How do I keep psychics alive?

Options
XRionx - Lost City
XRionx - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Cleric
This isn't to complain. I just want some good advice since psychics keep on dying on me in bhs (mobs and bosses) and then I feel bad. b:beatup

What skill should I use or what should I look out for?
Post edited by XRionx - Lost City on

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Most psys are just squishy as **** and there's not much you can do to help them if they don't know how to use their skills to help them survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Pretty much like any other arcane class. If I notice an arcane class will get agro of stuff, I just throw an IH on them right before the mobs decides they're sushi. Alternatively, wings of protection.

If they still die, they either got crappy gear or don't know their skills. And that really isn't your fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Most psys are just squishy as **** and there's not much you can do to help them if they don't know how to use their skills to help them survive.

They usually get the hint when you use Expel on them, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Tell them to grow up and stop stealing aggro

Psys can't survive ANYTHING, even when the boss keeps 1shotting them with AoE and you tell them to just not put on any vodoo (to not lose the defence levels, but still keep some attack), they go all QQ that they can't do any damage. Well gues what, the rest of us do just fine without vodoo
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If they can't survive a mob without heal than they should assist attack on the tank of the squad to hit on the same mobs, if they know they can't survive to a boss than they should learn to control their damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • StarianNight - Dreamweaver
    StarianNight - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    They usually get the hint when you use Expel on them, though.

I love doing that to squishy people :3 and expel+purify = win b:kiss
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I love doing that to squishy people :3 and expel+purify = win b:kiss

I just skip the purify part so they don't get aggro again b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarianNight - Dreamweaver
    StarianNight - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I just skip the purify part so they don't get aggro again b:quiet

b:laugh
  • Rweon - Lost City
    Rweon - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    One of them wanted me to bb on all the bosses in 59. I haven't played for two years so I'm not sure if that's the way we do things now... b:shutup
    edited November 2012
    Options
    One of them wanted me to bb on all the bosses in 59. I haven't played for two years so I'm not sure if that's the way we do things now... b:shutup

Back in time when I leveled my both clerics I never BB for the boss in BH59, but I heard now people ask for it. Maybe it's cause they had a bad experience with a bad cleric and want to be safe, cause before that was easy to just IH on the barb back in time, but now the barb have trouble keep aggro so the cleric need to be fast if someone else take aggro to switch the heal. If I feel that someone might take aggro on the boss I'll genereally IH the tank, but throw some IH on the person that might steal aggro so if that happen the person is safe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You don't need BB; just IH and purify. Lots of purify. Tanking Drake, I died after Drake died, because neither cleric would purify the burn b:cry
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    A good Psychic will know their limits and even if they do die, they won't blame you.
    Just throw Wellspring at them followed by Ironhearts if they keep getting aggro. You can also use Expel as mentioned if you happen to have it on your genie. Other than that, if they die too much it's their own fault.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Lucrecia - Momaganon
    Lucrecia - Momaganon Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options

Based on my exp doing over 100 felt bh 59s i would say:
    Zimo
    prefer bb since Zimo really hits hard on every tank on your level, and if someone steals aggro they really NEED the damage cut. (Even more usefull if there is aggro ping pong)
    Should be tanked by a HA user if possible due to the high hp of them

Ofotis
    IH is enough to keep the tank alive unless he/she is really squishy. He deals middle damage and can be tanked by HAs,AAs and archers. (try to avoid tanking sins here because as melee fighters they need to survive the physical attack, this can be harder than let a wiz/psy/archer tank)

Quanji
    Can deal high damage, so you can use bb here if wanted, but using IH is safer since you can use short heals if the boss deals high damage with skills. Wizards and Psys are good tanks here unless you have a barb. (Actually prefer them here over any LAs)

Drake
    No bb here. IH + purify is needed as the others said. On HA tanks and LA tanks, use purify as soon as you see the debuff icon. On AAs, make sure you put some IHs first since most AAs can deal better with the debuff than with the regular attacks.
    Can be great tanked by Wizards (and any other Arcanes or archers as well)

Gluttonix
    Nearly the same as drake. IH + Purify needed. Wiz and Psys make good tanks here.

So, you can use IH at every boss here instead of bbing. But i would highly suggest to bb on Zimo.

I really have no clue why i had to write a novel here b:surrender
    Do you believe in life before death?
  • NestFreemark - Raging Tide
    NestFreemark - Raging Tide Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Hope they are in pk mode, go white, leave squad and use chromatic seal on them as often as possible. b:victory
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If they're squishy then theres nothing you can do about it, its not your fault their gear sucks
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Back in time when I leveled my both clerics I never BB for the boss in BH59, but I heard now people ask for it.

