About Frostblade ...

Options
Odinna - Dreamweaver
Odinna - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Wizard
Hi!

I know I play cleric but some day in W2 squad was with a Wizzy and I asked for Frostblade and he told me, "You cant be affected by that buff is only for melee weapons" and that really confused me ... I know that magic shards only affect melee attacks but Frostblade? How is possible that a Wizzy cant use his own buff? This cant be true.

The skill description says

Place an icy sheen on a squad member's weapon,
causing their normal attacks to deal 40% of your
base magic attack as extra Water damage for 15 minutes.

(got from ecatomb.net)

My conclusion: The wizzy dont know what is he talking about and Frost can add damage to melee and magic attacks. Am I right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thank You so much Silvy for the sig! b:pleased
Post edited by Odinna - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Facerolled - Raging Tide
    Facerolled - Raging Tide Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It is. Normal in this sense means auto attack. Unless the wizard is wacking a target with its weapon, it is not useful in anyway except aesthetically to the wizard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    boogiepanda | Demon Archer || Facerolled | Demon Wizard

tinyurl.com/PWIArcherWizardPvP
  • Skite - Lost City
    Skite - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Well, it really does have its uses. Besides random melee dd's being able to go through phys immune buffs and mobs, it also gives 20 chi at level 11. So much wonderful chi...b:pleased
    Skite the Terribad Wizard is here to help!
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Well, it really does have its uses. Besides random melee dd's being able to go through phys immune buffs and mobs, it also gives 20 chi at level 11. So much wonderful chi...b:pleased

She mean as buff.

The wizz is right the buff don't add damage on caster skills, it's only on normal attack (melee).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Skite - Lost City
    Skite - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I never denied that. Just stated two of its perks.
    Skite the Terribad Wizard is here to help!
  • Lord_Mot - Harshlands
    Lord_Mot - Harshlands Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    As has been stated above, the buff is of no direct use to a caster except possibly a fox form veno. I do b:chuckle when I see an R9 +10 wizzy buffing himself and the cleric/mystic/psy with FB in an instance. That just screams "Powerleveled CSing Noob"
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't.b:chuckle
  • Illyn - Raging Tide
    Illyn - Raging Tide Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    As has been stated above, the buff is of no direct use to a caster except possibly a fox form veno. I do b:chuckle when I see an R9 +10 wizzy buffing himself and the cleric/mystic/psy with FB in an instance. That just screams "Powerleveled CSing Noob"

Not true, I sometimes buff everyone for chi and for the cool light effect. xD
  • Lord_Mot - Harshlands
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ok, good point b:surrender. Sometimes my wife wants the cool glowy hand on her veno b:laugh
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world... those that understand binary and those that don't.b:chuckle
  • Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

I refuse to start anything unlesss everyone has a cool shiny blue light on their weapon. Even in an all caster squad
    I <3 A lot of people
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Think of frostblade as more akin to an archer's Blazing arrow or a barb's Poison Fang. Passive elemental attack add on to melee weapon damage. Static water damage based off of your physical weapon attack.

Additionally, the damage range on your phys weap will determine the added damage as well. Weapons with larger spikes seem to benefit more on a dph basis than those that do not (eg bows/axes vs claws).

A good way to test this is on phys immune targets (like caster nirvy).

Also there is a similar thread to this one on page 2, linking to another more detailed thread about the mechanics of Blazing Arrow (which is basically how frostblade works as well).

tl;dr Shiny Hands for everyone \o/
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • mm2000
    mm2000 Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Frostblade is pretty nice on my barb and veno, considering that they are both melee classes, I used to use this account for my wizard to buff them with frost blade, really useful in my opinion.
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I frequently get casters raging at me for not giving them frostblade. When I tell them it doesn't do anything useful for them the response is always something like "I don't care I want a shiny blue sparkle on my weapon." So I have gotten in the habit of giving it to everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SynfulDream - Dreamweaver
    SynfulDream - Dreamweaver Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

Since I leveled to 101 by quests alone, I was a little offended at that statement but can understand why you would think think that. I buff squad members routinely whether or not they are casters due to frequent requests for that buff but mostly because I gain chi in the bargain-a win win deal. :D
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    it is not useful in anyway except aesthetically to the wizard.

I believe the point of Frostblade is to give the melee a damage boost so wizzies don't get aggro and die. Seems like not dieing would be useful to a wizard, ijs.

As stated above the skill only effects your "normal" attacks, not your skills. Since casters use skills, not normal attacks, it doesn't effect them. I also believe this skill is glitched and its 40% of the receivers base magic attack, not the casters. Seeing wizzies with 20k ave base magic attacks and yet the skill adds minimal dps increase leads me to believe this.

