Beginner's Guide to Assassins

DemShadow - Raging Tide
DemShadow - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Assassin
Introduction
Congratulations! If your reading this then you've probably taken your first steps in the shoes of PWI's most notorious PvP and PvE class, the Assassin. As a beginner, you should note that the road to being a mature and skilled Assassin is a long and painful road. Especially without good friends to help you along the way. Assassins are despised in PvP as well as PvP for their ability to go into stealth mode and practically be a ghost to mobs as well as other players, and your insane APS (attack per second) at higher -endgame levels. Luckily every faction needs a good Assassin, and this guide is intended to help you start your class with some fresh knowledge about how to play your class right, and be appreciated for it. It is not going to start off with "Run through FrostCovered City and power level, as this gives you no experience with this astonishing class (which is WORTH the time it takes to level). Any questions? Thought not since this is only me at the moment...b:embarrass Ok, lets begin.

Stat builds

The very first question any person needs to ask no matter what class they are is "what stats should I have?". Every level you gain 5 stat points that you can allocate to Vitality (HP), Magic (MP), Strength (required for armour & weapons, main stat for HeavyArmor class attack), and Dexterity (critical hit%, dodge, accuracy, main stat for Dagger and Bow users (LightArmor classes).

Pure Dex (Common build)Every level: 4-Dexterity, 1-Strength
This build ensures your hitting as hard as you possibly can and your able to wear up-to-date equipment.

Vitality build (Optional for HP)Every level: 3-Dexterity, 1-Strength, 1-Vitality
As an Assassin, you really want to be at the top of your game as you die often at lower levels, so a little bit of health never hurt anybody though it's advised you just shard your weapons at higher levels for more HP.

Skills
For in depth information on skills, refer to RauI's guide http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=901812
Geshwur's insight to key skills:
Inner Harmony - Gives you chi back for free =D

Rising Dragon Strike - Never misses, gives 150 chi

Tackling Slash - Requires target, gives you chi as well as an immobilize effect on target, good to prevent running mobs from running

Power Dash - Increases crit rate, requires 2 sparks

Over-grown supply of control skills - Any skill that says sleep/seal/stun/immobilize/slow etc. Well, these each have their own use, use them when needed. You'll have to learn the best one to use in each situation...

Bloodpaint - High level sin's best friend for survivability, returns HP based on damage done

Tidal Protection and Focused Mind - If BP is a sin's best friend, then these two skills are his mistresses. Evade negative status effects or damage respectively.

Subsea - If you're not the main DD and tank then the squad is going to want you using this EVERY chance you get on bosses, gives an amplification effect to damage dealt to boss, at level 10, that's a full 30% extra damage, when timed well with HF and a veno's amplify the squad's DPS goes through the roof.

Earthen Rift - An AoE skill, and arguably one of the sin's hardest damaging skills.

Knife Throw - To the average sin this is treated as just a ranged attack, but it is imperative to remember that this skill has an interrupt effect, meaning that when timed correctly it can save a squad from a boss's purge or AoE damage if you know when to use it and what bosses CAN be interrupted. (There is one boss you'll encounter [Hopefully for the first time around level 80] that you do NOT want to use this skill on to interrupt...)

and finally... The most hated skill a sin has, but can be used strategically in some situations....

Shadow ESCAPE... (not Shadow Walk, it has fewer practical uses other than abusing to bypass mobs for soloing or ganking people in PvP from stealth)

Now, in most PvP situations this skill is abused to make up for sins' lack of knowledge of their class, they get into a tight spot and disappear to kill their assailant with little to no resistance, this is an effective method, but requires little to no actual skill, only level.

However in PvE this skill has a few notable uses

Ex1. In some cases you will be in a squad where nobody has Earthflame on their genie, well using this skill you can pull bosses or mobs without it... It requires teamwork and communication though...

Method: You remember that fancy ranged skill called knife throw? Well toss one at the target and run towards your squad, or passed your squad, now, the barb grabs the wanted mob (or boss) and ONLY that mob. The sin then uses his Shadow ESCAPE to force himself into stealth, the other un-wanted mobs will reset to their original positions leaving the poor mob you were pulling without his buddies for reinforcements. The biggest thing with this is knowing WHICH mob is the target, and the cleric MUST NOT heal the sin until AFTER mobs reset.

Ex 2. Chi, it gives 1 spark when you cast it.

Ex 3. There are a couple of times when you will need to stealth passed mobs to clear a path or kill mobs in a group of others, this can be used then to get away from surrounding mobs once you kill the target

Ettiquette
As long as they've been out, Assassins have been hated and rudiculed for their impatient, uncooperative, and arrogant behavior., but this is not the entire race, which people fail to see. This is the ignorant players who powerleveled their sin and didn't take the time to learn their class, and somehow think that they're the ultimate killing machines who need no team to back them. Unfortunately this is the truth in my server more than any. But learning to be a calm and cooperative team playing Assassin is the best part of being the class because there's nothing a faction loves better than a considerate and skilled assassin (baww to the stuck up sins). Here are a few tips to help better yourself in parties as well as social behavior:

-Rib strike tough mobs and bosses often. This skill not only does a good eal of damage, but it's effect slow the target's attack speed. :D
-Chill of the Deep: This I can't stress enough. I know slow movement SUCKS, but it helps the cleric not have to spam revive on your ***.
-Listen to the team: Respect other's thoughts and opinions. Since your still new, more experienced players can know your class better than you do. Don't be an annoying death magnet.
-Don't be a ****! There's nothing we love more than a pain in the *** know-it-all sin that want's to own the group.
-DO NOT, annoy the cleric for help or resurrection...I know a few who'll just send up an S.O.S. firework and leave you dead.
-Don't be afraid to ask experienced Assassins for advice. Sure some are a pain, but many are more than happy to help you with any troubles you have with your class. Just ask. :D
-MY BIGGEST PEICE OF ADVICE-

I know ithat the thought of jumping thirty levels instantly is extremely tempting, but if you want to be a successful sin, please invest time into your class and learn the ropes as much as possible. Honestly, I chose to leap at the offer at level 25 and I can say without a doucbt I regret not taking the time to learn my class. Though I now know my class very well and I love it over all others, It's a very bad decision to powerlevel at early levels. If you feel you must, do it at 75+ (70 at the lowest).
Post edited by DemShadow - Raging Tide on

Comments

• DemShadow - Raging Tide
    edited July 2012
    I know it's small, but I'll try to put more work into it later.
  • Geshwur - Raging Tide
    Geshwur - Raging Tide Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited July 2012

-Rib strike tough mobs and bosses often. This skill not only does a good deal of damage, but it's effect slow the target's attack speed. :D

This IS good advice, I would like to point out however, that as far as our skills go, it's somewhere around the middle in terms of damage. Though, it IS a great skill for tough bosses and mobs as it does have that debuff
    -Chill of the Deep: This I can't stress enough. I know slow movement SUCKS, but it helps the cleric not have to spam revive on your ***.

At lower levels, a sin shouldn't pull aggro off a barb, in fact, using chill of the deep at low intervals will undoubtably lead to skill spamming, which with a Jones Blessing (Which endgame is a MUST for sins, and is entirely free) is going to make a low level sin MORE likely to steal aggro (similar to how black voodoo from a psy pulls aggro like a **** at low levels) at higher APS closer to endgame when you WILL pull aggro without it, and can't handle that aggro this IS VERY good advice however.
    -Don't be afraid to ask experienced Assassins for advice. Sure some are a pain, but many are more than happy to help you with any troubles you have with your class. Just ask. :D

I'm on RT also, and am more than willing to give advice to other sins who truly want to know their class.
    -MY BIGGEST PEICE OF ADVICE-

I know ithat the thought of jumping thirty levels instantly is extremely tempting, but if you want to be a successful sin, please invest time into your class and learn the ropes as much as possible. Honestly, I chose to leap at the offer at level 25 and I can say without a doucbt I regret not taking the time to learn my class. Though I now know my class very well and I love it over all others, It's a very bad decision to powerlevel at early levels. If you feel you must, do it at 75+ (70 at the lowest).

This. Powerlevelling is... Well... Pleh... ._.

I would also like to point out some other skills

Rising Dragon Strike - Requires target, also gives you chi as well as an immobilize effect on target, good to prevent running mobs from running.

Tackling Slash - Another target chi skill

Over-grown supply of control skills - Any skill that says sleep/seal/stun/immobilize/slow etc. Well, these each have their own use, use them when needed. You'll have to learn the best one to use in each situation...