Half the time the sin is expecting to tank, and most the time the arcanes make the best tanks since all bosses in Bh59 will stay ranged and use magic attacks if being attack by a ranged player. Since this is a level 70-80 BH most the sins you find will have 3-4k hp and most the AAs will only have 2-3k hp so not much hp. For sins the damage reduction of bb is more important than the actual heals since they have bb. They'll be healing almost their entire hp, but they need bubble to keep from being two shot while they do so. For instance they're hit for 2.5k while ribstriking or sparking and before they start actually attacking again they're hit for another 2k and die. BB would reduce that damage in half and they'll be dding and healing before themselves before a 3rd hit lands. Basically, a sin can die in between IH ticks =/ Same thing can happen to some arcanes who take less damage but have less hp, they have 2k hp but take 1k attacks, bb would reduce that to 500 and bb heals are enough to fully heal them since they take less damage.

The other thing that can be said for bb. Who is the tank in BH59? That classic barb tank? The blossoming aps dd that pull aggro? Or the arcanes who tank magic bosses the best? Everyone thinks its them and bh59 is a classic aggro bounce area.

Lastly, I'm sure alot of people have seen 90+ sins/BMs tank even Drake and Glut in bb and just trip spark to purify. <89s can't do that but they see "pros" using bb so they think they want it.

A good Psychic will know their limits and even if they do die, they won't blame you.

I agree with this. Psychics have an offensive state and a defensive stat that are both quite overpowered. If I died it was because I used the wrong marrow. If I had been in white voodoo I wouldn't have a. pulled aggro and b. been so squishy. I chose to use black voodoo, it was my fault I got aggro, and it was my fault I made myself extra squishy. Dunno how you can blame the cleric for that.

Tips, hover a pinky over WoP. It just got a shorter cd so use it more often. Its hp based but works for at least one attack. Two, wellspring. WS WS WS WS WS and eventually the psy will kite to allow you to IH, the BM will stun, or the mob will die. Three, anticipate. You see the psy double spark or start channeling before the barb has roared or set any aggro then expect the psy will gank it. Put an IH on them before it happens. Four is part of three. IH people before they have aggro because it last 15 seconds. If they get aggro in the next 15 seconds they're at least partly covered and you can consider IH as a spammable 15 second shield.

I'm a gear perver. I get in the instance first and check peoples gear as they enter or as we run in between mobs. I can guesstimate most peoples dps pretty well from -int, channeling, weapon, and refines. This way I know who to watch for and who might need an IH before the mobs even look at them "just in case".
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Since this is a level 70-80 BH most the sins you find will have 3-4k hp and most the AAs will only have 2-3k hp so not much hp.

I'm a gear perver. I get in the instance first and check peoples gear as they enter or as we run in between mobs. I can guesstimate most peoples dps pretty well from -int, channeling, weapon, and refines. This way I know who to watch for and who might need an IH before the mobs even look at them "just in case".

I see often sins level 100+ with 4k hp so if they have 4k at level 70 too they might still have the same gears.

I personally don't check the gears, some people do a fantastic job with **** gears as some do really bad job with OP gears.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I see often sins level 100+ with 4k hp so if they have 4k at level 70 too they might still have the same gears.

I personally don't check the gears, some people do a fantastic job with **** gears as some do really bad job with OP gears.

Most people get their hp from refines and shards and they don't heavily invest in that till 100 gear. A sin with 5 vit and TT70 +3 and 20 flawless citrines won't have much different hp than a tt90/r8 sin with +3 gear, 5 vit, and 20 flawless citrines. 3-4k I think is average in the 70-80 range and around 5-6k in the 100-101 range, from my experience. I see some 9k hp level 80 sins and some 3.8k level 100+ sins though.

I was dual clienting for WBs last night. My BM is 4 aps G16 claws only refined +4, and the tank should have been a 4 aps DoT R9+11 demon sin (with lvl 11 mastery). I was trying to time my HF to their spark while clericing with "alt tab" but was just using bubble. Easily, they should have had aggro. I kept switch back to my BM to find I was tanking although I'm around 120k dps and they're around 170k dps and I was HFing/TMing for them. I think they must have been dual clienting a delta run or something.

I hold to checking gears is a good thing and gives you ideas of what to expect but its not a rule that better dps gears = better player. It just allows you to guesstimate and be ahead of the curve. A little knowledge is never a bad thing.

