I can't decide bewtween playing a Psychic or Mystic...

colressmystico
colressmystico Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
I'm supposed to be coming back to the game in two or three weeks. And I've weighed theb:pleased pros and cons of both classes, looked over all skills with scrutiny, and even watched a few videos on YouTube! I still can't decide! I've played the Psychic class before, but I'm moving to an entirely different server to start completely fresh. I'm not even sure what I want to play anymore! Someone please help! I'm pulling my nappy hair out over here!!
b:dirtyb:thanks

A two and a half year hiatus, thank goodness im back. Raging Tide server here I come! b:pleased
Post edited by colressmystico on

Comments

• Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Psy's: Insta killers with black voodoo. Squishy at melee range and easy to kill when stun locked but have a chance to kill the enemy with their self buffs damage reflect and silence.

Mystics: Hybrid veno/cleric. Squisher and more likely to die due to no SoV self buff or related ability. Pet support with stun/aoe/silence/so on.
  • colressmystico
    edited December 2012
    I never looked at it like that...

A two and a half year hiatus, thank goodness im back. Raging Tide server here I come! b:pleased
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Don't mystics have a self buff that increases their physical defense? That at least helps the squishyness a little bit. Both are OP really either way.
    But since you have already played a psy before maybe give the mystic a shot? Then you'll have an idea on both of the classes, so you can see which of the two you enjoy more.
    :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Psy's: Insta killers with black voodoo. Squishy at melee range and easy to kill when stun locked but have a chance to kill the enemy with their self buffs damage reflect and silence.

Mystics: Hybrid veno/cleric. Squisher and more likely to die due to no SoV self buff or related ability. Pet support with stun/aoe/silence/so on.

That's just for PvP.

I love mystic and think they are really OP, but I can't tell you if it's more fun to play or not than a psy since I've never played a psy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That's just for PvP.

I love mystic and think they are really OP, but I can't tell you if it's more fun to play or not than a psy since I've never played a psy.

NW being the main source of money for most(except EU players), you'll most likely end up using that character to farm NW for coins. Hence why I said PVP advantages and disadvantages. PVE wise honestly nothing is hard anymore and worth mentioning other then mystics can *possibly* solo a lot of things with their pets, but only if you enjoy spamming a lot of pots.
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NW being the main source of money for most(except EU players), you'll most likely end up using that character to farm NW for coins. Hence why I said pvp.

There's still other things to do during the non NW hours...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NW being the main source of money for most(except EU players), you'll most likely end up using that character to farm NW for coins. Hence why I said PVP advantages and disadvantages. PVE wise honestly nothing is hard anymore and worth mentioning other then mystics can *possibly* solo a lot of things with their pets, but only if you enjoy spamming a lot of pots.

Many people play 5-10 hours a day which mean 35-50 hours a week, NW is 4 hours of that time, so I don't consider NW as the only thing existing in the game, a LOT of people do their BH everyday, full Warsong, TT, Lunar, etc...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Its sad that the whole game seems to be narrowed to a 2-hour long(2x) weekly event.
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • SpiritDivine - Sanctuary
    SpiritDivine - Sanctuary Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I also find it funny that Chigenkaiona doesnt seem to have any clue about what psychic or mystic really are or how to play with them.

Ive played both psychic and mystic and i like both. Mystic got more to offer to most squads so i like that one a little more. Pets arent really good at tanking bosses at high levels but they are still very useful. The heals on mystics is really good especially compared to psychics. I think that is what makes me play the mystic more then my psychic.

Psychics got a few survival skills that are nice but what i like most about them is the fast cast skills that do high damage. When killing mobs there are awesome and i dont think there is any class that can do kill x mobs quests faster
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey to you (not to confuse with our resident 'Hey, You!' aka V4),

*I sincerely love the psychic class.
    They use great spells to annoy the enemy, including a knockback. Their channeling is really fast and they got a gradual heal spell too.
    They can also shift between more offense and more defense (voodoo).

In fact they are a bit akin to the Wizard , but with subtle changes. (By the way, the Wiz is another class I appreciate a lot. Loads of fun to use Gush and Will of Phoenix but also the HP and MP recovery shields.
    Whoever said it is a class that is difficult to play as, you should try harder)

*The mystic class on the other hand, annoys me a bit. the Chiyu summon is quite squishy, even if fast (and has a terrible tendency to lose aggro when he lacks chi). I wished there was a better tanker of a summon. Salvation and Storm Mistress I don't even use, even if they have their strong points after they are chi recharged (added defense and offensive aoe skills respectively).

That said, it's a great class when it comes to a certain resistance. They can heal themselves and the others (and boy, the heal spell's channeling is damn fast!!) but also have a heal spell for summons.
    The main offensive spell is great and I guess the various support plants can add to the destruction (even if I never used the latter more than once or twice).

Conclusion: Both have their pros and cons, but both eat loads of MP and are squishy to no end (they are casters after all).
    I prefer my psychic over my mystic, like I prefer my wizard over my cleric (probably because you can avoid taking damage all together by kiting and using knockback as a Wiz or Psy). I love all of my characters though.
    That said, it's all up to you, naturally.

I hope that was helpful. See you around! b:thanks
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Asthariel - Dreamweaver
    Asthariel - Dreamweaver Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited December 2012

OP, please don't listen to this guy, he clearly have no clue how to play a high mystic with endgame-ish gears.
    First, I get more than enough tokens from NW.

Secondly, when it comes to solo pve, I rarely have any use of the "pets" (summons, only venos have pets), beside using the storm mistress to considerably increase my soloing speed since she deals full damage on [?] bosses and hits much harder and faster than any veno pet. Personally, I can solo caster nirvy, FC, all 1-x TTs, most bosses in 2-3 TTs, all 3-1 and about half of the bosses in TTs 3-2 and 3-3. And ofc many other stuffs, but that was for the "money making" things. You don't need any pet for that, they're just there to add some DD power if needed, if you're smart and geared enough you should know how to tank yourself.

Lastly, my mystic uses way less mana foods than my cleric for example, and when you have 12k mp and "clear thought", the mana regen skill, and are smart enough with mana management, you won't really use much more mana foods than any other caster (and less than clerics).

Also, about pvp, don't forget we have quite a few seals, a stun, a pvp enabled knockback, anti-stun skill, a big damage shield (absorbing Salvation), a +30% crit skill (absorbing Chihyu, which also gives more pdef and is stackable with other pdef buffs), lots of mag atk boost (rapid growth + leeching mistress + sage spark= 50k mag atk on my mystic), sleep plant, debuff plants, self pdef buff, a morai skill that can knock sins out of stealth, and don't forget the passive heal skill (falling petals) and the ultra fast and powerful heals.

But yeah, I must admit it takes more than two braincells to pvp on a mystic and that you can't just afk with the "soul of" skills of psys b:bye
  • Poketamer - Dreamweaver
    Poketamer - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The difference between Mystic and Esp are that Esp are more PvP oriented, Mystic is very tricky, you need to switch your summons according of the monster that youre facing, in the end I was using the Storm Mistress more than the Devil, I liked a lot to play with Mystic and I recomend them, but keep in mind that arcane classes aren't welcome in instances.
  • colressmystico
    edited December 2012
    Thanks everybody! Especially Asthariel, you helped a great deal. I ultimately decided to roll a mystic, because I want to try something new, the mana usage scared me away at first, but I always do the apothecary route anyway, so it shouldn't be that bad! And this will for sure be my first demon character and first character on Raging Tide. So those all factor in too.

• Lucy_a - Sanctuary
    Lucy_a - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks everybody! Especially Asthariel, you helped a great deal. I ultimately decided to roll a mystic, because I want to try something new, the mana usage scared me away at first, but I always do the apothecary route anyway, so it shouldn't be that bad! And this will for sure be my first demon character and first character on Raging Tide. So those all factor in too.

The mana usage shouldnt scare u away b:chuckle
    You will get a new set of charms(hp and mp) every day till u reach level 60.
    So mana wont be a big problem for you :)
    Just make sure to accept the pop-up quest u get when creating/logging your new character the first time.
    There is an npc in every major city (forgot the name can anyone help me out here? ) you can talk to after accepting the pop-up quest.
    He will give u charms every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you for the awesome siggy Silvy <3

// LVL. 8x Mystic // LVL. 8x Cleric // LVL. 8x Veno //

Request a free drawing of your character: The Fanatics Forum>>>Lucy's Sketchbook b:mischievous
    edited December 2012

You can always upgrade your apothecary since It's easy to make some MP pots, but MP never was a problem for me and I wasn't full Int.
  • colressmystico
    edited December 2012
    Oh. It's not as bad as it seems huh? Well I can't wait to come back! I hope Raging Tide is nice, I'm so used to Heaven's Tear!

• Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't know...maybe this was too obvious....but why not both? Unless you're going rank, they can share the same gear except weapon.
    Why not play both and stash gears between them? Not like it would cost you much more since you're still mostly making one set of gear. Best of both worlds.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2012
    I don't know...maybe this was too obvious....but why not both? Unless you're going rank, they can share the same gear except weapon.
    Why not play both and stash gears between them? Not like it would cost you much more since you're still mostly making one set of gear. Best of both worlds.

You are correct but just consider that even if of course she has the possibility to create characters of both classes, the point here is to know which one is to create first and favor in leveling, equipping and all.

It's also true that the experience is not the exact same when you begin absolutely from the beginning than when you got old and compatible equipment from an older class (the latter somehow implies more ease in playing the class, since gears are ready to get used as soon as one levels up).
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When endgame, Mystics are really OP.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
    edited December 2012
    You are correct but just consider that even if of course she has the possibility to create characters of both classes, the point here is to know which one is to create first and favor in leveling, equipping and all.

It's also true that the experience is not the exact same when you begin absolutely from the beginning than when you got old and compatible equipment from an older class (the latter somehow implies more ease in playing the class, since gears are ready to get used as soon as one levels up).

From this perspective then It's better to roll a Mystic first, since they can heal and mob pull, I just love all the magic classes of this game.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2012
    From this perspective then It's better to roll a Mystic first, since they can heal and mob pull, I just love all the magic classes of this game.

Given your in-game name, I can easily figure out that you really like summoner-type classes.
    And yes, I like all casters too, given they are less of glass cannons than in other games (they can slow and heal themselves and some of them can also knockback the enemy).
  • DOMI//ATRIX - Dreamweaver
    DOMI//ATRIX - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Given your in-game name, I can easily figure out that you really like summoner-type classes.
    And yes, I like all casters too, given they are less of glass cannons than in other games (they can slow and heal themselves and some of them can also knockback the enemy).

Youre right ^^ I love Summoner classes, but I was being honest on my commentary, since Mystics can also heal they are more desirable than a Psy, because low level casters have the worse DPS of all. My first character was a Wizard, I don't know if is because I have more game experience but I found the Psys a lot easier to play than Wizards, the only downside of Psys and Mystics are that they don't have any MP recovering skill, that's why we think that they use more MP than a regular Cleric or Wizard, but if you can have a Cleric for buffs your Psy/Mystic will be more effective.

(PS: I created another char for this nick)
  • kiimio
    kiimio Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Youre right ^^ I love Summoner classes, but I was being honest on my commentary, since Mystics can also heal they are more desirable than a Psy, because low level casters have the worse DPS of all. My first character was a Wizard, I don't know if is because I have more game experience but I found the Psys a lot easier to play than Wizards, the only downside of Psys and Mystics are that they don't have any MP recovering skill, that's why we think that they use more MP than a regular Cleric or Wizard, but if you can have a Cleric for buffs your Psy/Mystic will be more effective.

(PS: I created another char for this nick)

Mystics actually have a mana recovery skill.

Its called "Clear Thoughts" and is a lvl 79 skill.