The CatShop dilemma and a way to fix it

Options
eso
eso Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Suggestion Box
A NPC that allows you to store your items for everyone to see and buy/sell from, it would be kind of like the Auction House just without the bidding, but it would save alot of server space on the game and reduce lag.

NPC store search-
Can you imagine how easy it would be find the item you want then? All you have to do is type in the item you are looking for, and a list will appear of available merchants that is selling that type of item and buy instantly, no more walking around the world just to find the thing you require, and would cut down a lot of time.

It would be a secondary option for the Catshoppers if they don't want to leave PWI running all night when they are done playing. I'm honestly surprised PWI really hasn't thought of it yet.
Post edited by eso on

Comments

• Agiya - Raging Tide
    Agiya - Raging Tide Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    eso wrote: »
    A NPC that allows you to store your items for everyone to see and buy/sell from, it would be kind of like the Auction House just without the bidding, but it would save alot of server space on the game and reduce lag.

NPC store search-
    Can you imagine how easy it would be find the item you want then? All you have to do is type in the item you are looking for, and a list will appear of available merchants that is selling that type of item and buy instantly, no more walking around the world just to find the thing you require, and would cut down a lot of time.

It would be a secondary option for the Catshoppers if they don't want to leave PWI running all night when they are done playing. I'm honestly surprised PWI really hasn't thought of it yet.

I like it! Even a power-surge or other DC can close your catshop down, but the NPC would always be there no matter what issues your PC and Internet connection might be having at any given moment.

The center part I high-lighted because the AH already has a Search Option built into it, and a lot of times you can't find what you are looking for because it is kept under a Heading different from the one you think it might be under.

When I was told you needed to search an item number, the only thing I could think was, "Well, where am I supposed to get that?" O.o I guess its good if you have already seen an item you want to quickly keep track of or something, Idk. But, otherwise, its rather useless.

If I could just search Robes, Pages, Cubes, etc., it would be a big help & time saver.b:pleased
    Oh carrots are devine, you get a dozen for a dime...its maaaa-gic! ~ Bugs Bunny
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The AH is already a valid second option for people who cannot or do not want to have their clients running.

As is standard for the game, the AH fee is what you pay for the convenience of not having to set up a shop.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • eso
    eso Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I can see where both of ya are coming from, I suppose AH is actually like that no matter how you slice, I guess the approach I suggested would be kind of like that AH without the bidding.

I tried to approach this with the catshop lag issue in mind. Maybe the idea could be suggested should there ever be a server merge. You can imagine the lag chaos then. I figured this would also reduce the number of alternate-clients running in PWI, it would give the devs a better estimation of how many play the game, and increase space for more players to fit into the server.

Either way I see this as a win for the developers to solve technical issues.
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I can see where both of ya are coming from, I suppose AH is actually like that no matter how you slice, I guess the approach I suggested would be kind of like that AH without the bidding.

I tried to approach this with the catshop lag issue in mind. Maybe the idea could be suggested should there ever be a server merge. You can imagine the lag chaos then. I figured this would also reduce the number of alternate-clients running in PWI, it would give the devs a better estimation of how many play the game, and increase space for more players to fit into the server.

Either way I see this as a win for the developers to solve technical issues.

You also included the idea of a search engine that players can actually use to find something. Like I said, I like it!

I guess some people can't consider any form of change, unless that idea comes from them.

Things change whether we want them to or not - in a game and in real life. Time changes everything!

We already have teleport fees missing in the new Morai section. That's a change from the way things have always been. The advent of R9, and recast gear were both changes from the way things have always been.

I'm sure as the years change, a lot of things in this game will inevitably change.

That's the only option anyone or anything has - to change with the needs of players...to change with time.

RS has been around for 10 years. GW has been around for about 7?

PWI has been around for 3. That's very young to see a game stifle and die, or just sit still with nothing but its standard.

Good luck with this, eso.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The AH is already searchable and I'm not talking about sifting through the filters. When you hit search you can search for the item without knowing the item ID. You just have to capitalize the first letter in order to search for items. The main problem is that they are kinda slow with localizing the names of the items in the AH but that's a problem with the translation team and not something that has anything to do with the AH itself. The main problem with this idea is that it already exists so I don't see them spending time and resources to create something they already have in place just because people don't want to pay the fee for the convenience. A better solution would be to overhaul the existing system. Allow people to put more items in the AH as there are some items that can't be sold in there. Stop the AH from taking fees twice from the sale of the item. ETC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options

But the sellers can eliminate the bidding if they want to. Most people will usually set the starting price at what they need at worst and the buy price at slightly above what they expect to get.

Personally, I just set both at the same number, that way I don't have to bother with people bidding the start price and waiting the, say, 24 hours for it.
    You also included the idea of a search engine that players can actually use to find something. Like I said, I like it!

You can already search, it's just case sensitive. For example, you can search "Red Pi" and get "Red Pigment" and "Violet Red Pigment" as results, but searching "red Pi", "red pi" or "Red pi" will return nothing at all.

The biggest deterrent for mass usage of AH is the 5% fee. That and the lot of items that cannot be sold in AH for some reason.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    But the sellers can eliminate the bidding if they want to. Most people will usually set the starting price at what they need at worst and the buy price at slightly above what they expect to get.

Personally, I just set both at the same number, that way I don't have to bother with people bidding the start price and waiting the, say, 24 hours for it.

You can already search, it's just case sensitive. For example, you can search "Red Pi" and get "Red Pigment" and "Violet Red Pigment" as results, but searching "red Pi", "red pi" or "Red pi" will return nothing at all.

The biggest deterrent for mass usage of AH is the 5% fee. That and the lot of items that cannot be sold in AH for some reason.

The researchers at United Laboratories asked me to ask you what numbers you put into the Search Engine to get the option for those case sensative caps? b:cute
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    NPC store search-
    Can you imagine how easy it would be find the item you want then?
    The researchers at United Laboratories asked me to ask you what numbers you put into the Search Engine to get the option for those case sensative caps? b:cute

Here is a quick image guide to AH searching. The text of the ah is a bit small so you may have to zoom in a bit. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/ahsearchguide.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Here is a quick image guide to AH searching. The text of the ah is a bit small so you may have to zoom in a bit. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/ahsearchguide.png

Thank's so much, Venus. Going to check it out next time Im at the AH! b:thanks
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I would like a see the ah time increased from 24hrs max to say 1 week and to include a secondary option where you list things you'd like to buy that you cant find.