I also check as a cleric because I like to know if my barb is gonna tank Seat/Metal using physical/evasion ornies instead of magic ornaments and die insanely fast. Plus, this game can be played by all ages (I have a friend who sits with his 8 year old autistic son, and a 70+ grandma in my faction) and is simple enough that it doesn't take too much gear difference for even crappy players to compete with great players with poorer gear by just face rolling f1,f2,f3. All I'm looking to do is predict. As we play I'll combine what I saw of their gear with what I see of them as a player and use that towards guessing the best way to heal.

A similar example I know you and I argue about is the pure vs. vit build clerics. On my barb I look at my clerics gear and hp/mp and guess their heal strength. The more vit, the smaller my pulls. If the cleric sucks, I just saved our butts. Good vit/LA/HA clerics heal as well as AA cleric's but I want to gauge it first. If I see a pure cleric with decent heals they can suck more and I'll still probably live, so bigger pulls and faster run. Gear I can see, their build I can guess, their skill I have to experiment to find out, and all that combined helps me figure out how fast I can go, how much I can pull, and how to best do it.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • humbfdljr
    humbfdljr Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Based on my exp doing over 100 felt bh 59s i would say:
    Zimo
    prefer bb since Zimo really hits hard on every tank on your level, and if someone steals aggro they really NEED the damage cut. (Even more usefull if there is aggro ping pong)
    Should be tanked by a HA user if possible due to the high hp of them

When my wizzie was in the 70-80 lvl range with TT70 gear all the bosses were really easy to tank. About zimo, he was as easy as the other for me, didnt understand why the tanker should be HA, I never died against him, I could stand at least 4-5 atks by what I can remember.

About the thread: we have potions and gennie skills (and white vodoo in this case), if he/she cannot stand at least 3-4 seconds to receive cleric heal, it's not ur fault.
  • Absinda - Sanctuary
    Absinda - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I multiboxed a Psychic and Cleric from 70-79, doing BH59 every day. At first, I had the Psych tanking all the bosses, but I soon realized it was more efficient to let the Cleric tank because that way both characters could do damage. The Cleric had no problem whatsoever holding aggro.

I also multiboxed a Cleric and Sin up to level-82. Did them exactly the same way, as well as the Cleric and Barb I leveled up. I ALWAYS laugh my butt off when I see this on WC: "Tank needed for BH59."

Whenever I go to RoR I always check out other players' gear. It dumbfounds me how many of them are equipped primarily with white npc gear. They'll have very nice fashion, but their gear totally sucks. As a Cleric, I'm not going to lose any sleep when a shoddily equipped squishy dies -- I figure if you've got enough money for fashion, you've got no business equipping **** gear. If you're ultra squishy, it's your own damned fault, not mine.

RE: Use of BB.

I'm old school. The only place I BB for a non-multiboxed squad (below BH89) is in TT. Too many neo-clerics are lazy (or don't know any better). A good cleric will know beforehand who's likely to steal aggro from the designated tank and will be appropriately prepared. The biggest problem with BB is the Cleric is relegated to doing nothing. I hate that -- surely, the Cleric's first obligation is to keep squadmates healthy, but that doesn't prevent her from getting a few shots on the boss as appropriate. When I first started playing this game, a Cleric that only healed or debuffed was thought of as a bad thing. I still believe that.

Addiction to BB is probably why so many first-time clerics struggle with BH69. And speaking of which, I've been multiboxing my Cleric and Barb in BH69 since they reached level-80. So far, there hasn't been so much as a close call.
  • AryaMegido - Heavens Tear
    AryaMegido - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Some bosses actually need the Cleric to be actively healing, such as the fire boss in BH59. If you're stuck in BB, you can't possibly get the purifies the squad will need from the DOT the boss likes to spam. To most new/inexperienced people, (Myself at one point) BB was a godsend. I mean, it healed and reduced incoming damage. It's easy to get lured into how easy it is to use it.

I am not as experienced as most Clerics, because I've only leveled one up to 80 or so, but already I can tell you that slapping up BB can stem from laziness or pure inexperience. The best thing you can do is to kindly tell the Cleric to not use BB unless the need is Dire.

On the note of Psychics dying: By the time BH59 rolls around, they need to have a sound grip on their voodoo skills. They need to realize that being in Black Voodoo will generate aggro, especially if the tank isn't so hot. If they are paranoid about losing attack levels to White Voodoo, they need to not use any. If you did everything in your power to keep them alive and they keep insisting on being trigger happy, let them die if they need to be shown this. Ignore the tears, revive and buff them, and not say a word about it. And honestly, that's the best way to show someone their flaws. Let them rant away without you saying a word.

As long as you are doing your best, there's nothing you can do about them being suicidal. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

may the v0ices guide y0u t0 greater success than 0ur d00med sessi0n