Any more up to date assassin guides out there?

2»

Comments

• Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Really now? I find your syntax and grammar to be among the finest in the forums.

Well, that's true.

However writing mathematical formulae, especially ones that involve a lot of parentheses and fractions, just doesn't work without proper syntax, like that of LaTeX.

And that's exactly why I sent a PM to mods to ask about stickies for threads that have links to outside file hosting, such as Google Docs.

This is enough of a mess as it is, so I wouldn't even begin to try to write that in the format that has to be used on these forums. Of course, even if I get the green light for posting that, I'll have to do some cleanup on it first. Including things like fixing the ToC (missing 5.4 because I forgot to refresh twice), shortening some of the formulae (there's plenty of copy-paste with the differing effect durations) and fixing a few awkward tidbits (5.4 doesn't work if EP has a duration that is more than 8 seconds)
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • StellaNova - Raging Tide
    StellaNova - Raging Tide Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    heeh maybe have necro'ed an old thread, but it seems to me that ppl still have some opinions they wan't to share, like Olbazes link wich I think is well written.

Yeah, been looking in the guide posted by Raul... so it's still good or has some of the updates after the post date changed something?
    Miss my Avatar b:sad

Starfall Marshall b:victory
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    heeh maybe have necro'ed an old thread, but it seems to me that ppl still have some opinions they wan't to share, like Olbazes link wich I think is well written.

Yeah, been looking in the guide posted by Raul... so it's still good or has some of the updates after the post date changed something?
    Useless skills have been added, more gear has been added, and people more people are starting to realize that APS isn't everything. Other than that, nothing has changed.
    I don't understand why people look at the post date of a class guide and call it out-of-date just because it's old. Technology and other things in the real world may change that fast, but the basics of a class in an MMO don't.

Btw, does anyone know what happened to that assassin guide collaboration that someone, I think Skai, suggested like a year ago? I don't believe anything ever became of that, sadly.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure D:

If I ever find time, I could make one.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Woot ^^ Would be fun to pitch in to make another guide. Not like there's anything better to do here >_>
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • StellaNova - Raging Tide
    StellaNova - Raging Tide Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Skai@

Time is not a thing you find, it's something you take for the stuff you want to do :)

anyways looking through the guide you guys refer to, I can see that I havn't messed my low lvl Sin up :)

tho we may dissagree a bit on builds, as i've been doing 3 dex 1str 1 vit until now, to get a bit more hp so i don't have to call friends for help too often xD
    Miss my Avatar b:sad

Starfall Marshall b:victory
  • Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide
    Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    (8 x 1 + Critical% + Powerdash% x 1.2 + Attack Level) + (C - 8) x 1
    (1 + Critical% 1 + Attack Level )

Keliska - RT 70
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited August 2012
    (8 x 1 + Critical% + Powerdash% x 1.2 + Attack Level) + (C - 8) x 1
    (1 + Critical% 1 + Attack Level

... I hope you can now see exactly why I prefer to use LaTeX.

Hell I can't even read that and I'm pretty sure I'm the one who wrote that.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide
    Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Best placement that I could produce. I think it isn't horrible but, then again I was the one mentioning your work.
    Born to be an Assassin, raised as a Thief.

Keliska - RT 70
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited August 2012
    Best placement that I could produce. I think it isn't horrible but, then again I was the one mentioning your work.

Hell, if you produce a guide that's writable on these forums, you could pretty much copypaste that into LaTeX, add a few details such as sections and subsections and you'd have a much better overall appearance.
  • Tsyren - Archosaur
    Tsyren - Archosaur Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a pretty good PK guide somewhere I wrote up for my faction.

Eleven pages long for a sin. I know. But it has a lot of useful information (imo) for the endgame pker.

If anyone wants to go through it... post here, I'm too lazy to check messages. <<
    The sentence below is true.
    The sentence above is false.
  • blushtomarket
    blushtomarket Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is my first forum post ever (hi!). I've been questing/BHing through the lvls - no power leveling - and only do PVE. Currently level 75.

Since people have been mentioning it, I used Throatcut extensively throughout my 50s and 60s on mobs that poison or drain mana (Shrunchkins Warlocks, etc.) or have annoying magic attacks. (Aerox Augurers around Tusk Town come to mind.)

Tackling Slash (so mob won't run after being silenced) > Throatcut > Normal Attack meant most of the time I could kill the mob without getting poisoned, or before it could get off a magic attack.

Saved me so much by preventing the various DOT effects. I realize later it may be less useful, but goodness it helped during those mid-levels.

