Our connections to our characters

13»

Comments

• Baby_pho - Heavens Tear
    Baby_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a char, but since it's a mmo many people build relations.

And yes for some people it's like playing dolls, they marry, they dress than with pretty clothes, they ghet angry and bl people, it's like playing barbie for some people.

My char is just a char in a game, i enjoy playing it, i would not make a char of a class i don't like just to farm.

yes bella get my point. didnt see how my post earlier was going to set off a chain of insults/trolls. it is like playing barbie and g.i joe b:cute. I just put on smilies cos I like them maybe that's y you think I was trolling?
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My chars looks are pretty much a digital representation of the characters I already have on paper. I love writing stories and even though I do draw my characters in a more comic-style it's fun to see them in 3D.
    My seeker is styled after the character Hazumi, which I actually stopped writing about a while ago. *shrugs* I still like her look though.

Further my character is just an avatar, I don't act all that different, or like the character would act.

It has always been an escape too, away from the real world. When I started playing pwi I was being bullied every single day at school, or by kids from the neighbourhood. In game I wasn't bullied and if someone was mean or annoying there was the wonderous blacklist. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucrecia - Momaganon
    Lucrecia - Momaganon Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think what Hazumi_chan said is pretty much what many people feel . If you got problems with your life, you rather play a game where you can blacklist people and its a bit like a start-over. If the people around dont like you, but youre acting ingame pretty much the same like in rl , then you can see that this is not your fault.

And this is not a point where you can say "Get a life" or "That nerd plays PWI because his real life sucks, go away damn" . You can make deeper friendships ingame than in RL sometimes.

To most of my characters i have a thin connection. I play most of them different, thats why many people cant guess whos my alt. Only with my first chars, especially my old main i got a deeper connection. He was pretty much how I was, but i could make him look like I never will be able to look and act like i want to - and people didnt hate you for that.

I got my nickname in RL because of my ingame char, i didnt used that name ever before. And most people still call me Nef. I made some friends ingame who like me for what i was, they didnt care about any bad rep . Now, when I sometimes draw my friends for fun, i still make a combo from how they look irl and ingame.

And although i didnt play him for years i sometimes still feel more like my main ingame than myself in real life b:embarrass
    Do you believe in life before death?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yes bella get my point. didnt see how my post earlier was going to set off a chain of insults/trolls. it is like playing barbie and g.i joe b:cute. I just put on smilies cos I like them maybe that's y you think I was trolling?

I didn't troll you, I defended you. Sorry, won't happen again. :P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Nareeah - Lost City
    Nareeah - Lost City Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Interesting question and like Michael said a few of the responses so far have been a little disturbing.

I can see how some people can get attached to their toon for various reasons although the level of attachment that some people have is borderline insanity. I personally have zero attachment to any character on any game. When this game shuts down I will not care at all that all the characters that I leveled/geared are gone. The woman on the other hand falls under the disturbing attachment/borderline insanity category. Extreme OCD with everything on here.

how dare you to talk about our woman like that D=
    ONT:
    this is my main for a reason.... i don't really connect to pixel thing that's running around
    it's the connection to all good people i met and nice stuff we did together b:victory

when they shut down servers will i be sorry?
    yeah i will
    that is time i invested in leveling, gearing and chatting
    and ofc the fash b:cute
    part of my history going poof...

will i go /wrist cuz my mage is gone? no
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a personal story for each char, different clothes, mounts, even behaviors.

e.g. Selak is Leader of Helsing so he is a quite, dignified, married and faithful to 1 wonderful cleric wife.
    Where as my alt Mystic Rockbuster is cheeky and dates all my cleric wifes alts b:laugh

For me a game is kinda like the best form of interactive movie we could have, where we can explore all the things we cannot do in real life.

And take it from me if you were around when we first tried to combine gaming and interactive movies together you will understand why I love games with this level of customization for not only chars looks but also how you can build and use them.

I loved my avatars in Ultima Underworlds 1 & 2 on my 286, but when hardware, games, screen resolutions changed and online MMORPGs came I did not hesitate to move on, but if you think they are forgotten you are wrong b:cool
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Currant - Dreamweaver
    Currant - Dreamweaver Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have to say that after reading all of these comments, it really makes me see just how diverse the PWI community is. Thank you all for commenting and sharing your stories and feelings about your characters b:victory

Oh, and do take a look at my future threads :)

If anyone else has more to say, please don't hesitate to comment ^_^

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."
    -Carl Jung

This isn't my actual character...I just like the name b:victory