Greetings from a newb archer.

Nyarian - Heavens Tear
Nyarian - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Archer
Good evening, since servers are down and I don't have much else to do, I decided I should seek some wisdom from my elders on the forums!

First off, I like bows.. but the only really good bow I can find is going to expire soon ( It's the Sharpness Tag bow ) Unfortunately the vendor bows don't really come anywhere near close to the damage, so I'm probably about to take a severe hit in damage, I also can't find any bows around my level no matter where I go that might be player sold b:surrender

Is the only real way to get a good bow is to grind out all of my blacksmithing? I don't mind the crafting, it's kinda drawn out, and hard to get materials sometimes (Cause people want an arm and a leg for mats, and I'm just a broke newbie b:surrender)

Is there any other ways I can procure bows? b:sad

Secondly! I was looking at the guide ( Right on this forum! ) and it told me that the best spread for my stats was 1 in strength, and 4 in Dex every level. I've been following this hoping to make things easier on myself, but I was curious if the armor I want to find should have int or constitution(Stamina? Whatever it is in this game q.q) on it? Or, should I be more focus on just increasing my damage to kill things faster?

Thirdly, is there a way to get nice armors like the bows? Or is it only crafting as well? Most of my armor is vendor, or random blues I've found b:surrender (Other then the things I got out of the stash :x Nice necklace, rings, and belt b:pleased)

Thank you in advance for your advice and tips!
Post edited by Nyarian - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    Aeroboi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    At level 30 your able to get rank 1 gear. this stuff is quite cheep and dose well for level 30, should last out untill 40ish.

go see the Commander-in-Chief for Rang 1 Armor and leggins, i thought this stuff came with a bow? guess im wrong.

Well for a bow your level your stuck with your longbow. there isnt another good Bow untill level 53. and not another untill 70.

however there is another option that is good, i understnad you like bows but its a really good wepon you should suss it out
    ☆Sinister Shooter, its a sling the mold for it
    Mold: Sinister Bow, is not a bow its a sling
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    At level 30 your able to get rank 1 gear. this stuff is quite cheep and dose well for level 30, should last out untill 40ish.

go see the Commander-in-Chief for Rang 1 Armor and leggins, i thought this stuff came with a bow? guess im wrong.

Well for a bow your level your stuck with your longbow. there isnt another good Bow untill level 53. and not another untill 70.

however there is another option that is good, i understnad you like bows but its a really good wepon you should suss it out
    ☆Sinister Shooter, its a sling the mold for it
    Mold: Sinister Bow, is not a bow its a sling

I don't quite have the reputation to hit rank one unfortunately, I reached level 30 Relatively quickly due to very strange fruits that were constantly given to me, I was level 25 before I realized I needed to quest for reputation, I think I have just over 100 Reputation, so I'm still grinding out quests for that b:surrender

I do prefer bows, but I am not adverse to any other weapon, I just think the bows look the best on my Archer ^_^

Also, do molds require a specific blacksmith level? Also, is there a place to get the mold? or is it just better to save my pennies and buy it from someone selling it?

Thanks ^_^
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    well ive not seen anyone selling the Sling in a catshop ever. but do try Auction house. normlay a few mades ones in there. should be cheep thanks to the lack of lowbie plays now days.

if you chose to make it youll need a blacksmith level, but im unable to tell you the level atm....

while trying to find the level i found ☆Lightcatcher, its a level 30 Xbow. i used to have one laying around cant remember what i did with it Mold: Lightcatcher
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    well ive not seen anyone selling the Sling in a catshop ever. but do try Auction house. normlay a few mades ones in there. should be cheep thanks to the lack of lowbie plays now days.

if you chose to make it youll need a blacksmith level, but im unable to tell you the level atm....

while trying to find the level i found ☆Lightcatcher, its a level 30 Xbow. i used to have one laying around cant remember what i did with it Mold: Lightcatcher

Thank you for the information ^_^ Currently I have my Blacksmith with maxed out 10/10 at level 2 since I had the materials from aimlessly wandering :o

Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to get my level up without spending too much ^_^

Is there any other advice you could give me? :o
  • Medziotojas - Momaganon
    Medziotojas - Momaganon Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't quite have the reputation to hit rank one unfortunately, I reached level 30 Relatively quickly due to very strange fruits that were constantly given to me, I was level 25 before I realized I needed to quest for reputation, I think I have just over 100 Reputation, so I'm still grinding out quests for that b:surrender

I do prefer bows, but I am not adverse to any other weapon, I just think the bows look the best on my Archer ^_^

Also, do molds require a specific blacksmith level? Also, is there a place to get the mold? or is it just better to save my pennies and buy it from someone selling it?

Thanks ^_^

Yeah, these fruits kinda ruins the beginning for new guys ;/
    Yes Molds do require specific blacksmith level, however you can try looking for NPC's called Divine. You can find them near General Summer and opposite to the south banker in Archosaur. These NPC's gives you quests daily, however you should be doing only purple ones, because as a reward you will get Divine order of the Shadow(?). And these items can be exchanged at Higher level Divine NPC's for weapons. Even if you don't get level 30 bow, you might still farm these Divine Orders for levels 40, 50 and so on.

P.S. In order to take quests from Divine NPC you will and item called Divine something (I am sorry I do not remember exactly). General Summer gives you one for free, however if you lose it or sell it another one will cost you 100k

P.S.S. Yes guides say 1str 4dex. But this goes for pure dex archers. However you can cap your strength to 146(Maximum fist/claw requirement at endgame) to use claw/fists. But it is advisable for only experienced players, which I assume you are not. So if you see archers DD'ing with fists or maybe tanking don't be very surprised.
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, these fruits kinda ruins the beginning for new guys ;/
    Yes Molds do require specific blacksmith level, however you can try looking for NPC's called Divine. You can find them near General Summer and opposite to the south banker in Archosaur. These NPC's gives you quests daily, however you should be doing only purple ones, because as a reward you will get Divine order of the Shadow(?). And these items can be exchanged at Higher level Divine NPC's for weapons. Even if you don't get level 30 bow, you might still farm these Divine Orders for levels 40, 50 and so on.

P.S. In order to take quests from Divine NPC you will and item called Divine something (I am sorry I do not remember exactly). General Summer gives you one for free, however if you lose it or sell it another one will cost you 100k

P.S.S. Yes guides say 1str 4dex. But this goes for pure dex archers. However you can cap your strength to 146(Maximum fist/claw requirement at endgame) to use claw/fists. But it is advisable for only experienced players, which I assume you are not. So if you see archers DD'ing with fists or maybe tanking don't be very surprised.

I think I know what your talking about actually! I got the divine orders of light though, I've already done four of these quests, I didn't know they were daily, I thought they popped up at random levels! I'll have to see if I can go back and pick up some more ^_^

Also, do you know a way to raise your reputation quickly? I've been doing about every quest I can lay my hands on, and I'm still nowhere near 300 b:surrender
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A lot of the newest content for the game is designed at high levels so those fruits have been added to get you there at a quick pace.

Molds drop only from dungeon bosses and youll need a squad to help you through those. Getting mold drops is pretty rare though and it will probably be cheaper to buy weapons already made for you. You can talk to the Auctioneer to find these weapons but you have to know the name of the weapon to properly filter it.

A somewhat more recent source of weapons is turning in Divine Honors of Light.
    You get these honors by doing Divine Contract quests from the Divind NPCs. You would need to do a bounty hunter quest first though and I'm not exactly sure how easy it is to find a squad at your level. You'll probably be joining those soon.

This PWDB link shows you what can be made in this way. They are basically the same weapons you get from molds except they cant be traded.
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/29716

Armor is kinda hard to come by until you hit level 70. Thats around the time people start putting more effort into their gear.

EDIT: I got ninja'd hardcore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    "Divine Honor of the Light" and "Divine Honor of the Void" can be traded for a wep, youll need 5 for the sinister shootor or 3 for the Lightcatcher, PWdatabase dosnt list a fee.

