World chat item bidding

Options
Evanera - Heavens Tear
Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
I know this has been going on for years now, but it's also been lingering in my mind ever since.

Random food for though topic.

Remember the days 3~ years ago when someone would world chat to sell an item, a couple people would pm them, and prices and current offers would be exchanged via pm's to those individuals? Now it's all about "S> item 5m obo" "c/o 5.1m" "c/o 5.2m" "going once" "going twice" "sold" blah blah blah so on and so forth.

My question is, what prompted people to ALWAYS (I've been merching (on and off mind you) for a long long time and I have only a few times encountered people that world chatted once, and pmed the rest of the time to try and sell something) have their item in world chat as an auctioned item IRL?

Thoughts?
Post edited by Evanera - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Skite - Lost City
    Skite - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Most new merchants never had to learn the fine art, and waste teles spectacularly.
    Skite the Terribad Wizard is here to help!
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I doubt it's real bidding in most of the cases tbh. Seems more like public fakebidding to push your own price up and give the impression the item is worth more than it actually is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Horosho - Lost City
    Horosho - Lost City Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I doubt it's real bidding in most of the cases tbh. Seems more like public fakebidding to push your own price up and give the impression the item is worth more than it actually is.

Some people may fall for it, so it isn't a bad sell tactic.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I always pm the people after selling, and only offer to jack up the price if i get 3 or more pms in same tele. I cant stand the "auctioneers" on world chat. always all caps.....
    SELLING (INSERT PEICEOFJUNK HERE) C/O (INSERT OVERPRICED NUMBRE) BY (INSERT RANDOM FRIEND NAME WHO DOESN'T NEED IT BUT IS WILLING TO LIE FOR THEIR AUCTIONEER FRIEND TO GET MOAR MONEY) GOING ONCE! BUY OUT AT (DOUBLE THE PRICE).

Though the built in auction system sucks. I can't stand that they take 5% away from us.

I did however one time, with a mystic aeu skill, jack up the price like this because noa was the one who wanted it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Sometime I see fake bid, people using their alts name as c/o, that just make me lol. I personally don't care about it, when I want something I'll pm a price and if the person don't sell to me than I'll just check later from someone else.

Often people will try to gain a few millions over.

Example:

IfailToSell: WTS demure set, C/O 15m by IloveDemure.
    Me: 20m
    IfailToSell: I got offer of 23m, if you bid 25m I let you buy without continuing the wc.
    Me: No thx, I don't wanna buy over 20m.
    IfailToSell: Ok if you change your mind let me know.

IfailToSell: WTS demure set 25m pm me.

5-10 minutes later:

IfailToSell: Hey do you still wanna buy for 20m?

Seriously every time I pm someone with a price they ask a few millions more saying they have a offer higher than me, than I say no and get a pm 5-10 minutes later saying if I still want it I can buy at the price I offered.

I guess with some naive people that work and they will pay the 5m more they ask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Toomaga - Heavens Tear
    Toomaga - Heavens Tear Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Sometime I see fake bid, people using their alts name as c/o, that just make me lol. I personally don't care about it, when I want something I'll pm a price and if the person don't sell to me than I'll just check later from someone else.

Often people will try to gain a few millions over.

Example:

IfailToSell: WTS demure set, C/O 15m by IloveDemure.
    Me: 20m
    IfailToSell: I got offer of 23m, if you bid 25m I let you buy without continuing the wc.
    Me: No thx, I don't wanna buy over 20m.
    IfailToSell: Ok if you change your mind let me know.

IfailToSell: WTS demure set 25m pm me.

5-10 minutes later:

IfailToSell: Hey do you still wanna buy for 20m?

Seriously every time I pm someone with a price they ask a few millions more saying they have a offer higher than me, than I say no and get a pm 5-10 minutes later saying if I still want it I can buy at the price I offered.

I guess with some naive people that work and they will pay the 5m more they ask.

Personally, this is usually the easiest way for me to tell if someone is fake bidding with an alt.Though I think what becomes annoying is when I want to sell something and I say 'PM Offer', which is followed by a PM asking me 'how much I want for it'.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Saw tons of these kind of people that use:

- Fake bids
    - Never tell the item price, they say "offer", you say a price, if you're lucky you get a "no ty", otherwise you get silence, but he won't say the price no matter what
    - Keeps wc'ing for 5-10 minutes after you offered the highest bid, like "c/o 2M anymore?",after 2 mins"c/o 2M anymore????",after 3 mins "c/o 2M anymore??? come on!!",after 5 minutes "c/o 2M anymore?!! its *insert item attribute here like its +5 or its pure white(fash)* people!",and so on....
    - Pretends to acept your offer in world chat (e.g. 30M for a Deicide), then in pm they say "35M ok?" b:shutup

b:angry me hates chu people! b:angry
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • spoonweg
    spoonweg Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    i stop selling items over wc a long time ago.
    most ppl try to scam you and pm really underpriced offers or are just to nubish to know how hard some items are to get.

thats way to boring and i only set up a catshop with a price i think is fair.
    no need to get fast cash, so i can wait.

best example is bracers of bloodmoon.
    ppl see only "Oh -intervall..." and then they send offers like tt-mold prices.
    if you tell them you dont sell under 20-30m, then they call you a nub.

those days, were most only hyper fc....the bracers are not needed.
    i personal like them, since i level slow and i take them up to level 90.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    spoonweg wrote: »
    i stop selling items over wc a long time ago.
    most ppl try to scam you and pm really underpriced offers or are just to nubish to know how hard some items are to get.

thats way to boring and i only set up a catshop with a price i think is fair.
    no need to get fast cash, so i can wait.

Wise words b:pleased.

The problem is that the "new merchants" take after the pwi bidding hall system. That bidding system is a troll i think. No rhyme or reason prices change. It does show who is a silly cash shopper. Someone paying 15~20 gold for a blazing tempest, or someone paying 10~20 gold for sage dagger devotion.

Most often if i sell in world chat, i know the price i want, if someone offers in a pm, i sell it. Merchants who make things work have come to realise, vloume = better in some items. I sold a warsong belt for 80m, and sold and bought 4 more in 4 month period. Another seller stood by for 90m, ended up selling for 68m. But hey, why would people read forums on tips, knowledge b:chuckle
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    A bunch of world chat auctioneers get their prices from regular auction, but with the ammount of people who spend hours hunting for deals at auctioneers, most things left in auction are overpriced (50m for tt 90 cape?) and when you want to buy/sell these things, they use those ridiculous auction prices. Made the tt 90 cape for like 18m tyvm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Laphroaig - Raging Tide
    Laphroaig - Raging Tide Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

Exact reason I never buy items offered in wc that have "make/pm offer" or "c/o"

The only time I buy from people selling items in wc, is if they say "selling [insert random item I am looking for here] for xx amount of coins that I think is reasonable"

Otherwise I buy from AH or catshops.

I also never buy items from people that wc IN ALL CAPS their item they are selling as I find all caps typing brutally annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" - Peter Clemenza

Level 101 kinky Demon BM and exquisite scotch sipper
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    After bidding on some stuff that I actually want... only to not get response for 10 minutes even though s/he was wc'ing my bid. By that time auction ends, I am already doing something else and already moved on. Now I bid on stuff that I never had the intention to buy... just to drag it out and make the said person waste teles.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Now I bid on stuff that I never had the intention to buy... just to drag it out and make the said person waste teles.

Great ideab:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Liam_ - Sanctuary
    Liam_ - Sanctuary Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    One thing that annoys me about wc is how everyone starts their pricing at about 150-200% market value and very slowly lowers it hoping someone will be desperate enough while it's still over priced. G16's are a good example, and are always "for sale" around 30% above manufacturing cost (including badge, fee and EoD/EoO costs).

Then when you flip the coin and try to sell an item yourself, stating a fair price at exact market value, you get offers at 50% the normal price from someone hoping to scam you to make a few quick coin.

Fake bids and greedy auctions are just amusing though. Often these are trolled and bored players on wc spam in offers, jacking up the price to about ten times normal while the greedy seller believes they hit jackpot and burns up tele's like crazy. Fun to watch.
  • Raygan - Sanctuary
    Raygan - Sanctuary Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Idk ive sold things in WC if I get more then 2-3 offers after posting once and have auctioned it via WC in a completely honest way and i have no issue giving whoevers bidding the name of the person bidding against them. Its not always dishonest jerks
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Personally, this is usually the easiest way for me to tell if someone is fake bidding with an alt.Though I think what becomes annoying is when I want to sell something and I say 'PM Offer', which is followed by a PM asking me 'how much I want for it'.

It drives me nuts when people don't know a price they want for their item. I am the type that asks "how much?" and when they say "offer" I either low ball or I say "nevermind, thought you were selling." They'll respond "I am selling" and "I'll respond "for how much?"... and so on. If someone is selling they should have a price rather than play these games of you bid, no you offer, no you bid, no you offer...

My explanation for WC selling is the AH fee means you get 5% (?) less and the fact that in 3 years tokens really haven't hit too much inflation. Its pretty cheap to spam WC and its pretty inconveniencing to be a buyer who has to sit in town to repeatedly inquire at an npc for an item. Plus as items get more and more expensive the 5% fee becomes a larger and larger amount of coin.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It seems as though people have missed the point of my OP.

Granted, some people have brought up true and funny points but the rest is called merchanting. It's a part of life/every world game.

My point I wanted discussed: What the hell happened to people PMing people current offers instead of now where almost everyone uses 10+ teles for 1 item.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    People want to try to get more money than what their **** is worth, and the fake prices via teles are just a means to do so.

It's simple really, and I can see how they'd develop the strategy once it became clear that morons were willing to pay way more than things are really worth.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    While I don't like when WC is used as a 'bidding' tool, I prefer to see the bids posted in WC as it happens instead of whispers.
    More chance for people to make comments on how rational the value of something is, which is helpful for everyone, because not everyone knows how much something might be worth. Can't know all the prices of everything all the time, but having a general idea what things may be worth helps my buying/selling later, even if I'm not bidding on the item currently.

People don't understand what an auction is, or even how to bargain. Which is why I stick 99% of the time to selling/buying from the AH or catshops. At least in the AH I can bid on things and have a reasonable expectation of purchasing them if I happen to be -highest bidder-. As apposed to WC bidding, where the highest bidder might not even get to buy the item.

I don't make offers on things either unless the seller starts with a price first. It's better to start off with a price so 1, the seller doesn't get jerked around by obviously lowball offers, and 2, the buyer doesn't waste their time making offers the seller has no intention of considering.

The AH could really use some better search functions. I like to browse, but sometimes I just want to find just the entries for 1 spicific thing in a subsection, like say JUST the Giant Apes Tooths (teeth XD), instead of only being able to narrow it down to - all the tt80 mats -
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    This game is full of morons and fake bidders exploit it, people with poor language skills and infantile mind, last item I sold there was the Dark Lord fash set with set price, buy it or sod off, last experience I had with asking offers tested my patience with said stupidity of the community, I specifically asked for money offers, in stead I was offered other items, hence I really avoid getting things bought/sold on the WC, WTB common sense for the people of PWI! b:irritated
  • Laphroaig - Raging Tide
    Laphroaig - Raging Tide Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    WTB common sense for the people of PWI! b:irritated

Ahh, the most elusive of items in game. I hear common sense is available only in packs with a drop rate of 0.0000000000001% and costs more than full R9R3 completely sharded.

It's no wonder few have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" - Peter Clemenza

Level 101 kinky Demon BM and exquisite scotch sipper
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Heh, this **** works for me. I was looking for Demon Bell book, none in AH, none in catshops. Someone WCed it, starting bid was like 50m. Someone tossed up a bid of 50, I bid 60, started going back and forth until it hit some ridiculous amount. I only bid twice... 60 and 80. After it hit 120m or something ****, the other bidder backed out. Seller offered it to me at 60m, no BS.

I ended up getting it for 60m. Next day, I saw it in a catshop for 90m. I would have paid 80 to 90 for it the day before, but because someone was an *******, I got it cheap.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Esteven - Heavens Tear
    Esteven - Heavens Tear Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

The AH could really use some better search functions. I like to browse, but sometimes I just want to find just the entries for 1 spicific thing in a subsection, like say JUST the Giant Apes Tooths (teeth XD), instead of only being able to narrow it down to - all the tt80 mats -

You might need to learn how to use the AH better then. There is a search function that allows you to narrow down results to one set item and browse the prices of said item.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Heh, this **** works for me. I was looking for Demon Bell book, none in AH, none in catshops. Someone WCed it, starting bid was like 50m. Someone tossed up a bid of 50, I bid 60, started going back and forth until it hit some ridiculous amount. I only bid twice... 60 and 80. After it hit 120m or something ****, the other bidder backed out. Seller offered it to me at 60m, no BS.

I ended up getting it for 60m. Next day, I saw it in a catshop for 90m. I would have paid 80 to 90 for it the day before, but because someone was an *******, I got it cheap.

Lol for 60m, I could barely sell them for 35 - 40 in AH...
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lol for 60m, I could barely sell them for 35 - 40 in AH...

Yea. 60m for bell is way overpriced. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

Actually, if you type "Giant Ape" into search you get a list of a couple of things, then just select Giant Ape's Tooth from the list and voila, you have the page of only the mat you are looking for. Alternatively, be less lazy than me and type the entire name into the seach bar (caps sensitive) and get just the item you want. The search function works quite well if you correctly capitalize things.

The only thing I would really like to see changed is the skill section. I would love to be able to browse skills by class. And also they do need to update the fashion names that are incorrect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842