And Olbaze, you made my geek heart jump when I opened your guide and recognized immediately it was done it LaTeX. :)
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    This is my first forum post ever (hi!). I've been questing/BHing through the lvls - no power leveling - and only do PVE. Currently level 75.

Since people have been mentioning it, I used Throatcut extensively throughout my 50s and 60s on mobs that poison or drain mana (Shrunchkins Warlocks, etc.) or have annoying magic attacks. (Aerox Augurers around Tusk Town come to mind.)

Tackling Slash (so mob won't run after being silenced) > Throatcut > Normal Attack meant most of the time I could kill the mob without getting poisoned, or before it could get off a magic attack.

Saved me so much by preventing the various DOT effects. I realize later it may be less useful, but goodness it helped during those mid-levels.

Well, you can use it like that, only costs 50 chi. Similarly you could use Shadow Jump -> Deep Sting -> Tackling Slash, achieves a similar effect at a cost of 20 chi.

But personally I never really used Tackling Slash or Throatcut until late on. Throatcut was actually the last skill I maxed on my sin.
    And Olbaze, you made my geek heart jump when I opened your guide and recognized immediately it was done it LaTeX. :)

After getting somewhat familiar with LaTeX, I pretty much declared PowerPoint and Word as useless.

But yes, since LaTeX offers proper math notation like fractions, products and parentheses of varying sizes, it's what I consider an ideal tool to display the kind of math I do in games.
  • blushtomarket
    edited September 2012
    Well, you can use it like that, only costs 50 chi. Similarly you could use Shadow Jump -> Deep Sting -> Tackling Slash, achieves a similar effect at a cost of 20 chi.

Only problem I ran into with that is Tackling Slash immediately wakes the mob up again, leaving it free to poison me. My goal was to avoid DOTs. I often did Shadow Jump, sometimes in stealth depending on the mob, so I'm right on them from the start.

By the time I was in my 50s & 60s, throwing in a RDS as needed to build chi was no big deal.
    After getting somewhat familiar with LaTeX, I pretty much declared PowerPoint and Word as useless.

Could not agree more. I taught it to myself several years ago, because I loved the philosophy behind it and hated Word. Never gone back.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited September 2012
    Only problem I ran into with that is Tackling Slash immediately wakes the mob up again, leaving it free to poison me. My goal was to avoid DOTs. I often did Shadow Jump, sometimes in stealth depending on the mob, so I'm right on them from the start.

Best anti-DoT thing you got is Tidal Protection. The DoTs count as debuffs, so Tidal Protection can evade them. That makes grinding on squishy wood mobs like Lethal Araneid Sharpfangs very easy: Tidal will take most of the damage and when it doesn't, you can purify with Demon/Sage spark. And the mobs die quickly. Not to mention that their melee hits are pathetic.
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can you post the guide please? I would like to learn how to pk as sin.
  • blushtomarket
    edited September 2012
    Best anti-DoT thing you got is Tidal Protection. The DoTs count as debuffs, so Tidal Protection can evade them.

True, but before 59, this was not an option, and I had to figure out something. :)
    That makes grinding on squishy wood mobs like Lethal Araneid Sharpfangs very easy: Tidal will take most of the damage and when it doesn't, you can purify with Demon/Sage spark. And the mobs die quickly. Not to mention that their melee hits are pathetic.

What you wrote here makes me wonder if I've misunderstood how Tidal Protection works. Based on the skill description, "chance to avoid negative status effects," I inferred that to mean it gave a chance to evade the effect entirely, meaning I wouldn't receive the status effect at all if it worked.

Does it instead "evade" the effect by absorbing the damage of the effect after it is received? Genuinely appreciate your insight.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What you wrote here makes me wonder if I've misunderstood how Tidal Protection works. Based on the skill description, "chance to avoid negative status effects," I inferred that to mean it gave a chance to evade the effect entirely, meaning I wouldn't receive the status effect at all if it worked.

Does it instead "evade" the effect by absorbing the damage of the effect after it is received? Genuinely appreciate your insight.

He meant that over time it would reduce the amount of damage you take since some of the times it will avoid the poison debuff completely. So statistically speaking, a level 10 Tidal protection would reduce the amount of damage you take by half, since it would reduce the amount of DoTs you get by by half.

You're right in how Tidal works. When it procs or "works", it completely avoids the status effect as if it missed you like a melee attack. DoTs would have no debuff icon, thus having no damage to you.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • blushtomarket
    edited September 2012
    Thanks, Skai.