Barb experiences with NW

Options
Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Barbarian
I see no thread on this, so I'll begin by asking: how many people here have tried nation wars on their Barb, and how did you do?

I did so on Friday night after reading a post suggesting that tanking damage grants you contribution, just like dealing it would. And the results don't lie: I got 5.6k contribution mostly from tanking damage and turning in the flag three or four times. Par for the course for a Barb, I did pretty negligible damage (when I hit at all).

This is my build*, nothing too special, but tanking that 20k HP in addition to crabmeats/ToP/etc. gave me a fair amount of contrib. I should also mention that I know Cornered Beast which in some cases gave me another 9k HP to tank with.

Anyone else want to share their experience or tips for doing NW as a barb? Tonight I'll be going with a few instant-healing apocs and see if they help with my score. :P

*I'm not sure why, but PWCalc is a bit stupid with the numbers on this build - his HP is actually 20003, pdef is 12151, mdef is 4201, speed 9.4, and patk 4120-6464. The necklace is represented with 15 vit because it has a 9 vit engraving in addition to its base 6, and the weapon has 228 HP because the shard in it is an exclusive rather than a perfect.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary
    OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Barbs are very good for NW, if i see many arcanes r9s in opposition i just go in arma, play as DD, if i see low amount of arcanes r9s i do tanking, flag carier.. This ways most battles i am in which are 20v20 im in top 2 ranks and get good contri..

If you are carrying flag, get the archer to speed buff you run as far as you can, then anti stun and charger orb ull reach close to the capture point. That works decently for me..

Only drawback of NW is its a huge charm **** for barbs..
  • LaYsDiL - Harshlands
    LaYsDiL - Harshlands Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Ill be honest.
    My barb in nw owns evetything...but im a full r9 half +7 including wep and like three peices +10...what i do is either get flag depending on my oppents or sit in middle and own evetyone...i hardly die..when i have like 10 people on me i pop a pot...hit TOP and arma...for the ones i dont kill i just run away a bit and come back and proceed...if i run into somone i have a hard time with...i dont waste my time fighting him for 10 mins i just move on to the next person...or flag depending
    i find barbs are GREAT in nw if u know ur roll and a half decent barb..u should really have NO problem...just think of them clerics and venos who have ne as a weakness and can only buff stack heal..etc
    be happy :)
  • LaYsDiL - Harshlands
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Heres a great..if not the best tanking combo..if u didnt know this already i know most barbs do but for thoes of u reading..make sure u have dew pots...it halfs the dmg for 20
    make sure u have soild shield on genie if u dont already GET IT NOW also have tree of protection...ok so heres what i do..i pop on solid shield wait for it to wear off...depending how hard im taking dmg somtimes ill use solid shield with a dew...this way theres no fking way of killing me...then when that wears off use invoke..use ur chi skill. .Use slunder... Now that u activated ur chi skill. Before u slunderd it should fill up with 3 sparks before on cd..then if ur sage i sage spark and aoe away if i van get two more sparks i would arma with the three spark..though if ur not sure on the three spark 1-2 spark should be fine...also depending on ur matter..hope this helps...also using arma with top is very needed..i see barbs arma without top all the time...its like ysing a spark when u top for arma..sorry for all the bad spelling im on my phone and its hard to use form :)
  • LaYsDiL - Harshlands
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Barbs are very good for NW, if i see many arcanes r9s in opposition i just go in arma, play as DD, if i see low amount of arcanes r9s i do tanking, flag carier.. This ways most battles i am in which are 20v20 im in top 2 ranks and get good contri..

If you are carrying flag, get the archer to speed buff you run as far as you can, then anti stun and charger orb ull reach close to the capture point. That works decently for me..

ley me rephrase the charm sucking nw does...it sucks ALOT of charm...u go threw two somtimes teo n half guardian charms..but then again i get over 10k points from nw each time so it does pay off
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Love being a Barb in NW, I can dish out damage and tank damage too. Both are nice for my contribution points.b:cute

To add on:

-Defense Charms are a must.
    -HP Charm pretty much a must.
    -Just my personal opinion, MP charms/auto-pot a must.
    -Solid Shield is beautiful.
    -Charger Orbs, nice combo'd with Violent Triumph for flag running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • CraisCray - Momaganon
    CraisCray - Momaganon Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    now a point of view from a demon aps barb,i am 96 and went to all nw my server had untill now,i really enjoy it a lot and unless i am fighting r9 i do pretty good,usually as my hp is lower i stick with other tanks and just stun ,debuff and help ,lucky if a get a 1v1 fight or 1v2 i just arma or spark and use claws,sometis i just like to camp flag and after i get it use charger orb and they wont even see me passing them xD,this way me and another barb won a 2v20.fightb:chuckle
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

I've been NWing on my BM since its a combo of my best DD output and best survivability but one thing I've noticed about barbs is less people are willing to kill them.

