Wizard light armor build question

Options
redzeus
redzeus Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Wizard
Say, for example, I'm a level 80 wizard going for a light armor build. Should I spend points so that I can wear light armor current to my level or should I sacrifice defense by wearing lower level armor, say level 40, while putting those points into vitality for extra hp?

Input would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Post edited by redzeus on

Comments

• sherrman
    sherrman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    If you are going for the light armor build then definetly try to wear the highest level armor. Light armor (for the most part) requires [armor level +4] = stat needed (STR & DEX). I have been playing a light armor wiz for quite awhile and having the few extra points of con have always made it too hard to equip the latest weapon available. Go for minimums for wearing the armor that you can for your level add something like low to mid 30's for vit/con and put the rest in magic. I have been meaning to restat a few points out of vit/con to put into magic. Sockets and refines will always give far more hps than spending points in con.
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Why would you put point into vit? :o LA refines + shards are good enough to reach decent HP
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    2008 necro.. lul
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    sherrman wrote: »
    If you are going for the light armor build then definetly try to wear the highest level armor. Light armor (for the most part) requires [armor level +4] = stat needed (STR & DEX). I have been playing a light armor wiz for quite awhile and having the few extra points of con have always made it too hard to equip the latest weapon available. Go for minimums for wearing the armor that you can for your level add something like low to mid 30's for vit/con and put the rest in magic. I have been meaning to restat a few points out of vit/con to put into magic. Sockets and refines will always give far more hps than spending points in con.

Maybe he is still lvl 80 waiting for an answerb:avoid
  • Azizsixer - Raging Tide
    Azizsixer - Raging Tide Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    +1 b4closed

Wonder if person even still plays o.O?
  • Daemon_Imp - Lost City
    Daemon_Imp - Lost City Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wonder if person even still plays o.O?

would be cool :D
    oh and in case he does... my avatar is from the tideborn race they implemented a while ago
    the other one is from the earthguard race they implemented not too long ago
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    La is bad D: go,aa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver
    Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    +1 to post count b4closed b:pleased
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    how does that eve happen
    i like potato
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    still not closed? seems mods never visit the wizard forum...b:chuckle
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    LA wiz offers no benefits over AA...but HA wiz gains a LOT of p. def while still being able to get some-what decent m. def...and huge refines.

And it's actually viable with nirv 3rd cast...i think.

BRB while I make a viable HA build in PW calc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Leviath_Imp - Lost City
    Leviath_Imp - Lost City Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    how much hp can you get with the HA?
    then go spark undine emberstorm?
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Heavy armor wiz build

Traditional AA wiz build

Net Result: I sharded all JoSD, but the results would probably be similar with Vit stones.

The HA wizard has double the survivability to phy. damage compared to the AA. Shockingly, the HA wizard ALSO has ~15% more survivability to elemental damage. This is probably because HA gives SO MUCH HP, that it more than makes up for the loss in elemental resistance.

The AA wizard gains ~4500 base magic attack. What is the difference for a BIDS on an equally geared opponent in pvp?

lets estimate:

against an unbuffed, undine striked 3rd cast Nirv barb with say, 56% element resist and 50 defense levels:

(4500 * (1.53 attk lvls) * (1.25 sage mastery) * (.44 resistance)) / 4 = 946 damage.

A BIDS from the HA wizard would do almost 1k less damage than a BIDS from AA. Is giving up 1k damage worth gaining double the survivability to phy, and 15% more to magic?

To put it in perspective, it is like critting an unbuffed barb for 24k vs 22k.

OTOH, gush and pyro damage is severely weakened. AA gushes could be hitting for 7k, while the HA only hits 6k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Leviath_Imp - Lost City
    Leviath_Imp - Lost City Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    but with hp boosting shards you deal more dmg using emberstorm :D
  • Kalishana - Archosaur
    Kalishana - Archosaur Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wait so... HA is even better than LA now?
    Wizard meta has changed quite a lot... hopefully Burnout's calculations are really flawed... im too lazy to check it though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Silvy for the signature b:laugh.
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    HA wiz too strong for mods.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Heavy armor wiz build

Traditional AA wiz build

Net Result: I sharded all JoSD, but the results would probably be similar with Vit stones.

The HA wizard has double the survivability to phy. damage compared to the AA. Shockingly, the HA wizard ALSO has ~15% more survivability to elemental damage. This is probably because HA gives SO MUCH HP, that it more than makes up for the loss in elemental resistance.

The AA wizard gains ~4500 base magic attack. What is the difference for a BIDS on an equally geared opponent in pvp?

lets estimate:

against an unbuffed, undine striked 3rd cast Nirv barb with say, 56% element resist and 50 defense levels:

(4500 * (1.53 attk lvls) * (1.25 sage mastery) * (.44 resistance)) / 4 = 946 damage.

A BIDS from the HA wizard would do almost 1k less damage than a BIDS from AA. Is giving up 1k damage worth gaining double the survivability to phy, and 15% more to magic?

To put it in perspective, it is like critting an unbuffed barb for 24k vs 22k.

OTOH, gush and pyro damage is severely weakened. AA gushes could be hitting for 7k, while the HA only hits 6k.

