Harshlands lag (and potentially all East coast server lag) is HORRIBLE

Options
Longknife - Harshlands
Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I've been playing this game for 2 years and typically average 200-500 ping.
Lately though, for the past 3 months or so? Lag has been HORRIBLE. Suddenly 500 is best-case scenario, the average is 750 and sometimes it's 1k+. As I type this, I just got out of a BH where the entire squad was enjoying 1600 ping.

Likewise, crashing and TW has become worse aswell. I used to crash when I'd teleport to Raging Tides or some other spots on occassion, but now it's a 100% surefire thing, without fail. I crash and get some half-chinese error message with a little street light picture. This happens in TW fairly often as well.

And in TW, I often hit points where EVERY skill effect is reduced to nothing but a white square below the caster. All skill effects are gone, but when someone's casting something, a white square appears below them. Likewise, fraps often refuses to record, bombing down to 9 frames per second at times.

This, to me, is incredibly odd, because I distinctly remember this problem occuring from April to May. In April I had zero problems, then in May, all of this became a huge issue. I quit for 3-4 months and come back, and it's gotten even worse. This CAN'T be on my end because every time I experience one of these issues, I ask others and they always report the exact same problems at the exact same time.

PWI, you've either done something to your server or to your coding that needs definite fixing, otherwise Harshlands will soon become unplayable for many people.

Anyone else been experiencing things like this?
I <3 AGOREY
Post edited by Longknife - Harshlands on

Comments

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Fireworks?

No lag at all here. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Lately though, for the past 3 months or so? Lag has been HORRIBLE. Suddenly 500 is best-case scenario, the average is 750 and sometimes it's 1k+. As I type this, I just got out of a BH where the entire squad was enjoying 1600 ping.
    I actually had something similar to this happen to me recently. After a lot of frustration and troubleshooting, the issue turned out to be a bad modem.
    Likewise, crashing and TW has become worse aswell. I used to crash when I'd teleport to Raging Tides or some other spots on occassion, but now it's a 100% surefire thing, without fail. I crash and get some half-chinese error message with a little street light picture. This happens in TW fairly often as well.
    This is a common issue on some systems. Usually decreasing the distance slider will fix this.
    And in TW, I often hit points where EVERY skill effect is reduced to nothing but a white square below the caster. All skill effects are gone, but when someone's casting something, a white square appears below them. Likewise, fraps often refuses to record, bombing down to 9 frames per second at times.
    Definitely something on your system here. It's having trouble displaying the skill effects. Common causes are corrupt client files, bad hard drive sectors, interfering anti virus software, or Windows "updating" your video card driver.
    It could also be cause by having limited system resources available. if you want to post more information, I'd be happy to look into it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I actually had something similar to this happen to me recently. After a lot of frustration and troubleshooting, the issue turned out to be a bad modem.

This is a common issue on some systems. Usually decreasing the distance slider will fix this.

Definitely something on your system here. It's having trouble displaying the skill effects. Common causes are corrupt client files, bad hard drive sectors, interfering anti virus software, or Windows "updating" your video card driver.
    It could also be cause by having limited system resources available. if you want to post more information, I'd be happy to look into it.

The weird thing about it is though....

I said this happened between April and May.
    I didn't use my computer during that time because I was on vacation. I used it for a TW in May, it ran fine, I come back and the entire PWI client is hella laggier.

I also play games like Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim on occassion and they've not become worse or anything. It's just PWI.

How can I check for corrupt client files, bad hard drive sectors etc?
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Scandisk in Windows will check for bad sectors, or there is other software out there. I personally prefer the Paragon tools or Iobit.

For checking the files, first ensure that the client directory is added to the exception/exclusion list for your antivirus software. (It's pretty simple to do, if you're not sure, check the support section of your software's website.) Then disable the active scan and run verify a couple of times.

If it's been since May, and you're running Vista or 7, I would recommend running Windows updates. There's been a few good ones in that time span that can improve system performance and security. You should also get the latest driver for your video card from the manufacturer.

Lastly, remember to reboot often while doing all of these things. Particularly updates and on the verify. (Patcher has a memory leak, and it's always best to give it a good reboot after updating your system.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options

This, to me, is incredibly odd, because I distinctly remember this problem occuring from April to May. In April I had zero problems, then in May, all of this became a huge issue. I quit for 3-4 months and come back, and it's gotten even worse. This CAN'T be on my end because every time I experience one of these issues, I ask others and they always report the exact same problems at the exact same time.

PWI, you've either done something to your server or to your coding that needs definite fixing, otherwise Harshlands will soon become unplayable for many people.

Game runs fine on all my comps so likely a problem on your end.

Do you use integrated graphics or a separate video card?

It may simply be a case of your video card dying, or dust accumulating in your computer and causing it to run hot, especially if you've just left it there to rot for months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Scandisk in Windows will check for bad sectors, or there is other software out there. I personally prefer the Paragon tools or Iobit.

For checking the files, first ensure that the client directory is added to the exception/exclusion list for your antivirus software. (It's pretty simple to do, if you're not sure, check the support section of your software's website.) Then disable the active scan and run verify a couple of times.

If it's been since May, and you're running Vista or 7, I would recommend running Windows updates. There's been a few good ones in that time span that can improve system performance and security. You should also get the latest driver for your video card from the manufacturer.

Lastly, remember to reboot often while doing all of these things. Particularly updates and on the verify. (Patcher has a memory leak, and it's always best to give it a good reboot after updating your system.)

Here's something peculiar I just noticed.

Open up the PWI patcher, then hit the "Graphics" tab. You get a Systems Settings tab that shows your computers specs, then you can hit Optimize and you get recommended settings for your PC. I get recommended to max settings.

However, for RAM? On that tab it says "RAM: 0 MB" for my system settings.

wat

Does it say that for everyone or does PWI think I has no RAM for some reason. Cuz I'm PRETTY SURE I got more RAM than 0.

Should also clarify I don't CONSTANTLY get that thing with the white squares. That only happens on occassion in TW. And no, my computer hasn't been rotting since May. I was gone a month of April, then came back and viola: PWI problems.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    We broke the server with firework. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    We broke the server with firework. b:shocked

I'm really the only one with these problems?

I assumed it was server-side, what with Mayhem reporting me for "hacking" by spamming fireworks in TW and supposedly lagging and crashing them. I figured the server was just worse for some reason and while the rest of us thought "oh yeah server's bad" Mayhem was dumb and blamed our squad's firework habits as a scapegoat for their losses.

It's really only me?
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I got recommended for max on almost everything... Except distance and water. And RAM was 2811.
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
  • SpiritDivine - Sanctuary
    SpiritDivine - Sanctuary Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Have you tried Verifying or even reinstalling the game? I would first try doing Verify and if that doesnt work reinstall the game.

If it is not that then i would imagine it got something to do with your internet connection. Maybe you switched operator or started to use wireless. As far as i know Fallout and Skyrim doesnt use the internet to play.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I'm really the only one with these problems?

I assumed it was server-side, what with Mayhem reporting me for "hacking" by spamming fireworks in TW and supposedly lagging and crashing them. I figured the server was just worse for some reason and while the rest of us thought "oh yeah server's bad" Mayhem was dumb and blamed our squad's firework habits as a scapegoat for their losses.

It's really only me?

During TW when we are all in their base at 150 persons ye i lag a bit, but the rest of the time i don't have a high ping, but many people complain about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I got recommended for max on almost everything... Except distance and water. And RAM was 2811.

TF does PWI say my RAM is 0....
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Paulrogers - Harshlands
    Paulrogers - Harshlands Posts: 653 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options

Allocate more memory to PWI then? I know for minecraft its standard is 512 MB on every computer which in alot of cases is way too low, could be similar. But I'm not gona pretend like I know wtf im talking about, so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options

My patcher also says I have 0 MB ram, when I have 6 GB. Have no probs w/ clients though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I have had trouble whit the game also. at 1st I tough it was the modem speed. But Then came out Nvidia new driver, and the game just got horrible.

If you have updated your video driver recently I would try to go back to old drivers. I have a 560ti from nvidia, and I had to go back to 260 family driver. To get rid of the problems.

I recently installed the 301.42 back cause I do play other games, and PWI became very bad. it has a lot more fps drop that it used to have specially when new players get in the visual range. I also have the crash bug in tide city, it can happen when teleporting or flying in the city. Mostly I drop the game video setting to the middle indicator. And the game runs somewhat better. It don't crash whit lower visual setting.

To get less frame drop I had to tweak the game whit individual setting in the driver.

But basically I found that choosing witch part will compute PhysX and a few aliasing effect removed from the game and force on the vid card help a bit.

I think PWI is getting left behind on some new implemented technology like the adaptive V-sync.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I have had trouble whit the game also. at 1st I tough it was the modem speed. But Then came out Nvidia new driver, and the game just got horrible.

If you have updated your video driver recently I would try to go back to old drivers. I have a 560ti from nvidia, and I had to go back to 260 family driver. To get rid of the problems.

I recently installed the 301.42 back cause I do play other games, and PWI became very bad. it has a lot more fps drop that it used to have specially when new players get in the visual range. I also have the crash bug in tide city, it can happen when teleporting or flying in the city. Mostly I drop the game video setting to the middle indicator. And the game runs somewhat better. It don't crash whit lower visual setting.

To get less frame drop I had to tweak the game whit individual setting in the driver.

But basically I found that choosing witch part will compute PhysX and a few aliasing effect removed from the game and force on the vid card help a bit.

I think PWI is getting left behind on some new implemented technology like the adaptive V-sync.

Funny you should say that, I too have an Nvidia card....
    But this wouldn't cause the lag, would it?
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Fireworks?

this, i constantly spam fireworks and have been playing for a couple-a years with 700 ping all day erry day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Funny you should say that, I too have an Nvidia card....
    But this wouldn't cause the lag, would it?

Depends on which card you have and which driver for it you're using.

I would be curious as to what settings TCHP made to improve it, because in my experience, changing any of those settings is more likely to have a negative impact on PWI thatn a positive one.

Also, the client is almost 10 years old now. It doesn't even support multi-core processors, much less any system that has more than 4GB of ram. That's usually why you get 0 RAM showing, or why it doesn't show your processor, it just doesn't have a clue about what you've got.

On a final note, letting the game configure your settings, with 90% of games out there, is just a mistake. It will either choose something that is basic and less than your system can reasonably handle, or it will go the opposite direction and automatically choose more than your system is capable of doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This is very annoying.

I did some tests to try and pinpoint the cause of the problem. Logged the German server (2 hours from me) and had lag similar to Harshlands. Logged Lost City and had 6k+ ping. Logged another MMO entirely and I have flawless 100-200 ping with FPS in the 800s.

Deleted everything PWI related off my computer and reinstalled completely new, did NOT fix the problem.

EVERYTHING runs fine. My internet connection is fine, other games run fine, it's literally -just- PWI's client. Something about the client and my computer just absolutely hate each other.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Or how to fix the issue? Cause yeah, if no, I'll have to quit. Waiting 4 seconds for Psy will to actually cast when fighting an r9 seeker just isn't practical.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    with FPS in the 800s.

Are you a wizard?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Are you a wizard?

I guess so. Saw that and was like "bull**** computer u jus tryin to make me appreciate u more cuz u kno I can't see the difference."

But yeah, I'm rather sure this is client-related (checked my connection, my comp, checked all servers, compared to a similar standard of MMO graphics), and I'm not the only one experiencing these lag spikes. I also don't think it's "just cuz x2" cause as I said, this has been getting worse little by little since May and I've had x2 lag before; x2 lag has never been 4k ping for me. An extra 100-200 ping is expected, an extra 1000 is a problem. We sure there's not something wrong with the client?

I'd hate to have to stop playing just because the damned client doesn't play well with some comps/my comp/all comps.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I've had similar graphic issues also. Predominantly in TW in one base or the other. Graphics will turn to white squares, next thing I know, lots of people on both sides start getting bug reports.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xangelxbritt - Harshlands
    Xangelxbritt - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    maybe ur firework useage has killed ur graphics card .... one can only hope b:chuckle

dont complain its only karma...QQmore!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:cute~Britt~b:cute
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I rarely experience lag even in W Arch and other than one or two very short lived (1 to 2 secs) spikes, I have been lag free and well in the green.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Options

That's your computer, not PW's fault. I always have around 250 ping, I never crash anywhere, and I can record TW on fraps. You should not only reistall pw, but also check all your system. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to back up all your personal files and reformat.

Btw: This is my recording of TW from last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBrpBJgSVY