The Nostalgia Thread

Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
With the fourth anniversary approaching I'd say it's time we have a recap of the events that have changed this game ever since it was released under Perfect World Entertainment. I laid out a few of them from the first year already, but I'll leave it up to you people to post the rest so we can get a bit of discussing going on.

So...

Do you remember when:

-Closed beta started?
-There was no auto-path?
-People were outraged at the $1 = 1 gold rates?
-Holding back your damage in order to not take aggro was considered a vital skill?
-Charms were more cost-effective to use than potions?
-There were Guardian Angels instead of Guardian Scrolls?
-Krimson and Jewels were the big baddies?
-Encountering an Increased (Magic) Defense mob was a nightmare for anyone but clerics and venomancers?
-Venomancers were the bandwagon class (much like sins are now)?
-Your ultimate skills were something to look forward to?
-Sets of fireworks cost about 25 to 50 silver in the boutique?
-The Ancestral Kirin was considered the most epic mount?
-The website looked like this?
-Having an alt was fairly uncommon due to all the quests you would have to go through?
-The maximum zoom-out distance was about half of what it is now?
-You needed to lure dungeon mobs one by one?
-You needed a venomancer to do said luring?
-Teleacoustics were expensive?
-Tomes were incredibly rare?
-People did FBs for the EXP and reputation?
-The only way to get Mysterious Chips was from the Cube of Fate (roughly 40 a day)?
-Getting your TT60 weapon was an amazing achievement?
-The first expansion?
-Everything in said expansion being too high level for 99.9% of the playerbase (world bosses, warsoul weapons, chrono maps. third fairy...)?
-World bosses took a lot of coordination and manpower to take down?
-Apocalypse Pages were a valuable drop from FB89?
-People would only take experienced players into Rebirth?
-People did Rebirth Orders other than Delta?
-Deciding whether to go demon or sage was usually done in your mid 80's and not before you even made your character?
-The second expansion?
-61+LP genies almost didn't exist (there were only a handful of level 90+ and xp/sp was hard to get)?
-Thunderstorm did amazing damage (according to old standards)?
-Holy Path would affect your entire squad?
-The first anniversary?

Well, do you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember when doing all quests was absolutely normal and almost a "must do".

Now ask some random newbie and he will tell you "ahahah you stupid?,quests sucks!"

I remember when the game was new and exciting and I was imaging what awesome dungeons/mobs/places I was going to see when I was an high level(70+ was high level for me at that time).

(<-- Don't look at my join date this not my main's account)

*sigh* b:cry
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember how i came here when i saw the new class Sin/Psy was given, was in PWMY before, so much tough time i had to farm my r8 and even TT99 that was a really game for me, Still fighting for T3 dagger mold, the fight haven't stopped yet .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I remember those but I don't think they went with that name.
    If they did, I can't seem to find them on pwdatabase.
    -Encountering an Increased (Magic) Defense mob was a nightmare for anyone but clerics and venomancers?

They were still annoying for clerics because that had meant plume shot, plume shot, plume shot, plume shot.... 10 minutes later still plume shotting...

I remember leveling a cleric and always looking forward to my tempest skill. By the time I got it I remember hating it because it didn't do much against my wizzie friend of a similar level.

I thought that was the ninetails? I remember ninetails being a sort of exclusive, legendary mount...

Still think it looks better than current website.

I remember on the really old 1.3.6 clients you could change it so that it could zoom out forever...

And I remember dying if more than one was lured because some idiot would always forget about me healing in the back. b:cry

My most fondest memory of this was getting a free run through fb19 on one of my alts with a team of all lvl 100s from Conquerer on Lost City... They were a nice guild.
    -Deciding whether to go demon or sage was usually done in your mid 80's and not before you even made your character?

Eh... I remember making my alts and planning out what they would be despite never having the attention to level up any of them... Then again I played on my-en so I already knew about that.
    -The first anniversary?
    Anni mount was pretty cool... Until it got stuck there on a char I didn't want it on until account stash was released.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2012
    I remember those but I don't think they went with that name.
    If they did, I can't seem to find them on pwdatabase.