What makes me laugh is when the only person in the squad with this buff is the wizzy. Ask them for it on your barb or bm and alot of them will tell you "its a magic buff, you don't need it"
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I also believe this skill is glitched and its 40% of the receivers base magic attack, not the casters. Seeing wizzies with 20k ave base magic attacks and yet the skill adds minimal dps increase leads me to believe this.

Not so much a glitch as poor localization. One of many skills that say one thing but actually do another here. The older Engrish translations of the game many played prior to PWI were far more accurate even if they weren't as... readable.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The buff isn't based on anyone's magic attack. It is based on the receiver's physical attack (contrary to the description). But that would be super OP if I could add 40% of my own magic attack (18,000 base) to my assassin's weapon (8000 base phy attack) and then go farming with essentially double damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Irca - Harshlands
    Irca - Harshlands Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hi!

I know I play cleric but some day in W2 squad was with a Wizzy and I asked for Frostblade and he told me, "You cant be affected by that buff is only for melee weapons" and that really confused me ... I know that magic shards only affect melee attacks but Frostblade? How is possible that a Wizzy cant use his own buff? This cant be true.

The skill description says

Place an icy sheen on a squad member's weapon,
    causing their normal attacks to deal 40% of your
    base magic attack as extra Water damage for 15 minutes.

(got from ecatomb.net)

My conclusion: The wizzy dont know what is he talking about and Frost can add damage to melee and magic attacks. Am I right?

they are right...not actually useful for a wiz except it is sparkly and pretty lol. It's the equivalent of putting element shards in a purely mag weapon...pretty pointless. See this article that also clears up a few more myths. Frostblade is covered in the section about element shards

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Myths_and_Misinformation
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lord_Mot - Harshlands
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Since I leveled to 101 by quests alone, I was a little offended at that statement but can understand why you would think think that. I buff squad members routinely whether or not they are casters due to frequent requests for that buff but mostly because I gain chi in the bargain-a win win deal. :D

My apologies for offending. It was not my intent. It appears that I have underestimated the aesthetic benefit of this skill, as well as the chi gain. I also leveled on quests alone, having been in FC a grand total of twice, for the quests, and I have to admit that until I was in my mid 70s (which, once upon a time, took months) I never left home without a glowy hand, loving the extra damage I believed it gave me, until an elder wizzy educated me.
  • MetzliDemon - Harshlands
    MetzliDemon - Harshlands Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    they are right...not actually useful for a wiz except it is sparkly and pretty lol. It's the equivalent of putting element shards in a purely mag weapon...pretty pointless. See this article that also clears up a few more myths. Frostblade is covered in the section about element shards

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Myths_and_Misinformation

Wow!... Isn't it too bad a wiz having a skill that it's useless for himself (except for the chi and the appearance)?! Basically I never played a wizard, tried one but human quest under lvl 20 are boring as b:fatb so I deleted it, and played a little bit with my cousin's wiz above lvl 20 but never lvled it too much till get the frostblade buff.. So all I know about wizzies is by reading what people say about them and observing them :P But never imagined their buff didn't have any effect on magic classes O.o
    I feel so noob now because I putted a shard of wood damage on my veno's magic weapon.. And my veno is a magic veno b:embarrass b:worried b:shutup
    MetzliDemon - 102 Celestial Demon Assassin f:grin
    AmyDemon - 96 Demon Cleric
    ShekmetDemon - 81 Venomancer
    MictianDemon - 68 Blademaster
    HecateDemon - 60 Mystic
    AhrinamDemon - 50 Psychic
    AliahDemon - 24 Seeker
    And there's a 75 Barbarian too! f:cute
  • BlastFlare - Dreamweaver
    BlastFlare - Dreamweaver Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I just use it on everyone to build chi, and it "looks pretty" b:shutup ... but I like to spark+ buff it on melee classes. b:laugh (I can't use 3 sparks yet)
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The buff isn't based on anyone's magic attack. It is based on the receiver's physical attack (contrary to the description). But that would be super OP if I could add 40% of my own magic attack (18,000 base) to my assassin's weapon (8000 base phy attack) and then go farming with essentially double damage.

No: it's based on magic attack which is why it's almost pointless most of the time to use on melee toons. There are melee equips that add matk like SoES rings, and more recently S3 nirvana, so I may just start using it more randomly.
    Sakubatou wrote:
    I believe the point of Frostblade is to give the melee a damage boost so wizzies don't get aggro and die. Seems like not dieing would be useful to a wizard, ijs.

The only melee that would make good use of it regularly would be one with high matk like a Venomancer.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I know some wizz buff everyone for chi or for the glowing hands, but when I see a wizz buff casters I can't keep myself to think that they should probably read the skill description. xD

I think some wizz think that cause it's a wizz buff that work on magic class. Sometime people believe some weird stuff without any reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
This discussion has been closed.