Merchanting/ Money Making Tips?

Options
Heybriefzy - Raging Tide
Heybriefzy - Raging Tide Posts: 17 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
What are some Merchanting/ Money Making Tips?
Post edited by Heybriefzy - Raging Tide on

Comments

• silvergsx
    silvergsx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

Marry rich...
  • Heybriefzy - Raging Tide
    Heybriefzy - Raging Tide Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    silvergsx wrote: »
    Marry rich...

Id like a helpful post please.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Options
    WarrenWolfy put a really good guide out once.
    This question has also been asked like a thousand times already. Try looking around.

Basically, find a market, buy low, sell high, don't spend all your profit. It's not rocket science.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Search button plox.

http://pwinsider.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/warrenwolfys-guide-to-merchanting-part-0/

CBA to write another wall of text.
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Options

Yep, that's the guide I was referring to. I wasn't going to put the effort into doing the OP's work for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I've posted the link to that guide myself so many freakin' times now, I almost know the URL by heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Merching is dead. You used to be able to make the equivalent of $10-$12 an hour farming mats. PWE has actively made making money in-game much more difficult. They want you to charge your credit card. Seeing how grinding or farming will make you a dollar or two an hour, you're better off getting a part time job than wasting in-game time for slave labor rates....
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Merching is dead. You used to be able to make the equivalent of $10-$12 an hour farming mats. PWE has actively made making money in-game much more difficult. They want you to charge your credit card. Seeing how grinding or farming will make you a dollar or two an hour, you're better off getting a part time job than wasting in-game time for slave labor rates....
    thats WHY there is merchanting.. for those of us who dont wanna get off our behinds and labor away. Merchanting is not farming, at least what the OP is refering to when saying that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    thats WHY there is merchanting.. for those of us who dont wanna get off our behinds and labor away. Merchanting is not farming, at least what the OP is refering to when saying that.

Yeah, you can have one or two catshops running twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. You'd still make more coin by getting a part time job for minimum wage and charging.
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Merching is dead.

The catshops in west arch would beg to differ, but they're too busy making profits to bother.
    You used to be able to make the equivalent of $10-$12 an hour farming mats.

And gold prices were what, 100-200k? Those days are gone, yes. Find another source of income. Like, oh, idunno... actually merchanting? Farming is a different story from merching.
    Seeing how grinding or farming will make you a dollar or two an hour, you're better off getting a part time job than wasting in-game time for slave labor rates....

Yup. Meanwhile, my catshop can make that dollar or two over a day or so of selling, with me spending maybe 10-20 minutes of effort maintaining it throughout that day. Still below minimum wage, but the time expended on merchanting is low enough for me that I can do pretty much whatever else I please while the profit gets made. A lot of the time, I AM working for money while my catshop makes coin. It's just that the catshop makes enough coin that I no longer need to spend my wages on buying zen.

(BTW, a buck or two buys 1.4--3.0 million coin; that's pretty darn good grinding and farming, I'm told, if you can manage it in a single hour. I'd still not spend that hour doing it, myself, but tastes differ.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • hazmatz
    hazmatz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Merchanting profitably can be just as time consuming as farming or a real job. There is a ton of competition and less (proportionately) customers all the time.

That said, find something not many people are selling but that is still in demand. Buy low, sell high, yadda yadda.....

(Great example above, catshop running all day makes 1-3mil per day. At that rate you're looking at about 2 years running a computer 24 hours a day to get a set of rank 9 gear, before shards and refines. Another 2-3 years to fully shard and refine it, at current prices and assuming income/cost stays constant. 2 years ago it was possible to make 20-100mil per day farming or merchanting by doing it well, because there were so few able to and so many customers, now it is the opposite. To each their own, but to me, merchanting isn't even worth the electricity anymore.)
  • gouraudpalm2
    gouraudpalm2 Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Merchanting is so dead. just pay some dollars to instawin.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    hazmatz wrote: »
    Merchanting profitably can be just as time consuming as farming or a real job.

Respectfully, if merchanting takes that much time investment you're doing something wrong.
    Great example above, catshop running all days makes 1-3mil per day. At that rate you're looking at about 2 years running a computer 24 hours a day to get a set of rank 9 gear, before shards and refines. Another 2-3 years to fully shard and refine it

More like, if you want to merchant up rank 9 --- the ultimate end-game gear set --- then you'll want to do MUCH better at merchanting than me. That shouldn't be hard, because I'm a very mediocre merchant and I'm not even interested in getting rank 9 by any method.

Yeah, I know I won't ever get full R9 +12 doing any of the things I'm currently doing in-game. I don't personally care; if I did, I'd work on doing something else, or on getting vastly better at what I do do. For what I am interested in achieving in-game, my very modest merchanting income still far outstrips any coin I could make by grinding or farming, and is enough for my needs.
  • setantasrose
    setantasrose Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    hazmatz wrote: »
    Merchanting profitably can be just as time consuming as farming or a real job. There is a ton of competition and less (proportionately) customers all the time.

