veno's end-game shard choice

fearying
fearying Posts: 1 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Venomancer
hey.. so im starting a new veno hopefully with a herc and nix from level 1 but im baffled by the shard choices i see in peoples end-game gear.

my thought are more in the direction of adding +magic att gems so as to have the optimal pet healing and damage out put.

If played correctly the veno herself should not even be worried about being hit at all. Where with the other mage classes it perfectly understandable since there is a much higher chance of actually taking damage.

so put simply... why, as a pure PVE pure Mag veno, do i need to add hp or pd gems instead of the magic attack gems .
Post edited by fearying on

Comments

• cawcawwww
    cawcawwww Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    even if u plvl like crazy u might understand better, but one important thing to note is that you cant shard for attck on anything but ur wep

just noticed u start in 2010, shame on u trolololol
  • ClerVoienT - Lost City
    ClerVoienT - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    not trolling havent played in about a year and a half, not interested in my cleric anymore and amped for a veno so was just wondering
  • ClerVoienT - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    then how about this then 170 pd vs 150 hp which whoud be better for wanting to solo(anything).
  • OO_Venus_Oo - Momaganon
    OO_Venus_Oo - Momaganon Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If played correctly the veno herself should not even be worried about being hit at all.
    Well start playing and we'll see how correctly can you play b:laugh
  • ClerVoienT - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    got to lvl 31 already with no problem, using glacial walker
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    got to lvl 31 already with no problem, using glacial walker
    fearying wrote: »
    hey.. so im starting a new veno hopefully with a herc and nix from level 1 but im baffled by the shard choices i see in peoples end-game gear.

my thought are more in the direction of adding +magic att gems so as to have the optimal pet healing and damage out put.

If played correctly the veno herself should not even be worried about being hit at all. Where with the other mage classes it perfectly understandable since there is a much higher chance of actually taking damage.

so put simply... why, as a pure PVE pure Mag veno, do i need to add hp or pd gems instead of the magic attack gems .

You can only shard with +magic attack on weapons. If you use it on your armour it will add +magic resistance instead.

Whilst during the early levels you may not be hit at all, during the later levels bosses have nasty AOEs and finally at endgame you'll find yourself being hit a lot by AOE, mobs and bosses in many situations so having decent HP and defences is necessary to survive.

If you have low refines, Citrines is the way to go. If you get higher refines then you should switch to Garnets. There are also choices such as Vit. stones and JOSD but I don't know what gear you're planning to get and what's your budget.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Full DoT is great for your situation, but you will want to include some swap equips (typically neck, belt, cape) until you get ones that do both like puzzle neck, warsong/ jungle belt.

I've gone with tankier equips on my other mages because their self buff aides them for that (stone barrier, verdant shell). With a mere 6.5k hp; a pure dot veno no R9 and no S3 can easily tank Snakefist (and have decent aggro), and pull full groups in BH metal.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Okui - Heavens Tear
    Okui - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013

At this time, no you wouldn't have an issue with being hit, if you use your pet correctly, however, at end game, there will be plenty of times where you will be hit. If you want to solo TT, there are bosses that have an aoe, even in solo mode TT. The Warsong and Lunar bosses can have aoes in end-game Bounty Hunters. If you don't have good survivability, you can be dead very easily (as I have seen with quite a number of casters), even if you go into fox form for a little more defense.

Also, over time you will outdamage your pet once in awhile and may get hit as well, especially if you make a critical hit.

Because of that, I always prefer survivability to attack power. My veno uses a combination of citrines with gear that has physical defense bonuses (such as two Sign of Antiquity: Chaos rings).

If you are going for pure pve purposes and want good attack power, might I suggest Morai gear. The magic weapon is excellent with its slaying levels, and you'll still be able to heal your pet well.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At this time, no you wouldn't have an issue with being hit, if you use your pet correctly, however, at end game, there will be plenty of times where you will be hit.

Taking an occasional hit: not tanking.
    If you want to solo TT, there are bosses that have an aoe, even in solo mode TT.

Waste of time for veno, and the AoEs I encountered were avoidable.
    The Warsong and Lunar bosses can have aoes in end-game Bounty Hunters.

Phys or Mag; avoidable or not? Did I mention veno w/ 6.5k hp full DoT can easily tank Snakefist, and Genesiac? You only need 5k hp for Cannonfist's aoe. Hauntery is a wuss. In general you have to invest far more in survivability to be an Assassin.
    If you don't have good survivability, you can be dead very easily (as I have seen with quite a number of casters), even if you go into fox form for a little more defense.

I've also seen casters die often simply for not killing fast enough.
    Also, over time you will outdamage your pet once in awhile and may get hit as well, especially if you make a critical hit.

There should NEVER be a time when you can't out dd your pet. Pets use skills for aggro just like Barbs. Likewise venos can use skills to avoid aggro like sage soul degeneration, bramble, ironwood, and amp.
    Because of that, I always prefer survivability to attack power. My veno uses a combination of citrines with gear that has physical defense bonuses (such as two Sign of Antiquity: Chaos rings).

Those rings aren't really much of a sacrifice. They have -6%ch, and +3 crit. Based on your statements; I was picturing you with the phys rings.
    If you are going for pure pve purposes and want good attack power, might I suggest Morai gear. The magic weapon is excellent with its slaying levels, and you'll still be able to heal your pet well.

Morai is ****. You're mentioning end game bosses previously and now talking about warding / slaying levels that are unaffected by them! The only way you're going to get decent heals from that weapon is to spend as much on refines as you could have got a much better G16 S3 weapon for! None of the equips are worth refining or wasting time / resources on. Morai equips is a sick joke pw played on us.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited January 2013

you need to learn it yourself:
    - Illusion Lord Armageddon in TT3-3
    - last Wraith Attack Boss
    - Harpy Wraith
    - (Vile)Drake Fling in Lunar Glade
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss