Sage penetrate armor

Flameofwar - Harshlands
Flameofwar - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
I've been reviewing over some of the threads about overpriced skills. One skill in particular skill people say is overpriced is sage penetrate armor. I just want to add my 2 cents and say idc how much this skill cost its awesome! If you say devours 50% debuff is superior to it i would tell you your full of ****. If your sage barb the first thing your going to try to do after catching someone in tiger form is leave tiger form after a devour. THAT IS IF YOU DIDNT HAVE PENETRATE ARMOR SAGE. 2 reasons its better first the total channel and cast time is less then .8 of a sec devour is something like 1.2 and cost 5 more chi although it does have a 25% chance to gain 35 chi still not worth it. Mainly because if your fighting someone and you want a fast channeling high damage skill penetrate armor sage is the way to go!

On the flip side if you dont have penetrate armor sage you dont see how much damage your loosing. Devour has 50% and most barbs use penetrate in there normal skill line in human form so your going to be overstacking a 50% buff with 35%. YOU WONT REALIZE HOW MUCH DAMAGE YOUR LOOSING ON THIS. So if you think this skill is overpriced think again it might just save your life on high phy def classes trust me!
Post edited by Flameofwar - Harshlands on

Comments

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If you say devours 50% debuff is superior to it i would tell you your full of ****.

50% devour is more than 45% PA. If you compare just the debuff, Devour is better.

While I appreciate that sage PA is a great skill much of its use comes from personal playstyle/pk techniques.

If you compare the situations they're used in you can make an argument for either one being "better" but really they're two different skills meant for two different times in pk. That'd be like me comparing Surf and Mighty Swing on which is better, the tiger form aoe slow that does better damage or the single target 100% accurate human form skill. Which is better of those two? Depends on the situation.

But 1.2 sec channeling vs .9 channeling doesn't decide which is better. And comparing 30 chi as cheaper when the other skill only costs 35 chi but 25% of the time will recover 35 chi instead is kind of a push also. And tiger vs human being better is more an opinion of whats better, an opinion that can change fight to fight or with different opponents. Sages go human in pk for the damage boost and the skills (stun or BO) but they stay tiger form for the 120% def boost and 40% hp, as well as the invoke or sunder options. Both Devour and PA have their uses but is the 90m+ price tag worth the dmg bump and +15% pdef debuff to everyone? No. Most just learn to devour before they go human.

Lets not forget Devour also debuffs their attack levels before you go human, too.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Flameofwar - Harshlands
    Flameofwar - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When, you have a high base there's no question which is better. I should clarify I am talking for pk. If your sage barb of course your always going to switch out of tiger to go human. There are only 3 useful skills for pk in tiger and there cooldowns are considerably high. You said surf is really just trash damage plus the channel/cast is very high compared to that of human form skills. Alot can happen in .4 of a sec. So all im saying is its not really worth the time to devour instead just go human and spam mighty swing, PA, stomp, and slam. Agreed devour does have it uses in pve just dont see how its very helpful in pvp with the superior sage penetrate. Faster, Higher damage, Spammable! Completely different story for demon barbs ofc devour seems better in that case
  • BloodTyrant - Raging Tide
    BloodTyrant - Raging Tide Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Devour decreases phys def by 50% while sage PA only 45%, in terms of PK or group PK, a sage barb would tank the hits in tiger form and go human to try finishing the rival, in this meanwhile u could use devour and alacrity recovering around 50% of the chi used, and with a chance of freezing the target.

now u said the skill is overpriced, i always tried to get my skills with pages, i usually farm them doing CoA or Tourney, when we get to the final room u can get either the gold chest which gives a warsoul helmet (u can sell and buy pages), or a silver which gets u to 99 tags (around 16 pages). that's why i still don't have skills like surf impact demon or firestorm demon (which is useless, i just want to complete the demon skills). so in terms of money i haven't spent too much in skills, maybe 150k for stomp of the beast king

and this skill should be moved to barb forums.
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've been reviewing over some of the threads about overpriced skills. One skill in particular skill people say is overpriced is sage penetrate armor.

*snip*

All you say has nothing to do with the skill being overpriced or not. The skill is said overpriced because the price ppl see it for in ah/shop/wc is judged to high compared to it's added usefullness to lvl10 and it's relative rarity. I agree it's a great skill and that the add compared to lvl10 is pretty good. But I still think it's overpriced, since at Sanctuary the skill goes for about 135mil.

Comparing it with devour doesn't make sense. Firstly, because as already stated, they are situational and mainly depending on which form you want to use. Secondly, because you can't take out the cost issue, especially since the topic is "overpriced skills". If anything, you would be saying that sage penetrate debuff is slightly less effective then debour but costs over 5x more. Thirtly, you should compare the gain from lvl10 to sage with the price, since that is what ppl judge "not worth the cost", then put that in a relative vision off rarity and overall use of the skill.