Is It Really Necessary?

Options
angelberry71
angelberry71 Posts: 9 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
Ok, so it's Christmas and the people at PWI feel the need to give us snow every year.

I'm sure I speak for a quite a few people when I say "Is it really necessary?" Arch lags enough as it is, add snow to the mix and well....a nightmare. Granted we don't have the killer snowmen this year, which is a relief.

I mean, why not just add some kind of festive lights or something instead of even more lag in the form of snow? o.O
Post edited by angelberry71 on

Comments

• CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I don't know, without snow I have ~600ms ping(lag) and with snow I have ~600ms ping(lag).
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lower/remove effects. :P

Not necessary at all but it's part of the whole holiday spirit thing. Personally it's never made things any worse for me and in cases where I'd be lagging I just kill my effects since odds are I'd have them down anyways.
  • Terrastrike - Lost City
    Terrastrike - Lost City Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    When I see stuff like this, it makes me wonder... how old is the average PWI player's computer? Seriously, I understand that the regular lag in Archosaur is a problem for most users, but lagging from a really low quality snowing animation? How many people actually get this issue? b:shocked
    Also the snowmen are coming...
    v4liance wrote: »
    Soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angelberry71
    edited December 2012
    Options
    When I see stuff like this, it makes me wonder... how old is the average PWI player's computer? Seriously, I understand that the regular lag in Archosaur is a problem for most users, but lagging from a really low quality snowing animation? How many people actually get this issue? b:shocked
    Also the snowmen are coming...

My computer runs just fine tyvm. I don't normally have any problems, even running 2 clients at the same time never really caused too much trouble. Now as soon as I log in, my m/s jumps to 400 and fps is at a fabulous 10.

Yes I suppose I could lower graphics, but it seems kind of silly for me to have to reduce my game quality, so I'm able to move in Arch >.>

Anyway, I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, and I fully expected people to flame me for having an opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that there are other ways to celebrate the season without giving us more lag.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I personally like the snow and snowman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Ok, so it's Christmas and the people at PWI feel the need to give us snow every year.

I'm sure I speak for a quite a few people when I say "Is it really necessary?" Arch lags enough as it is, add snow to the mix and well....a nightmare. Granted we don't have the killer snowmen this year, which is a relief.

I mean, why not just add some kind of festive lights or something instead of even more lag in the form of snow? o.O
    It is a SHAME we dont have killer snowmen this year

>:(

QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • viseuse
    viseuse Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    i would like snow bank with all the falling snow, so i can make snowball and trow at those who QQ b:cute .... oh wait that would include me QQ b:surrender b:laugh
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I wonder what's worse, people not having computers strong enough in this day and age to handle simple snow effects or people not knowing the difference between performance hits and lag.

To be fair, the former is kind of understandable since angelica is a terrible engine to begin with but as for the latter... I don't feel like lecturing on why I should be so irked that you guys think the snow causes "lag". b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Having snowmen turned on has almost zero effect on the data stream that you get from the servers.

Basically, your client just gets a signal flag saying, "there's snow here, display it" and that's what it does. The data is likely less than 100 bytes, and is only transmitted when entering an area that has snow.

Your fashion uses more data than that.

The problem people have with snow is FPS. Which is not lag.

Read this...
    Lag vs FPS
    And educate yourself.
    Then quit blaming **** for causing lag when it has nothing to do with lag at all.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Having snowmen turned on has almost zero effect on the data stream that you get from the servers.

Basically, your client just gets a signal flag saying, "there's snow here, display it" and that's what it does. The data is likely less than 100 bytes, and is only transmitted when entering an area that has snow.

Your fashion uses more data than that.

The problem people have with snow is FPS. Which is not lag.

Read this...
    Lag vs FPS
    And educate yourself.
    Then quit blaming **** for causing lag when it has nothing to do with lag at all.

No one is going to read that and they will still call it lag.

I've tried this for so many years and it feels like I educated no one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ponyduck
    ponyduck Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    No one is going to read that and they will still call it lag.

I've tried this for so many years and it feels like I educated no one.

You spoke too soon, Bubbles--I saw that link & couldn't click it fast enough, lol.

I'm not real computer savvy, and am always trying to increase my
    knowledge base. In this case, I have a good system but I've been having
    major issues with it since the Sirens update. So I'm trying to figure out if
    the problem lies w/my machine, or something outside of my control.

Anyway, I was grateful for that link. Now if we could just get ppl to use
    all the other words correctly, such as "troll" and "****", etc. . . . . lol.

Re: snow. I like it though it does tend to get a little irritating at times--
    sometimes if I stare too long standing in one place I think I start to
    get hypnotized, lol.

But I really like the idea of LIGHTS. Basically I wish PWI would try to
    come up with NEW things every year--or at least a few things and
    vary them. One year, snow; the next year, lights, and so on.

The thing with the snow every year, well it kinda feels like I'm dragging
    out that same ol' pre-lit tree from the closet again.
  • angelberry71
    edited December 2012
    Options
    To the one who gave that link..perhaps you should read it a little better.Instead of mouthing off linking this and that, perhaps you should actually read what you're linking.

I guess no matter how hard anyone tries to simply voice an opinion, there will always be smart**** waiting to flame and pretend they know more than they actually do.
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My computer runs just fine tyvm. I don't normally have any problems, even running 2 clients at the same time never really caused too much trouble. Now as soon as I log in, my m/s jumps to 400 and fps is at a fabulous 10.

Yes I suppose I could lower graphics, but it seems kind of silly for me to have to reduce my game quality, so I'm able to move in Arch >.>

Anyway, I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, and I fully expected people to flame me for having an opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that there are other ways to celebrate the season without giving us more lag.

Sorry but if your pc has 10 fps cause of snow then it is slow. My old pc that i stole from the museum even had better fps than that. Don't mean to sound mean but alot of people enjoy the snow, it gives the game a great feel. If you hate it then turn the effects down.
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    i hate the snow
    reminds me of real life snow, it falls and falls and falls, but never sticks and school still goes onb:cry
    if you are giving us snow, have some kind of random interactive build up, like snowcaked streets that you can leave footprints in!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    So you want to ruin the christmas feeling for others because you play on a toaster...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    To the one who gave that link..perhaps you should read it a little better.Instead of mouthing off linking this and that, perhaps you should actually read what you're linking.

I guess no matter how hard anyone tries to simply voice an opinion, there will always be smart**** waiting to flame and pretend they know more than they actually do.

Been designing and building computers from the component level for over 24 years now. I've been supporting the software that runs them for even longer. I've been actively managing networks and interfaces for over 15 years now. I've even been a GM/Developer for MMO's since Meridian59, and have run my own game servers for a few years as well. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

You obviously didn't read the link, or if you did, you didn't bother to understand it.
    Yes, I'm probably wasting my breath trying to educate some of you kids out there, but at least I put some effort into it.
    So you want to ruin the christmas feeling for others because you play on a toaster...?

LOL, love that response. =)
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith