Cat Shop Nonstop

Options
kahushops
kahushops Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Hello guys .
I wanna know if its possible to keep up a cat shop for 24 hours / 24 wihout having the computer on . I see a lot of people stay in cat shops for 24/24. Do they really keep PC on for 24 hours or is a glitch ?
Post edited by kahushops on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I've had shops up from maintenance to maintenance without issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tc666
    tc666 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    On average, my PC is up and running always.
    Only thing i do is a reboot sometimes, never more then 10 times a year.
    And i dont have some supercomputer.

Also had a 24/7-maint catshop in the past. Only slight, very slight perfomance drops during this dueling.
  • shopitup
    shopitup Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    My PC's on whenever my catshop's up. I'm an old-school Unix/Linux user, I'm used to uptime competitions --- I see nothing wrong with never turning the machine off.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    kahushops wrote: »
    Hello guys .
    I wanna know if its possible to keep up a cat shop for 24 hours / 24 wihout having the computer on . I see a lot of people stay in cat shops for 24/24. Do they really keep PC on for 24 hours or is a glitch ?

you need to have your computer on to have a catshop open
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    you need to have your computer on to have a catshop open

Not necessarily. You know how when you crash your character stays in game until you relog? I've had blue screen of death or client crashes, come back up to 2 hours later on my main account and my catshop was still happily selling and buying.

Although I do wish PWI would enforce the 2 accounts per player rule more. Sanctuary is filled with people who have 5-10 catshops. You can literally watch the same people logging in alt after alt after alt when maintenance finishes and setup their 8 catshops and fill West or TT forges.

I also wish there was some penalty for length of catshoping. I see alot of people spend entire weeks without adjusting their catshops because why have reasonable prices on your items when it doesn't cost you to just hold the item forever. I mean, what is the point of having an AH for with a fee when you can just cause server lag and take weeks/months to sell something since it takes no effort to catshop.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • shopitup
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I also wish there was some penalty for length of catshoping. I see alot of people spend entire weeks without adjusting their catshops because why have reasonable prices on your items when it doesn't cost you to just hold the item forever. I mean, what is the point of having an AH for with a fee when you can just cause server lag and take weeks/months to sell something since it takes no effort to catshop.

There IS a penalty for such behavior. It's called "lost opportunity cost", as capital tied up that way makes no profit.
  • Mordenita - Dreamweaver
    Mordenita - Dreamweaver Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Although I do wish PWI would enforce the 2 accounts per player rule more. Sanctuary is filled with people who have 5-10 catshops.

They Don't? Really now? Because my friend accidentally had a 3rd client up for about 30 minutes she closed it, but about an hour later her account was banned. She had to send an e-mail to explain what happened to get her account back...
    Don't like me? That's fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But Don't disrespect me I wont Disrespect you.b:mischievous
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm convinced the big time merchants are IT department guys who've hijacked their companies file servers to run catshops 24/7.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • Runemine - Dreamweaver
    Runemine - Dreamweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    could be old school like me and use your main to be a cat shop(or in my case lighter) when your not playing. Also yeah iv had it several times id DC overnight and i had my shop up still till i re-logged the next day. its a pain cause i buy/sell stuff during that time and i got no clue what it was but ehh waking up with a 10min note and 8mil in your bag no complaints but still i like to know what i sold i can never remember whats all in my shop.
    101 Blademaster(Pro/Fail 4.0 BM with 11k base HP+G16(+10))
    100 Seeker(The Vortex Beast)
    86 Assassin(Solo king)
    76 Archer(Squishy Nuker)
    72 Cleric(Horrible healer)
    67 Barb(Buff baby)
    61 Wizard(King Aoe)
    37 Mystic(Fun project)
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    there should be an account time-out, I believe it's 5 minutes.

It's supposed to work by disconnecting your catshop if it doesn't reply to pings after 5 minutes. However, it wouldn't shock me in the least if PWE broke this somehow. >_>
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    there should be an account time-out, I believe it's 5 minutes.

It's supposed to work by disconnecting your catshop if it doesn't reply to pings after 5 minutes. However, it wouldn't shock me in the least if PWE broke this somehow. >_>

It does most of the time and you can't like force it to happen. But every once in a blue moon it doesn't work and the catshop will run when your computer did not. I've had it happen once or twice but usually it just dcs and disappears.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Hello guys .
    yes you have to keep your PC on 24/7. i bought a cheapo small laptop for these merchant shops. put on power save mode.

yes sometimes you DC and your shop is still on. Its same as a character staying ingame for a min. or two before DCing. I would not recommend tryin to do this tho cause the times i accidentally DC and had this happen, the amount of coins i had and the stuff i bought/sold did not match.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • buffsrus
    buffsrus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    What is really funny is that the same people who whine that they cant afford to cash shop are the same people who will leave a computer on 24/7 even though it costs $30-40/month in electricity to leave a computer on 24/7.
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    buffsrus wrote: »
    What is really funny is that the same people who whine that they cant afford to cash shop are the same people who will leave a computer on 24/7 even though it costs $30-40/month in electricity to leave a computer on 24/7.

you have to consider the age group of the majority of the playerbase. They don't pay their own bills so it doesn't concern them. And that's a bit high-balling unless they have their computer running on OMG nuke mode. My electricity bill total is only like.. $50 a month total with everything I use and my computer is almost always on for work related reasons and I can cat-shop at the same time. b:victory
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd love to know where you get your numbers from, because they are what's truly funny.

Based on that my electric bill would be several hundred to a thousand dollars a month, and it's not. Not even close.

I have running regularly....
    3 gaming rigs
    2 development laptops
    2 average laptops
    2 Mini-PC's
    1 2TB NAS
    2 1TB NAS
    3 Routers
    2 Switches
    1 Sun SunFire v20z server
    5 monitors (A couple are old CRT's)

And that's just in the computer room.
    There's a couple other laptops laying around the house, a few tablets, a PS3, the TV, 2 Refrigerators, 2 Freezers, and that's just the things that get left turned on all the time....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Hello guys .

It's a glitch. There are two version of the glitch. Simple version lets you stay on 24/7, like you said. The more advanced version lets you clone catshops, so you can 2~20 catshops running at the same time. If each shop make 5m a day, 20 catshop = 100m a day, 30 days = 3 billion. That is how people get r9 so easily these days.

I am told a 5aps shops, takes extra money out of the other players inventory. So set up 5aps shops.
  • buffsrus
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd love to know where you get your numbers from, because they are what's truly funny.

Just going by personal experience. The apartment I used to live in I never did anything different from 1 month to the next other than the second month I had an extra computer on 24/7. Bill went up $35. I just figured checked its power for both low and high end and it would cost anywhere from $22/month on low end and $45/month at full usage. It all depends on electric rates and how much power each individual computer uses. It also isnt 100% accurate because power companies dont always read your meter even though they claim they do. They just do a adjustment when they do read it.
    edited July 2012
    Options

Do you honestly pay your own electricity? Or do you just live in an area that charges a LOT for electricity? Or are you just unaware of the Kilowats per hour you're computer uses and the price per hour you're being charged? It's probably one of these three things. Let's see my computer uses about .130 KWH an hour. (I put it on power save mode when leaving it on so I don't actually use that much energy.) That is about 2.00 a week or 8 bucks (USD) per month. If I unplug my 2 television sets, stereo, and other electronic devices that I don't need to be plugged in. That is actually a pretty easy number to make up for and will draw the same amount of energy, which equals no real change to my electricity bill. Although it does take me a few extra moments when I want to use something.Bonus points if you unplug your monitor and just leave the desktop running if you're using a desktop as opposed to a laptop.

If you're curious how much it would costs you, you could always call your local energy company. And you can get a guesstimate by using this tool. http://www.electricity-usage.com/Electricity-Usage-Calculator.aspx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • shopitup
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Let's see my computer uses about 130 KWH an hour at max power.

That would mean your computer drew 130 kilowatts of power while in use. I have space heaters that need only about one percent of that, so I really think you got that figure wrong somehow. (Other than that, though, your point is good.)
    edited July 2012
    Options
    shopitup wrote: »
    That would mean your computer drew 130 kilowatts of power while in use. I have space heaters that need only about one percent of that, so I really think you got that figure wrong somehow. (Other than that, though, your point is good.)

That is what it is according to dell. I've never actually hooked it up to a power guage to see. I'm sure it's less than that though because I don't have the 3-D stuff enabled. Don't use the monitor at max brightness. Try to keep it off the plug as much as I can. ETC ETC.

edit: I read it wrong it's regular watts. Forgot to convert it. XD So that actually makes it only .13 kWH which is even less. :P The pricing is still the same though cuz the pricing in the calculator is per watt even though the utility company charges by the kilowatt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • buffsrus
    edited July 2012
    Options
    shopitup wrote: »

Actually .130KWH is 130 watts on average nonstop for 1 hour. I think you missed the . Based on your 130 watts of usage your numbers are probably real close.
    My computer pulls much more than that. I could cut it down if I used powersave mode when it is just sitting there but still wont get that low for mine.

Also 130 watts seems rather low even in powersave mode but depending on specs it could be possible.