Which char would you play first, cleric or wizard?

Options
mm2000
mm2000 Posts: 218 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Cleric
Both will be built as pure magic, which is best for a caster class in general in my opinion.

I know the history of clerics since I played one till high level which made me disappointed then and I was only doing PVE then since I haven't healed enough (that was the time when people try to tank without a barb when people had no idea how to refine to +8, I didn't knew back then either).

I'll see what gear I will think of getting.
Post edited by mm2000 on

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    DD = wizard.
    Support = cleric.

Whichever you want to do more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Amourie - Heavens Tear
    Amourie - Heavens Tear Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I played cleric as my first char. Then I made a wiz and played that for a few months. Realized I hate wizard and love cleric. The end.

It's just your preference.
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    not saying you cant DD as a cleric but if you are a cleric and want to join a squad as a DD, you probably will not be able to convince anyone to let you join. so in terms of squad things, unless you like healing people all the time and never using your attacks, go wizzy.

but i find it a lot easier to solo bosses as a cleric because you can heal yourself a lot easier.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Its amazing how many squad's "LF 3 DD's" and you whisper that you're a cleric will then say "we already have a cleric."

...take two! One of us can dd, one can heal. And when the **** gets real? Two healers! When bloodpaint rules the day? Two DDs!

You're also asking the cleric forums on if clerics think clerics should be played. Obviously, we do and our votes will skew that way.

I enjoy playing cleric more than any other caster, but you asked which should be played first and I found it really helpful to play a wizard because it helped me to focus on a mobs element type and learn what they're weak to. You see a fire mob, hit it with water. See a water mob, hit it with earth. That's been really useful as I leveled other classes.

Tonight I was TWing and our barb went "ouch, I just got hit for 16k by a... a cleric? wtf type of cleric hits for 16k?" A wizard can hit a barb for 30k and we go "damn wizzies" because we kind of expect it. Imo, wizzies really are better dd's no matter how much cleric's protest. But cleric's are more versatile and have more jobs in PvE.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Depend, if you want to be a DD go wizz, for healing and support go cleric.

You said you played cleric before so actually your question should be ''Which char would you play as second char?''.

You played cleric and didn't like it so you should go for wizz. I think you already know that cleric are not take as DD in squad and it's hard by moments for wizz to find squad for the bh100 while cleric get spot in every squad for anything, so just chose what is your play style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Skite - Lost City
    Skite - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    From a wizards point of view... I started out as a cleric, and really enjoyed it. Considering the aps frenzy nowadays, a cleric can actually help as much as if not more than a wizard with.... Seals! b:pleased

All jokes aside, I can support as a wizzy, though not too well. Your decision is mainly versatility of a cleric over quite a bit more DD as a wizard, and recognition as a DD.
    Skite the Terribad Wizard is here to help!
  • Elanxu - Dreamweaver
    Elanxu - Dreamweaver Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Its amazing how many squad's "LF 3 DD's" and you whisper that you're a cleric will then say "we already have a cleric."

...take two! One of us can dd, one can heal. And when the **** gets real? Two healers! When bloodpaint rules the day? Two DDs!

You're also asking the cleric forums on if clerics think clerics should be played. Obviously, we do and our votes will skew that way.

I enjoy playing cleric more than any other caster, but you asked which should be played first and I found it really helpful to play a wizard because it helped me to focus on a mobs element type and learn what they're weak to. You see a fire mob, hit it with water. See a water mob, hit it with earth. That's been really useful as I leveled other classes.

Tonight I was TWing and our barb went "ouch, I just got hit for 16k by a... a cleric? wtf type of cleric hits for 16k?" A wizard can hit a barb for 30k and we go "damn wizzies" because we kind of expect it. Imo, wizzies really are better dd's no matter how much cleric's protest. But cleric's are more versatile and have more jobs in PvE.

this is pretty much the best response you can make.

lots of people in this game will naturally attribute DDing capabilities with class. there are so many other factors that affect someone's DDing capabilities. weapon and refinement on the weapon are two primary factors, of course. and some factors that are almost NEVER considered are channeling, ping, attack levels, and attack skill level, all of which factor into DDing.

class is overrated. it is surprisingly easy to set up your char so you can successfully do the roles of another class, yet people underestimate that.

the one thing imo that really actually affects how wizzies can hit harder than clerics, is that the r9 weapon refines for more for wizzies.
    the loser fail nab cleric from dreamweaver who quit pwi, but still wanders the forums.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Wiz are not that much better of a 1-1 dd than cleric, and actually I think I prefer a good cleric as a dd. There's a HUGE difference when you jump to veno or mystic as dd. Wiz however are more of a tank than a cleric can be due to shields.

I really wouldn't recommend wiz to anyone. Their heals are almost useless, their 1-1 dd is bottom rung, and their aoe dd is circumstantial. They're best suited toward someone that gets off on seeing large numbers.

Clerics with the inception of Morai now have Ultra Violet, Magical Shackle, and Mark of Weakness. Not all clerics have these skills; but they do make clerics potentially better than wiz in most circumstances.

I don't regret making my cleric because it's buffs are awesome and being able to revive and support alts rocks, but I much prefer Mystic. I do wonder why I bothered with wiz.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear
    SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Clerics and Wizards are perfect opposites except for one sole shared attribute which is magic.

Clerics are decent DD but they're also support and as long as you play in squads you're much more likely to play full support role than anything else.

Wizards were meant to be the the kick-*** offensive magic class but as far as the developing of PW goes Wizard has always been neglected so while I love playing my wizzy I can't really recommend the class to anyone.