It takes about 5~10 minutes to check competing prices, the AH, find a decent spot, and finally set the shop down. (And even then, you still have to keep looking at your competitors to see if they've adjusted the price so you get screwed over.)

On the other hand, it takes about 3~5 minutes to swipe your credit card and get whatever you need.
    Boom-shakalaka!
  • hazmatz
    hazmatz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Respectfully, if merchanting takes that much time investment you're doing something wrong.

It's all about what you consider profitable. The only people I know who have gotten rich from merchanting started years ago, or spend most of their day buying/selling/spamming wc/farming and doing anything else that will bring coin. It's easy to make a couple gold a day, but to get the high end PvP gear at endgame will take years at that rate.

The point here is that with WarrenWolfy's method it was totally possible to merchant up a full set of endgame gear in a decent amount of time, that is no longer really the case. Hence people saying "merchanting is dead". I wouldn't go that far, but it isn't nearly the same as it once was.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    There are merchants out there that put my full set of r9 to shame. Then there are people... who just doesn't have a clue and blab that everything is dead. And of course... farming has to be even more dead. Cause there is just no way an archer like me can make 100+ million farming maybe 1-2 hours over an 2x weekend. Brains > hard work > all the other babbling idiots.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    It takes about 5~10 minutes to check competing prices, the AH, find a decent spot, and finally set the shop down. (And even then, you still have to keep looking at your competitors to see if they've adjusted the price so you get screwed over.)

On the other hand, it takes about 3~5 minutes to swipe your credit card and get whatever you need.

A credit card that is useless or will cause you to be screwed if you're unable to pay for what you charge with it.... which means hours of work IRL assuming you have to deal with things like bills, food, etc. If you're just mooching off mommy's purse from your room in the basement because you don't want to go to school or you're still underage then you have no right to be participating in this discussion.
  • gyroki
    gyroki Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    There are merchants out there that put my full set of r9 to shame. Then there are people... who just doesn't have a clue and blab that everything is dead. And of course... farming has to be even more dead. Cause there is just no way an archer like me can make 100+ million farming maybe 1-2 hours over an 2x weekend. Brains > hard work > all the other babbling idiots.

Don't believe everything what ppl write in forum lol. There are ppl here who wrote thousands for posts (often very long guides and so on) and are in forum whole day long. And still tell others that "they are at work" and earn serveral hundreds of dollars per day. They also pretend that they only spent a view mins every day in game.

Only a gullible kid would believe everything they write. Let them believe their dreams. It's so obvious that all of them lie. At least they can feel like winners in a mmo forum.

And yes, you have to invest more time for merchanting than for farming if you have already proper toons to farm with. Just check it for fun. Make a shop at any time close to another well known shop and undercut the price abit. It won't take more than 10mins and they will also change their price. I've often the feeling that those ppl really never sleep, go outside or work (and I'm sure I'm close to truth with this assumption).

Many full R9/full JoSD/full +12 ppl I know admitted years ago that they spent thousands of dollars. Nowadays the very same ppl will tell you that they are F2P gamer.
  • truekossy
    edited July 2012
    Options
    gyroki wrote: »
    *snip*

People like you make me so happy for the misinformation spread that allows me to spend 5-10 minutes per day on a catshop that gives me profits while I go off and do other things.
  • Hot_pho - Heavens Tear
    Hot_pho - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    the full r9 josd +12 might have saved their shards from when dod were 3-4m. i remembered i bought some back then for my end game gear it is still obtainable but way more expensive. if you do your dailies even you shoudl get a couple mil per day. cube/events/treasure hunter/bh. for r9 and +12 they might farm/ merch and save up money till sale then buy it. you dont have to play 24 hr to get it . you just have to have a kitty shop on for 24 hr. lol i believe they can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    special thanks to silvy for the sig
  • silvergsx
    silvergsx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    A credit card that is useless or will cause you to be screwed if you're unable to pay for what you charge with it.... which means hours of work IRL assuming you have to deal with things like bills, food, etc.

FYI credit card bills skyrockets when you start dating... first hand experience.
  • truekossy
    edited July 2012
    Options
    silvergsx wrote: »
    FYI credit card bills skyrockets when you start dating... first hand experience.

Never had that experience. The fact that I avoid all the credit card offers and such I get sent probably helps with that. That, and the fact that I'm not a guy (muchless one that spends all his money on whichever girl he's dating). That helps too.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    gyroki wrote: »
    (nonsense)

People like you make me so happy for the misinformation spread that allows me to spend 5-10 minutes per day on a catshop that gives me profits while I go off and do other things.

Some people say merchanting hinges on knowing some kind of secrets. This is, of course, not true. Merchanting is a no-hidden-information game; it's more like chess, less like poker.

Merchanting in actuality hinges on other people being one or more of lazy, greedy, misinformed, and stupid. Catering to other players' laziness and greed can bring a steady but small-ish (because heavily competed for) income stream; finding that rare other player who's misinformed and/or stupid can make for big spikes of profit. If one is callous enough to exploit them, anyway.

I sincerely hope not too many others get misled by the likes of gyroki, because I'd feel terrible about fleecing people who've been deluded by a third party. But I'd happily separate the misleaders themselves from their money.

Either way, I'll be making a profit. It's just a matter of how big a one, how quickly.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Outside of farming and merchanting there are events which I somewhat specialize in.

For example the assault on archo event today will spawn 10 bosses that each drop a badge of bravery. 10 badges of bravery is worth like 80m or so atm. A few of the molds they drop sell for 5m+. Knowing the schedule of the boss spawns is key to beating out the competition.

If you win the the tiger event on mondays you can get a dod or lunar ornament like once a month (only takes 15 mins a week to do it). There's an easy 30m.

Dragon temple has 5 chests with rare pet scrolls that can sell for like 30-50m each. Not many people are able to kill the mobs that guard these though. Also there are lots of chests that have bikinis in them that sell for about 1m each (me and my alt can farm about 30 bikinis in 15 minutes or so since I've mapped most of the chests).

Jungle ruins has a belt and 5 * 99 celestial insig rewards prizes if you finish with the correct combination. I run it on 4-5 characters and can get most of them. I walk away with around 40m worth of loot for 1hr of work.

Wednesday is CoA which is boring. You get like 4-8m for 30 minutes of work (selling rings and OBP). I usually skip this one.

Thursday is the PK tournament which on my server has turned into a click fest for chests. The gold chest at the end is worth 30m. On my server getting it is mostly dependant on the speed of your mouse and internet connection though.

These tips won't work for every one but it shows there are lots more ways to make money in game than traditional Nirv / TT farming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • FragiIe - Dreamweaver
    FragiIe - Dreamweaver Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

she is lvl 26..if he/she wants to make major coin credit card is the way to go...the catshops in west mostly have high $ items
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    That, and the fact that I'm not a guy (muchless one that spends all his money on whichever girl he's dating). That helps too.

What do you say to dinner and a movie with me, Kossy? b:cute
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

Its hard to make money with catshops unless you start out with enough money to begin with. One way to get that initial capital is grinding for high value mats, which is easy at your level. Hay, Purified Oil and Leather are easy to get in the 30s and can be sold for over 20k on auction though it helps to wait until the auction is empty of those at the time you auction. Which does add to the work. If you want the highest prices for hay you have to sell it with a buy now price in lots of 20 for the people wanting to get an extra pet bag slot fast.

I know a person who grinded the money for all their fashion, mounts and flyers during the 30s by grinding for mats. But it does take a lot of time and this person was dumping experience into her genie to stay in the 30s until she got all the money she wanted.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • templeslave
    templeslave Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Outside of farming and merchanting there are events which I somewhat specialize in.

For example the assault on archo event today will spawn 10 bosses that each drop a badge of bravery. 10 badges of bravery is worth like 80m or so atm. A few of the molds they drop sell for 5m+. Knowing the schedule of the boss spawns is key to beating out the competition.

If you win the the tiger event on mondays you can get a dod or lunar ornament like once a month (only takes 15 mins a week to do it). There's an easy 30m.

Dragon temple has 5 chests with rare pet scrolls that can sell for like 30-50m each. Not many people are able to kill the mobs that guard these though. Also there are lots of chests that have bikinis in them that sell for about 1m each (me and my alt can farm about 30 bikinis in 15 minutes or so since I've mapped most of the chests).

Jungle ruins has a belt and 5 * 99 celestial insig rewards prizes if you finish with the correct combination. I run it on 4-5 characters and can get most of them. I walk away with around 40m worth of loot for 1hr of work.

Wednesday is CoA which is boring. You get like 4-8m for 30 minutes of work (selling rings and OBP). I usually skip this one.

Thursday is the PK tournament which on my server has turned into a click fest for chests. The gold chest at the end is worth 30m. On my server getting it is mostly dependant on the speed of your mouse and internet connection though.

These tips won't work for every one but it shows there are lots more ways to make money in game than traditional Nirv / TT farming.

Unfortunately, most of those events can't be won by a noob with crappy gear. Most of the people who usually ask for merchanting help are noobs with crappy gear.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options

This.

I spent a day writing a spreadsheet that pretty much automatons the whole thinking process. All I need is to make the decision whether something is profitable enough or not. Similarly I know exactly how much coin I have at any time because of the few spreadsheets I made.

And I made the spreadsheets because it was tiring to do the same simple math on my cellphone over and over again. Plus it's less prone to errors.

And the only reason I ever even do the math is to see just how much profit there is to be made. Most of the time you could buy Gold from the AH at the price they're buying, buy whatever the catshops are selling and sell it at their price for a profit.

The top spots on all classes are taken either by R9s or by 5aps +10-12 folk. I don't think those are the kind of people who ask for help with merchanting.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • CritCat - Archosaur
    CritCat - Archosaur Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    There is no merchanting, there is CS.b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/b6540a34278d977d
    Current Wizard Build:
    pwcalc.com/068f7e40791a3be6