Problem with SS on forum.

Options
Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Seems like some SS and link for SS are gone or all mess up, is there any problem with the forum?

Ex: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1381761

Check the second post.

Edit: wow can't link anymore, but yea it's kinda my point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
Post edited by Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands on

Comments

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looks like someone messed up the url tags o_o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looks like someone messed up the url tags o_o

Yea it's kinda annoying, i posted SS to get draw in fanatics section they are all gone.

Edit: fix my typo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Options
    On a second thought: I hope this is not PWEs way of dealing with the spam urls. Because it would suck for literally everything else and just make the forum unattractive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2012
    Options
    On a second thought: I hope this is not PWEs way of dealing with the spam urls. Because it would suck for literally everything else and just make the forum unattractive.

It's what i thought, they have 100 ways to fight the spam i hope they wont use that one or that gonna be annoying for everyone using the forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Options
    *summons awn to shed some light on this* ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yup, looks like someone has turned off the URL thingies. Checked an old thread of mine that had one of them fancy texts with a link behind it and it was in code rather than being a link.

This does seem like a counter-bot measure. After all, they did take away the imagine functionality when people started making posts that pretty much just consisted of a photo that had some punchline. Not that it has stopped some people from doing it.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Didn't they actually do that when people protested against the chat tags, using them as images on forums? lol But yea, GD is better off without images imo :x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• kawaiijen
    kawaiijen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This is a quote from frankie when I asked him about it.
    Disabled URL as a counter-spam tactic. Last thing is want is for anyone to actually click on the links that they're spamming.

Though I told him I think it's just as harmful as helpful and so we will see if he's going to change it back or what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the sig <3

GM Support * Contact Me * Have a Suggestion?
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That sucks, and what really sucks is he didn't feel the need to say anything. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That just makes the forums unattractive imo. i mean, really, who is going to take the time to copy paste urls...? I know I won't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That just makes the forums unattractive imo. i mean, really, who is going to take the time to copy paste urls...? I know I won't.

Yeah, it kinda kills a huge part of it. I mean, you can't even link guides for players with legit questions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Options
    You know, what's even funnier: The spam **** still stays. You could still follow the link. Just not as easily. Meh, **** decision is ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• crystalpink
    crystalpink Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The decision to turn off the URL function sucks :\

There are some better ways to counter the spammers than turning off the URL function b:sweat
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

Server: Abyss
    IGNs: Valentina (Magus), Amanita (Heretic), Avicenia (Slayer), Mirabillis (Champion), Solange (Berserker)
    Xfire username: crystalpink
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This change was indeed meant as a counter-spam measure. I realize that it makes the forum look less attractive, but if it saves even one player from downloading malware onto his machine, I feel that it's worth it it as a temporary measure.

Sorry for not announcing this when it happened; vBulletin changes don't always go through as expected, so when I made the change, looked at an old spam thread, and saw that the link was still active, I assumed that the vBulletin change didn't work.

It turns out that it just took a few minutes for it to actually go through and disable all of the links on the forum.

This is certainly not meant to be a permanent change; it's just a stop-gap measure until a longer-term solution is implemented, which should be in the next few days.

Once we have the new system in place, we'll turn the links back on, don't worry b:thanks
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This is certainly not meant to be a permanent change; it's just a stop-gap measure until a longer-term solution is implemented, which should be in the next few days.

Once we have the new system in place, we'll turn the links back on, don't worry b:thanks

I will hold you to your word...
    >_>
    b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • KingCrash - Dreamweaver
    KingCrash - Dreamweaver Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    >_>

Might want to do something different with your links for now Euthymius. lol
  • crystalpink
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Oh ok, good to know that this change is just a temporary one. b:thanks
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

IGNs: Valentina (Magus), Amanita (Heretic), Avicenia (Slayer), Mirabillis (Champion), Solange (Berserker)
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    >_>

Actually, the real agenda is to stop posters from posting....ponies!

Conspiracy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • crystalpink
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Conspiracy!
    After reading that, I feel the urge to post this image: http://i.imgur.com/2uiXY.jpg

b:chuckle
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Well, time to get out of here until this gets fixed, then. Cya in a few days (hopefully).

For those still willing to deal with this mess, Google up on ''Linkify''.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Options
    KawaiiJen wrote: »
    This is a quote from frankie when I asked him about it.

Though I told him I think it's just as harmful as helpful and so we will see if he's going to change it back or what.

Thx Jen for the fast answer. b:cute

I agree and people can't even show SS in the SS thread.
    This change was indeed meant as a counter-spam measure. I realize that it makes the forum look less attractive, but if it saves even one player from downloading malware onto his machine, I feel that it's worth it it as a temporary measure.

Sorry for not announcing this when it happened; vBulletin changes don't always go through as expected, so when I made the change, looked at an old spam thread, and saw that the link was still active, I assumed that the vBulletin change didn't work.

It turns out that it just took a few minutes for it to actually go through and disable all of the links on the forum.

Thank for answer Frankie at least i know it's ''normal''.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited September 2012
    Options

I was half afraid that it meant they were finally working on the update to the website that they keep talking bout coming and royally fubared something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Whew.. my Assassin video thread with all of its links is safe ;D
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Do that mean people can'T link pony anymore????? b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Options

Oh noes!
  • crystalpink
    edited September 2012
    Options

People can if they use the img tag instead of url tag, I think.
    I saw someone here last night could post a link using img tag. Not sure if the GM will also disable img linking, too, though b:chuckle
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )

edited September 2012
    Options
    Krisnda wrote: »
    Oh noes!

Your signature look weird now. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Let's see...
    mlfw2090-87516_-_animated_boop_fluttershy_rainbow_dash.gif

... ... ...
    mlfw639_131273707245.png

b:cry

It works, but hyperlinking is still better...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • crystalpink
    edited September 2012
    Options
    It works, but hyperlinking is still better...
    Yupper, coz we can cover up the link with whatever we want to write lol

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )

• BanMePls - Heavens Tear
    BanMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Why can't they just actually use their brains and c0mbat the spam pr0blem with s0mething m0re creative...0nly nice thing is I w0nt have t0 see the Br0ny fail links anym0re....Well kind 0f.