Existing GA's got changed into GS. It was due to political correctness.
    They were still annoying for clerics because that had meant plume shot, plume shot, plume shot, plume shot.... 10 minutes later still plume shotting...

It wasn't that bad because they could use both physical and magic attacks (archers too, actually). The less lucky classes would be busy for quite a while b:chuckle

I remember leveling a cleric and always looking forward to my tempest skill. By the time I got it I remember hating it because it didn't do much against my wizzie friend of a similar level.

Same, but it was quite a milestone for most classes (especially for wizards with BT because of the above).
    I thought that was the ninetails? I remember ninetails being a sort of exclusive, legendary mount...

Ninetails wasn't released until much later. In the beginning there was only the panther, polar bear, elephant, reindeer, raptor and kirin. A bit later the Boa was put into the boutique for 50 gold (most expensive item at the time).

The kirin and raptor were considered the coolest because of their looks and epic level 60 requirement b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I didn't know that a tome fed pets/mounts till around level 40. No one in our nub faction had ever run with levels higher than 6x because they were so rare in the early days.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited August 2012
    Existing GA's got changed into GS. It was due to political correctness.

Oh I remember now.
    I was thinking of dolls. The nickname for them was dolls, but the real name was guardian angel.

Ninetails wasn't released until much later. In the beginning there was only the panther, polar bear, elephant, reindeer, raptor and kirin. A bit later the Boa was put into the boutique for 50 gold (most expensive item at the time).

The kirin and raptor were considered the coolest because of their looks and epic level 60 requirement b:chuckle

I never paid attention then if that was the case. I don't think I was really into the mounts as much as I was with the aerogear or fash...
    Always found it better to fly everywhere and go afk... Sometimes I would go afk for too long and hit the edge of the map and have to fly back. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Sometimes I would go afk for too long and hit the edge of the map and have to fly back. b:surrender

Ah yes, the old autopathing method.

Click the sky in the general direction of where you needed to go and wait...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • My__Camry - Heavens Tear
    My__Camry - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I remember people forming squads for those 2 bosses, Krimson if you weren't level 70 or 80 with TT gear and good cleric was nightmare, normally people would glitch him by letting archer tank him from one of rooftops :)
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember all of these things (minus closed beta)

I remember when they had the black raptor and hell hound promotions where if you referred like 10 people to the game and they charged zen you got the mount.

I remember doing Justice Orders in my 60s because they were great xp.

I remember getting my TT60 and then TT70 stuff and feeling like a total badass with it.

I remember squad wiping on Gouf

I remember my first FB39, and falling in love with the instance

I remember My first Tempest and Blue Bubble... huge moments for me

I remember zhenning! Not PQ zhen but seaweed thieves with 400k Gold HP Charms

I remember going on PWDatabase to look up where the mobs I had to kill were

I hate this thread... it makes me remember how I used to feel playing the game and how even though it was much slower leveling and there wasn't nearly as good gear there was still more enjoyment because everything you did and earned actually mattered. And you got to meet people that were working towards it as well, instead of what it's become now where it's 5APS or gtfo and unless you run with others you lose profit. And you're forced to become obsessed with gear unless you wanna fall behind and be unable to do anything.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

I hate you awn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember when everywhere I went I could find someone (usually plenty) of people to squad with for quests. Now those areas are like ghost towns. Even some of the mid level things like questing around wraith swamp, tusk town, or dreamweaver had people passing through all day.
  • jasminerocks
    jasminerocks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i miss good old days
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember when calamities were OP as hell
    Gifs are hard to make work here
    edited August 2012
    I remember when calamities were OP as hell

And had a price tag to match...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember when gold was 100k.

oh man , why PW had to change so much , i would give everything to play the older version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember buying my first piece of fashion for 800k at level 28.
    I did my bh39 with a lvl 80 barb from nefarious. (and he had gold TT80 gear with beautifull shards *gasps*) I also learned how to lure in said bh39 by the director from my faction
    When my faction leader turned level 89, everyone was gratzing him on wc. It was a damn high level back then :3
    I remember my director telling me, to not buy any SoF's for more than 2,3k a piece.
    And the outrage when gold price rose to 200k because of the chests that contain 1mil x'D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ClericMD - Lost City
    ClericMD - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IMHO best free MMO out there. Sure, there's an item mall, but it's not required in the slightest. You can level up at a very fair pace if you quest and don't **** around. The aspect of money isn't daunting, either, since the drop rates seem to be about perfect on many many items. I should also add that the community is superb! Helpful, friendly, active. I'd recommend anyone to at least try this game. It's only obvious con is that there are only 2 classes for each race (6 in total).
    rednova88 3 years ago
    Perfect World international is like 10x better. Better GM support, crisper graphics, runs more smoothly, more events/updates, added more quests as well (rumored)!
    L3gendary92 3 years ago
    This game would be one of the best OL game, you need to get to know to other people in order not to get bored, making squad/party to random people is one way to know other people, their are lots of quest in PWI, and most of the quest needs to have squads/party, and in that squad, you'll gonna know different races,languages, etc. and thats one of the reason why its in international version now. So have fun playing PWI. :)
    moshie
    lmOShl 3 years ago

Not a grind game. Main experiance comes from quests and later from teamplay. :)

DigitalWebOwner en respuesta a Animelovahr 4 years ago

What the hell happen in this 3 years b:shedtear I really miss all this things b:cry.
    I want my old PW back b:angry
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember:

-How we used to have to dismount our mounts, 'because none of the gateways would ever let (both us & our mounts) go through them' while riding them...

-When {Mirage Celestones} were such a total pain in the A**! to ever find being sold anywhere?!!....

-When the Males {Chain Set} Fashion, was considered the Absolute 'Apex' of all things in Stylized BadazZery.....

-When {Silver (HP & MP) Charms} were first introduced, and we were all like......b:dirty ROFLMAO!!!

-A (Perfect or Higher ~ Level Shard) making you look 'Rich & Impressive' if even 1 was on your gear......

-{Fb59s} taking 2 friggen hours!? Of 'Blood Sweat & Tears' and (multi) squad wipes.......b:cry

-My first Views of someone trying to make an {(AA) Tank Barb} Because they really thought it was the best way to tank some of the Bosses........ROL'Zzzzzz

-When {Gm~Usagii} Had us all over at Archo's 'westgate' on {HT} on our Venos; and had dozens of us all doing the Wave "Like we were in a (sports arena) by jumping up & down in sequence".........

-Being Banned for like '2 weeks' for 'solo glitch dropping' Gouff on my then (48th lv Veno)
    And taking it as a badge of honour 'for my Ban's length of time'.........ROFLMAO!!!

-Watching the emergency patch that {PWi} had too do so quickly, that OH Sooo! Wonderful Halloween... Just to get the Legendary (Super Spammer! & MOTOR Mouth!!) 'Duke Black' to Shut the H*.*L UP!!! During the Halloween NPC Event......... ROFLMAO(x)100!!!!

-Seeing the {Ancient Serpent Mount} sell for like '4 million' and being sickened by that abhorrent price tag........

b:pleased\\\_Oh for the Memories, of times long gone_///b:laugh

• crystalpink
    crystalpink Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Do you remember when:

-Closed beta started?
    -There was no auto-path?
    -People were outraged at the $1 = 1 gold rates?
    -Holding back your damage in order to not take aggro was considered a vital skill?
    -Charms were more cost-effective to use than potions?
    -Venomancers were the bandwagon class (much like sins are now)?
    -Sets of fireworks cost about 25 to 50 silver in the boutique?
    -The website looked like this?
    -Having an alt was fairly uncommon due to all the quests you would have to go through?
    -Teleacoustics were expensive?
    -Tomes were incredibly rare?
    -The only way to get Mysterious Chips was from the Cube of Fate (roughly 40 a day)?
    -Getting your TT60 weapon was an amazing achievement?
    -The first expansion?
    -Everything in said expansion being too high level for 99.9% of the playerbase (world bosses, warsoul weapons, chrono maps. third fairy...)?
    -World bosses took a lot of coordination and manpower to take down?
    -Apocalypse Pages were a valuable drop from FB89?
    -People would only take experienced players into Rebirth?
    -People did Rebirth Orders other than Delta?
    -The second expansion?
    -61+LP genies almost didn't exist (there were only a handful of level 90+ and xp/sp was hard to get)?
    -Thunderstorm did amazing damage (according to old standards)?
    -Holy Path would affect your entire squad?
    -The first anniversary?

Well, do you?
    I remembered most of them, except the first anniversary because I was already gone to play another game before PWI had their first anniversary. b:chuckle

/was ragequitting because PWE gave ZEN sale/discount coupon to non-cash shop users, but not to cash shop users. b:laugh
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    ( > < )
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

Server: Abyss
    IGNs: Valentina (Magus), Amanita (Heretic), Avicenia (Slayer), Mirabillis (Champion), Solange (Berserker)
    Xfire username: crystalpink
  • bearyflair
    bearyflair Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember when EG classes came out, when there was no music in EG areas, getting blasted by loud music the first time I entered Archo. b:laugh

when doing low level BHs, it wasen't taking hours to get ppl

when ppl were not afraid of helping others
  • Bubbles - Morai
    edited August 2012
    I remember when gold was 100k.

oh man , why PW had to change so much , i would give everything to play the older version.

I really doubt you would want to play the old version all over again. It is boring as hell.

I think what you want is a version without packs and without imbalances in the cash shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    I really doubt you would want to play the old version all over again. It is boring as hell.

I think what you want is a version without packs and without imbalances in the cash shop.

Yeah, the memories of that time might be fond ones, but there really was nothing to do for higher levels.

Though the pvp in TT99 gear could be interesting...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ILacy - Sanctuary
    ILacy - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember my cleric being a hero and everyone went jelly on my TT70 armor and magic sword.

More precious memories coming tomorrow, im too tired right now. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One of my (all-time) Favorites, was when the {TB's} came out, and then we all rolled some {TB Characters} and Wondered why the F***?!?? They were all wearing BOZO Style! Clown Face Makeup!!!!!b:chuckle

And then only much later did we find out, that it really was a glitch! And People started B*****ng! When they finally fixed the Face tone colors bugg and everyone finally got rid of the white face look, because some of them liked it so much.....ROFLMAO!!!!!!b:pleasedb:laughb:pleased
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012

No i mean it , i want the old version back , no packs , no new classes , no powerlvling. I dont care if i got bored from being a high lvl , i would find things to do. I even got bored now that im medium lvl. won't change that situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • __ian__ - Heavens Tear
    __ian__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I remember everything since Feb 09. I miss when this game used to be a community & people had no other chose to help others to do there quests. Instead this game has turned into a bunch of uber nerds who seem to be over compensating for being picked on as a kid. Its funny when you see pictures of these people& then see how they act in the sever b:chuckle. But as usual there will be some re-tard to boost there pathetic ego & and go wow you have cool pixels.

Someday ill be a cool internet warrior too b:laugh
    http://www.filmchair.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/internet-warrior.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Complete your first quest. b:bye
    Feb 24, 2009
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Remember the forum melt down. Oh do remember the forum melt down. Ty Shelly... Who is still around...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • _Thia_ - Dreamweaver
    _Thia_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Indeed i do :) I started at CBT in Lost City August 2008 :))
    Back then the game was so much more exciting. Getting a 3 star item would be enough to make us happy. Do you remember the first halowwen event? we got fairy dresses ( 1 week) and the first Christmas event we had that quest to jump from chimney to chimney? eheheh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Remember the forum melt down. Oh do remember the forum melt down. Ty Shelly... Who is still around...

Oh yes.. I remember that very fondly b:sin

I heard there was quite a... chaoticrampage. b:cool
  • Crystyl - Dreamweaver
    Crystyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think the fun of this game since closed beta was in learning a new game with no one to show you the tricks to powerleveling. Would'nt it be fun if they did full server wipes? As in you keep everything you own but everyone goes back to level 1! What a great Halloween "event" THAT would be!!!!

remember "Spoons"? Wonder where he is now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Actually the Mayans predicted the end of Twinkies!
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh yes.. I remember that very fondly b:sin

I heard there was quite a... chaoticrampage. b:cool

I love how you're unbaned after all that bullsh1t and I tell PW to **** off once and I get perma ban on two characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk