Better Catabarb Weapon?

2»

Comments

• shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Without doing any math and basically a complete guess, I am going to go out on a limb and say N3 with full JoSD +12 would be better for a cata barb than R91 +12 full JoSD.

If not based on stats, then based on looks. Nirvy looks better than rank 9 to me.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    G16 is G16: Does not refine higher. Get the same 2250 per G16 Piece at +12.

The bigger picture is that defense levels are better than base stats.

Off the top of my head:

The following abilities that directly drop N3's Better Base Stats:
    Glacial Spike (50% of both) [Yes, I will GS a catabarb who is already HFed]
    Undine (Water, Fire, Earth 60%)
    Elemental Seal (40% Mag)
    Dimensional Seal (35% Phys) [I dont know why Clerics would use this in TW, but Ive seen it...]
    Penetrate Armor (35/45% Phys)
    Devour (50% Phys)
    Ironwood Scarab (40% Phys)
    Creeper (20% to both) [Yes...I see it in TW. Its kinda hillarious but effective at times]
    Mire (typically 40% Phys)

The following abilities lower defense levels:
    Gemini Slash: 10

With N3's 9% greater Pdef and Mdef, with which the PWPedia math explains actually works out to 5% in a fight, it's smarter to take the 9 Def levels from R9. So now even purging all that ****...does not make it better.

Maximizing cost effectiveness, unless you're a really lucky SoB, R9 is cheaper if you are going for full sockets and bonuses...even when half *** estimating weighted positively for N3.

Don't devolve the convo Wnb. Do the full math if you want to actually make an impact, instead of coming off trolly.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I already did the math and for cost-effectiveness and everything total for armor. R9 > N3.

The difference in the "sharding advantage of g16" is that r9 WEAPONS refine g14 instead of g16 which nirvana does which is irrelevant to a catabarb as they really aren't attacking anything.

R9 Armor slotted with josd is the best option.

It's weapon that I was curious about for the add-on effects (In case fuzz STILL doesn't get what I'm talking about.)

And I think the general agreement from people I've asked and forums is R8R is a better choice because of the chance to get up to 30 defense levels +josd the weapon.
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You wanna do the math of how big difference there is in 10 defense levels when defense levels close to 100? I can tell you, it`s not much, it`s pretty damn little. And if you get whole faction on you to truly utilize debuffs, you`re dead anyways. The point where survivability matters is when you need to or dont need to use CDs. And I suspect it`s obvious you`re gonna use CD when you are getting focused in any major way.

What you are doing is completely neglecting N3 vana and intentionally trying to make R9 look better than it is.If you want me to actually take the math provided seriously, it should be done seriously, not in halfassed manner filled with prejudice. Though I suppose youre view should triumph on publics opinion as it does indeed be advantageous to me if others go for suboptimal gear choices.

Cost effectiveness, You`re not adding sockets. You stick with what you roll till you can afford better ones. For low end player filling the 24 sockets with end game shards might well take a year. It doesnt matter if one rolls 2 socket overall as they cant afford to really shard it anyways. Or refine for that matter.

So you can stick your socket costs where sun doesnt shine as they are, mostly irrelevant for low end players. Middle ground, who can somewhat afford shards in reasonable time, may find R9 advantageous. The ones who dont care bout costs find sockets more or less irrelevant, they just CS more for the stones and make them 4 soc.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
    edited July 2012
    I think this thread got derailed from my original question which I have deemed answered and this thread can be closed now. People are talking about irrelevant things to my first post. (Including a Mod... /facepalm)
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

• cheapengineer
    cheapengineer Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fuzzywuzz wrote: »
    wow.. Lots Of Fantastical Calc Builds But Forgetting The Basic Theory Of Playing A Barb. Suggests To Fuzzy That Perhaps In Asking It Is Just A Barb Alt To Pull Cata For A Faction That Does Not Have Enough Of The True Species.

Neither R8r Or R9 Is Needed At All.

This Panda Has A Mere Shabby Set Of G13 Nirv With A Mix +7 ~ +10 With Josd And Actually Has Experience Playing His Class. With A Good Genie, Apoth And And Actual Knowledge Of The Class, A Barb Does Not Need Either R8r Or R9 To Withstand The Others Out There Roaming The World With Their +12 R9.

Pulling Cata Not Need Op Gear, It Needs A Barb That Knows Wtf They Are Doing. B:bye

Edit: And If You Think Weapon Means Anything At All When Pulling, Please Delete Any Barb You May Have Asap.

Preach It Brother
  • cheapengineer
    cheapengineer Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I already did the math and for cost-effectiveness and everything total for armor. R9 > N3.

The difference in the "sharding advantage of g16" is that r9 WEAPONS refine g14 instead of g16 which nirvana does which is irrelevant to a catabarb as they really aren't attacking anything.

R9 Armor slotted with josd is the best option.

It's weapon that I was curious about for the add-on effects (In case fuzz STILL doesn't get what I'm talking about.)

And I think the general agreement from people I've asked and forums is R8R is a better choice because of the chance to get up to 30 defense levels +josd the weapon.

When you say "add on effects" I assume you mean Recast properties, but in case you don't...

It was my experience that any weapon proc effects were rather useless, the base vit and HP of the weapon were the primary concern (and what you sharded it with). In my low-budget cata pulling days I had a R8 "egg on a stick" sharded with Vit to swap out for my regular weapon. I assume endgame is the same way - whatever has the most Vit/HP/Magdef as a static weapon.

I spent my time balancing invoke, IG, solid shield, beastial rage, and other genie skills to stay alive. OHT magic rings loaded with VIT and refined up for mag def were damn handy as well. When on the crystal, I tried to stay as far away (and hidden inside the cata) as possible, so that makes it impossible to attack anything.

That doesn't mean a nice devour and demon roar on that sin that thinks he can APS me to death is out of the question...

Wish I knew the top end weapons well enough to give you an exact *THAT ONE*, but that's what I would look for.

Red
    edited July 2012
    When you say "add on effects" I assume you mean Recast properties, but in case you don't...

It was my experience that any weapon proc effects were rather useless, the base vit and HP of the weapon were the primary concern (and what you sharded it with). In my low-budget cata pulling days I had a R8 "egg on a stick" sharded with Vit to swap out for my regular weapon. I assume endgame is the same way - whatever has the most Vit/HP/Magdef as a static weapon.

I spent my time balancing invoke, IG, solid shield, beastial rage, and other genie skills to stay alive. OHT magic rings loaded with VIT and refined up for mag def were damn handy as well. When on the crystal, I tried to stay as far away (and hidden inside the cata) as possible, so that makes it impossible to attack anything.

That doesn't mean a nice devour and demon roar on that sin that thinks he can APS me to death is out of the question...

Wish I knew the top end weapons well enough to give you an exact *THAT ONE*, but that's what I would look for.

Red
    Of course I was referring to the passive effects not any active procs. Such as mdef vit def level etc. Which R8Recast gives. R9 is a nice offensive weapon I suppose if you were a backup catabarb and wanted to arma going for a zerk crit or something. But anyways I'm going with R8R would be the best weapon for the add-ons. for "end game".

/Close Thread plox.
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

• SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    Wow.. lots of fantastical calc builds but forgetting the basic theory of playing a barb. Suggests to Fuzzy that perhaps in asking it is just a barb alt to pull cata for a faction that does not have enough of the true species.

Neither R8R or R9 is needed at all.

This panda has a mere shabby set of G13 nirv with a mix +7 ~ +10 with JoSD and actually has experience playing his class. With a good genie, apoth and and actual knowledge of the class, a barb does not need either R8R or R9 to withstand the others out there roaming the world with their +12 R9.

Pulling cata not need OP gear, it needs a barb that knows wtf they are doing. b:bye

edit: and if you think weapon means anything at all when pulling, please delete any barb you may have asap.
    Sorry to **** all over your guys parade, but THIS is pure 110% fact! b:bye
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sorry to **** all over your guys parade, but THIS is pure 110% fact! b:bye

3 month old necro to say "qft"?

Simply put, for cata barbs weapons become another piece of armor. Good vit, def levels, hp, other defense adds help catabarbs. They don't "make" a catabarb but they do help.

Still, catapulling is largely skill based and experience. All 40k barbs are not equal, and when we talk that much hp your weapon isn't gonna make a big difference.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • //Edwin// - Harshlands
    //Edwin// - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cata barb with a descent gear is really depends on how to use skills+pots+genie in the rigth time and place to survive longer to enable your catapult continously dealing with enemy crystal or tower. 2nd thing, is depends on your team too how they play and do they role.
  • slamstone
    slamstone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    r8 seems to be the best choice atm...but...and i just take a gamble here.....

the new wall guards ignore dmg reductions/some morai skills and psi skillz and dots ignore def lvls...so the question is....if all those factors are put in the equation is the blind full def or def r8 the best choice?

i personally believe in the def way (maybe some primeval to spice up defenses)....but....b:surrender

furthermore the dinasty expansion seems to be increasing the dot dmg

P.S. more to say about the new tower debuff...which i think (just a rumored guess) ignores def lvls
  • Deago - Lost City
    Deago - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    slamstone wrote: »
    r8 seems to be the best choice atm...but...and i just take a gamble here.....

the new wall guards ignore dmg reductions/some morai skills and psi skillz and dots ignore def lvls...so the question is....if all those factors are put in the equation is the blind full def or def r8 the best choice?

i personally believe in the def way (maybe some primeval to spice up defenses)....but....b:surrender

furthermore the dinasty expansion seems to be increasing the dot dmg

P.S. more to say about the new tower debuff...which i think (just a rumored guess) ignores def lvls

Necro b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nothing is true. Everything is Permitted.
    Ezio Auditore
  • BloodTyrant - Raging Tide
    BloodTyrant - Raging Tide Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    will this thread ever be closed? the answer to the thread was already given in the first pages, /end
  • SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    will this thread ever be closed? the answer to the thread was already given in the first pages, /end
    Barb forum is so dead they don't even monitor anymore. lol b:sad
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Barb forum is so dead they don't even monitor anymore. lol b:sad

b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard