Saphire Vs. Class specific Elemental Stones

Options
larddy
larddy Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
So up to this point in my PWI career Ive been under the impression like almost everyone else I think that sharding my magical weapons with Saphire Shards is the way to go. However I was thinking to myself recently, what's wrong with sharding my Psychics weapon with Elemental Specific stones that accent the damage done already with my skills?

A Saphire Gem adds +75 Magic Damage and the Iceborne Stone is a +100 Magic damage.

Topaz Gem adds +150 Earth Damage and the Lion's Eye Carbunkle adds +200 Earth Damage

Amethyst Gem adds +150 Water Damage and the Darkseer Stone adds +200 Water Damage

So my question is pretty simple and if anyone has played around with this already and knows, please inform me. But wouldn't it make more sense as a Psychic to shard with one of each of the Topaz and Amethyst shards instead of the Saphire? Since all my attacks are Earth and Water Based wouldn't it make more sense and wouldnt I do more damage having those shards in instead of the Saphire?

Now to due to overall "lack" of shards available in the Topaz and Amethyst areas I have yet been able to test this theory of mine myself, so again if someone out there has already played around with this, any feedback would be great, Thank You.
Post edited by larddy on

Comments

• PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    no, search for previous posts on how it works (or wait for someone to repeat it for u)
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Denaini - Sanctuary
    Denaini - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Short version: sapphire shards (garnet shards for physical classes) benefit from damage multipliers. Elemental shards do not.
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Here
    Check the "Elemental Sharding for Magic Weapons" thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Short version: sapphire shards (garnet shards for physical classes) benefit from damage multipliers. Elemental shards do not.

And even if this weren't the case, elemental shards only affect physically attacking a mob with your weapon.... something no caster aside from a venomancer would be doing.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    To answer your question straight.

Elemental Shards only add a fixed amount of elemental damage to your physical (melee) attacks. Stick with Sapphires.