Is kiting in duels really cheating?

uncleblademaster
uncleblademaster Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Archer
I use an 80 Archer. I kite Seekers/Barbs and beat them and block/kite Sins and beat them. Also BM's. But I keep being told that I'm cheating. Am I cheating or am I doing it right? :P If I am cheating how am I suppose to be dealing with these classes?

Thanks people :) just wanted to clarify because I was being told i'm cheating so frequently I needed direct opinions about it. Lol
Post edited by uncleblademaster on

Comments

• shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Reminds me of one time this sin sent my archer a duel request. He only had .5 free flyer and I had 3.3 wings so I just kept flying in circles and he couldn't catch me. He would use telestun but then I would use genie skills and anti stuns. He got so pissed off. I eventually froze him in the air and beat him, but I thought it was funny as hell to see him raging at me for flying in circles and using my genie in a duel.
  • Eariala - Sanctuary
    Eariala - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    most people I know regards using potions in a duel as cheating...
    Kiting, healing or buffing are just class abilities and or skills

If they want more restrictions on what is allowed, they have to ask your consent before the duel.

and if you are not allowed to kite, then they should for example be not allowed to use fists or daggers

(most only nag about stuff like this, because you make it too difficult to "easy win" and show that they are not a fail)
  • Dylena - Raging Tide
    Dylena - Raging Tide Posts: 1,416 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes, when you duel you're not allowed to move or use any kind of surviving technique and if you're REALLY dueling, take off all gears and use wep only.

Remember, dealing 50% less damage shows that you got balls of steel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ubique - Raging Tide
    Ubique - Raging Tide Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The only rules in a duel are the ones you set out beforehand, if someone sends a random duel request lookin to earn themselves some epeen points or lacks the foresight to try and impose their duelling rules on you before sending a request IMO anything goes.......

as for kiting........it what ranged classes especially archers do as we have a dmg reduction at close range, just laugh at them.

Moe posted first QQ........stop trollin XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I am prepared to meet my maker, whether or not my maker is prepared to meet me is a different question."
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You have a damage decrease at close range why the hell wouldn't you kite?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All classes OP listed 99% of the time have low mdef so you can use metal skills without suffering the half damage penalty >_>

Real archers stand there and take it like a baus while they kill their targets!
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Rules of any kind are lame. The only thing wrong with kiting is that your opponent doesn't know how to deal with it and QQ's.
    Is a BM standing there and keeping you stun locked cheating? Is a veno purging all yer buffs off cheating? Cleric healing themselves or putting you to sleep cheating?
    This game is terrible for QQing over nonsense like this - people "not being ready" or crying "cheating coz IDK how to deal with your class/skills".
    A fight is a fight and you use whatever means to win.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If something makes you lose, you call it cheating.
    Simple as that
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Geshwur - Raging Tide
    Geshwur - Raging Tide Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Kite all you want, and QQ and call them a cheater if they stun you, whether they win or still lose. =D

QQ and call them a cheater if they use a genie.

APS? Cheaters!

Clerics? They heal, sleep AND immobilize. CHEATERS!!!

Venos **** your buffs. Such cheaters ._.

Barbs have HP. They cheat.

Kiting properly at least shows you know what you're doing and they're just jelly. b:laugh
    Current Gears
    pwcalc.com/90f636550cbd5beb
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Kite all you want, they're just jelly.

/Thread.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I once fought a barb who raged at me for using IH and plume shell in a duel, because it allowed me to win. He claimed that healing of any kind (not just pots, genies which we had already agreed on) was cheating, as was using a shield.

He challenged me again and I kited him and won again. He claimed I was cheating because it wasn't fair that he couldn't use his skills. Apparently sleeping him and running away and killing him before he got to me was just so unfair.

So we dueled again and this time I tried to use any attack skills but he kept interuptting me and then won. I pointed out that if I couldn't use any skills that he couldn't stop me from using my skills. His reply, "that's my classes natural ability, so it's fair." At this point, I was done with him.

People like that will come up with all kinds of things you can't use against them because it's so unfair. But the same thing will not apply to them. They just want an easy win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • /mara - Raging Tide
    /mara - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a question to add to this thread, I use a genie on my sin when pking. Is that cheating as well? lol. because apparently people act like its the end of the world if you use genie skills >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a question to add to this thread, I use a genie on my sin when pking. Is that cheating as well? lol. because apparently people act like its the end of the world if you use genie skills >.>

Depending on your server there may be certain "unofficial but universally accepted rules" apply for duels.

Apothocary / Genies / Triple sparking and things of that nature are "forbidden" unless otherwise stated. Though some disregard these and do w/e they want so. /shrug
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If someone argues with you about the rules of dueling, challenge that individual to honorable combat. Winner dictates who is correct.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't take duels seriously, but I'd say no, you're not cheating.