Bloodpaint - High level sin's best friend for survivability, returns HP based on damage done

Tidal Protection and Focused Mind - If BP is a sin's best friend, then these two skills are his mistresses. Evade negative status effects or damage respectively.

Subsea - If you're not the main DD and tank then the squad is going to want you using this EVERY chance you get on bosses, gives an amplification effect to damage dealt to boss, at level 10, that's a full 30% extra damage, when timed well with HF and a veno's amplify the squad's DPS goes through the roof.

Earthen Rift - An AoE skill, and arguably one of the sin's hardest damaging skills.

Knife Throw - To the average sin this is treated as just a ranged attack, but it is imperative to remember that this skill has an interrupt effect, meaning that when timed correctly it can save a squad from a boss's purge or AoE damage if you know when to use it and what bosses CAN be interrupted. (There is one boss you'll encounter [Hopefully for the first time around level 80] that you do NOT want to use this skill on to interrupt...)

and finally... The most hated skill a sin has, but can be used strategically in some situations....

Shadow ESCAPE... (not Shadow Walk, it has fewer practical uses other than abusing to bypass mobs for soloing or ganking people in PvP from stealth)

Now, in most PvP situations this skill is abused to make up for sins' lack of knowledge of their class, they get into a tight spot and disappear to kill their assailant with little to no resistance, this is an effective method, but requires little to no actual skill, only level.

Ex1. In some cases you will be in a squad where nobody has Earthflame on their genie, well using this skill you can pull bosses or mobs without it... It requires teamwork and communication though...

Method: You remember that fancy ranged skill called knife throw? Well toss one at the target and run towards your squad, or passed your squad, now, the barb grabs the wanted mob (or boss) and ONLY that mob. The sin then uses his Shadow ESCAPE to force himself into stealth, the other un-wanted mobs will reset to their original positions leaving the poor mob you were pulling without his buddies for reinforcements. The biggest thing with this is knowing WHICH mob is the target, and the cleric MUST NOT heal the sin until AFTER mobs reset.

Ex 3. There are a couple of times when you will need to stealth passed mobs to clear a path or kill mobs in a group of others, this can be used then to get away from surrounding mobs once you kill the target
    Current Gears
    pwcalc.com/90f636550cbd5beb
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This IS good advice, I would like to point out however, that as far as our skills go, it's somewhere around the middle in terms of damage. Though, it IS a great skill for tough bosses and mobs as it does have that debuff

At lower levels, a sin shouldn't pull aggro off a barb, in fact, using chill of the deep at low intervals will undoubtably lead to skill spamming, which with a Jones Blessing (Which endgame is a MUST for sins, and is entirely free) is going to make a low level sin MORE likely to steal aggro (similar to how black voodoo from a psy pulls aggro like a **** at low levels) at higher APS closer to endgame when you WILL pull aggro without it, and can't handle that aggro this IS VERY good advice however.

I'm on RT also, and am more than willing to give advice to other sins who truly want to know their class.

This. Powerlevelling is... Well... Pleh... ._.

I would also like to point out some other skills

Rising Dragon Strike - Requires target, also gives you chi as well as an immobilize effect on target, good to prevent running mobs from running.

Tackling Slash - Another target chi skill

you switched around tackling and rds for the record
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kamukaze
    kamukaze Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi.
    Some ideas to chill of the deep. I'm sure that you misstyped but it doesnt make your movement speed lower, it lowers your attack speed, but your dph will stronger. Its really annoying when i read everywhere that it helps to sins in agro control. I think its totally fail. If you wanna deal the most dmg (and what does a dd want?) you need survive at least 1 hit from boss. Then if you realise that you have the agro, do shadow escape->you can dd again. What if you steal agro again? Stop hit the boss, wait 10-15sec and use shadow walk->dd again... This way you deal 4-5x more dmg than with cotd. Ok it doesnt work at (?) bosses but i never used CoTD for reducing my damage. Better i put on a lower dagger and let autoattack on xD edit: you have to deal maximum amount of dmg, if you reach it just simply stop hit ->let the tank generate some agro, but put on cotd on and deal 1/3 dmg of your potential is really lazy and i think not fair to the teammates.
    I mean if you dd well then boss dies faster. Then healer need to use less mana pots, tank has lower repair bill and so on. So if you want to be a team player then i suggest dont use chill for lowerig dmg reason
    Again, chill is good for increase your dmg, at least when you have to do some aoes you dont feel yourself so useless. Maybe its good in pk too but i duel like once in a year so i havent much experience in that
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Now this is a cute attempt to reduce noobness in Assassin population.

