edited November 2012 in Support Desk
i have a mac and i don't know PWI run in mac T_T
Post edited by leoteku on

Comments

• Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Macs are not for gaming.

Nevertheless, just search on forums for how to run pwi on macs.
    Most of the methods involve running something like boot camp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cathulion - Dreamweaver
    Cathulion - Dreamweaver Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Window is designed for gaming, not MAC and Linux.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Its more like gaming is designed for windows. In any case you can use either Crossover Games / Parallels / Boot Camp to play PWI on mac.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Its more like gaming is designed for windows.

Yes, this is precicely it. Companies manufacture games for Windows because it's the popular OS. There isn't enough profit to be made by designing games to run on OS's that are used by less than 10% of the population.

Linux can actually run games better than Windows because the OS isn't as bloated. PWI run on an identical system runs 10-15% faster/better on Linux than it does on a clean Windows install that's been optimized for performance. (Real numbers, I have actually tested this.)

For the Mac, I'm sure it would be similar, but I don't have a mac OS to test it with. Personally, if you have a newer mac, (less than 6 or 7 years old that has the Intel chip), get Windows and dual-boot.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Windows is NOT designed for gaming just like game consoles are not designed for Internet access. Any dominant OS is going to be supported by the majority of game producers.
    Yes, this is precicely it. Companies manufacture games for Windows because it's the popular OS.

You sure it's not about directX vs OGL?

"Note that many essential OpenGL extensions and methods, although documented, are actually patented, thus imposing serious legal troubles to implement them" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D
    There isn't enough profit to be made by designing games to run on OS's that are used by less than 10% of the population.

I think it's more about Linux users having their own resources to play such games and their general lack of interest in paying for software when there's a lot of great free software.
    Linux can actually run games better than Windows because the OS isn't as bloated.

Not only can some distributions of Linux be bloated but in regards to DirectX:

"It can also be used on other operating systems through special software such as Wine, although the subset of features provided is not as complete as the reference implementation." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D
    PWI run on an identical system runs 10-15% faster/better on Linux than it does on a clean Windows install that's been optimized for performance. (Real numbers, I have actually tested this.)

You tested this on how many configurations, using what API, what video chipset, audio features, ram, etc, and ensured that all features were implemented?
  • Zanir - Lothranis
    Zanir - Lothranis Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To answer the question since everyone else seems to be devolving into a pissing match...

Yes, PWI is playable on a mac. I play it every day from my Macbook Pro. You need to get Boot Camp and Windows for Mac if you don't already have it. Once you've got those, partition your Hard Drive and install Windows. Download PWI and you're good to go. I've got a good desktop PC that I thought was great for PWI, game ran wonderfully, then I got this Macbook and was blown away by the difference.

To get to the Windows partition all you need to do is hold down the Option (Alt) key at start-up and you'll get a menu to select which partition to load. You should get 3 option, Mac OS, Windows and Recovery. Select Windows and you're all set. It will boot up just like a regular Windows PC.

Hope this helped.
  • nehwalsaina
    nehwalsaina Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It doesn't support mac, but if you have any type file recovery requirement in Mac then go for Kernel for Macintosh data recovery software, visit http://www.macrecoverytool.net for all your mac recovery purpose.
  • Linq - Raging Tide
    Linq - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Like Zanir, I play PWI on a macbook pro all the time, but I use CrossOver Games, which Asterelle mentioned. Getting it set up took a little bit of work, but it runs very well for me, without having to reboot into Windows.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    Zhu - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I play PWI on Mac, but Crossover Games costs money, I play for free by using wineskin. Works better than Crossover, to be honest.
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    edited October 2012
    thumbs wrote: »
    You tested this on how many configurations, using what API, what video chipset, audio features, ram, etc, and ensured that all features were implemented?

Tested on 5 different systems ranging from a Pentium 3, 512MB Ram with a Ti4200, up to a Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 with an 8800GT. All were running PWI with the same graphical settings for the testing purposes.

Each system was tested on Windows, Benchemarked for client loading times and overall FPS, then reformatted to Ubuntu 10.04 and tested again.

The largest improvement was seen on the older systems, with FPS ranging from 12-18FPS on Windows, and 27-32FPS on Linux.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If PW client can barely run in Windows, then I wonder how it would run on an emulator in Mac OS. Or even using WINE on Linux.

My guess? It would run better. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If PW client can barely run in Windows, then I wonder how it would run on an emulator in Mac OS. Or even using WINE on Linux.

My guess? It would run better. >_>

Wine is not an emulator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • augustfinknottle
    augustfinknottle Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wine is not an emulator.

She never said it was, Ast.

"If PW client can barely run in Windows, then I wonder how it would run on an emulator in Mac OS. Or even using WINE on Linux".

Two different things. It's an emulator on a mac OR WINE on Linux. Sorry, been doing lots of text editting today and got picky.
  • SilentWisp - Heavens Tear
    SilentWisp - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thats a mighty expensive paperweight you have there. b:thanks
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thats a mighty expensive paperweight you have there. b:thanks
    b:chuckle So is the brand new alienware PC with windows 7 that my fac leader bought months ago that refuses to run pwi, so she plays on her mac instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • _Truffle_ - Dreamweaver
    _Truffle_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    b:chuckle So is the brand new alienware PC with windows 7 that my fac leader bought months ago that refuses to run pwi, so she plays on her mac instead.

Alienware is just Dell crappiness with a different name brand.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Alienware is just Dell crappiness with a different name brand.
    Oh, I know that. I was just making a point that any type can become a very expensive paperweight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • LunarCainEX - Dreamweaver
    LunarCainEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is why apple sucks so bad
    Death Is Our Father. Death Is Our God. Death Had 12 Children. They Are Know As The True Death Gods. They bear children. If Each Death God Has More Than A Child, One Shall Live To Be The Reaper, All Shall Die. 1 Father. 12 Death Gods. 12 Reapers. We Are The Family Of Death. We Reap We Reap What We Sow. We Watch Over Those That Are About To Die. We Feast Upon The Evil Souls, And Bless The Peaceful Souls. By Day We Act As Humans. By Night We Hunt For Souls. My Name Is LunarCainEX. I Am The 2nd Reaper Of The 2nd Death God. Death Is My God. I Am The Moon With A Cursed Legacy. Let This Be Know, That Death Is My Only God, My Only Father, My Only Purpose To Live, And To Die If He Wished Me To.
  • EpicFrog - Archosaur
    EpicFrog - Archosaur Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I use Ubuntu all of the time for gaming. It is more the fault on the game developers than the operating system.
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    edited October 2012
    I use Ubuntu all of the time for gaming. It is more the fault on the game developers than the operating system.

Actually......
    Windows was designed as a business operations powerhouse. To handle large databases and documents.

Mac was designed for media developers.

SO, by that, Mac is more designed for gaming than Windows. The reason games are written for Windows was because Microsoft had 95% of the marketshare, and until recently, that has been the case for 30 years now. If you want to make money on a game, you don't write it for an operating system that isn't a major player.

Personally, I prefer to run Linux myself. Unfortunately, most of the applications I use aren't written for Linux.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Blame the user not the game or OS.

Alienware PCs probably comes with tons and tons of bloatware apps.
    Actually......
    Windows was designed as a business operations powerhouse. To handle large databases and documents.

Mac was designed for media developers.

SO, by that, Mac is more designed for gaming than Windows.
    Erm, OSX was design to compete with Windows in every way. It's not made for "media developers" it's just that most of them prefer OSX.
    Also, both OS's are made for gaming. Difference is that MS is pushing really hard with DirectX technology. That's why today everyone is talking about DirectX 11 and almost nobody is talking about OpenGL 4.3.
    Also developers, or more correctly, publishers, are actually ones that make decisions to first make game for consoles then just port that game to PC. That kills performance cause game isn't optimized for PC, but instead it's just using raw power of PC to run game.
  • Shardik - Lost City
    Shardik - Lost City Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wine is not an emulator.

This.

+1

Wine b:pleased

Is b:chuckle

Not an b:laugh

Emulator b:thanks

Sorry i love this recursive backronym b:chuckle

Yeah i ripped that from wikipedia XD
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    closed for necro

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Boot Camp.

If you wish to play pwi on any mac system, Ast's answer is the best assuming you have a viable copy of any windows edition.

Being said, Fuzzy place this in the tech section.

-moved-
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
This discussion has been closed.