What I mean by that is alot of time I'lll be up against a 35k+ hp barb who is doing a good job of kiting, stun, anti-stunning, and pvping in general. I may tick his charm 10 times and do 400k damage on him, but its hard to take him down in 1v1, and same in reverse. I have 12k hp and good defenses, so he may tick my charm 10 times and do 150k damage against me but unless he's pulling out zerk crit after zerk crit he's not gonna take me down and I'll probably stun him/kite so my charm can tick in between.

In the end alot of times I'll either try calling for help in vent, or if seperated from my squad, try kiting him to the center of the map where I'll get support and he'll get support. Half the time I just ignore barbs and seek more pkable prey, even if that means leaving a barb in the middle of a fight. No point in spending 10 minutes of a NW to get 1 kill.

There are to types of players in NW, objective and nonobjective. Objective go for the flag and stop others when they have the flag. Nonobjective tab-kill and pk, pretty much ignoring the flag. There are times for both in NW. Barbs are great flag carriers and if they have the flag I'll go after them, but if they don't I usually will ignore them even as they try to kill me unless I have support or they're trying to hunt AA/LA.

Edit: Wanted to add in the advantage of ignoring the .ini edits has been every barb is pretty generic and I don't know if I'm about to pk a lvl 105 with 48k r9r2 or a level 96 with 14k. I've made it a habit now to try and remember character features in me free time so I can look for them in NW, but unless they .ini edit barbs have a bit of an unknown feature to them always.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I see no thread on this, so I'll begin by asking: how many people here have tried nation wars on their Barb, and how did you do?

I did so on Friday night after reading a post suggesting that tanking damage grants you contribution, just like dealing it would. And the results don't lie: I got 5.6k contribution mostly from tanking damage and turning in the flag three or four times. Par for the course

Whats the story on this? If its true it explains why the only time I did well money wise on my seeker was when I was charmed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaYsDiL - Harshlands
    edited December 2012
    Options
    How sure are you guys that you get points in nw for taking damage?
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

Yes, most players agree that taking damage adds to your contribution, it was also noted from a news post from the CN version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Whats the story on this? If its true it explains why the only time I did well money wise on my seeker was when I was charmed.
    My main, the archer, at best approached 3k contrib. He's not at all PK-geared which explains some of that, but he still vastly outdamages my barb. My barb, by contrast, got 5.6k last Friday, and the damage he did overall was negligible. That's proof enough for me.

Keep in mind that what nation you're in and how well it does factor in heavily (probably at least as much if not more so than your actual contrib) so this can skew your perception of what you get.
    Heres a great..if not the best tanking combo..if u didnt know this already i know most barbs do but for thoes of u reading..make sure u have dew pots...it halfs the dmg for 20
    make sure u have soild shield on genie if u dont already GET IT NOW also have tree of protection...ok so heres what i do..i pop on solid shield wait for it to wear off...depending how hard im taking dmg somtimes ill use solid shield with a dew...this way theres no fking way of killing me...then when that wears off use invoke..use ur chi skill. .Use slunder... Now that u activated ur chi skill. Before u slunderd it should fill up with 3 sparks before on cd..then if ur sage i sage spark and aoe away if i van get two more sparks i would arma with the three spark..though if ur not sure on the three spark 1-2 spark should be fine...also depending on ur matter..hope this helps...also using arma with top is very needed..i see barbs arma without top all the time...its like ysing a spark when u top for arma..sorry for all the bad spelling im on my phone and its hard to use form :)
    Dew, Solid Shield and Invoke are all damage reduction abilities, not HP increasers. Both are good for general tanking, but consider: by reducing your damage taken, you also reduce your damage tanked, which basically just prolongs your death for the same amount of contrib. By contrast, an apoc like Samsara Wheel would give me an extra 12k HP to tank (if anyone can correct me on the mechanics of damage reduction please do so... but that's how I assume it works).

But again, I'm not one of those barbs with a damage output above "total ****," so half the time I don't even bother attacking. If I'm camping a flag spawn and I get ganked by a sin, oh well - that's base 20k + 11k-ish from ToP + 9k from Cornered Beast, and hell let's say 12k from an apoc. Throw in a couple crabmeats and that's almost 60k of damage I'm tanking. I could sit there just taking hits and not attacking at all, and still get good contrib. :P
    -Charger Orbs, nice combo'd with Violent Triumph for flag running.
    I am totally doing this next time. o.o The Samsara Wheels do increase my raw HP count significantly, but it occurs to me that when given a choice between that and running home a flag successfully, the latter would (maybe?) be worth more contrib.

EDIT: Hitting Holy Path when your flag dig is at 90-some% is a great way to start your run as well. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).