high memory usage

sianalysse
sianalysse Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Support Desk
Untitledpwi.png

The client starts out quite low but it very quickly rises to the figure shown.

I have 4 gb ram plus 1gb on the nvidia gt 430 gfx card. The cpu is intel duo core 2.66.

I tried up dating gfx drivers re installing directx and verifying pwi files nothing changes - within a minute or so the memory usage maximises.

My game gfx are turned down also

Any suggestions as to whats going on or if more info is needed / wanted.
Post edited by sianalysse on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately, that is normal. PWI has some memory leaks.

Can't explain why though, maybe someone else will chime in. (Sylen xD?)
  • sianalysse
    edited July 2012
    The strange thing is I dont lag or crash. The only noticable effect is i sometimes get a black screen when multi client and swapping clients.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    sianalysse wrote: »
    The strange thing is I dont lag or crash. The only noticable effect is i sometimes get a black screen when multi client and swapping clients.

I believe that is normal as well, the other client (if you have it side by side) sort of "freezes" when you switch from client to client.

Edit: see this post http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16862171&postcount=2
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Yup all normal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sianalysse
    edited July 2012
    I dont think its normal for a game to use up every iota of memory within a minute or so of being logged in, I bought new ram for my pc a few month back and it wasnt doing it then. Its bloody sloppy is what it is - and the people responsible should fix up .. altho I dont crash or freeze, plenty of people appear to and ' turning distances down ' is not an acceptable fix. Thank you for your help but being disdained by pwe is finally starting to annoy me. Im playing a game in which people have to re log every ten minutes and the people responsible can have no pride in their work because they think its alright for people to have to continually downgrade their gaming enjoyment instead of Fixing Up.

Also, I cant choose the Game / Server etc on the ticket screen.
    edited July 2012
    Well look at it this way....

The game was never finished.

Way back when, Archosaur Group originally designed the game. When PW Beijing purchased the game from Archosaur Group, it was only about 1/4 completed.

PW Beijing then proceeded to fire off the original developers and bring in their own. As a result of this, much of the greatness of the game will never be realized. (The original plans called for 5 cities of the same expanse as Archosaur, and likely more classes. Heck, we're currently using only about 60% of the map.)

Also, because the current Dev team was not in the original code productions, they aren't familiar with how it works. Add to that that the Angelica engine is nearly 10 years old now, it isn't going to keep up with the advances in technology, and is prone to memory leaks that were commonplace at the time it was created.

As for not being able to submit a ticket, try a different browser like Chrome, or send an e-mail to customerservice@perfectworld.com. Remember that it takes 5-10 business days to get a live response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Memory leaks are a ***** to fix b:tired
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • sianalysse
    edited July 2012
    ok thats a better explanation and ty :)
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The thing is, when I'm in the exact place as her, my memory usage is about 25% of hers. Say if hers is 900 MB, mine would be 210ish MB

It's definitely not 'normal' but I don't expect pwe to fix it ever :p
    edited July 2012
    The thing is, when I'm in the exact place as her, my memory usage is about 25% of hers. Say if hers is 900 MB, mine would be 210ish MB

It's definitely not 'normal' but I don't expect pwe to fix it ever :p

Depends on where you were before. It doesn't unload things from memory very quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    edited July 2012
    Depends on where you were before. It doesn't unload things from memory very quickly.

We had both only just started the client; I thought that was the issue as well, so I'd asked her to restart the client and she instantly got 'insane' memory usage.

It's not like it makes her unable to play or anything like that, it's just very very odd.
    edited July 2012
    We had both only just started the client; I thought that was the issue as well, so I'd asked her to restart the client and she instantly got 'insane' memory usage.

It's not like it makes her unable to play or anything like that, it's just very very odd.

What I mean by where you were, is location.
    I can log into the game in Dragon's End, and it only uses about 600MB of RAM.
    If I log into the game in South Archosaur, it uses closer to 900MB.
    If I log into the game in West Archosaur, it uses about 1.2GB of RAM.

If I log into the game in Dragon's End with 600MB, then travel to Arch and get it loaded up to 1.2GB, and then travel back to Dragon's End, It does not unload the extra memory and remains up over a GB.

I cover this to an extent in a thread I started a while ago about the client crashing and the memory leak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azuraeclipse - Archosaur
    Azuraeclipse - Archosaur Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its normal for the game..

Its been happening since PWI got put out on the first day of playing. (i know because i was one of them a long time ago)

Its not normal for other games or other programs but is normal for PWI
    I Laugh in the face of danger, Then I hide until it goes away :3
  • sianalysse
    edited July 2012
    i personally think its down to individual components and set ups and an old gfx engi

I also played since first day of open beta and didnt have this problem till the new patch.
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    edited July 2012
    What I mean by where you were, is location.
    I can log into the game in Dragon's End, and it only uses about 600MB of RAM.
    If I log into the game in South Archosaur, it uses closer to 900MB.
    If I log into the game in West Archosaur, it uses about 1.2GB of RAM.

If I log into the game in Dragon's End with 600MB, then travel to Arch and get it loaded up to 1.2GB, and then travel back to Dragon's End, It does not unload the extra memory and remains up over a GB.

I cover this to an extent in a thread I started a while ago about the client crashing and the memory leak.

What I'm saying is this: We're both in the exact same location (in each others arms actually), both having just started the client. Her memory usage is about 4 times mine. I'm aware the game doesn't appear to properly free memory, but it seems in her case it allocates way more memory than it should.

I thought perhaps it wasn't utilizing the gfx card properly (i.e. D3D is storing all resources in the system memory pool for some reason), but it would seem odd that it wouldn't do the same for me. Biggest difference between our systems is that I'm using XP and she's using win7, which do have some differences in memory management I believe, although I was under the impression win7 would be an improvement :p
    edited July 2012
    What I'm saying is this: We're both in the exact same location (in each others arms actually), both having just started the client. Her memory usage is about 4 times mine. I'm aware the game doesn't appear to properly free memory, but it seems in her case it allocates way more memory than it should.

I thought perhaps it wasn't utilizing the gfx card properly (i.e. D3D is storing all resources in the system memory pool for some reason), but it would seem odd that it wouldn't do the same for me. Biggest difference between our systems is that I'm using XP and she's using win7, which do have some differences in memory management I believe, although I was under the impression win7 would be an improvement :p

Well yes, Windows 7 does handle memory managment much better, when it's dealing with software that is designed for multi-core processors. (Which is the majority of the software you would use on a Win7 machine.) Unfortunately, the aging engine for the client was written before dual-core processors were in anything but servers. Win7 tries to compensate, but the client refuses to operate on more than one core, no matter how you split it. (Trust me, I've tried.) With XP, this isn't an issue, but with Win7, some of the overhead is actually created by the OS. Running the client with admin rights alleviates this a bit. Running in XP compatibility mode will actually make it worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    Chrisssss - Sanctuary Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    +1 yeah I have an i7 gen processor and my computer is about......3 months old and I can't stay logged on for more than 10-20 mins without the game freeze than crash on me. I've quit the game and hoping that pwi would do something about the issue but seems like its a no go.