Mobs Working as Intended?

Options
AliceAdams - Lost City
AliceAdams - Lost City Posts: 308 Arc User
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
So, I've been doing a lot of grinding lately (I know that's scary to a lot of people)b:shutup

I've been noticing some things with magic mobs and I was wondering if this was normal or not.

Lethal Araneid Sharpfangs- Poison is stacking. I thought stuff like that couldn't stack, or at least not for OUR skills; so is this working properly? I stood there and took it like a champ for a minute, and it got up to 400 poison per second. This isn't bad, it just seems like the mechanics of it are wonky.

Glacial Maidens (and similar magic mobs)- Magic users (meaning the characters we get) generally have **** for a physical attack. So why are magic mobs doing almost the same physical and magical attack? For someone like me, it's like I'm getting hit with double damage.

The aforementioned spiders are only doing about 30 physical, so that seems about on par with what I'd expect, especially considering their poison is stacking like that. But if something is hitting for 450 magic attack, is it really supposed to hit for 375 physical? If it's a MAGIC mob, shouldn't it be hitting for 250 or less physical attack?

No, I'm not really complaining or saying it's too hard. Just wondering if it's working right.
I'M 103 YOU STUPID AVATAR!!!
b:angryf:fume
Post edited by AliceAdams - Lost City on

Comments

• Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ofcourse poison stacks.
    And yes it works the same way for our own skills, all damage over time debufs stack. Same for heal over time bufs

The mobs are not magical, they are simply mobs with magic attacks. Yes they work that way
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It's working right and as intended. The spiders especially I know have always, and I do mean always stacked. It's the main reason clerics are arguably the best period at grinding them. We can just purify the dot.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ok, I didn't know poison stacks. The only dot I have experience with is bleed damage, which I don't think stacks. (or at least I've never seen it stack)

The mobs are not magical, they are simply mobs with magic attacks

The glacial maidens may be non-elemental, but they are still a mob that primarily attacks with magic.

I just find it odd to have almost 1/4 of my health taken from a mob 7 levels below me before I can blink. I thought that was the point of sacrificial assault and increased attack. Which, if I come across one of those, now I'm missing almost half my health.

Like I said, not complaining, just seems like it's not quite balanced properly.b:surrender
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ok, I didn't know poison stacks. The only dot I have experience with is bleed damage, which I don't think stacks. (or at least I've never seen it stack)

The glacial maidens may be non-elemental, but they are still a mob that primarily attacks with magic.

I just find it odd to have almost 1/4 of my health taken from a mob 7 levels below me before I can blink. I thought that was the point of sacrificial assault and increased attack. Which, if I come across one of those, now I'm missing almost half my health.

Like I said, not complaining, just seems like it's not quite balanced properly.b:surrender

I was out doing them yesterday and I didn't notice that it was any different from the way it's always been.
    Glacial Maidens have always been like that also, and they aren't the only mob in the game like that. It just doesn't have an elemental weakness. That has nothing to do with it's attack type. (i.e. Gluttonix in 59 has an Earth status and does Fire DoT. There are several other mobs that have one weakness status, but attack using a different element.)

It's balanced just fine, and it's pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years in most cases.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It's ballanced by nature that sins are squishy. That's intended.

But if a low mob deals such damage to you, it's time to update your gear.
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited November 2012
    Options

I feel the same way when certain melee mobs get too close. Its just the armor type. Trying using some magic rings if you have them they refine for m.def.

• AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It's ballanced by nature that sins are squishy. That's intended.

But if a low mob deals such damage to you, it's time to update your gear.

I am actually using the proper gear for my level range. Unfortunately, I'm at that in-between point where I probably need the next set of gear, but need another level or two to get it. Plus tons of money. Plus a squad to go farming with.

b:sad
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I am actually using the proper gear for my level range. Unfortunately, I'm at that in-between point where I probably need the next set of gear, but need another level or two to get it. Plus tons of money. Plus a squad to go farming with.

b:sad

Including your ornaments?
    Do you ballance them to have extra defences against the thing you are weak to?
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Including your ornaments?
    Do you ballance them to have extra defences against the thing you are weak to?

My physical defense is 3752, elemental @ 3693 (water is 4027).

All of my gear is refined to at least 2. Can't really afford to refine everything higher.b:cry

And unfortunately, getting 48 magic resist off a ring isn't going to do as much good as 100 to physical attack.
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options

All of my gear is refined to at least 2. Can't really afford to refine everything higher.b:cry

And unfortunately, getting 48 magic resist off a ring isn't going to do as much good as 100 to physical attack.

This makes me suspect you have below 4k HP, unless you've put points into VIT. Then it's no wonder monsters are such a pain.

