Lesson No. 2: Perfect Imbalance.

Options
Kinjeto - Raging Tide
Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/perfect-imbalance

So the idea that:

1. Person A creates an award winning build, A lot of Person As rush to that build and kit it out.
1a. But that build isn't so tragic that your users go "Mother of... this is ridiculous I feel over/underpowered." b:laugh (We're slowly fixing/learning +1 to the G16 Nirvana Gear. +1 for fixing TW Tower Health ah yeah. But -1 for upgrading the R9 because its just more power creeping.)

2. Which leaves Person B working out how they can counter that build or Person C waiting to see what the next build will be or thinking.

Which leads to people chasing various things.

Just from more food for thought on power creeping issues:
Power Creep

Remember when TW had to have the tower defense increased recently. Yeah, about that power creeping issue.

So heres the theory: I play a barbarian. and he uses four weapons: (Hammer, Duel Hammers, Double Axe, Poleaxe) I can also put status abilities (making these random - so so good idea but that is debatable if factored in) on my weapon and I can put stones in my weapon.

Also there is Demon and Sage.
There is also an under utilized rune-crafting system.
There is also an element system.

In the end. Which leads to
3. The wonders of Theory-crafting that will never end, cause there is no 5 APS build.

Think about it, Frankie a meta game that never ends.

Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
b i t . l y /
I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
Post edited by Kinjeto - Raging Tide on

Comments

• TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

Think about it, Frankie a meta game that never ends.

Hate to burst your bubble, but welcome to 2009 and the reason why so many people quit when Anniversary Packs first came out.

b:bye
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • V_m_ - Harshlands
    V_m_ - Harshlands Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Hate to burst your bubble, but welcome to 2009 and the reason why so many people quit when Anniversary Packs first came out.

b:bye

im not sure if this is a troll trolling or a troll trolling a troll
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"perfect world isnt perfect, but its better than this so called "reality""
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    im not sure if this is a troll trolling or a troll trolling a troll

He's right though, 2009 is pw's turning point from being a reasonable game to being p2w. It really wasn't 2010 though until people starting rage quitting in droves. The smart ones left early in 2009 when they did the math on packs and realized that pwi was lying about how long they would stay in cash shop (they were supposed to be anniversary only...).

Granted there were always imbalances (nixes) but packs not only brought power to those who paid, but also brought in 10 mill notes and easy powerleveling (oracles). combine that with the sins' rise to power in early 2010-mid 2010 and by the fall of 2010 people were quitting left and right and starting up 100+ page long threads on the forums about different ****.

Notice how we don't have stickies full of rage posts about issues anymore? Most of those people were gone by 2011. When they left, so did a good part of pwi's population.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Notice how we don't have stickies full of rage posts about issues anymore?

Good times, good times...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    b:heart penny arcade. And yes, this is why venos weren't so bad. And sins seriously needed to be nerfed. Though the game is taking steps in the right direction to counter them. And I am seeing more different classes as I level my alt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Shika_No_Ken - Raging Tide
    Shika_No_Ken - Raging Tide Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Ok, so if this is true. All we have to do is come up with 1-2 game play counters to Aps and power leveling. Of course pw would have to implement them, then keep the balance, then......

Never mind, thats not going to happen unless they start losing money......

Wait that already happened. Maybe when people start quitting...

No wait that happened to. Ok maybe.... umm, oh Never mind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    He's right though, 2009 is pw's turning point from being a reasonable game to being p2w. It really wasn't 2010 though until people starting rage quitting in droves. The smart ones left early in 2009 when they did the math on packs and realized that pwi was lying about how long they would stay in cash shop (they were supposed to be anniversary only...).

Granted there were always imbalances (nixes) but packs not only brought power to those who paid, but also brought in 10 mill notes and easy powerleveling (oracles). combine that with the sins' rise to power in early 2010-mid 2010 and by the fall of 2010 people were quitting left and right and starting up 100+ page long threads on the forums about different ****.

Notice how we don't have stickies full of rage posts about issues anymore? Most of those people were gone by 2011. When they left, so did a good part of pwi's population.

Yep... I joined the game in December '10... at the tail end of all that rage quitting and QQ. However, even back then my first impression of the game was how over crowded City of the Lost (yep... my first toon was a veno) seemed at the time. Granted... the numbers were boosted quite a bit by the fact that the snowman event was going on back then. But still... it's quite clear looking at the state of the game today and the population numbers in the starter cities and even Arch... that PWI never recovered from the series of mass exits resulting from their unseemly decision making.

LOL... judging by the way this new update is suddenly now being "rushed" at us as well as being targeted mainly at TW (the realm of the cash shopper, lets face it)... Upper management appears to be girding themselves for the first mass exodus of 2012. b:laugh
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Just from more food for thought on power creeping issues:
    Power Creep

I found this video to be extremely interesting and that's exactly what's been happening on PWI since the rep sale...

First was Cheap R8,then R9,2nd and third cast R9 now.

A game that want to last longer can't just put in overpowered stuff to make the difference between a rich player and newbie one more and more abyssal.
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

Very true things.

Though you have to remember that the reason the sales keep coming back is because they're huge successes. And that is because the players want that. That's because most people think only of themselves. Getting that cheap endgame gear and being powerful is nice. That thing happening to everyone else in the game, not so much.

