PW is unstable

Merria - Heavens Tear
Merria - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Support Desk
Just a heads up to PW staff. I been unfortunatly away for 3-4 months. I returned today. New OS (windows 7) an your game has become extremely unstable. It needs fixing guys. Its become unplayble around heavily populated areas constant crashes in raging tides to a point i cant walk more than 5 foot with out it crashing. I will try and do some trouble shooting see if its a video card setting an i will also try windowed mode. Last time it was this bas was just after the packs where 1st released. Ill get back when or if i find anything.b:sad
Post edited by Merria - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i play on windows 7 home premium on a laptop 8GB with radeon hd 6650M 2GB on board. Not had a single crash even with settings at max, and in Arch on DW at US primetime, or in Raging Tide, earthguard or Morai (these areas which use upgraded models from the rest of the game).

You may want to check your graphic card drivers are up to date and try reducing settings for the newer regions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Heartz - Dreamweaver
    Heartz - Dreamweaver Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nope its after last expansion that the crashing began. i do believe soem specific hardware is more likely to do it than others. both fast and slow comps crash.. seems very random, most crashing are higher end tho.. atleast to what it looks like to my friends.
    105 - 105 - 105 (14th march 2014)

• XxXvixonXxX - Heavens Tear
    XxXvixonXxX - Heavens Tear Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    High end hmmm odd seen as I run on max settings on a high end spec comp and have no issues .
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    well it must be PW that is at fault. the fact that it works on our high end rigs must be an aberration. or magic. yes magic. Also playing it on my crappy old 9 year old laptop the game never crashed as i recall - ran slow at times sure but then I didnt try and run the game at max settings on a rig that couldnt cope with it.

I also took advice from others and checked my latest drivers and tried various settings when things did run slow on the old machine. Games are built for a pretty generic set of machines, they cannot and will not test on every conceivable combination of gear. It's not like consoles were every xbox is fundamentally the same (with slight revisions) so a game will play identically on each machine.

Post the output from your dxdiag so the support at least have something to go on - also raise a support ticket with the same details if you want a dedicated response. Forum responses to support are usually dealt with on a best effort basis by the staff, but ticket support queries will take priority.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, basically what everyone is saying here. I personally have run PWI on everything from the latest, to systems that barely even meet the system requirements. Sometimes, there's some changes that need to be made, but under everything from XP to Win8, and various Linux flavors over the past two years works just fine.

Therefore, it MUST be something with your system that is the issue, and not a problem with the client.

Feel free to post more information, and I'll be happy to look at it in my free time. You can submit a ticket as well, though our responses here tend to be a bit faster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • War_Dawg - Sanctuary
    War_Dawg - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am having the same issue with the client constantly crashing on windows 7. Now I know a lilte bit about computers and even though its a Dell, I have upgraded it in all the right places, its a 2.66Ghz dual core Pentiun D with 4 gigs of DDR2 ram and a 1 gig Nvidia pci express video card and all the drives are sata so its more then sufficient hardware wise to run the client. Now there are other people that live in the same apt that play pw so there are 3 or 4 computers that are XP that don't have any where near the amount of crashes as my windows 7 machine. I run my catshop on an older HP with XP and it can run for days without crashing. And yes I am running the latest Detonator drivers for the video card. Its gotten to the point that I don't want to play anymore because one too many times I have gotten all buffed up to go do something or solo a cave and I crash n lose my buffs, it makes it hard to be able to get anything accomplished.
  • shopitup
    shopitup Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    PWI itself is actually a fairly stable piece of software; the client will crash on me once in a quite long while, usually just straight out to the desktop without any further consequences. All my real problems with running it have been with the underlying software --- OS, video drivers, and so on. Most of those in turn have been due to my running it on Linux/Wine, which is unsupported for good reason.

On point, I'm another person who can run it on 64-bit windows 7 home without any issues. ATI 5570 and 4GB main RAM, so a lower-midrange machine here. I'd suggest running ccleaner or something, just to make sure the windows install isn't messed up somehow.
  • layme
    layme Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i crash every single time i enter arch or raging tides with my settings up. this started for me three patches ago. exactly. i have a high end system and it ran the game with little issue until that patch.

honestly with so many different systems that this is occuring on, i doubt it is our system. from what ive noticed a vast majority of ppl suffering this problem are on windows 7. this is not the first bug that pwi has developed that everyone including pwi staff that said it is on our end and then turns out is on theres.

it could be a security update in win7 that changed and pwi is so behind the times that they dont even konw their game isnt running right anymore. ive submitted two major bug reports recently and got a generic response that they will look into, not even fix what happened.

My System:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k 3.40GHz (OC'ed to 4.4GHZ)
    Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory: Dual Channel 16 GB DDR3 1833MHz
    Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS
    HDD 1:1TB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    HDD 2:3TB Western Digital Green w/Intellipower
    HDD 3:32GB OCZ Onyx Solid State Drive (current pwi drive)
    Network Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100
    GPU: 2x NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB in SLI (Current Driver 304.48, will be 304.79 shortly)
  • Merria - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    Lowering some of the video settings has eased it abit, flying around Arch is a no no tho seems too trigger it in an instant.

Yes my PC rather old but far from incapable of running it. Its technicly same PC hardware that ran it for last almost 4 years. Only diffrence is a new video card an OS.

Drivers upto date. Direct X is up to date. I tried compatibility mode for xp service pack 3. No joy

Its kinda frustrating tho.
    Layme did you update to newest drivers? If so any luck?

PC specs
    Intel core 2 Duo e6600 with a stable 24/7 overclock to 3.02ghz at 40c under load
    Win 7 home permium X64
    4 gb of ddr 3 ram
    GTX 550 ti at stock clock
    onboard sound

People that this is affecting are reoprting that its happened within the last few patches. Many people are not having a problem at all.
    Its them that are that need sorting out :P

Layme got enough horse power in his PC to run PW 8 times overb:laugh
  • Merria - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2012
    nvidia control panel settings

Ambient Occlusion not supported
    Aniostropic filtering x4
    Antialiasing FXAA on
    Antialiasing gamma correction on
    Antialiasing mode overide application setting
    Antialiasing transparency x8 supersample
    Cuda GPU's global (all)
    Maximum pre rendered frames (default 3)
    multi display/mixed gpu accel single display performance mode
    powermanagement mode adaptive
    texture filtering antistropic sample opti off
    texture filtering negative lod bias clamp
    texture filtering quality high quality
    texture filtering triliniear optimisation on
    threaded optimisation off (single thread app)
    triple buffering off
    texture filtering anisotropic filtering off
    vertical sync off
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Changing any of those settings from the default adapter settings is guaranteed to cause issues with the client. Even if you optimize them specifically for the client, it still screws it up. I spent a lot of time working with this, and working with the support staff on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bootlegger69
    bootlegger69 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    IDK I have had some people tell me its my Nvidia video card and that I need to get an ATI don't know if there is any truth to it but if I had the money I'd go buy 1
  • Slegtst - Dreamweaver
    Slegtst - Dreamweaver Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I use an ATI, but cant update it since it causes graphical issues. Only in PWI. >.>

Gonna try to search this subforum and find out wich update caused the graphical issues. So i can pick the one prior to that one.