System memory req. Doubled???!

ArcticFrost - Raging Tide
ArcticFrost - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Support Desk
Well, this may seem silly of me, but rather than downloading the patch like a normal person, I decided to just re-install the entire game on my computer.

So, after removing the game, I go to download requirements, yada yada yada, 1 GB RAM? Ok. 8 GB Free memory space? Will 10 do?

So I go ahead and download the installer, wait for it to install the installer, then I go to install the game using the installer, and, voila! Only 2 GB of free memory left!

Apparently the installer and data packs took up 6-8 GB already. The same amount I need for the game.

So how do I install the game when the installer is almost bigger than the game itself?????

IMHO, req. Free memory should be around 16 GB, not 8 GB.

I attempted this twice, and now I'm b:angry
Post edited by ArcticFrost - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well you've got the installer, it installs the program, and all the files that get unzipped not only take up more space, but also are taking up space in addition to the space that the installer is already taking up.

The system requirement is for running the client. If you're that short on space, it's way past time to either A. Clean your hard drive or B. upgrade your system.

So basically you've got the installer, which is 6.31GB, plus the client after install, which is 7.01GB. 6.31GB + 7.01GB = 13.32
    So you'll want a minimum of 14GB free space in order to install the client, unless you move the installer to an external drive. (Those 8GB flash drives do have some handy uses.)

So it's a small increase over what it used to be in the past, but that's largely because of the size of the last update. In reality though, the drive space requirement only increased by about 1GB.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • stormybluesky
    stormybluesky Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Alright, thank you. I kinda have been lax on recent system cleanups. b:embarrass

I recall the system requirements being 16 GB free, but apparently they felt there was no need to point out that installing the game kills twice as much space as playing it.
  • ArcticFrost - Raging Tide
    ArcticFrost - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Of course, I did recently encounter a lovely disk-cleanup program available on the Windows web site.

Saves massive amounts of frustration, especially with, "Why the heck can I not rid my computer of so much inaccessible junk???"

Kind of like with facial cleanser, "Why you only exfoliate????"

Scrub off the top layer of my skin, or delete System32. One way or the other. b:chuckle

It's called CCleaner, if anyone needs help freeing up extra space for the new update.

Also, removing the epidermal layer of your skin does absolutely nothing to clear your pores.