Necro

Irda - Raging Tide
Irda - Raging Tide Posts: 38 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Suggestion Box
It's very common to see a lot of necros in the forums so I need to ask this:
Is that difficult to the moderators to close all the threads that have more than 30 days old?
There are a lot of threads without comments since 2009 so, can a moderator just close them instead of waiting till somebody necro the thread to do it?
I don't like to enter the forums and see a new thread with the comment "Nice necro, closed."
So, that's my question, don't be upset with me.
See you b:bye
PS: I don't know if this is the right section to put this. If not, feel free to move it or delete it :)
Post edited by Irda - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There was a thread about this that I think Kossy and Venus posted in before, but I honestily don't remember a thing about what it was called/where I found it to link back to it, but it was mentioned there that people tend to wonder why threads were closed if they find them later and don't know who to ask about said closing or sadkgnsd, and also that the programn used to automatically close threads was something the board was reluctant to use.
    I'll link to that thread if I find it and no one ninja's me before on that. x3
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    There are over two hundred thousand threads on this forum.

A vast majority of those are over 30 days old.

And you want us to manually close those, instead of simply having people spend 5 minutes to read the rules?

Right now a third party tool is required for automatically closing threads that age, and it's also indiscriminate. We have allowed certain threads to remain open at times, not to mention stickies are exempt to the necromancy policy. While the vast majority of necro'd posts shouldn't happen, indiscriminately punishing them all isn't going to help anyone and, frankly, it's much easier to stop the ones that do crop up now than go back and try to lock them all.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    There was a thread about this that I think Kossy and Venus posted in before, but I honestily don't remember a thing about what it was called/where I found it to link back to it, but it was mentioned there that people tend to wonder why threads were closed if they find them later and don't know who to ask about said closing or sadkgnsd, and also that the programn used to automatically close threads was something the board was reluctant to use.
    I'll link to that thread if I find it and no one ninja's me before on that. x3

This is the thread you are looking for: click me!

@OP
    Pretty much what Kossy said, there is just no way that is going to happen.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    OPKossy wrote: »

And you want us to manually close those, instead of simply having people spend 5 minutes to read the rules?

Right now a third party tool is required for automatically closing threads that age, and it's also indiscriminate. We have allowed certain threads to remain open at times, not to mention stickies are exempt to the necromancy policy. While the vast majority of necro'd posts shouldn't happen, indiscriminately punishing them all isn't going to help anyone and, frankly, it's much easier to stop the ones that do crop up now than go back and try to lock them all.

Just launch over two hundred thousand locks in the air and they will stick to each dead thread, like in the chinese movies!
    ...Haiyaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!

Just kidding. Of course, shutting down every necroed thread is a chore, but it's not the worst to do around here, I believe.
    *Thinks about the naming and shaming threads, but also the utterly pointless ones to be closed and sent to the lower depths section* (especially when the thread starter thinks he/she has a good sense of humor while it's totally lame)
    I shall assist you mods whenever I can.

Go go TrollKossy and the other mods!! For Great Justice.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Irda - Raging Tide
    Irda - Raging Tide Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Yes b:chuckle

Now seriously, you can close a few every day. You will need a lot of days and I'm sure you have better thinks to do, but that's a possibility.

Thanks for the links.

b:thanks
  • opkossy
    edited December 2012
    Closing a few a day... will do absolutely nothing. We have new posts daily. How many of those do you think turn to posts that are past the necro date on a daily basis?

Even if we somehow had everyone spam all threads 29 days old or younger (which we REALLY don't want because that's a lot of clutter and would make the forums look like a complete disaster aka even more work for the mods) we'd still need FAR more than "a lot of days".

The Fanatics Forums, the subforum with the LEAST threads in it, has 43 pages worth of threads. Tomorrow, there will be posts on page 1 of there that will fall under the necromancy rules. That's our LOWEST workload and it only goes up from there. What you're asking for is unfeasable and completely unrealistic.

And, again, you're also not taking into account that due to the nature of forums, we'll have more posts falling into the area of "older than 30 days and need to be locked" daily. Any day where we don't lock more threads than are created is a day where we've not accomplished anything. And seeing as all the mods here are unpaid volunteers who do have our own lives to attend to...