There is a trick against this for assassins: use Tackling Slash (immobilize) and run into the middle of the mob. This way it can not attack you until the immobilize wears off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited November 2012
    Options

You'll want to get one anyway eventually for BH snake though. At least, I found it easier personally. That's aoe so it's a different thing but you can use it until you can get close to the mob and tackling slash. Then swap out rings for the actual attacking. At least until you get better gear. :P

• AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    This makes me suspect you have below 4k HP, unless you've put points into VIT. Then it's no wonder monsters are such a pain.

There is a trick against this for assassins: use Tackling Slash (immobilize) and run into the middle of the mob. This way it can not attack you until the immobilize wears off.

4911 hp

I've got 60 points in vitality, plus another 25 points from gear, plus refines and shards.

So, I'm saving up for another perfect attendance ring. I was hoping for the physical one, but you think I should get magic instead?

Also, does magic attack do anything at all for a sin? I'm assuming not, but can't remember reading anything one way or the other.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Options

Or you can start with the tele skill (or the stun one) which teles you in the middle of the mob and use TS.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Options
    4911 hp

I've got 60 points in vitality, plus another 25 points from gear, plus refines and shards.

So, I'm saving up for another perfect attendance ring. I was hoping for the physical one, but you think I should get magic instead?

Also, does magic attack do anything at all for a sin? I'm assuming not, but can't remember reading anything one way or the other.

Nope. Lol.

I think their moves that do elemental damage are based of physical attack.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited November 2012
    Options
    4911 hp

You wouldn't use it as a primary ring so no, don't do that. It would just be something to use when you're taking magic damage and not getting heals from BP. Such as boss aoe, or when you're running into a mob and taking magic damage before you can use tackling slash since sometimes teles are on CD. Not something you'd use all the time for sure.

• lordhanzo
    lordhanzo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options

Sadly this is only works on mob who has Physical attack only, if you paralyze a mob that do Magic attack, or a versatile mob (meaning can do Physical & Magic attack) and go to their position, they will not do Physical attack on you (because they can't), but they will still cast a spell and do Magic attack on you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm on Heavens Tear!
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    lordhanzo wrote: »
    Sadly this is only works on mob who has Physical attack only, if you paralyze a mob that do Magic attack, or a versatile mob (meaning can do Physical & Magic attack) and go to their position, they will not do Physical attack on you (because they can't), but they will still cast a spell and do Magic attack on you.

Ah. I only really abused this on my newbie sin (where mobs are mostly physical), so wasn't entirely sure.

Still, magic attacks tend to do less DPS on you than physical attacks by mobs due to the rather slow casting time, so I suspect that it at least helps a little bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Also, as a sin status effects are you friend, you don't have to save up that chi to spark.

Use headhunt, sleep when you start taking too much damage and give your pots time to catch up, you can even combo tackling slash and throatcut too effectively stun the mob.

That's what those skills are there for, you might not kill the mob as fast, but you'll take less damage over all and become better at combo-ing your skills.

Don't relay on cheaty methods like Tackling Slash-ing a mob and standing inside it.

Edit: Also, if you really find yourself having to predominantly skill spam to keep the mob locked, put on Chill of the Deep. You're not aps yet anyway, so most of your damage will come from skills still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Also, as a sin status effects are you friend, you don't have to save up that chi to spark.

Use headhunt, sleep when you start taking too much damage and give your pots time to catch up, you can even combo tackling slash and throatcut too effectively stun the mob.

That's what those skills are there for, you might not kill the mob as fast, but you'll take less damage over all and become better at combo-ing your skills.

Don't relay on cheaty methods like Tackling Slash-ing a mob and standing inside it.

Edit: Also, if you really find yourself having to predominantly skill spam to keep the mob locked, put on Chill of the Deep. You're not aps yet anyway, so most of your damage will come from skills still.

Lol I'm a skill spamming sage sin (say that 5 times fastb:chuckle). At 1.54 aps I can almost permaspark on bosses.b:coolb:laugh

I tend to only use CotD when I need to NOT steal aggro in a squad. If I'm out grinding solo, I need all my aps to keep myself healed with BP.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I tend to only use CotD when I need to NOT steal aggro in a squad. If I'm out grinding solo, I need all my aps to keep myself healed with BP.

I'm sorry but that's not really the true use of CotD. If your CotD is leveled you'll get so much more damage and BP back from your skill spamming on that locked down mob you'll not care too much about your aps. I mean we're talking about mobs with what? like 60-80k hp?

I'm not saying completely change your playstyle, but just try it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    My chill is only level 1. So right now, it only gives 16.5 attack levels, which will equate to about 100 more damage (give or take). I have tried it before. I generally do better without it, but I'll give it another shot while I'm grinding today.

But back to the original topic:

Consider this-
    Physical mob does 450 physical attack, plus an occasional debuff and/or self buff.
    Magical mob does 450 magic attack, 350 physical attack, plus debuff and/or self buff.

And like I said, it's not that I'm worried about personally taking too much damage. I tend to stay away from those types of mobs unless I need them for divines. It's just that they seem a bit overpowered compared to how the rest of this game works.

And I really do appreciate all the tips and hints and stuff. There's hardly anyone on my server that's this helpful. And the few that are tend to disappear for weeks or months at a time.

Still don't know if it's true, how, or why you get 50 attack levels when you hit 100. Is it just attack, or defense too?
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Still don't know if it's true, how, or why you get 50 attack levels when you hit 100. Is it just attack, or defense too?

There's no passive gain of attack or defense levels at 100. There's gear that gives it (like nirvy and r9) and of course blessings, but those aren't level dependent.

Unless I'm just completely forgetting something, someone's misinformed you.

P.S. CotD lvl 10 is 30 attack levels, sage 35.

P.P.S. I'm guessing you probably know this, but I've run into many people who didn't, but you can toggle CotD off and on by recasting the skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    There's no passive gain of attack or defense levels at 100. There's gear that gives it (like nirvy and r9) and of course blessings, but those aren't level dependent.

Unless I'm just completely forgetting something, someone's misinformed you.

This makes me sad. Was hoping to not suck soon.

P.S. CotD lvl 10 is 30 attack levels, sage 35.

P.P.S. I'm guessing you probably know this, but I've run into many people who didn't, but you can toggle CotD off and on by recasting the skill.

Yes, I did actually know this. Yay for knowing stuff, cuz knowledge is power!b:pleased

And to be fair, I actually CAN permaspark if I can click stuff fast enough lol. I could ALMOST permaspark 25 levels ago. Granted it was either 1 or 2 spark, but still not bad.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    The thing about CoD is that it amps your dmg per hit, but at the same time reduces your hit per second.
    If you go APSing, you will lose dmg per second with CoD, but if you spam skills (and thus your APS doesn't matter), CoD is nothing but extra damage
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    And to be fair, I actually CAN permaspark if I can click stuff fast enough lol. I could ALMOST permaspark 25 levels ago. Granted it was either 1 or 2 spark, but still not bad.

Hax sins skills make my bm so jealousb:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Options

How you mean click on things fast enough?
    I'm guessing it means you click your skills exclusively with your mouse. I'd suggest you try it with hotkeys than. You can use the keys 1-9 and F1-F8
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    So why are magic mobs doing almost the same physical and magical attack? For someone like me, it's like I'm getting hit with double damage.

All of my gear is refined to at least 2.

You answered your own question. I wanted to be very mean in this post, but decided not to, since other posters took you seriously b:chuckle.

Your pdef and mdef is similar, of courses mob damage will be similar. One of the reasons why i prefer bm for these kind of mobs. Magic marrow, magic attack is miniscule, a 600 hit becomes 200~300. When in close range, switch to phy marrow. A 300~400 hit (bm have higher pdef compared to sins, so we take less phy damage) becomes 100~200 hit.

All mobs work like. Poison does stack and can become quite deadly. In some places poison ticks are 400~600, and if i marrow wrong on the poison that is 800~1.1k per tick.

You are a sin, your gear has bad refines, had you quested all the way up. You would have noticed that mobs hit harder and harder as you go up the levels. Culminating in instance mobs being very hard hitting if you don't have good refines at bh 100 lvl. It is not a matter of your gear being up to date, it is whether your ornaments, rings, helm, robe help in your pdef and mdef.
  • AliceAdams - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You are a sin, your gear has bad refines, had you quested all the way up. You would have noticed that mobs hit harder and harder as you go up the levels..

This right here made me stop listening to you.

I'm a sin because I played one in another MMO and was ultimately familiar with the play style of the character. I strive to be a better sin than all the fail sins I've seen in this game.

My gear has crappy refines because I'm not a cash shopper. I just need more pots than the rest of you.

I've probably done more questing, grinding, and general work than half the people on my server combined.

I'm fully aware that mobs hit harder at higher levels, and I don't appreciate the veiled insult to my intelligence.

My defenses have nothing to do with the base damage of the mobs. My defenses only help me take less of their base damage.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    This right here made me stop listening to you.

I'm a sin because I played one in another MMO and was ultimately familiar with the play style of the character. I strive to be a better sin than all the fail sins I've seen in this game.

My gear has crappy refines because I'm not a cash shopper. I just need more pots than the rest of you.

I've probably done more questing, grinding, and general work than half the people on my server combined.

I'm fully aware that mobs hit harder at higher levels, and I don't appreciate the veiled insult to my intelligence.

My defenses have nothing to do with the base damage of the mobs. My defenses only help me take less of their base damage.

I don't think he's directly insulting your intelligence, he's more insulting sins in general. And it's true that most of the fail people on PWI play sins.
    Most people turn around the stereotype
  • lordhanzo
    lordhanzo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    and I don't appreciate the veiled insult to my intelligence.

I don't see any insulting words in Jaabg's post :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm on Heavens Tear!