I think you have a valid point that HA is a viable build, but that isn't the AA build I'd be comparing it to. This would be my dream 3rd nv build (http://pwcalc.com/0b6a66bc14972d2c) and then ofc r9.. (http://pwcalc.com/d2414430b0e458ee). I fixed the buffs to be sage stone barrier, sage bm buff, sage hp buff, and lvl 10 ep buffs.. I think the buffs were not totally consistent on your links, so I just put in what I usually look at. Also keep in mind that the damage difference between the builds will vary largely on the skill used.. skills like gush or BT would see a much more noticeable change in damage as compared to a skill like BIDS.

edit: stupid changing wep shards between builds too.. just updated my calcs, and here is your HA build with the same buffs http://pwcalc.com/b4e43a95bdca8e79
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wait so... HA is even better than LA now?
    Wizard meta has changed quite a lot... hopefully Burnout's calculations are really flawed... im too lazy to check it though

HA has always been better than LA and AA...if you add both the m. resist and p. def values together, AA and LA are equal, but HA has a far larger value....

A wiz who goes light armor isn't actually gaining any real survivability. He's just trading, for example, -1000 m. def for +1000 p. def. HA by comparison, would be like -500 m. def for +1000 p. def. He then makes up for the slight loss in m. def through jewelry.

Also +12 HA N3 set has 4728 more hp than a +12 AA N3 set.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    HA has always been better than LA and AA...if you add both the m. resist and p. def values together, AA and LA are equal, but HA has a far larger value....

A wiz who goes light armor isn't actually gaining any real survivability. He's just trading, for example, -1000 m. def for +1000 p. def. HA by comparison, would be like -500 m. def for +1000 p. def. He then makes up for the slight loss in m. def through jewelry.

Also +12 HA N3 set has 4728 more hp than a +12 AA N3 set.

to be fair, HA is short quite a bit of magic attack as compared to AA.. choosing the build is always going to be a matter of trade offs.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited August 2012
    Options
    to be fair, HA is short quite a bit of magic attack as compared to AA.. choosing the build is always going to be a matter of trade offs.

The HA build loses 178 magic. That's 178% weapon attack. Single spark is 200% weapon attack. So it's almost losing a spark's worth of damage.

As for ults...well, a single sparked ult is really not that much more impressive than a normal ult. The nice thing is that people can go take their wiz, test damage under single spark with various spells, and decide whether that damage is worth giving up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The HA build loses 178 magic. That's 178% weapon attack. Single spark is 200% weapon attack. So it's almost losing a spark's worth of damage.

As for ults...well, a single sparked ult is really not that much more impressive than a normal ult. The nice thing is that people can go take their wiz, test damage under single spark with various spells, and decide whether that damage is worth giving up to be the absolute ultimate end-all be-all when it comes to killing sins :p

When I looked at the builds I posted, I calculated the "raw" damage from a few skills (I just used max weapon atk/magic attack for all for simplicity), didn't seem as insignificant as you make it seem.

I found pitfall to be the most noticeable of the skills I tried, with AA hitting about 140% that of HA.
    AA gush was ~127% of the damage of HA gush
    BT ~125%
    BIDS ~116%

I believe BIDS is the skill that is least affected by magic attack (percentage wise, and excluding emberstorm), and pitfall probably the most.. so for the builds I posted, the AA build is going to hit between 16% and 40% higher than the HA build.. whether that is worth the extra hp/pdef is up to you.

edit: due to below post, updating damage AA hits over HA (at least for these builds)
    pitfall ~148%
    gush ~132%
    BT ~129%
    BIDS ~119%
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

The PW calc thing is messed up and lets you equip some of the gears without having 252 str. I think this is more accurate:

http://pwcalc.com/aed3ade0334dbe7f
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The PW calc thing is messed up and lets you equip some of the gears without having 252 str. I think this is more accurate:

http://pwcalc.com/aed3ade0334dbe7f

interesting observation, and good to know :P I just noticed both r9 and the cloud stir rings had a +10 str add-on, I'm not familiar with recasting.. anyone wanna fill me in with cliff notes version? XD
  • shotwhointhewhat
    edited August 2012
    Options
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options

oh ty, kinda neat. One thing the guide didn't mention, is engraving a new skill similar to apothecary/blacksmith that you need to learn, or can you just do it? Also, I'm assuming you don't have to go in order (don't need to engrave level 1 to engrave level 2 etc), is this correct? Looks like I could try engrave 6 for ~600k a try.. that's not bad :D
  • shotwhointhewhat
    edited August 2012
    Options
    No problem. Anyone can just engrave the rings at any level. All that is needed is the mats. Each engraving will assign at least one random stat. Not sure if this applies to all levels, but some levels there is a chance of an engraving applying two random stats. Engraving can eat up a ton of coin vs what benefits it gives if you try to go for some rare double stat like double x2 def level engraving.
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    oh ty, kinda neat. One thing the guide didn't mention, is engraving a new skill similar to apothecary/blacksmith that you need to learn, or can you just do it? Also, I'm assuming you don't have to go in order (don't need to engrave level 1 to engrave level 2 etc), is this correct? Looks like I could try engrave 6 for ~600k a try.. that's not bad :D

Didn't you like quit for the 50th time? Still going to quit as soon as you burn off that "last" charm?b:chuckle

Go away or this necro thread may necro me. b:bye
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Didn't you like quit for the 50th time? Still going to quit as soon as you burn off that "last" charm?b:chuckle

Go away or this necro thread may necro me. b:bye

lululul forum parasite detected.
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    lululul forum parasite detected.

He hasn't posted here in like...since you were here last. I think he has a slight obsession with your body.
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
This discussion has been closed.