I support this b:victoryb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
    edited July 2012
    Now this is a cute attempt to reduce noobness in Assassin population.

I support this b:victoryb:victory

Thanks, honestly I had alot more to post but we all get tired at 3 in the morning don't we? And I'm concerned with the amount of nab sins in the game so happy to try and help newcomers. :D
  • Geshwur - Raging Tide
    edited July 2012
    witniss wrote: »
    you switched around tackling and rds for the record

I was tired ._. It was like... 2 or 3 am b:surrender
    Current Gears
    edited July 2012

Mid-higher yes, but for a low-mid level sin it's a skill spam move seeing as it's damage is almost on par with slipstream, which of course is our best friend at low-mid levels.

The purpose of putting Chill here is to teach them to control their aggro at any level. Though this is a newbie guide, they still should know aggro control for future levels. Although I see you point and appreciate it.

Your a baws ._.
  • witniss
    edited July 2012
    ima pretty pro sin tbh ill give advice aswell
    alot of sins use occult genies but i prefer a vitmag i have 86 vit 80 mag on my genie with ep faith top will surge fortify ad
    woops that was more high lvl advice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ima pretty pro sin tbh ill give advice aswell
    alot of sins use occult genies but i prefer a vitmag i have 86 vit 80 mag on my genie with ep faith top will surge fortify ad
    woops that was more high lvl advice

Then lets make it for middle lvls.

Most assassins here agree that genies should be given points to VIT and MAG to Increase their Energy meter and Recovery Rate so they can spam their various skills.

DemShadow Tackling Slash immobilizes foes , Rising Dragon Strike is the Simple chi gaining attack.

Also search various threads. There you will fiind info for good simple genie skills that are useful at lower lvls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    RDS also is an Assassin's 100% accuracy skill, and is the only skill possible to land a hit on a GM b:avoid

Also rift is an Assassin's hardest hitting skill with a G16 +12. This out-damages level 11 Headhunt, though barely. It also has an 8 second cooldown and requires no sparks. On top of that it's AoE. I love to rift. But the downside is that it doesn't do anything else other than damage.
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • witniss
    edited July 2012
    Then lets make it for middle lvls.

Most assassins here agree that genies should be given points to VIT and MAG to Increase their Energy meter and Recovery Rate so they can spam their various skills.

DemShadow Tackling Slash immobilizes foes , Rising Dragon Strike is the Simple chi gaining attack.

Also search various threads. There you will fiind info for good simple genie skills that are useful at lower lvls.

meh i see tons of sins with str genie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JinxRake - Momaganon
    JinxRake - Momaganon Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have a 67/90 Genie, with 90 Str, 42 Vit and 12 Mag. I go after the idea that it's better to have more at once, than little over time. My first genie was 102 Mag and it didn't really do anything for me as the healing was pathetic from Second Wind and the Tangling Mire didn't help much.

I guess it depends on what you prefer really. My next worthy genie I may make into a Mag/Vit type...but I kinda doubt I'll be getting anything interesting anytime soon.

My Gf got a 84/90 Genie b:surrender by not even trying. I'm on my 10th genie trying to get something good.
  • Geshwur - Raging Tide
    edited July 2012
    meh i see tons of sins with str genie

Str genies are usually mid-high levels, high strength (something like 80 I believe) lets you be the same interval as demon spark w/ relentless courage, it also works for tangle mire to give a higher debuff %.
    Current Gears
  • kamukaze
    kamukaze Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally i have a dex genie now with 80dex but i aim somehow with accessorys+restat 100+dex,couse extreme poison and movement speed. I use in pve at most cases. At 80 dex lasts 14sec, my spark lasts 15sec, so its really good for me that i can keep the boss amped for long time. In squads i always discuss with teammates and ask them let me use poison.
    If i will have +1 sec max speed maybe helps in run through instances.
    I have on current genie :poison,mire,AD (not stat dependend), holy path and second wind just for if i get unexpected high hit. Yea i know w/o str it sucks, but better than nothing + i hadnt any idea for better asssaver skill for last