DoT sharded Seeker like me. But more survivability than a fully buffed, full JoSD R999 +12 30K HP Seeker with 180+ defense lvls ?

It's hard to believe. :)

Also I disagree about BMs attracting more damage than a Seeker... simply because it depends on the Seeker's build and style of play. A really tanky Seeker as described above can basically plant himself in the middle of the opposing side (unlike other range classes) and no one can simply "ignore him" as he has over 40% crit which means that aoe crit/zerk nukes are going to be coming fast and furious. That Seeker is going to have to be focus fired on by everyone in range. That's a lot of damage he will be soaking up. BM on the other hand is really only a concern for the particular player or group he is running up to stun/HF.... and ignored as a priority target by everyone else out of his immediate range since they know he is not a threat to them.

What he's saying is that melees have the advantage in soaking up damage because they're out in front of everyone else tanking the damage, whereas people from 30 meters away are less likely to be targeted. A similar geared R999 +10 Psychic I squad with will get 35 kills in an instance, and get 4th place, 1.7k contribution, and I'll get 17 kills and grab 1st with 2.3k contribution. Seekers may have the range advantage, but you give up the melee advantage if you utilize the range.

While melees are always going to be down-played in damage output by ranged DD, they shine more in taking the focus of enemy DDs, which ultimately is probably 75% of supply token earnings. I know barbs that deal no damage, and purely grab the flag that out-score allied ranged DD every time.

And if seekers give up their range advantage to try to soak more damage and be a melee fighter, BMs will still more likely be the ones out CCing and better utilizing their control skills due to the fact BMs have a much longer anti stun to be able to continue dealing uninterrupted damage. Seekers only really get a 35-40 defense level advantage over a BM, whereas BMs get better self buffs after purge and abusing magic marrow will allow them to out-perform after a purge. When both full buffed, they're about even, but it's pretty obvious to say BM gets the advantage after purge. Magic resistance debuffs wreck seekers, but will barely affect a magic marrowed BM. Especially that spark undine combo wizards always use, laughable.

I have to disagree; seekers will NEVER soak up more damage than an equally geared and skilled BM unless they're literally going around meleeing people like a BM. BMs just simply have the better control skills and anti stuns to sustain themselves in pro-longed combat. You're really downplaying the threat BMs are with their huge sustainability from their immune stun and roar. They can stay in combat without getting interrupted longer than any other melee. A seeker will be 5x as likely to be ignored just due to the fact that they can be slept, sealed, and left aside out of combat.

BMs also can close distances the easiest out of any melee class with their leaps and reckless rush. A BM who can drop HF on a group of people can get R999 opponents to get killed easily by an allied DD. Seekers are way too reliant on single target DPH skills to be able to hold a crowd of enemy's attention. Whenever there's group PvP against the top faction on my server at west gate, if I'm not the first or second person to die, they're in trouble. BMs play a big role in support and being a large threat in interrupting enemy damage so they are generally going to draw more attention than a seeker that's doing just pure damage.

And if my experiences are accurate to others, more than 67% of the time you'll get split up with your squad within the 1 hour point due to DCs, pro-longed 10v20s, and then end up base locked and trying to all rush out to get into an instance will never guarantee you'll be with your squad. A BM depending on their own self buffs will always out-perform a seeker on their own buffs in terms of survivability.

BMs just generally bring more to the table in a squad vs squad fight and thus contributing more to overall supply token earnings. However if your squad is already going with a BM, then in this case I'd go with the Seeker, but it's going to come down to what the squad needs. If your squad has neither, or you're going solo, I'd go with the BM any day.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just a note about stuns since they seem to matter quite a bit to some: Expel, Absolute Domain, Erupt, etc. When I see a BM do Roar of the Pride on my Mystic: I think *thank you so much*! b:chuckle
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Just a note about stuns since they seem to matter quite a bit to some: Expel, Absolute Domain, Erupt, etc. When I see a BM do Roar of the Pride on my Mystic: I think *thank you so much*! b:chuckle

You can still get stun-locked past expel with wizard buff, ijs. And AD only lasts 5 seconds and takes up most of your genie's energy with a long cool-down. BMs have multiple on demand stuns. Flame Tsunami is an excellent and reliable stun as well as Roar and Drake's Bash.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    BMs? Not focus fired? Guess Loth must be REALLY messed up then because I'm usually focus fired in every war I go to, regardless of any other target that might be around. Recasted R9 Seeker right by me? No sir, get the BM. Recasted sin right by me without Tidal up? No sir, that BM's a far bigger threat. Multiple BMs and a Cleric or two near me? Nope, gotta kill the BM man!