I'm sorry, but there's just no way at all what you're suggesting will happen. Ever. I'm not sure if you don't grasp the sheer scale of this or what but please, for the sake of our sanity, do not try and pursue this one.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm sorry, but there's just no way at all what you're suggesting will happen. Ever. I'm not sure if you don't grasp the sheer scale of this or what but please, for the sake of our sanity, do not try and pursue this one.

<makes fake account, necros every thread on forums, with 500 co conspirators. Have fun with your sanity Kossyb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited December 2012
    <makes fake account, necros every thread on forums, with 500 co conspirators. Have fun with your sanity Kossyb:chuckle

... *kicks you out of the forums* D:<
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Problem with that plan is that the Admins around here can see your IP and ban the lot. I have seen the option on two other PWE forums when they first came out and they were still buggy. Wouldn't risk it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2012
    Nuooo, Gecko, don't do eet! xD
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Problem with that plan is that the Admins around here can see your IP and ban the lot. I have seen the option on two other PWE forums when they first came out and they were still buggy. Wouldn't risk it.

You've been gone too long. I'm not going to do it, i just wanna troll kossyb:cute

Nuooo, Gecko, don't do eet! xD

Join me, and together we shall rule these forums, by making mods delete necros 24/7
    b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am aware of that but some admin told me that... well he wants to troll in return lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    I am aware of that but some admin told me that... well he wants to troll in return lol.

Don't let that stone face confuse you, Kossy is a female stone person.

And by the time I'm done necroing, with the super ultra necroing hax robot dragon from another dimension i just constructed, she will be brain dead from the locking. b:laugh
    Once brain dead I will kidnap her body and dress it up in strange stuffs and take pictures of itb:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2012
    Join me, and together we shall rule these forums, by making mods delete necros 24/7
    b:sin
    xD! We can already get +1 posts of nonsense without necroing boards so that you can get your purple title~
    And and but Kossy. x3

Edit:: 'cause I just saw this
    Once brain dead I will kidnap her body and dress it up in strange stuffs and take pictures of itb:dirty
    lmaoxDDDD
  • opkossy
    edited December 2012

O_O

Oh no! No no no no no! NO! Get out! I'm taking away your forum privileges. D:!!!
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2012
    O_O

Oh no! No no no no no! NO! Get out! I'm taking away your forum privileges. D:!!!
    Aw, Kossy x3 <3
    Gecko, apologize you have disturbed the Kossy xD *facepaws*
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    O_O

b:sad
    If you take away my forum privileges though, after i make you brain dead i won't be able to post the pictures of you dressed up as all of the united states presidents on the forumsb:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2012
    b:sad
    If you take away my forum privileges though, after i make you brain dead i won't be able to post the pictures of you dressed up as all of the united states presidents on the forumsb:cry

But but Kossy can't have pictures posted 'cause she's supposed to be a mystery D:
    And presidents, pff xD.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012

But but Kossy can't have pictures posted 'cause she's supposed to be a mystery D:
    And presidents, pff xD.

Either presidents or historical dictatorsb:chuckle

OR BOTH!b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2012
    Either presidents or historical dictatorsb:chuckle

OR BOTH!b:dirty
    Hn... Kossy what would you rather dress up as, ignoring the pictures taken thing :3?
    -wait this isn't one of those cameras that steals your soul, is it D:

• Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012

Hn... Kossy what would you rather dress up as, ignoring the pictures taken thing :3?
    -wait this isn't one of those cameras that steals your soul, is it D:

Definately taking pictures, and posting them on every thread older then 30 days on this forum.

I necro threads with Kossy Lincoln or Kossy Mussolinib:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    edited December 2012
    Much as I'm amused, this has gone completely off-topic, guys.

But that's what the counting thread is for so let's move it to there. b:cute
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    fair enough. im yawning too hard, and currently typing with my head face first into a pillow. i have no clue if im typoing or not. I will continue to troll you on my the count thread, before putting my gliorious plan into action. Have fun being yourself b:bye

Edot" o pm;y tu[ped pmce pm g;propis. tu[omg tjos wotj ,u jead dpwm a;sp mpw. , a[rp

nvm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]