R9 Ring vs Cloud Stir

aalpeculae
aalpeculae Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
This is my current build http://pwcalc.com/804f2bc420115f2e

My question is which is better r9 ring/cloud stir vs two cloud stir? If I use two cloud stir it will give me 80% m def without cleric buffs, and 77% m def if I use r9 ring/cloud stir.
Also is it worth to give up 5 def lvl from r9 ring to gain 3% extra m def from the extra cloud stir. Also for the one saying go sky cover, I have two of them :).

So if I use two cloud stir then my def lvl will be 66 in black voodoo, so it is better to use O'Malley's Blessing right? Cause one def lvl cancle one att lvl, and for the most full r9s, they will have like 90-100 att lvl depend on which bless they use and thier gear.

Thank you for answering my questions. Hope you can understand my English
Post edited by aalpeculae on

Comments

• Azizsixer - Raging Tide
    Azizsixer - Raging Tide Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd say stick with the R9 ring. That extra 5 def lvls is far better than 3% mdef. considering ur unbuffed mdef is already so high. Defense lvls affect p.dmg and would give u a more all round defense boost.

My opinion anyway.b:cute
  • aalpeculae
    edited July 2012
    I'd say stick with the R9 ring. That extra 5 def lvls is far better than 3% mdef. considering ur unbuffed mdef is already so high. Defense lvls affect p.dmg and would give u a more all round defense boost.

I only want use the cloud stir to 1vs1 with mages unbuffed b:chuckle
  • TheBaroness - Sanctuary
    TheBaroness - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd argue that your Psy would be better off using a 12+ Sky cover, taking advantage of extra p.def.

Your Psy would go from 4726 to 6488 unbuffed, and 15149 p.def with Sage Bell and Vangaurd. When fighting a mage you could always switch the Cloud Stir back on that you already have.

http://pwcalc.com/76b41626e412966f
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd argue that your Psy would be better off using a 12+ Sky cover, taking advantage of extra p.def.
    See:
    aalpeculae wrote: »
    Also for the one saying go sky cover, I have two of them :).

@OP: Go ahead and use the R9 ring. Between m.def charms, your already high magic defense, your defense levels from R9 itself, your high refines, your shards, and voodoos, survivability isn't really a big question for you against other casters. However R9 ring will help with your damage a bit more than the additional cloud stir would.

In fact, even from a survival standpoint, R9 ring will have you taking less damage when you're not voodoo'd or in black simply because it provides a better buffer against your opponent's attack levels.

If you do use two Cloud Stir, however, you should either stick to Jones or just carry both and switch blessings around when you need to tank vs when you're attacking.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Something you could be considering is Soulforce....although your Soulforce is already pretty high. I guess whether or not to have an additional +12 item depends on knowing what the extra Soulforce can do for you.

Really in 1v1 against wizards, they'd probably use spark anyway.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Ray - Momaganon
    Ray - Momaganon Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh crit arrows, so nice... *facepalm*

The mag attack from R9 ring is almost double. Gives 5 def lvls which is damage reduction against all,(specially other R9 users) not only mag res.
    The only downside is, like Quilue said, the soulforce.
    Always man up. -> /watch?v=pvaN27TgJUc
  • Roslol - Harshlands
    Roslol - Harshlands Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The mag attack from R9 ring is almost double.

With +12 weapon the +2 attack level pretty makes up for the damage loss.
    pwcalc.com/c7406c9082b547e7

Let's play guess who.
  • MiniST - Sanctuary
    MiniST - Sanctuary Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited July 2012

the 3% mdef is actually a 13% decrease in magic damage.
  • aalpeculae
    edited July 2012
    the 3% mdef is actually a 13% decrease in magic damage.

how is the 3% mdef is 13% decrease in magic dmg?
  • Cheesetoast - Raging Tide
    Cheesetoast - Raging Tide Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aalpeculae wrote: »
    how is the 3% mdef is 13% decrease in magic dmg?

It's not. Mini missed out the crucial keyword; more. 3% additional m.def reduction in that build is a 13% further decrease in magic damage. For reason why search 'damage reduction asterelle', he explained it in a post.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's not. Mini missed out the crucial keyword; more. 3% additional m.def reduction in that build is a 13% further decrease in magic damage. For reason why search 'damage reduction asterelle', he explained it in a post.

Further explained:
    77% mdef reduction means taking 23% damage.
    80% mdef reduction means taking 20% damage.

Going from taking 23% to taking 20% is a 13% difference. In other words a 10k attack would be reduced to 2300 damage with r9 and 2000 damage with Cloud Stir. 2000/2300 is .87, 13% less.

But its really not that clear cut, R9 also reduces physical damage and would first work to reduce your opponents attack levels. Rather than fighting an 80 attack level wizard it'd be like you were fighting a 75 attack levels wizard. And you can bet that wizard is coming after you with Blade Tempest for the phys damage, which Cloud Stir does nothing against.

With most casters, killing before you're killed is also important. Your dph power will be greater with the R9 ring. If you have black voodoo on you have 125 attack levels so comparing +96 magic attack and 2 attack levels the attack levels really are only another .9% damage. The +96 mag attack on the r9 ring should average around 2.5% more dmg, depending on the skill, buffs, etc...

Cloud Stir > mdef
    R9 > Pdef
    R9 >damage

Your choice.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    @Saku I think you meant Blade Tempest. BIDS does water damage only.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    @Saku I think you meant Blade Tempest. BIDS does water damage only.

Bah, you're right. Even worse I initialy wrote Dragon's Breath then went "wtf? no. It's that other one" and went to the other wrong one, lol. Edited and fixed.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xD You're welcome! And your points are very valid. I'd choose r9 over a second cloud stir.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not to go off-topic or anything guys r9 and cloud stir would work good together or no?
  • Azizsixer - Raging Tide
    Azizsixer - Raging Tide Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I see no reason why Cloud Stir would not be a good option as a 2nd ring. As some mentioned before though its convenient to carry around a +10-12 Sky Cover as a mage if you're gona 1v1 a melee class.

You'd be losing some matk cuz of the switch but it all depends on ur buffs/unbuffs/situation ur gona be in.

I say stick with R9 + Cloud Stir as every extra bit of dmg helps!