How does normal attack beat skills damage?

Options
Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Archer
Past threads I've read that normal attack beats using skills, how does it? Is it weapon dependent? My archer will be going g16 Crossbow full time(pure build/no aps-full g16) so he won't have the speed attack of other archers who use bows/slingshots/APS build. Will I still have higher damage on normal attack regardless or would spamming skills/BOA be better for my case? Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. I can't comprehend this since I'm new to archer and used to 5aps, so seeing 0.62(crossbow)+0.10 aps boost from G16 wrists beat skill damage doesn't make sense.
Post edited by Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    In your case, since you are using a crossbow, it may be true that spamming skills deal more damage. However, most everyone is using a bow with -interval wrists.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    for pve, just auto attack.
    as noob archers running instances before assassins existed, we would pull aggro with no aps gear and tt 60 xbow just by auto attacking. We would use skills on a macro as an attempt to not pull aggro. People used to see me skill spamming and get upset with me minimizing damage. I'm currently full g16 armor and bow with no aps whatsoever and I far higher damage over time with just auto attacking.

Archers have the highest auto attack damage per hit of any class, but consequently the weakest skill damage excluding the skills with long cast/charge/channel, but those result in less damage still. Only time you use skills is for aoeing. For attacking a single target, basically just stunning arrow for crit and quickshot for faster shooting (assuming demon skills, those are the best 2) and on a boss open with sharpened tooth arrow if you do not have bloodvow. You may also if you do not have quickshot, hold down your take aim shortcut key for faster chi gathering so you can spark more often. In pvp just stun and quickshot and pew pew pew with mixed defensive skills against all aa/la opponents. Against HA mix in metal attacks with your stuns and pew pew pews, because metal will do more but pew pew pew will still do alot of pain. Never use stormrage eagleon though, and use thunderous blast sparingly because even as a metal skill, its channeling can get you killed in pvp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I was referring to PVE, sorry didn't say that. Mainly lunar farming shooting the bosses from out of aoe range. but thank you for your very detailed post Geckofreak. I almost have all the sage skills, I'm just missing a very few 1 of which is sage quickshot but that won't take long to obtain via NW.
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    Ignathas - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    actually if i didnt have the bow i would go xbow for archer.. it has theoretically and i think practically highest possible dph in game.. if you hit max attack and crit it it should be sick.. but idk any archers with higher refine then +8 on xbow ttheyre still pretty rare.. and aps i had full aps gear on archer and now have 0 aps gear, the difference is insignificant.. ofc its better to shoot a bit faster, but u cant feel it as much, its not sin after all.. and archers skills are very important, but overall if you take dmg per minute you would hit by simple normal attack cos of no channeling true, but also depends on who are u trying to kill, if you killing 'increased pdef' mob you would hit way more with thundershock+ lightning strike + even thunderblast then normal attacking
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It's just math. Most archer skills take twice as long as a normal shot to cast and do only 20% more damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Do skills really take twice as long? It's like 1.6s for the faster skills, while his xbow is at about 1.5s per attack. The only concern then is delay between casts because it takes more human input.

Also Barrage pretty much absolutely fails at single target DPS compared to normal attacks. People that Barraged during Tiger Boss always sucked :d
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    demon barrage hits nicely but ofc not during tiger event.. but i wonder if increasing channeling increases intervals between barrage hits, or only how fast he casts barrage? i use base 'channeling' buff but even if i think it helps it might be just my imagination cos its insignificant.. there was some guy testing 'channeling' build on archer earlier but idk what he made of it, cos his gear sucked in general and couldnt play like that but still how that affects skill dmg i wonder? its still relevant to the topic ;P
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What in the case of sage BOA if I were lucky enough to suddenly get it via cube or whenever it comes from? Even Sage BOA with w/ full G16/Xbow wouldn't hit harder then normal attack? If so I'll just keep sage BOA for NW/mob gathering only. In PVE farming single DPH boss instance using a Jone's blessing, I'm asking.

10 BOA: 4585.6.

Sage BOA: 6639.0

+ 200% base physical damage according to Etacomb.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well you said you got it for lunar. Demon archer definitely out dd's sage archer, and slingshot definitely out dds xbow (I have dps calcs somewhere, ill dig up) but demon barrage is 2nd strongest aoe in game after sage vortex. However barrage while hitting massive damage only hits once ever 3 seconds (2.5 seconds with sage) and ends up being less damage on a single target by far. With sage quickshot once you get it, since you are already sage, I suggest you use that and normal attack in between sparks. Should do fast damage. If you do not have a full armor set that gives you attack level then also use full aps gear for damage. aps stacks and damage will be best with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    When people say archers should stick to normal attacks they mean on bosses and triple sparking every opportunity. Once you take sparking into account this method destroys any other strategy against a boss.

If your an inveterate skill spammer than switch to seeker.

Archer skills are mostly for control, such as freezes and stuns and trying to spike damage on the first shot against an enemy in a situation where the cast time for that first shot isn't relevant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I guess it would depend on your weapon and dex. On most endgame archers base damage should be at least more than 4 times the weapon damage especially with Masteries and buffs counted in....

Barrage offers an extra 200% weapon damage and a 6k damage add-on, which one might estimate as an extra 400% weapon damage because 3k weapon attack is pretty typical of average gears, so suppose your multiplier to weapon attack is somehow less than 4 or your weapon attack is lower, Barrage might match the damage output if we're assuming you attack twice in the time of one Barrage wave.

Or more simply, normal attacks open up the opportunity to pop sparks while Barrages can't, so by that normal attacks should do more damage.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well you said you got it for lunar. Demon archer definitely out dd's sage archer, and slingshot definitely out dds xbow (I have dps calcs somewhere, ill dig up) but demon barrage is 2nd strongest aoe in game after sage vortex. However barrage while hitting massive damage only hits once ever 3 seconds (2.5 seconds with sage) and ends up being less damage on a single target by far. With sage quickshot once you get it, since you are already sage, I suggest you use that and normal attack in between sparks. Should do fast damage. If you do not have a full armor set that gives you attack level then also use full aps gear for damage. aps stacks and damage will be best with that.

Got like 10 of the skills, BOA isn't 1 of them sadly but I'll work on getting it via farming cube of fate. And yeah I see your point, guess I'll leave my archer to auto attack on bosses then. Thanks for the good points^^ and everybody else too.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Oh one more thing, auto attacking is simpler, can walk away

Back in 2009 lv 60 archers with a rock on the keyboard, a ton of npc bows and arrows, would solo soul tamer in like 8 hours b:laugh

The perfect shards were worth it though, sold like for 15m
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Oh one more thing, auto attacking is simpler, can walk away

Back in 2009 lv 60 archers with a rock on the keyboard, a ton of npc bows and arrows, would solo soul tamer in like 8 hours b:laugh

The perfect shards were worth it though, sold like for 15m

Soul tamer?
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Soul tamer?

My bad, always mix up sword tamer and soul hunter.

Soul hunterb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    actually yea if youre lvl 10 and ur physical att is 4-10 and skill dmg adds additional dmg by 200 so you would hit more spamming skills.. depends individually i guess, most here are 100+ and at this lvl/wep the attack itself is huge and additional attack means nothing,
    and i guess noone knows about channeling affecting barrage :P
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    for pve, just auto attack.
    as noob archers running instances before assassins existed, we would pull aggro with no aps gear and tt 60 xbow just by auto attacking. We would use skills on a macro as an attempt to not pull aggro. People used to see me skill spamming and get upset with me minimizing damage. I'm currently full g16 armor and bow with no aps whatsoever and I far higher damage over time with just auto attacking.

I never, ever understood this: you are wasting mana in order to deal less damage.

It would be more efficient to simply stop attacking.
  • Aquilez - Sanctuary
    Aquilez - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    (2.5 seconds with sage)

demon, sage take 33% less dmg
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I never, ever understood this: you are wasting mana in order to deal less damage.

Or just carry a lower level weapon. I have a Wind and Clouds and my Rank 8 bow in my invo if I somehow need to deal less damage.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Mooooooooo - Lost City
    Mooooooooo - Lost City Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options

yep I always facepalm when I hear something about "having to lessen my damage". When you have to deal less damage, you probably should have realized the +12 weapon is a waste going with those +3 armor.
    youtube channel: youtube.com/user/chezedude
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options

They get even more upset at that toob:chuckle Minimizing damage upsets them, then doing no damage will really upset them.

However that was referring to back in 2009-2010, mainly the early days of bh, and when we ran tt 1-x with lv 50-70 squads. Nowadays I max out my damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Facerolled - Raging Tide
    Facerolled - Raging Tide Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Or just carry a lower level weapon. I have a Wind and Clouds and my Rank 8 bow in my invo if I somehow need to deal less damage.

I get it! Because using W&C + arrows = 0 damage due to incorrect ammunition type!

b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    boogiepanda | Demon Archer || Facerolled | Demon Wizard

tinyurl.com/PWIArcherWizardPvP
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I get it! Because using W&C + arrows = 0 damage due to incorrect ammunition type!

b:avoid

>.>

Obviously you'd carry ammo for it >:o
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Options

You do it to look shiny and sparkly, or due to being clueless/weird.

Much like why male archers will stormrage bosses.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    You do it to look shiny and sparkly, or due to being clueless/weird.

Much like why male archers will stormrage bosses.

No no no archers use stormrage to make babies. Duh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited January 2013
    Options
    No no no archers use stormrage to make babies. Duh

Key word, Gecko: Male.

Of course the females know stormrage is for babies. b:cute
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Key word, Gecko: Male.

Of course the females know stormrage is for babies. b:cute

I saw through that already. The males do it to pretend they are making babies but can't because they are ***, but they need to pretend or else us females will realize their worthlessness and remove them from elven society
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    O,o
    i have a baby archer lvl 58, looks exactly like me b:cute
  • opkossy
    edited January 2013
    Options
    O,o
    i have a baby archer lvl 58, looks exactly like me b:cute

Adopted + Plastic Surgery. D:<
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Adopted + Plastic Surgery. D:<

You haven't seen Ig. His toon's appearance makes you want to puke. Poor baby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]