To be honest Seekers seem much better suited for NW in terms of damage output, long range zerk crits have to hurt. Though, as has been said, unless they're getting right up in the action they probably won't soak up as much damage since they might not be targeted from such a distance.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    50%?

Just a made up arbitrary statistic. On sanctuary there is atleast one nation that gets shafted each NW. They always appear to be in perma base lock and fighting against spawn killers.

I have had the honour of being in that nation mostly b:bye in all my nw.

Toomaga - I agree with your point, but the reality of NW is different. I see r9 OP people, r9 3rd cast people, i can kill them, hf them, stun them. I will probably die 8/10 times, but the 2/10 i survive the onslaught, i get about 1.5k~2.2k points in that battle. I only need 2~4 battles like that to get 6~7k contribution, which seems to be my limit.

The nature of nw for me, is how does a person do against 4~20 other people alone, self buffed. There are fights that are 20 vs 2, i still kill the flag carried, i am in the 2 category. I am not OP, it's just how NW works. Gears, refines, skills, apoc, genie, timing, lag and charms all those are fine. When push comes to shove, those things help you live a bit a longer at best.

You are fighting against 4~10 people on the other side. You do your usual routine of dd. Sometimes you will find yourself cut down very quickly. You see 2~5 people crit 10~20k in 1~3 seconds on you. Other times, the enemy may focus on someone else, their dd might drop like flies, and you come out ahead. When that battle ends, you go whew, awesome fight, time to kill more.

I know some people on our server send their r9 alts, +12 josd, barb, psy, and let them sit there and take up damage, while they play on their mains. The point of seeker or bm, which is better for nw, it comes down with which class can the OP survive longer? 20~40 def lvls more are meaningless against the new upgraded attacks. If people want to kill you, it is just a matter if you can survive the onslaught in nw or not.

I am not sure if others try this or not. If i have full chi, i use mage bane+purify from cleric friend+stun+hf+aoe. I am guessing people with zerk axes will do far more damage and can cause all the people to drop. For me, i take out mostly aa, and some la.

All classes in pwi have the OP'ness with gear and refines (not sins b:shocked), but it requires the person to be aware of class skills, when to use, how to use, time things, and pay attention.

Zanryu, TheDan, Maelael, (missing saku) enjoy playing the BM. They probably do things that make them very hard to kill, most bms won't do them for what ever reason. Same goes for the really good seekers. The reason they can do those things is because they enjoy that class and spent time on it. The back up the gear+skills with knowledge+experience (i think b:chuckle). That is why it really comes down to how well OP knows their class, every other class, skills, stuff related to each and whole plethora of things. One simply can't say because of class X vs class y, in situation z, using skill a, apoc item b, strategy F, this is what they should do, and that is why class x is better. It could be that everything is in cool down for you, a lvl 60 sin does a knife throw and hits you for 20, and you die, there is nothing stopping that. In mass aoe, pvp, that is bound to happen.

Zanryu - I feel the same way in NW and TW. Especially in tw, the first one to die is me. The whole squad will be alive, and everyone is wonder how did i die? To me it seems like i am on the KOS list of every faction we tw against.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What he's saying is that melees have the advantage in soaking up damage because they're out in front of everyone else tanking the damage, whereas people from 30 meters away are less likely to be targeted. A similar geared R999 +10 Psychic I squad with will get 35 kills in an instance, and get 4th place, 1.7k contribution, and I'll get 17 kills and grab 1st with 2.3k contribution. Seekers may have the range advantage, but you give up the melee advantage if you utilize the range.

While melees are always going to be down-played in damage output by ranged DD, they shine more in taking the focus of enemy DDs, which ultimately is probably 75% of supply token earnings. I know barbs that deal no damage, and purely grab the flag that out-score allied ranged DD every time.

And if seekers give up their range advantage to try to soak more damage and be a melee fighter, BMs will still more likely be the ones out CCing and better utilizing their control skills due to the fact BMs have a much longer anti stun to be able to continue dealing uninterrupted damage. Seekers only really get a 35-40 defense level advantage over a BM, whereas BMs get better self buffs after purge and abusing magic marrow will allow them to out-perform after a purge. When both full buffed, they're about even, but it's pretty obvious to say BM gets the advantage after purge. Magic resistance debuffs wreck seekers, but will barely affect a magic marrowed BM. Especially that spark undine combo wizards always use, laughable.

I have to disagree; seekers will NEVER soak up more damage than an equally geared and skilled BM unless they're literally going around meleeing people like a BM. BMs just simply have the better control skills and anti stuns to sustain themselves in pro-longed combat. You're really downplaying the threat BMs are with their huge sustainability from their immune stun and roar. They can stay in combat without getting interrupted longer than any other melee. A seeker will be 5x as likely to be ignored just due to the fact that they can be slept, sealed, and left aside out of combat.

BMs also can close distances the easiest out of any melee class with their leaps and reckless rush. A BM who can drop HF on a group of people can get R999 opponents to get killed easily by an allied DD. Seekers are way too reliant on single target DPH skills to be able to hold a crowd of enemy's attention. Whenever there's group PvP against the top faction on my server at west gate, if I'm not the first or second person to die, they're in trouble. BMs play a big role in support and being a large threat in interrupting enemy damage so they are generally going to draw more attention than a seeker that's doing just pure damage.

And if my experiences are accurate to others, more than 67% of the time you'll get split up with your squad within the 1 hour point due to DCs, pro-longed 10v20s, and then end up base locked and trying to all rush out to get into an instance will never guarantee you'll be with your squad. A BM depending on their own self buffs will always out-perform a seeker on their own buffs in terms of survivability.

BMs just generally bring more to the table in a squad vs squad fight and thus contributing more to overall supply token earnings. However if your squad is already going with a BM, then in this case I'd go with the Seeker, but it's going to come down to what the squad needs. If your squad has neither, or you're going solo, I'd go with the BM any day.

Good post... you make some valid points.

Also... we seem to agree (or at least I think we do :) on the advantage of range vs melee in that Seekers will definitely have a clear edge personal contribution wise, if we focus on the damage dealing aspect of NWs alone. Where I disagree with you (and with Mael too, it seems) is just how much damage dealing contributes to your overall personal score compared to damage soaked.

I've seen you use on more than one occasion a direct comparison between a Psychic and your BM in terms of how your damage soak gives a considerably greater contribution than the Psy's DDing. Well on my server there is a R999 Psy in my faction who... when NW has ended and everyone is declaring their token rewards in faction chat... pulls in a tad under 300 tokens while being in the nation which came dead last. b:shocked

Now I'm sorry... and maybe the BMs on my server kind of suck or something b:chuckle ... but I just don't see any BM racking up the kind of contribution to beat that score... particularly if you transposed that score to the winning nation, you may be looking at 600 tokens. b:shocked

Anyway my point is that I disagree with the downplaying of damage dealt in favor of damage received when it comes to affecting one's personal score and ultimately token count. Of course you can throw the Barb example out there and they do tend to do very well in NW. But when you have 40K HP and are the preferred flag carrier, it's only natural that you're going to be racking up disproportionately more damage soak than just about anyone else. I still haven't seen on average Barb scores beating the top flight DDs out there on my server though.

Secondly... I disagree with your statement that, BMs also can close distances the easiest out of any melee class with their leaps and reckless rush. Even now with all the changes to class skills and so on, that title still belongs to Sins alone. They have practically the same two speed skills as BMs, plus two teleport skills with a range of 30+ m (compare that to reckless rush 15m range) and of course the all important stealth.

BMs on the other hand have essentially the same problem they've had since Beta when it comes to closing in on an opponent... the other dude can see you coming first. b:chuckle

BMs anti kiting skills have gotten an upgrade but other classes pro-kiting skills haven't been static either. Archers can now leap all over the place plus stealth while Wizzies have their arcane defense plus their old distance shrink. Throw in the widespread use of genies and other anti-stun skills all adds up to BMs having to work harder than ever to close the distance gap. And of course as I mentioned in my previous post... the time you're taking to deal with others kiting is time lost that could have been better spent racking up your damage dealing score.

Now on the other side of the equation which is damage soak... I'll concede that melee's will tend to draw more fire than ranged DD's... but only depending on which target they are after. So basically I agree that a BM chasing down a flag carrier is going to be the greater priority to be focus fired than a Seeker doing the chasing... because BM is much faster and greater threat due to being able to lock down the carrier for a longer time which gives the rest of his side time to catch up and eliminate the flag person.

But in open NW PK... basically times like when you're hanging around the center pit waiting for the flag to reset... in my experience I don't see BMs being priority targets at all... unless they jump into the pit waiting for flag to appear... but then that would apply to any class which does the same.

I mean think about it for a second. In open PK, which is the greater threat that everyone simultaneously decides must be dealt with at once... the guy whose range is so limited that he has to run from individual to individual just to do his thing (stun/HF) and mind you, in NWs people tend to be spread out far more than TW, particularly in the second hour when squads who are still together tend to be a rarity ... or the guy who can stand around around and zerk/crit nuke any and everyone within 30m ?

The answer just seems so logical to me... but perhaps I'm missing something. b:surrender

All I know is that when that R9 BM runs past me to roar the Barb/Cleric duo 15m away, the people I'm with haven't taken their attention away from that R999 Seeker/Psy/Archer/Wiz one-shotting people 25 m away, for even one second.
  • Joe - Momaganon
    Joe - Momaganon Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    BMs are the most versatile class in the whole game. You can come up with amazing Strategies and stuff when you're using all weapon paths and skills. There is always a skill for any situation.

But tho to my personal experience I know that playing a BM to it's extend requires massive amounts of skill and virtuosity while playing a seeker is like childsplay compared to that.

So if you want a easy to handle char that works well in NW chose the seeker, if it's skill you posses then I suggest you stick to your BM and play it to it's extend. Excellent BMs are so rare these days. I can't think of any BM on Momaganon server that I would consider even "good" tho all focusing on either fists and axe or axe only which is fail.

Surely you use the r9 axes mostly due to their massive dmg but imo playing a class means playing it with all possibilities and that means Swords, fists, axe and pole.

A nice Weapon setup would be:

r9 rere cast Axe/G16 Dual Axes/Hammers
    G16 Fists (ok that aspect is not recommended for PvP but for PvE even more =P)
    r8rec pole with advanced purge (though you can get this on r8rec axes too, depends on you're playing style)
    G16 dual swords

If you wanna play it like that then go for a BM (: if that's alrdy way too much for you, play seeker :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got at least one alt of any class above level 100.
    All decently geared and skilled (: .
    And the most important thing is: They are all fun to play ^.^ .
    b:laugh
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    BMs are the most versatile class in the whole game. You can come up with amazing Strategies and stuff when you're using all weapon paths and skills. There is always a skill for any situation.

But tho to my personal experience I know that playing a BM to it's extend requires massive amounts of skill and virtuosity while playing a seeker is like childsplay compared to that.

So if you want a easy to handle char that works well in NW chose the seeker, if it's skill you posses then I suggest you stick to your BM and play it to it's extend. Excellent BMs are so rare these days. I can't think of any BM on Momaganon server that I would consider even "good" tho all focusing on either fists and axe or axe only which is fail.

Surely you use the r9 axes mostly due to their massive dmg but imo playing a class means playing it with all possibilities and that means Swords, fists, axe and pole.

A nice Weapon setup would be:

r9 rere cast Axe/G16 Dual Axes/Hammers
    G16 Fists (ok that aspect is not recommended for PvP but for PvE even more =P)
    r8rec pole with advanced purge (though you can get this on r8rec axes too, depends on you're playing style)
    G16 dual swords

If you wanna play it like that then go for a BM (: if that's alrdy way too much for you, play seeker :p
    +1 to this post. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    The seeker is an easy choice because of the range, extra Def levels, and increased damage per hit because of the attacks.
    Truly though, the Bm is going to be more versatile and able to deal considerably more damage if played to it's fullest extent. There are just so few people who actually put the time and effort into mastering their class, that it's not the norm and often overlooked.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Joe - Momaganon
    Joe - Momaganon Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Off-Topic: xD not to fire on a server war...but actually if I look into the forums and posts and stuff...I get the feeling that only ppl who played or are still palying on the sanctuary server are actually playing the game xD at least to it's fullest.

Back-To-topic: Yeah Seeker are pretty easy to handle^^ after all it's just a game but BM's require a whole different amount of skill to be mastered.

A little example: Most bms are just trying to HF and stun lock the enemy down. That is so lame imo. Stun -> trying to purge -> Then using Glacial Spike instead of HF combined with tangling mire and I can assure you the dmg output then will be tremendously higher then with just a plain hf on the enemy. Ofc you can skip that in mass PvP. But using both glacial spike and hf while controlliong the crowd with RotP will result in massive dmg amplification for your fellow party members (saw bms just using spark+HF combo in mass pk, facepalm xD).

The problem is that most ppl don't take the time to look at the possibilities of their class...they see ppl doing some combos and just adapt them. That's no way of playing or well at least not mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got at least one alt of any class above level 100.
    All decently geared and skilled (: .
    And the most important thing is: They are all fun to play ^.^ .
    b:laugh
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Where I disagree with you (and with Mael too, it seems) is just how much damage dealing contributes to your overall personal score compared to damage soaked.

Now I'm sorry... and maybe the BMs on my server kind of suck or something b:chuckle ... but I just don't see any BM racking up the kind of contribution to beat that score... particularly if you transposed that score to the winning nation, you may be looking at 600 tokens. b:shocked

Secondly... I disagree with your statement that, BMs also can close distances the easiest out of any melee class with their leaps and reckless rush. Even now with all the changes to class skills and so on, that title still belongs to Sins alone. They have practically the same two speed skills as BMs, plus two teleport skills with a range of 30+ m (compare that to reckless rush 15m range) and of course the all important stealth.

BMs on the other hand have essentially the same problem they've had since Beta when it comes to closing in on an opponent... the other dude can see you coming first. b:chuckle

But in open NW PK... basically times like when you're hanging around the center pit waiting for the flag to reset... in my experience I don't see BMs being priority targets at all... unless they jump into the pit waiting for flag to appear... but then that would apply to any class which does the same.

I mean think about it for a second. In open PK, which is the greater threat that everyone simultaneously decides must be dealt with at once... the guy whose range is so limited that he has to run from individual to individual just to do his thing (stun/HF) and mind you, in NWs people tend to be spread out far more than TW, particularly in the second hour when squads who are still together tend to be a rarity ... or the guy who can stand around around and zerk/crit nuke any and everyone within 30m ?

Okay these statements alone definitely allude to you having way different (and tbh, worse) experiences than I've had. I think you need to find the better BMs on your server and work with them.

Damage seems to contribute more.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1542891

Mag is hiding some info, and outta respect for him I'm not posting it. So far the assumed math and flat out experience shows that damage received counts for more. Also, it's kinda logical - doing 20k damage to one person in 10 seconds vs taking 40k+ damage from multiple people is gonna be worth more points.

I've been in too many battles where I've embarrassingly done next to no damage, and just run flags and taken damage. I've placed 1st or 2nd, and earned 2k-3k points. Actually one of my 3k'ers last weekend was one of those battles. Of note: I bring in 10k on a lame base lock scenario, and 15-20k contribution otherwise. And mostly I'm a CC BM and do lots of flag running (too much really). I know more attack style BMs with the same, similar, or even lesser gear that score WAY better that I do.

But my secret to that is the same thing I've been saying for weeks: We win instances. Nearly, if not all of them were in. We do 6 v 20s. And each other squad I've spoken with that pulls this off (and better) always has 1-2 good to pro BMs that concentrate on helping the others there win.

I almost always have a seeker with me, and he and I have won 2/3 v 20 battles out of sheer cooperation strategy. Yes, I rank better each time because I take more damage (We've talked charm usage). He beat me once but I had a large section of time where I sat there with my thumb up my [bleep] stun locked while he murdered the flag carrier.

BMs do close distances the best out of melee characters, and heres why:

BM: Higher HP. Better defense balance (Marrows). Leaps x2 for 16m - and they come with chanced antistuns or antidamage (which do work and help). 15s 90% run. 15s 100% run with antistun. 15m Tele Immobilize. 25m Reel In.

Sin: 10s 100% Run, 10s 100% run with antistun, 35m Teleport, 30m Teleport. Deaden Nerves, Tidal Protection.

It's not just about skills to close the distance, but the ability to survive closing that distance too. Also the stealth vs no stealth visibility increases point gain, along with causing people to panic and mis-skill. Sin popping outta stealth you're prepped for and have a moment to think what to do. People rushing you, you tend to be thinking what your doing and how to deal with that, it confuses people.

Now in terms of single target CC Sins win any day, although a lucky BM can keep up. But they don't have the group CC, which is essential in closing the distance - and keeping that distance closed. It's not just single target but the group supporting it too. But you see the sin too, sins popping out of stealth is great and all, but short lived.

Also, flag running or getting rid of people ganking my flag runner - that AoE stun and slow is essential for getting away. I'm pretty much a 2 skill bot in times like that, aoe stun, fissure, and maybe see what else is available to stop, slow down, or minimize the effectiveness of what they can do if I don't run off ahead with the flag or to keep up with the runner. And if my support is there? Amp if I got the chi so they can get rid of them completely.

Now where you said you see everyone spread out more in NW as opposed to TW - holy god man. I'd rant on TW wtf but were talking NW so Ill stick to that. People tend to cram in a 12m space everywhere that I see. At least 3-4 people.

Smarter ones will spread way the hell out, but at the same time - we're talking more board control. If a BM gets in your face with it's myriad of skills, or hell a sin does - most of the time you will move. Utilize that, push people around through threat or CC, you'll be hosing down groups of people with your team instead of single target wiping people.

It's all about team work and manipulating the field. People will chase and dogpile the flag runner, people will cram towards center (fail strategy to win, though), and people will try and dogpile on the guy in the pit (again, fail, but easy to use against people with a good tank and DDs up top).

If you know the behavior of people - Id assume you do by now having done enough NW - it's easy to predict whats going to happen, pro opponents or scrub opponents, and bank on that. When you think that way, its easy to position a BM to wreck the hell out of everything, or setup your squad to wreck the hell outta everything. I try to do it every weekend...and not only is it successful, its fun as hell.

That seeker can 10 second immob one person and wreck them. That BM can 6+ second stun/etc multiple people or one person, and wreck a single target, wreck a group, setup amps so the party can wreck a single or multiple target...and still have further CCs to **** with your opponents. Sure a BM is not gonna easily 40k something at range. But overall with a good attention span, strategy, and playstyle - that BM is gonna create more opportunity for a win and still dish out and take damage.

THAT is why BMs will get prioritied. You get rid of the thing you perceive as a threat, and between stun locks, amps, and various other CCs while the guy is able to zerk crit you? You want that gone or CCed.

Seeker is just perceived as another range DD thats harder to kill that doesn't do omg level damage like a Wizard, Psy, or Archer will (archer moreso cause of that bleeping purge). Sure, a seeker can lock you down a bit until your antistun is ready, and hit you damn hard - but that BM can stop/kill you and your support en masse (and stun you, stopping you from using skills), or amp you so you definitely don't make it. Thats more of a threat, and people are gonna wanna get rid of that first.

Stun sucks more than any other CC skill. Period.

Ofc, I'm a damn sin magnet for ??? reason in NW, Im sure that helps too. Could be 5 BMs on my side and the 4 sins go for me. I think its that I'm a dark elf, and they're jelly I look cooler.

Don't get me wrong on Seekers tho. I very much depend on a range class to stop the damn flag runner or priority target - and it's usually a seeker who gets that immob off so I can ensure Im on top of the guy stun locking, and when he gets away, reeling in or reckless rushing back on top of him. I've done some amazing things duo with a seeker, and that higher survivability the seeker has vs other DD classes is invaluable in those situations.

But they can't replace what a BM does teamwork wise. But they are easier to play for sure.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What a lot of people seem to be leaving out/not counting in is the fact that as a bm you definitely need quite decent gear to even be a factor in pvp whether or not it is 1 v 1. It is even far more difficult living in mass pvp, the attacks can easily be coming from any direction, which is extremely dangerous when you have to get up close and personal.

You can NOT gain any credit when you are getting one shot left and right (even with marrows on). I am not in horribly underdeveloped gear either and still get pwnt so easily its not even funny... at least not to me, and getting owned that badly sure makes it hard to do anything, let alone allow me to see if I actually suck with my bm; which I refuse to believe. I have been told by many people that I am hands down one of the better pve bms they squad with in the longer instances. (rebirth\gods valley being the prime example )

Personally I so prefer nw on my barb or even my own seeker at least on my barb it has some very haxed shields and as for my seeker I can return the favor slightly against the range/mage classes. Albeit they still hit way harder than my seeker at least for the time being.

Either way this is by no means a "giving up bash" on my bm I still very much so plan on gearing and getting better with it in pvp.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Between myself and a R999 Psy with the same gear (both +10) who squads with me, I always get 3-4K contribution more than them in the end even though I get half their kills. So, I'd have to disagree there.

I'm not really sure about the seeker vs BM pre-r9 though... Zerk really makes a big difference for both classes. They'd come about even depending on skill imo.

This guy just thwacked it on the head.

You not only get points for dealing damage but also for taking damage, so if you can handle a little bit of pew pew before closing the distance, which we have a fair share of skills to help. But then the seeker can dish out more damage in less time, so they come out even, but as a BM you have to be ready to take some serious abuse. It all comes down to which you are better at.
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    This guy just thwacked it on the head.

You not only get points for dealing damage but also for taking damage, so if you can handle a little bit of pew pew before closing the distance, which we have a fair share of skills to help. But then the seeker can dish out more damage in less time, so they come out even, but as a BM you have to be ready to take some serious abuse. It all comes down to which you are better at.

This is the truth, which is why cata barbs can get a LOT of tokens without doing much damage at all. The flag runner of Team Pony is a cata barb, and he gets abused like crazy, and only has a +3 weapon, so he doesn't do much damage at all.

Yet most NWs I go to, he gets more tokens than me, while I get easily 100-150+ kills a whole NW.
  • kuroshoppe
    kuroshoppe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I dunno about bm's but I can tell you one thing: Veno's are not good in NW. I have a 95 veno and get an average of 36-40 tokens if I do NW. When I did it on my seeker (89 at that time) I got 88.. Go figure. I have reasonably good gear on both.

However it was hilarious to get killed over and over again on the veno while standing there waving my hands in the air trying to cast something.
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    This is the truth, which is why cata barbs can get a LOT of tokens without doing much damage at all. The flag runner of Team Pony is a cata barb, and he gets abused like crazy, and only has a +3 weapon, so he doesn't do much damage at all.

Yet most NWs I go to, he gets more tokens than me, while I get easily 100-150+ kills a whole NW.

Your teams cata barb isn't a cata barb. He's a nightmare. Barbs can be defeated, nightmares come back every time you close your eyes!

On another note, as a BM if you're really just about screwed by taking too much damage, if you aren't alone you have to remember, once you're down, they're going after your allies. Multiple times has someone else gotten the flag that was not in my squad, and I walked with him, but being the nuisance that I oh so love to be, those r9r2 players that try to roflstomp faceroll him tend to target me because since the carrier keeps running while I use my AoE stun and Blade Hurl, even smack, and my genie helps to keep them away too, they snag on me just to get me out of the way. As a result I know that I'm screwed if the enemy has enough power. Luckily one of my team-mates is a very chi-generous venomancer that will always willingly pass me a spark, not to mention that demon parasitic nova of hers, slapped on with my blade tornado at the very end, if I die, my targets are slowed. That combo has also been known to take out a good 10 people with me.

I can't agree with Maelael more than I already do, the BM is about controlling your enemy. Multiple times I've even allowed people to hit me simply because if theyw ere hitting me, they weren't hitting the flag carrier (nub sins, anyone?) and I just tank them, getting the points from taking the damage and making sure the carrier scores the flag. And when someone else from my squad has the flag, when I'm out of chi or all my CC skills are down, I'll even slap on a buddhas guard if it's readily available, then they just run through and tank all the physicals that come through. In the mean time I dish out some damage to get quick chi on the casters that are channeling and continue to lock them.
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The issue is though, how much longer will soaking damage actually be useful?

Already people are hitting their 3rd cast R9; so what happens to the already depreciating value of supply tokens when the number who have keeps rising? They will end up flooding the markets and driving prices down, which will cause people to jump from cannies to the next item. Each time the worth will continue ticking downwards.

Already we're seeing anywhere from a 10-20k drop a week in supply token worth, which is a tacit proof of the devaluation. Eventually using up charms to soak damage and earn higher contribution will not be as rewarding as simply dealing damage from a safe distance without charm ticking. The length of time it will occur can't be known, but I'd wager it's not likely to be longer than half a year.

So if a BM is already set for the soaking role, it's perfectly fine in modern day NW. But if it will take a while to get there, might not be so useful as thought when they finally get there. Would be terrible to spend so much to do NW, only to find it won't be paying you back as you thought it would.