Planning to make a SIMPLE psy guide

Options
Yzdrazil - Raging Tide
Yzdrazil - Raging Tide Posts: 40 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Psychic
So ummm, I'm planning to do a really simple Psychic guide here on the forum for really new members in PWI because from my (and yours) expirience a Psychic is a really simple and easy class in PWI to play if you know the basics. I've seen too many noobs playing a psy using a melee weapon, and too many facepalms for that (I've got alot of headache latly). Now people I want YOU to help me out, what do you think is most important in my guide. Throw in your ideas below please! There are already two Psychic guides yes, but I'm planning on a simple guide with things who is missing in the other guides so help me out and tell me what you think is missing!

Btw help me spell check, if I've done some bad grammar or spelling then please tell so I can fix it ^^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RL girl playing male Phychic.. So no flirting please... b:surrender
Post edited by Yzdrazil - Raging Tide on

Comments

• _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    First of all change the colour of your text.
    Um just give basic skill desciptions and sum up each of the builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Just having started a Psy:

A quick, listed comparison of Demon vs Sage (took me a while to understand the differences)

Gear guide. GEAR GUIDE. Talk plainly and specifically about -chan and where it helps you, and does not help you. Matchless Wings vs 2nd/3rd Stage Nirvana. Ideal HP levels. That kinda stuff. Also talk about crits + crit build.

Quick gear guide for the lowbies. Hell I dont even see a concrete "gear build" full of PWI calcs for 100+.

Do NOT do a full skill guide. Do a necessary skill guide and the combos. I wish it was clearer what not to level, I would not have wasted so much spirit. IE - What are the necessary skills I need to level along the way.

In the two stat builds, how much vit someone should stop at. As far as I understand it's mag build with enough str for gear (which I either read wrong or its explained wrong in the guides), or with some vit mixed in. How much vit should one stop at? (I assume 53/58.)

Avoiding aggro while grouping advice. Something past different voodoo.

DONT include PK advice. Make a different guide for that. 75% of the players don't PK/TW.

(Also, get a readable font and readable color)
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ^^ imo psys shouldnt have any vit it just makes things harder for them. And i capped my str at 55 for gear and put the rest into magic.
    Skills to max
    aqua impact, glacial shards, aqua cannon, soul of retaliation, earth vector, voodos, psy will and um the starter earth skill (cant remember the name) and the earth aoe (sandburst blast i think its called and landslide.
    Dont lvl soul of vengenace until you can get it to lvl 11.
    Good skill combos are glacial shards, aqua impact and landslide
    a good combo for ff's (providing you have a bm to hf) is to spark when the barb aggroes before he runs into BB. Use SoR to get enough chi to use psychic will. Aqua cannon once you see hf, psy will (ideally they should be dead by this but if not just use another aoe)
    Oh yeah another aspect you could talk about is genie skills.
    Feel free to use any of this if you want to btw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    TheDendra - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You should talk about things you absolutely positively know about, there's nothing worse than a bad guide misguiding new players. So stick to the perimeters of your knowledge and you'll be fine, every time something comes down to personal choice or you are uncertain about it, clarify that to avoid any misconceptions.

Far as to the above on vitality - pure build is the "only" choice. I'm saying that because the other choice for psy is a HA build if you want to go in the complete opposite direction. Any hybrid builds are not good at all. People have this illusion that vitality will make them less squishy, but in reality you will actually die more or the same amount of times a pure build does and you'll deal a lot less damage.

Our weapon and base stats are the primary source of our damage output, meaning that you can get hp from all the armor shards and refines without cutting down your damage output. If for whatever reason you have a fetish for vitality, need to have it to sleep at night no matter how useless it may be, don't invest more than 50 points into vitality because even that much is borderline crazy - and I'll try to forget there are psys with over 200 base vitality points which yeah sure has an impact on how many hits you can take, but also makes you deal 35% of the damage you should be dealing.
  • Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    the color of your text makes my eyes bleed.

edit: beside that I think that stating what skill is important to level at certain levels is nice.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Since theres some attention to this thread....

Is veil of shadow worth a damn?

Is Crystal Light worth a damn?

Reason I ask is I don't have much for spirit...
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    edited October 2012
    Options

Crystal light is one of the best skills you will ever get. Veil of shadow is the complete opposite.
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options

get crystal light and essential sutra, both are pro

the veil morai skill is ****
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • Yzdrazil - Raging Tide
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The guide is up and at work! Go check it out and give me tips and info so I can make it better! b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• TheDendra - Harshlands
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Regarding the guide - You'll rarely need white voodoo while levelling up. Only time you'll really need it is from lvls80-90 on exp room boss in FC if you are a pure build so that you don't die to his aoe. Empowered vigor is one of the last skills you'll lvl up because it plays no real relevance. Red Tide is way too expensive and it starts to shine when your soulforce rises, so it's the last aoe skill on the list to lvl up. Earth Vector is the expensive aoe you want to get up fast. You also don't want to max out soul of vengeance until you get sage/demon version because it only increases the range at which you can cast it on a target.

Anyway, thought it from your first sentence and keep re-confirming that you're still too green to write a guide for psys, rushing it is worse than not doing it - doing things for the sake of doing them is not enough. If you don't have something new to bring or have a sound knowledge of what's already been told then there is no point in writing a guide for other than personal satisfaction - and shouldn't guides be for the benefit of others...There are other ways to contribute and for now you might as well learn before teaching others, if teaching is what you want to do.
  • Yzdrazil - Raging Tide
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Regarding the guide - You'll rarely need white voodoo while levelling up. Only time you'll really need it is from lvls80-90 on exp room boss in FC if you are a pure build so that you don't die to his aoe. Empowered vigor is one of the last skills you'll lvl up because it plays no real relevance. Red Tide is way too expensive and it starts to shine when your soulforce rises, so it's the last aoe skill on the list to lvl up. Earth Vector is the expensive aoe you want to get up fast. You also don't want to max out soul of vengeance until you get sage/demon version because it only increases the range at which you can cast it on a target.

Anyway, thought it from your first sentence and keep re-confirming that you're still too green to write a guide for psys, rushing it is worse than not doing it - doing things for the sake of doing them is not enough. If you don't have something new to bring or have a sound knowledge of what's already been told then there is no point in writing a guide for other than personal satisfaction - and shouldn't guides be for the benefit of others...There are other ways to contribute and for now you might as well learn before teaching others, if teaching is what you want to do.

Hi there, I would like to tell you, from my expirience I've needed white voodoo from the low levels (50+) Doing BH, because sometimes you want to lower your damage so you don't take aggro. About the empowered vigor, red Tide and earth vector. I agree with you about SoV so I will type it in the guide.

The main resason with My guide is to help fast. Not with long texts so you need to search for the info. And I Will keep My guide editable so I can put in more info if you give me. Thanks for the info btw :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I remember talking to someone who called me an idiot for leaving white voodoo at level 5 until about 70-ish and maxing black voodoo as soon as I was able to. This guy also made his psychic light armor which...well yeah. I never had to use it until I got into places with nasty aoes or if the tank was ****astic and I managed to take aggro even unvoodoo'd (this has happened to me more times than I care to count). A friend of mine dubbed it "white doodoo" because you wouldn't use it unless you were in deep ****. And like it was said--you're usually not in deep **** till FC range and beyond. And even at 100+, I use white voodoo only when I'm doing snakefist bh and all the sharks that think they can tank (a.k.a. sins) die.

Crystal Light is awesome. I felt sorry for this one low level veno who I one-shot while in room 45. She was standing right in front of me (linear aoe). But then she proceeded to say that my faction (Calamity at the time) "thinks we can rule cube" and was like "well **** you too, I did say sorry!"

Veil...I still haven't found a use for. Its usefulness is right up there with the mermaid transformation skill that escapes me. Coulda saved that spirit for a 100 skill.

Essential Sutra (now called Tradewinds) has its uses as well. Would I get it before Crystal Light? Hell no, but to fly faster? I'll take it.

I kinda regret leveling red tide. While the bleed is nice and all, in most situations, I find myself using earth vector, psy will, and soulburn a lot more. Mine is sage and has a chance to not cost 2 sparks, but either way, it's meh. The only thing I truly love about Red Tide is its name--oh the jokes I (and others) made. (For those who are wondering "Red Tide" is slang for the woman's "time of the month")

Umm...everyone seemed to have covered it all.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Erryne - Sanctuary
    Erryne - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    For Big Room boss in fcc, I noticed that he aoe every 30sec or so. I'd highly recommend to simply recast Soul of Retaliation every 30sec over using white voodoo for a similar protection. Just in case that you're unaware, SoR increase it's damage absorb by 0.05, but pwi round it up, which make it look like that lv2 is same as lv1 when it's false. (sidenote, level soul of silence only when you start getting closer to 10% chance to seal)

As far as using white voodoo for agro control at lower level, it's called waiting a little or pacing your spells(not that high level are safe, but usually gear and experience help survive). Starting with DoTs on boss is also a good use of that waiting time.

I learned Essantial Sutra after my 1st long TW on my psychic, it's more of a pvp spell anyways, even if it's a 1sec cast for 10chi while in an instance between mobs (still wondering why the hell it got renamed to failure). And yes, crystal light first, it's a good nuke, even better as you improve your weapon.

I personally found Veil of Shadow so far to be usefull for one thing, casting it, then cancelling while it channel. Only good when bored. Not trying it so far in TW due to spark cost and lack of time where it might truly come in handy.