Duel is more or less "safe" PvP without charms, so all is fair game.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Everyone must wear lvl 1 armour and weapon and only use auto attack, who ever wins is the better player. Only exception is r9 barbs +12 armour, and some good hp but low attacking axe b:chuckle, charmed b:dirty. *Come back 2 hours later* b:shutup b:surrender.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Depending on your server there may be certain "unofficial but universally accepted rules" apply for duels.

Apothocary / Genies / Triple sparking and things of that nature are "forbidden" unless otherwise stated. Though some disregard these and do w/e they want so. /shrug

I always wonder when the triple spark (or sparking in general) sneaked in...

All those unstated rules are why I never accept random duel requests. Personally, I don't put restrictions on duels besides w/e is stated before start. I don't use pots/apos, but if someone is willing to spend that on a duel, he deserves the advantage of it b:chuckle Genies have become such a part of the game, I don't see why not to use them. I only use them when it was stated before start though. Not worth it to waste chi-stones on a duel b:laugh

I was very surprised finding out the anti-kite "rule". I did some quest in squad with a random guy on my wiz at low lvls, and the guy (sin) wanted to try a duel. Ofc, I started the duel at a reasonable distance (like I always do as melee too) then kited, used distance shrink and such. He also told me I was cheating, that on a duel both persons have to stand on top of each other at melee range and that they shouldn't run. When I asked how that would make sense for ranged characters, especially in a case of 2 archers, he just said "wizards are not supposed to beat sins, don't be a bad loser" b:laugh
  • Niteshadows - Harshlands
    Niteshadows - Harshlands Posts: 583 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sins shall be banished from this thread. for kiting is just playing, "TAG! I teleported!"
    Do you hate me? Good, that makes for an adequate conversation starter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All those unstated rules are why I never accept random duel requests. Personally, I don't put restrictions on duels besides w/e is stated before start. I don't use pots/apos, but if someone is willing to spend that on a duel, he deserves the advantage of it b:chuckle Genies have become such a part of the game, I don't see why not to use them. I only use them when it was stated before start though. Not worth it to waste chi-stones on a duel b:laugh

I don't like the PvP in PWI in general, it's far too much about cooldowns of various items and your gear. So, when I duel, generally I prefer no genie, no heals, no stealth, no apos. I have a few reasons for each. The genie bit is mostly about Holy Path and Occult Ice: Holy Path is just ridiculous if you're facing ranged vs melee and Occult Ice is one of the most complained-about genie skills in the game. No heals because if you allowed those, it'd just turn into a kiting fest when you're close to dying. And if you allowed healing, you'd start getting "If only my charm worked! from people. No stealth because people just can't seem to use it without being ****tards about it. No apos mostly because of IG.

Of course, a ruleset like that tends to favor sins a lot, so depending on who I'm dueling with, I might make alterations, like allowing using chi replenishing genie skills or antistuns.
    I was very surprised finding out the anti-kite "rule". I did some quest in squad with a random guy on my wiz at low lvls, and the guy (sin) wanted to try a duel. Ofc, I started the duel at a reasonable distance (like I always do as melee too) then kited, used distance shrink and such. He also told me I was cheating, that on a duel both persons have to stand on top of each other at melee range and that they shouldn't run. When I asked how that would make sense for ranged characters, especially in a case of 2 archers, he just said "wizards are not supposed to beat sins, don't be a bad loser" b:laugh

Well that certainly is funny, especially when you consider that archers get a damage penalty at melee range. And that mystics have a knockback that works in PvP.

At least in PWI, archers are reasonably limited by their range. In another game I played, the best attack an archer has is a homing attack and there is no real range limit: As long as the arrow enters your screen, it'll come right at you. The result is that the archers in that game basically start from a ridiculous distance, such that you can barely see them on your map and keep moving away from you. Oh and did I mention that all the arrows will have a knockback on hit? Now that would make kiting ridiculous.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Chimer - Lost City
    Chimer - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I once fought a barb who... -snip-

I had a similar experience dueling a certain barb. The first match he QQed that I healed. So for the second I didn't heal a bit, just used plume shell... For which he raged at me for using "PK pots" in a duel. ._. After explaining to him what plume shell was, I offered to duel him again using no heals and no shell. Kited him with sleep and freeze, he only hit me once.

At this point he was furious, and demanded that I not heal, shell, kite, sleep, anything, just stand there and fight melee. Willing to humor him, I agreed one more time.

During the countdown, he invokes.

Even funnier was the fact that he outgeared me by a decent bit. He had very nice refines, though his HP was still less than impressive... Silly claw barb I suppose
  • Daemon_Imp - Lost City
    Daemon_Imp - Lost City Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ehehe usually for those ppl who do that, I go full survivability mode and just try to last as long as possible. ofc I might throw in a cc skill once in a while if needed but not enough for being a threat, and then I kite just out of range trololol