Blade Tornado useless?

Sakubatou - Sanctuary
Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Blademaster
Sword Cyclone was pretty useless. It was a very weak attack, generated no aggro, occupied you for 15 seconds, and used a spark. I used it as an anti-stun during pulls once or twice but mostly ignored it.

Then I upgraded to Blade Tornado. A cleric friend got it in an AEU and gave it to me, having no idea what it did. I offered to show her in a dual. So we started, she plume shelled then tried to seal me as I cast Blade Tornado. Not only did I resist the seal my Blade Tornado went right through her plume shell and killed her in 3 hits (full r9 with +10 phys ornies cleric.) She was impressed and so was I.

So I've tried to use it a few times in TW, NW, and instances but can never find a time when its a good option.

In TW and NW it is rare that I have 3 sparks. Even if i start with full chi I usually will antistun to reach my opponent and then stun them, now I'm down to 2.65 sparks. I have the option of using cloud eruption and BT or saving my genie for OI, ADs, ToP. Most the time 2.65 chi is better spent HFing and a few attacks. Even against cleric/barbs who plume shell or invoke I prefer to stunlock rather than be able to use control skills for 15 seconds. I just have a hard time finding opportunities where I actually have 3 sparks and BT is a good option.

In PvE the only reason I use it is if I want to DD but don't want to rip aggro from the barb. The problem is if I'm using BT for 15 seconds and generating zero aggro then a squishier class is likely to get aggro. Also, HF in a squad is going to be much more useful.

So, any time you guys think Blade Tornado is useful?
Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
Post edited by Sakubatou - Sanctuary on

Comments

• T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Grab flag, holy path, Will or CSprint depending on foes nearby, followed by the other run, pop a vacuity if needed, usually surrounded by foes before the dropoff, BT for the spin and win. Ordinary PK and TW I find myself short on chi frequently; this has not been the case in NW.
  • Zarkin_Baxil - Raging Tide
    Zarkin_Baxil - Raging Tide Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like showing up to a contested flag, waiting for a group to gather. Fly over drop in, roar, mire, bt, laugh at the death and carnage. Only time I used BT in TW was AD, sprint to BT + IG the spawn point. Its nice 1 v 1 if they aren't expecting it, but you have to catch them off guard. Hardest part about BT is using it to maximum effect, and knowing when that is.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I use it fairly often in NW. Ignores Plume Shell, White Voodoo, JoSD. Also great for catching sins and archers who stealth to try to escape you.

The three spark startup is a bit of a pain, but it's generally worth it.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No.

Check your PMs Saku.

In general? BT wipes scrubby and some decent AAs, Sins, and even Archers like it ain't no thing. Get someone to back you up and watch em fall. It's like Reel-In, people are still confused by it cause its so new.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The good thing about BT is that it can go through AD and immunity.

And it's overpowered as **** when +12 refined BMs use it.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Dunno, maybe its just my play style. The first two posts suggest Roar/Will of Bodhi right before you BT, but that infringes on the 2.99 spark req. I guess with 11.2k hp unbuffed and a mix of gear from tt99 to G16/r9 ring I am not the beefiest bm and having a skill that you either need to could erupt and empty your genie, or be unable to stun, diamond sutra, or change marrows makes me feel pretty vulnerable. Its alright if I have my genie there, and i understand I'll end with 2+ sparks back, but I still go "him BT, or stun, HF, aoe, stunlock, blow more sht up?" I'll stun and HF then move one"

And I guess I overstated in my original post. Here's my issue: I know BT goes through Ad and plumeshell and invoke and is decent enough damage, although i think fissure/highland still out dph it. So I see its uses, just everytime I think 'BT should be used here!" I don't have the 3 sparks for it which makes it useless to me. I'd say about 4 times a NW or TW I go to use BT and 4/4 times I don't have the chi and don't want to apo for it, since I save those for more suicidial missions.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Use regular sprint instead of Will of Bodhi. Blade Tornado includes free immune to speed debuffs effect.

And I'm sage so my Roar is much, much cheaper. b:victory
    edited December 2012
    I think its also 50% damage reduction while doing BT so thats a plus. And the biggest factor for BT is soulforce. The more you have the bigger the numbers get. I find that skill will crit higher than BT damage, but BT has higher average damage. Oh and when it does 1.5 damage, thats really sexy. Oh holy path right as you use it, funny as hell seeing a BT move that fast towards you.
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Handydandy fact: BT can't be purged anymore. This wasn't the case pre-patch.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    This made me laugh pretty hard in nw yesterday;

Dropped into the center pit waiting for the flag to spawn and there was already a barb there from opposing side. He tried to dig and I started stunning and attacking him, so he invoked. Now... I had 2.5 sparks and had full genie chi and this is my normal conundrum, stun+HF or BT. Figured I'd try BT, so I hit cloud eruption, got 4 sparks, and started BT. Now, the whole time people are dropping in around me and him from both sides and dieing left and right, but this poor barb got torn up by my BT, as well as a bm, a mystic, and an archer. The best part was I could dig while BTing so I was squatted down, whistling a happy tune, digging away, carnage all around me.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This made me laugh pretty hard in nw yesterday;

Dropped into the center pit waiting for the flag to spawn and there was already a barb there from opposing side. He tried to dig and I started stunning and attacking him, so he invoked. Now... I had 2.5 sparks and had full genie chi and this is my normal conundrum, stun+HF or BT. Figured I'd try BT, so I hit cloud eruption, got 4 sparks, and started BT. Now, the whole time people are dropping in around me and him from both sides and dieing left and right, but this poor barb got torn up by my BT, as well as a bm, a mystic, and an archer. The best part was I could dig while BTing so I was squatted down, whistling a happy tune, digging away, carnage all around me.

b:shocked

Of all the things, dig while attacking? That's...ridiculous

omgbmopnerfpl0x
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
    edited December 2012
    OH wow, didn't know you could dig while in BT. I know you can get on your flyer and jump, but didn't know you could dig. I need to try that tonight.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    OMG I will start digging in BT now.

Fun note from TW: The veno thing that turns you into a puffbird/kitty seems to be the only thing that kills BT.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
    edited December 2012
    Hummm I'm going to have to test that veno skill then.
  • Daemon_Imp - Lost City
    Daemon_Imp - Lost City Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    from what I *heard* in NW:

annoying tanky r9rr psy in white/defense voodoo that grabs flag and zooms around with speed apo and cant be locked cuz of purify proc on weapon?

you get one or two high refined r9r bm with BT and cleric

cleric sleep > BT > win
    edited December 2012
    To add to that, so far I have not had BT proc puri on a r9r2 weapon. Not saying that it dosen't, more testing is needed, but after several attempts no procs.
  • Mooooooooo - Lost City
    Mooooooooo - Lost City Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To add to that, so far I have not had BT proc puri on a r9r2 weapon. Not saying that it dosen't, more testing is needed, but after several attempts no procs.

of course dots don't cause it to proc.
    youtube channel: youtube.com/user/chezedude
    edited December 2012
    Well BT is an odd skill so I figured some testing was in order. I felt that it wouldnt proc puri but a little testing never hurt.
  • XCableX - Archosaur
    XCableX - Archosaur Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dang, I need to get that skill now.

Oh the things I wouldn't do with BT now...
    youtube.com/xArsonist18 : XCableX's TW videos

pwcalc.com/56b00d33a8c63c7d : Current BM Build for TW