Of course, PWE should've realized that the various sales they've put up (reputation, packs) and some of the updates (Aurora Agent, recast R9s) are good money makers, but they're not good for the game. Heck, I honestly think that some of the GMs we see really did believe that some of the changes weren't good. It's just not up for them to do something about it. After all, even if majority of the vocal players think something is ****, majority of the actual players are still taking part in making that **** a good sale. And good sales is what the company wants out of the game.

A company like PWE isn't in it for the long haul. They have tons of games, each with their own player base. Thus, the lack of success of some title can be made up with success of another. Therefore, the importance to keep one title healthy and going isn't as high as companies that are renowned for a single, big-name game. And even if they end up killing Perfect World International with the sales, they can just make Perfect World International: Return of the Pan Gu or Perfect World International: The Roots or whatever the hell they want to call the successor. Granted, a lot of the old players probably won't migrate, but the same is true of a lot of successors: Counter-Strike, ********, Diablo, StarCraft, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.
    I found this video to be extremely interesting and that's exactly what's been happening on PWI since the rep sale...

A game that want to last longer can't just put in overpowered stuff to make the difference between a rich player and newbie one more and more abyssal.

Well it's a bit different here, actually. For one, recast R9 is made to be ridiculously costly, most likely exactly for that reason. For the same reason, we got powerful gear that you pretty much have to farm, such as G16 Nirvana and recast R8. The point of recast R9 and the one after that isn't really to raise the standard, but to try and get the few players that really need to have the best of the best to spend their money after they've already gotten the current best stuff. And heck, the incentive to do it is really low due to the costs and how little it actually matters.

Similarly, most instances that are dead in PWI are dead due to powerleveling rather than better gear. Selling FCC pretty much killed off low level BH, which made running the lower FBs a very rare occurence. All of teh endgame instances, except TT, are kept alive by BH100 and the gear or money they produce. Of course this means I do think they should introduce TT3-x into BH100. Hell, they could even add Alpha, Beta and Gamma to the lower ones. And put a damn level cap on FCC.

But alas, FCC results in powerleveling which leads to people having high levels with low end gear, which is often only solvable by cash shopping, especially since people in this situation are obvious not in it for the long haul. And that brings them cash and that's why they won't do anything about it.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

nope any was 1st and the jones blessing wish i remember clearly made a lot of ppl rage back then.

then genie wish at this point is a good thing to have.

then sin and with pack ability to obtain 5aps wish instantly kiilled the veno solo class
    wish in my mind was not such a big deal cos lets face it they could never solo all of tt either just solo mode.

then come r8-r9 3rd cast
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Though you have to remember that the reason the sales keep coming back is because they're huge successes. And that is because the players want that.

Sadly, very few of the players really want that. However, the truth is, they still make more money even from the minority. A thousand r9 players throwing $3000+ into the game will make them a vast amount more money than ten thousand happy regular players spending $100 to +5 their tt99 endgame. In the end, they don't need to keep people happy, as long as that tiny r9 cash shopping group keeps pouring money into their pockets for OP gear.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Sadly, very few of the players really want that. However, the truth is, they still make more money even from the minority. A thousand r9 players throwing $3000+ into the game will make them a vast amount more money than ten thousand happy regular players spending $100 to +5 their tt99 endgame. In the end, they don't need to keep people happy, as long as that tiny r9 cash shopping group keeps pouring money into their pockets for OP gear.

I have never seen more truth in my life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options

I wouldn't agree with you on this one.

They get much more money with those weekly sales than with people buying just R9. Thing is, people who bought R9 doesn't represent that much percentage of player-base. Also, R9 is one-time shopping and sales are each week. R9 people who buys packs, as well as other people who regularly spend 10-20 USD on game will contribute more than people who just buys R9. Specially when they have good sales, like last reputation sale with Heroic Chest promo.

Same goes with normal shops. Owners don't make much money on people who buys expensive stuff, but makes money on lots of other people who buy lots of cheap stuff.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    You watch EC too! That's awesome!

Loved the pony batman they put in this episode xD. I haven't watched EC in a while..
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    A thousand r9 players throwing $3000+ into the game will make them a vast amount more money than ten thousand happy regular players spending $100 to +5 their tt99 endgame.

The thing is, it's not one or the other. PWI has both.

PWE seems equally interested in milking both of these groups.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I wouldn't agree with you on this one.

They get much more money with those weekly sales than with people buying just R9. Thing is, people who bought R9 doesn't represent that much percentage of player-base. Also, R9 is one-time shopping and sales are each week. R9 people who buys packs, as well as other people who regularly spend 10-20 USD on game will contribute more than people who just buys R9. Specially when they have good sales, like last reputation sale with Heroic Chest promo.

Well, r9 was more of an example. What I mean is heavy cash shopping in general. Like people who buy packs 500+ at a time, or people who spammed up 10000+ heroic chests without the glitch or someone who cash shopped to make a +12 vana 2nd cast and 5.0 gear. Either way, those individuals pour more money into PWI's pocket than a hundred casual players in a balanced game.
    The thing is, it's not one or the other. PWI has both.

PWE seems equally interested in milking both of these groups.

True. However there's a lot less of the happy tt99 +5 players than there used to be. When PWI introduced packs permanently, and jones blessings, and r9 and so on, a lot of them silently moved on. A lot of new players still quit without being noticed. PWI is happy to take money from anyone who wants to play, but if unhappy players are leaving, it doesn't matter, because each sale still attacts a cash shopping handful who pay more money than they would have ever earned otherwise.