use or sell kowlin

Options
zcohen
zcohen Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Venomancer
so as a lvl 53 veno, i recently got a kowlin egg after finding 1 and having a high lvl friend tame

i have a glacier walker now, and i was wondering if i should sell or use the kowlin

and if i should sell, how much can i expect it 2 go for?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]my first self made siggy :>)
Post edited by zcohen on

Comments

• qz8
    qz8 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I would keep both. Glacials are better for tanking, kowlins are better damage dealers. As for selling, if the glacial walker is low level, it won't sell very high at all. After all, anyone can tame one and level it themselves. In conclusion, pets are good at different things and you should always have a tank pet and a dd pet on hand. Hope this helped =D
  • venobarbclaw
    venobarbclaw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    i think he was asking if he should sell or keep the kowlin, not the walker
    and if he should sell the kowlin, how much would it go for
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    qz8 wrote: »
    I would keep both. Glacials are better for tanking, kowlins are better damage dealers. As for selling, if the glacial walker is low level, it won't sell very high at all. After all, anyone can tame one and level it themselves. In conclusion, pets are good at different things and you should always have a tank pet and a dd pet on hand. Hope this helped =D

Glacial walkers are near the high end of damage dealers, and out-DD kowlins. The only place where kowlins really shine is as speed demons... they're the faster land pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The kowlin comes with a nice set of skills if I recall correctly. It has pierce, howl, flesh ream and bash. It has two debuffs and two attack skills. It could work well as a debuffer (might as well add threaten).

There are better DD pets out there so I wouldn't recommend the kowlin as a DD pet but it can be used as a debuffer or for pulling. As much as I love the kowlin, it doesn't have many uses as of now but I still kept mine and use it occasionally.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • birdconure00
    birdconure00 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Its your personal preference, but I think kowlins go for around 1 mill. I really love big cats so I chose to keep mine, plus they are really fast and are great for luring. Say the monster that you need to kill is in the middle of a mob and you don't want that argo, just use the kowlin for the lure technique, cause its really fast which is what you want in a lure pet.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The only place where kowlins really shine is as speed demons... they're the faster land pet.

Which means absolutely nothing to us. The pet is a waste of pet bag space to those who use pets for something other than hand loving.
    plus they are really fast and are great for luring.

Kowlin can't beat the speed or survivability of a ranged pet; so it sucks for luring. Luring is also almost a thing of the past, while ranged pets have more functionality than luring.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Technically you can lure with every pet, some do with a bear, other with a dog and some with the skill tame. No need a pet just to lure, all pets can do it.

Keep it if you want it and have space, but if you don't have space just sell it, for the price it depend on the server you are, on HL sometime i see it at around 500k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Technically there actually is an davantage to luring with a fast pet however. I can do Pole and Nob, as well as Wurlord, without my Tabby takin a single hit, even if I do have to turn skills off for the last one. The Shaodu cub is unreliable for these pulls as it depends on being able to take a few hits, not speed, for luring. Yes, I realize that from the perspective of someone used to a Walker's speed the Shaodu will seem a lot faster, but it's not actually on par with pets that could be considered good for luring because of their speed.

This doesn't mean a fast pet is a must and I'll readily admit its become something of a niche, but if you're already using the pet for other roles (attack/debuffing) then it certainly is an advantage. As some other posters have previously pointed out the Kowlin does not pair effectively with the Walker, however, because the later's dps output does provide good advantage.
  • Tigress_eye - Sanctuary
    Tigress_eye - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    If it helps at all, I kept my kowlin and leveled it to 100 to help with debuffing (pierce, howl). Even though I now use my dino as my debuff pet, the kowlin still worked really well (: was just a bit squishier hehe