"Divine Emissary of Light" is the NPC youll need to check for the quests to get "Divine Honor of the Light" and "Divine Honor of the Void"

"Divine Order of the Light" is the item youll need to Active quests at the "Divine Emissary of Light"

and as was mentioned, you can get "Divine Order of the Light" from General Summer.

this way is porbly cheeper, but may take some time for the correct quest to show up. but the weps shouldnt be to expensive either. youll need to check what is the best method for you.

Pure Dex build will be fine with a decent wep untill 80/90, past there you may need to focus on your gear more, its not something you can change with states. other builds are okay but most will agree pure is better
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    A lot of the newest content for the game is designed at high levels so those fruits have been added to get you there at a quick pace.

Molds drop only from dungeon bosses and youll need a squad to help you through those. Getting mold drops is pretty rare though and it will probably be cheaper to buy weapons already made for you. You can talk to the Auctioneer to find these weapons but you have to know the name of the weapon to properly filter it.

A somewhat more recent source of weapons is turning in Divine Honors of Light.
    You get these honors by doing Divine Contract quests from the Divind NPCs. You would need to do a bounty hunter quest first though and I'm not exactly sure how easy it is to find a squad at your level. You'll probably be joining those soon.

This PWDB link shows you what can be made in this way. They are basically the same weapons you get from molds except they cant be traded.
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/29716

Armor is kinda hard to come by until you hit level 70. Thats around the time people start putting more effort into their gear.

EDIT: I got ninja'd hardcore.

It's okay, I appreciate the information reguardless b:pleased

As for the auctioneering, I tried to find weapons my level, I couldn't find a single one. (though I found about a dozen level 22 assassin shiny weapons b:cry)

Where does one aquire bounty hunter quests? I have seen the NPC's named "Bounty Hunter" but they never have quests or anything, are you talking about the divine contract things? If so I've done four of those and never gotten any form of currency, is it only certain one's that do it? :<

Also, I've really never been in squads before.. most of my things have been solo wandering, I was in a fraction that helped me for like one night, but I logged in the next day to having no fraction ( I don't know if I was removed or they disbanded or what b:cry I didn't do anything bad that I know of )
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    "Divine Honor of the Light" and "Divine Honor of the Void" can be traded for a wep, youll need 5 for the sinister shootor or 3 for the Lightcatcher, PWdatabase dosnt list a fee.

"Divine Emissary of Light" is the NPC youll need to check for the quests to get "Divine Honor of the Light" and "Divine Honor of the Void"

"Divine Order of the Light" is the item youll need to Active quests at the "Divine Emissary of Light"

and as was mentioned, you can get "Divine Order of the Light" from General Summer.

this way is porbly cheeper, but may take some time for the correct quest to show up. but the weps shouldnt be to expensive either. youll need to check what is the best method for you.

Pure Dex build will be fine with a decent wep untill 80/90, past there you may need to focus on your gear more, its not something you can change with states. other builds are okay but most will agree pure is better

So to get the currency, it IS a specific quest? It's not the blue one's I've been picking up from them? (Light blue.. not dark blue.. I don't know if there's a difference )

Also, define "not expensive" I've seen people say alot of things are not expensive that I think are pretty expensive :< (But that's mainly because I'm a newb and don't have alot of money, though selling materials I find out in the wilds to random kitty-cat shops does give me a fair amount of money b:pleased)
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Bounty hunter quest start at level 40. youll see poeple around there LFMM or LFS BHXX the 2 XX to be replaced with a nnumber. it will take a bit to get used to. but an easy way to look at it is like FB29. the quest will want you to kill the boss in FB29. but its bounty Hunter so they call it BH29
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Look for the Blure and Purple quests, these ones should give the item you seek. they also give more EXP and spirit. and sometimes coin aswell.

at level 100 the blue and purple quest are really rewarding, but it might not be exactly the asme at your level.

I remember getting the Siniter shooter for 600k. it will sound alot to you now. but its really not to expensive
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Is that the same as the Cave of the Vicious quest I have? I tried to go in there alone and got smoked, hard, after that I kinda just left it in my inventory, I tried to get a group for it, but most of the people I found were sitting around AFK in town, so I gave up and went to go quest some more, I still have it in my inventory, is that a really important quest to do? Or is it one of those "If you can get the group for it AT the level, go for it" kind of quests? :<
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Is that the same as the Cave of the Vicious quest I have? I tried to go in there alone and got smoked, hard, after that I kinda just left it in my inventory, I tried to get a group for it, but most of the people I found were sitting around AFK in town, so I gave up and went to go quest some more, I still have it in my inventory, is that a really important quest to do? Or is it one of those "If you can get the group for it AT the level, go for it" kind of quests? :<

That would be your FB19. completing that will give you some nice EXP Rep and a Quest reward Xbow for level 19. if i remember correctly you dont have to do it. most poeple you find would be able to solo it easy.
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    That would be your FB19. completing that will give you some nice EXP Rep and a Quest reward Xbow for level 19. if i remember correctly you dont have to do it. most poeple you find would be able to solo it easy.

Would it worth going back and doing it now? For the Crossbow?

Or would it be basically for the reputation at this point?

I don't mind either way, I need a good non-timed weapon, and reputation too b:pleased
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    the Xbow is good, i think its rated upto level 30, it would match your longbow. it would make do as a temp replacement. the Rep EXP and Spirit while nice isnt anything great. eveyrthing helps tho right
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Alright, assuming I still have my charms when I get back online, because I forgot how much time was left on them, they both have over 60,000 health and mana on them, do you think it'd be possible for me to solo my way through? Or should I get some help? I know I can probably take most of the normal mobs that only have like 7,000 health now, but I know the boss probably has a HECK of alot more health, and I don't know what kinda damage he would do b:surrender

What do you think? I would imagine if I tried hard enough I could find some help, but if I don't have to I'd like the experience ^_^;
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    i tanked(cleric healing me) it at level 40 as a noob and crappy gear, no charms.

while it might be possible for you to do it. its a big cave at level 19. id recormend getting help. it could take ya awhile. the boss will have alot more HP then 7k. its hard to say how much more it would hurt you. but i do ahve good news, the boss can be knocked back, you may even be able to stun it, if you have these skills unlocked.

it may also help to get a genie the yellow ones called zeal. a skill it starts with earthflame can be used to lure the mobs, so you can solo the mobs in a safer aera. make use of your knockback stun and winged shell, if you chose to solo it
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    i tanked(cleric healing me) it at level 40 as a noob and crappy gear, no charms.

while it might be possible for you to do it. its a big cave at level 19. id recormend getting help. it could take ya awhile. the boss will have alot more HP then 7k. its hard to say how much more it would hurt you. but i do ahve good news, the boss can be knocked back, you may even be able to stun it, if you have these skills unlocked.

it may also help to get a genie the yellow ones called zeal. a skill it starts with earthflame can be used to lure the mobs, so you can solo the mobs in a safer aera. make use of your knockback stun and winged shell, if you chose to solo it

Alrighty Thank you ^_^

I'll see what I can do, if I'm feeling kinda sketchy I'll just bring a lot of high level potions and maybe someone to help make the fight faster ^_^
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Just a note, I'll still be looking at this thread here and there incase someone wants to drop an extra peice of advice! Advice is good ^_^ b:victory
  • Denaini - Sanctuary
    Denaini - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I recommend getting the 300 reputation required for Rank 1. The armor (not the belt though) is good enough up to level 50 or so. If you do not want to cash shop, forget about Rank 2 and higher - you simply wouldn't reach the reputation for each while in the corresponding level range. For 50-70, white (NPC) armor will be sufficient. However, there are a few rather cheap gold ('legendary') armors on the way. Those are really good. Check pwdatabase and the Auction House (case sensitive when searching !) for them.
    Keep in mind though that as long as you have a decent weapon, you don't need the best armor. Archers can kill most monsters before they get into attack range.

Weapons: if you're going to restrict yourself to one weapon type, things might get difficult at times, but it definitely isn't an impossible thing to do. Especially if you pick bows. Here's a small selection of bows for low levels:

22: Moonlight Bow (gold) - pretty rare and usually expensive. The Divine Emissary version is very hard or impossible to get until significantly higer levels, unless your char is an alt.
    42: Ornamented Bow (white/purple) - A 2-star version of this bow is required for the blacksmith crafting quest. Thus there are usually lots of 1-star or 3-stars for sale in the AH.
    45: Bow of the Goddess (blue) - a decent quest reward for killing the Adalwolf Elder (You'll need help for that. The quest is called 'The Believer')
    50: General Summer's Longbow (purple) - a timed reward from the supply stash. Very good but not worth the Perfect Hammer that is required to open the level 50 supply chest.
    53: The Penetrator (gold) - very good bow, but somewhat rare, and expensive. You might be able to get it for free via the Divine Emissaries though.
    70: Unicorn (green) - extremely cheap, extremely good. There is no reason not to get this one. It will also remain effective for many levels to come.

To cover the level gaps, you can always try to make/buy standard (white/purple) bows. Depending on which bows you get, it might not be necessary, though. Alternatively, you can use slings or crossbows if you don't mind them too much.
  • Niteshadows - Harshlands
    Niteshadows - Harshlands Posts: 583 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well if you're new, welcome to PWI. The game that is dead, but still very much alive.
    Do you hate me? Good, that makes for an adequate conversation starter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ohh ya the low level Divine Contracts dont require you to do Bounty Hunter first. That doesnt start until the higher level ones, nevermind about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Honestly a Sinister Shooter (level 42) is probably a better option than most of the lower level bows. I know it's not a bow, but you can get it via Divine Orders and I have seen them (on DW anyway) in the auction house for fairly cheap.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was almost purely slingshot until I got a heaven shatter at level 95. I found it was far better than bows or crossbows for pve. At low levels, I was lucky enough to get a 3 star bird shot with -int. It even killed mobs faster than my moonlight bow. Then I just kept going for better sling shots as I leveled. It really made questing and killing mobs easier. Once I got wind and clouds I liked it so much I +5 it. I was out dpsings other archers with it until in my 90s when I got a heaven shatter.

This is coming from someone who focused on completing quests and played solo often, which was fairly common once upon a time. I am sure in other circumstances different weapons would be better than a slingshot.
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Well thank you all for your insightful posts ^_^

I've actually recently hit level 38, I have my Rank 1 gear, and I have a nice Crossbow from the quest from the Ferocious Cave.

Working on making as much money as I can currently so I can afford the nicer things!

Looking forward to hitting level 42 and hunting for the new weapon b:pleased

Though a question, your saying it requires a golden hammer to open the level 50 Supply stash? That's a minor bit upsetting, will I have a way to open the supply stash after level 50 without the hammer? Or is it kinda like a bottle-neck buy from the Cash shop or don't continue from this point?

Another question~ I just got another purple quest, I'm not sure if it's a group quest or not, it says it's at the end of the secret passage, but I was curious if that's a dungeon or not before I try to run in there by myself? I still remember what happened last time I tried to solo a purple mission b:surrender

Oh, and where can I get gems to fit into my level 4 items? In the big Archon city ( The spelling always escapes me, it just feels foreign to me q.q ) I can find gems to buy that are minimum required level 5 items, but nothing for level 4 :< (Thanks in advance if you can help :o )
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Though a question, your saying it requires a golden hammer to open the level 50 Supply stash?

Don't even worry about the chest past that level. Rewards are lame and not worth the cost of the hammer when you can just buy better things with coin cheaper than the hammer costs.
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    Don't even worry about the chest past that level. Rewards are lame and not worth the cost of the hammer when you can just buy better things with coin cheaper than the hammer costs.

So, what should I do with the chest? Just get rid of it and save myself an inventory spot :O
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, what should I do with the chest? Just get rid of it and save myself an inventory spot :O

It's what I did. I kept it till level 50, then NPCed it. b:shutup
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Nyarian - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2012
    It's what I did. I kept it till level 50, then NPCed it. b:shutup

Okie dokie ^~^

Still gonna be watching this thread for more information! Just hit level 40 Rwar :V