INI Editing to change UI

Darendo - Sanctuary
Darendo - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
How do I change the ini file so i can use the old UI? (change the Theme numver from one to zero).
Every time I change it and exit the window, it asks me whether I would like to save. I click "Yes, Save this file" and then a small window comes up saying that im unable to change the number?
I've tried running the file 'as administrator' and creating an entirely new ini file (exactly the same) but I still cant save it! HALP b:sad

I'm currently running Windows 7 b:thanks
The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.
Post edited by Darendo - Sanctuary on

Comments

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    Ambisagrus - Lost City Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    1.) DO NOT HAVE PWI RUNNING.

2.) PWE Folder > element folder > userdata > systemsetting

3.) Once there, open systemsetting (very last one), change [UI] Theme = 1 to [UI] Theme = 0.

4.) File > Save

5.) Close Notepad

Now open PWI and enjoy.
    Going for on sin: pwcalc.com/d916f4e82a02e4dd

Currently saved: 0

Total cost: 5 bil

My time: Lulz.
  • Cathulion - Dreamweaver
    Cathulion - Dreamweaver Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is this even allowed?
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is this even allowed?

Yes, see my link. It's been allowed longer than facial ini editing but only because some people have difficulty playing without using the old UI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yes, see my link. It's been allowed longer than facial ini editing but only because some people have difficulty playing without using the old UI.

That's only because they insist on playing the game on screens with too small of a resolution to be effective for gaming.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • Darendo - Sanctuary
    Darendo - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Thanks for the link VenusArmani, but the problem is that if I change the text in the systemsettings.ini file, I cannot save it.
    I've tried going file -> save, tried exiting the window and saving, creating a new .ini file etc.
    even tried running 'as administrator' but I cannot change the data in the file and save it into the PWE userdata location.
    Any ideas of how I can unlock the file so I can save changes made to it?
    (Windows 7 with administrator permissions enabled on the account).

I kind of need a back door to the file so I can change it. I hope that's not against the ToS, but if this kind of editing is allowed, I believe the ends justify the means.
    Thanks! b:victory
    The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
    Naming is the origin
    of all particular things.
  • Bladed_Tony - Raging Tide
    Bladed_Tony - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    u need to right click it, go to properties and make sure the "read only" item is not checked so u can change it
    Attacking at the speed of Suck since 2009
  • Llux - Sanctuary
    Llux - Sanctuary Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For those who have Windows 7, I had to right click the elements folder and I believe I went to properties. Either way once I got to permissions I had to click a bunch of little checkmark boxes to make sure I could fully edit everything in there. Maybe I had to do it to the game file as a whole, can't remember.

If you're having trouble there are guides online if you search in google. 'Windows 7 changing file permissions'. Things like that.

That was for character editing so I can see that it might have to be done as well for the ui folders/where ever that code is held.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~My Screenshot Tumblr~
    insanitymogit.tumblr.com
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    Ambisagrus - Lost City Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the link VenusArmani, but the problem is that if I change the text in the systemsettings.ini file, I cannot save it.
    I've tried going file -> save, tried exiting the window and saving, creating a new .ini file etc.
    even tried running 'as administrator' but I cannot change the data in the file and save it into the PWE userdata location.
    Any ideas of how I can unlock the file so I can save changes made to it?
    (Windows 7 with administrator permissions enabled on the account).

I kind of need a back door to the file so I can change it. I hope that's not against the ToS, but if this kind of editing is allowed, I believe the ends justify the means.
    Thanks! b:victory

Ugh....

Ok, seriously just follow what I put x.x

I know it works, already did it myself and have the UI of the old, hell I can post a screenshot if you want proof.

EDIT: And I am running on Windows 7 Premimum 64 bit myself, so seriously if you are having issues with what I listed as steps. You are doing something wrong.
    Going for on sin: pwcalc.com/d916f4e82a02e4dd

Currently saved: 0

Total cost: 5 bil

My time: Lulz.
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's a pity pwe would never to allow me to release my work or you guys would only have a button to click in game to use either ui... It's a nice ui switcher too.

But of course only pwcn gets to enjoy it in its full glory... b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands
    Yuji_Sakai - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You seem to be having a problem with permissions. Usually Win7 doesn't like to let people edit files in their Programs folder unless they mess with the permissions. Whenever I run into a problem like that and I don't feel like messing with the permission settings, I just do this:

1. Copy the file you are editing to a folder outside of "Program Files". Your "My Documents" folder, for example, should work.

2. Open the file from the new location, edit, and save it.

3. Copy the edited file back into its original place in your PWI Folder. When asked if you want to overwrite, say yes.

And now you have an edited file in your PWI folder, effectively dodging Win7's permissions quirks. The only reason this wouldn't work is maybe if you aren't on an administrator account.
  • John_Smith - Harshlands
    John_Smith - Harshlands Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1014171

I got my old thread about it stickied, it's allowed for sure.

---

To take ownership (So you can freely edit the folder) :

Right Click the game folder.

Select the Security Tab.

Click the Edit button (It should have the indication it will bring up UAC if it's turned on(Little yellow and blue shield)) .

Click "Users (yourusername/users)"

Click the Full Control box and hit apply, wait for it to apply the new permissions to the folder.

---

There's obviously a bunch of potential security risks with making it this easy to edit the folder, but someone else can explain it it you're concerned. Realisticaly, it won't matter for **** if you have a half decent AV.

---

Mor_Toran - Sanctuary; No, not really. I play on a 1366x768 screen. Does fine for every game but this, the new UI is badly sized. On top of that, this game will run on hardware dating back to 2000, and a lot of people run it on "sub gaming" level hardware.

Aaand additionally, the other versions have a switch. Unless it dissapeard recently, just try it, you'll see a switch to turn to the new UI from the old. They're just too lazy to maintain it here and removed the functionality.
    I've quit excluding TW for my faction. But I still hang around to help out those who still enjoy the game under PWEs horrific handling and to have fun in the forums. b:cute
    #Shame about PWEs absolutely craptastic handling of the goons glitching. Remember kids, there's no punishment for breaking the rules here!#
    If you make a valid complaint, your thread will disapear. Don't post it here, post it on other sites where PW can't hide it.