Netflix free trial a con

Options
Exflame - Heavens Tear
Exflame - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
I thought i would try the Netflix free trial to get the free zen and then see if its any good as I could always cancel.

So I register and use my credit card which unfortunately is maxed right now until Wednesday but it only says it needs a valid credit card- nothing about any funds in it!

It says it will not charge anything on your card until AFTER the first free month- so why then does it reject my card and tell me that there isn't enough money in the account for a SECURITY Deposit!

What a con- they will take the money for the month after the free month ! so its NOT free and you HAVE to pay to get the free month!

What a CON!!
Post edited by Exflame - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I advise against using the paid offers, I do the serveys myself, because you don't have to provide real information. (idk if they track IP's, they may but I doubt it)
  • Ready_rescue - Lost City
    Ready_rescue - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I just used this about 2 weeks ago and had a total of $0.00 taken from my account. I cancelled it and it is going to let me finish my month off for free. No idea why you would be charged, unless it took 1 penny like some companies do just to verify that your card is an authentic card.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    This isn't a con. Stop spreading misinformation please.

If you submit a credit card, whether it's charged or not, EVERY company does a security deposit to check to see if it is a real card or not. Otherwise, people would just enter fake numbers.

You basically gave netflix the equivalent of a useless, fake/expired credit card that can't be used, and you expect them to give you free zen for that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Exflame - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I used a VALID card- so Netflix employer go jump in a lake coming here saying its not a con!

It wants the full month - that is from the UK version- I ain't sure how it works in the US but I decided to go see what this security deposit is and in the terms and services it says that it will deduct the full first month and put it in HOLDING until the first free month is up- it will then release it back to your account at the end of the month if you choose to cancel!

So it is a CON! as there is NOTHING free about taking he money from your account even if they just hold onto it for a month then give it back if you choose not stay subscribed!

This is for the UK version of netflix that is!
  • Exflame - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    "Your Payment Method will be authorized for up to approximately one month of service as soon as you register. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization; however, no charges will be made against the Payment Method unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period. You will not receive a notice from us that your free trial period has ended or that the paying portion of your membership has begun. If YOU CANCEL PRIOR TO THE END OF YOUR FREE TRIAL, THERE WILL BE NO CHARGES TO YOUR PAYMENT METHOD. CLICK THE "YOUR ACCOUNT" LINK AT THE TOP OF ANY NETFLIX WEB PAGE FOR CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS. We will continue to bill your Payment Method on a monthly basis for your membership fee until you cancel. You may cancel your membership at anytime; however, there are no refunds or credits for partially used periods. "

From the terms of service contract! so in the UK the service is NOT free!
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited August 2012
    Options
    "Your Payment Method will be authorized for up to approximately one month of service as soon as you register. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization; however, no charges will be made against the Payment Method unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial period. You will not receive a notice from us that your free trial period has ended or that the paying portion of your membership has begun. If YOU CANCEL PRIOR TO THE END OF YOUR FREE TRIAL, THERE WILL BE NO CHARGES TO YOUR PAYMENT METHOD. CLICK THE "YOUR ACCOUNT" LINK AT THE TOP OF ANY NETFLIX WEB PAGE FOR CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS. We will continue to bill your Payment Method on a monthly basis for your membership fee until you cancel. You may cancel your membership at anytime; however, there are no refunds or credits for partially used periods. "

Ok well if they stated exactly what they are doing in print, in UK english, and even warned you in caps that this could happen, how is it a con.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Exflame - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Ok well if they stated exactly what they are doing in print, in UK english, and even warned you in caps that this could happen, how is it a con.

Cause its NOT FREE!

they charge you for it even during the first FREE month- its false advertising!
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Cause its NOT FREE!

they charge you for it even during the first FREE month- its false advertising!

I bought a TIVO to record the 2012 Olympics using my temporary free trial, then returned it to get a full refund after it was over. My credit card statement says "+ $299" "- $299", which = $0. I felt like that was free use of a TIVO, isn't this the same thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Exflame - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I bought a TIVO to record the 2012 Olympics using my temporary free trial, then returned it to get a full refund after it was over. My credit card statement says "+ $299" "- $299", which = $0. I felt like that was free use of a TIVO, isn't this the same thing?

To a degree...
    But to say that its Free for the first month with NO charge (but hten putting it in the terms of service that you will be charged but they will put it on hold ) is pretty much NOT free and false advertising!

They may not take the money but they will HOLD it and remove it from your bank account even though they give it back but not before TAKING it out your account.

So how can it be free when you getting charged for it even though after the free month you will get the money back in your account.

The point is supposed to be FREE not charge you and keep the money for a month- if they do that to the thousands and thousands of new subscribers in the UK then who earns the interest on all that money that gets put into holding?
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

The part in yellow is saying that they will do a security deposit check to ensure they are receiving a valid credit card. One that has is maxed out is not a valid credit card at the time you're trying to use it. No actual charges were made on your card. It is not a month long hold on your account, typically the hold is cancelled within the next business day. I've had these checks resolved within a matter of hours. This is standard operating procedure for most american internet companies.

It's like someone agreeing to give you a CD for free to use for a month, and if you don't like it you can return it. The only thing you have to do to get it show them a bank receipt so that they can verify that you would have to money to pay for it and won't need to run away with their CD. But an internet company can't do that, so they put a hold on your account for a few hours to verify the card you are using belongs to an actual bank and isn't expired or maxed out or anything. Then once they verify they immediately cancel it. If your card had a few dollars on it, they would have given it right back to you once they verified and you could enjoy a free month of service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit