Any tips for a newbie? :)

Options
rainydaysss
rainydaysss Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Im just starting and was wondering if i could have tips on lvling, choosing a class, making money, etc all is nice! Thank you :)
Post edited by rainydaysss on

Comments

• XxRagzxx - Sanctuary
    XxRagzxx - Sanctuary Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Lower level's best bet of leveling is doing quests. Making money, you could farm mats and sell them as well as collect drops off the mobs you kill for quests and of course the quest rewards. It'll be slow but you'll save up quick. As for class that is your personal choice. Everyone has their person choice. Whether you want it for making money, having fun, or whatever tickles your pickle :D
    Archer Build:
    pwcalc.com/d38eec6e1f27c7a6
    Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/d74f267d3be72784
  • rainydaysss
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thanks :) just wondering how long does it take leveling 1-90?
  • XxRagzxx - Sanctuary
    XxRagzxx - Sanctuary Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Depends if you're planning on charging or not. If you charge you can get there quickly by buying Fcc exp spots and activating a set of hypers. You can easily hit like 1-60 in a days time depending on how fast you get them and how you save your hyper time =D
    Archer Build:
    pwcalc.com/d38eec6e1f27c7a6
    Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/d74f267d3be72784
  • Zaa - Harshlands
    Zaa - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    just run away as fast as you can it not worth it b:avoid
  • rainydaysss
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Why not the game looks fun :)
  • Dragoneast - Sanctuary
    Dragoneast - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    plz plz plz do NOT buy exp room :(
    u won't learn ure class, u end up with less spirit than by doing quests and bounty hunters at 40+ and since you're new you won't even know what things like tt, fcc, bh and such r.... which u HAVE to know to be taken serious by others....
    I do not need much,
    I do not have much,
    I do not miss much,
    I have love and friendship,
    To compensate for that!
    Dragoneast-rb1-soon to be 100 again- sanctuary
    Back in pwi, always returning to my first real mmo
    Started in genie patch :)
  • laloner
    laloner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hay is worth 15K each minimum. Don't sell it to a dork catshop for less than that. At low levels hay, purified oil and leather are prolly the best money makers.

Don't do Dragon Quests, its not necessary and wastes time.

Once you get to 40 most of your leveling will prolly come from BH. You don't have to do every single quest, its ok to be picky about them.
    AKA PermaSpark, Heartshatter
  • SoulNala - Raging Tide
    SoulNala - Raging Tide Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Best way to play is just playing without asking others how to level up fastest way, just play the game and explore by yourself. You should use only guides abouts quests and how to build your character. It's the way how the game is most fun in my opinion and don't hestitate to ask for help to kill bosses ;)
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Yeah, leveling fast does not help you learn now to play. Then you just end up reaching the ranks of high-level noobs that we all hate and ignore in-game. If you want some information on the class you've chosen, there are lots of guides in the Class Discussion forums and I have done some myself on my guide website. Oh and I can't leave out the Wiki either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Why not the game looks fun :)

It kinda is/was. The developers have started using psychological tactics to get new people to spend lots of money. This is started by offering you an easy route to end game. Once you reach end-game, where almost everyone else is, you'll have **** gear. If you want to be included in anything or if you want to PK or TW, you'll need some really expensive gear and some really expensive refines.

Sure, you can get most of it by spending lots of time in-game, but even the most profitable farming has been made insignificant by the massive inflation caused by the developers on purpose, so even if you work hard, you're still making less than minimum wage. Since the gears are so expensive and the refines are really expensive too, and you're making pennies on the dollar compared to what you can earn in real life, the temptation to charge is placed upon you. Once you start down that path, it could be $1000, $5000, or $10000+ dollars later depending on how compulsive or obsessive you are.

I honestly don't believe a new player starting the game can reach end-game and have respectable gears without spending money now. Well, you still could, but by the time you get the gear and refine it, the game will probably be close to dead.

So if you can't merchant (have a dedicated cash shop up 24/7), you don't want to play 6-10 hours a day, or you don't want to spend a few thousand dollars, then this game is definitely not for you.

Oh, and beware. There are a lot of scammers and liars. Also people who will tell you they never spent a cent because they're embarrased to admit they spent a lot of money here.
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i just posted this in another thread .....

Not having a go at you man, but in any section on these forums use the search function. Personally when I do a search I then select the "show thread" option because this searches the titles of any threads and you get more specific results. There would be many posts about genies and everything else.

You will find you can learn much quicker doing this and it saves other players getting frustrated from answering the same questions over and over.

My tips for you as a newie is to be careful what you spend. There are many ways to lose money. So you see something nice in a catshop - dont just buy it. Look around other catshops and learn about the Auction House/Boutique and you will get a better grasp of prices to save getting ripped off.

Learn how to buy and sell. There are many merchants making millions of coins a weeks from merchanting. But you will eventually need a lot more coins then is available from questing so even buying and selling in small amountsl will make a few bucks.

Questing. You dont have to do every quest. You can if you want. The absolutely mandatory quests are the yellow ones because they affect your 'cultivation' level and you need to get this upgraded to learn new skills.

look at these - seriously - check them out - I use these every day.

http://pwinsider.wordpress.com/2011/...anting-part-0/
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Go to the pwdatabase one and explore all the options. You will see information about gears/materials/mobs and maps that show where lots of things can be found and many other things - its invaluable.
  • Yeaves - Archosaur
    Yeaves - Archosaur Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It kinda is/was. The developers have started using psychological tactics to get new people to spend lots of money. This is started by offering you an easy route to end game. Once you reach end-game, where almost everyone else is, you'll have **** gear. If you want to be included in anything or if you want to PK or TW, you'll need some really expensive gear and some really expensive refines.

Sure, you can get most of it by spending lots of time in-game, but even the most profitable farming has been made insignificant by the massive inflation caused by the developers on purpose, so even if you work hard, you're still making less than minimum wage. Since the gears are so expensive and the refines are really expensive too, and you're making pennies on the dollar compared to what you can earn in real life, the temptation to charge is placed upon you. Once you start down that path, it could be $1000, $5000, or $10000+ dollars later depending on how compulsive or obsessive you are.

I honestly don't believe a new player starting the game can reach end-game and have respectable gears without spending money now. Well, you still could, but by the time you get the gear and refine it, the game will probably be close to dead.

So if you can't merchant (have a dedicated cash shop up 24/7), you don't want to play 6-10 hours a day, or you don't want to spend a few thousand dollars, then this game is definitely not for you.

Oh, and beware. There are a lot of scammers and liars. Also people who will tell you they never spent a cent because they're embarrased to admit they spent a lot of money here.

Most of the pressure to charge money actually comes from other players, not the game or company. I agree that pvp is not enjoyable unless you've got equal gear to match but for the majority of the game (even tw), r8 is good enough.

Don't take the easy route to endgame. The endgame content for this game sucks *that's why the developers were in a hurry to stick more endgame content in the last update*
    Other players will pressure you to level and to level fast. They will also exclude players with less than 'r9 gear with good refines' because somehow the gear makes the player *see other threads about this*

Making money is difficult in this game, but certainly not hard. Hay, fruit and mats sell for a good price and a low level player could easily buy gear with that. Learning to use the auction house and setting up a catshop (not cashshop) helps.

There are a lot of liars in this game and some of them will tell you that its impossible to get to endgame without charging thousands of dollars. I've used real world money to buy a fancy mount *i like fast rides b:cool* but I'm level 97 (my avatar is glitched) and I have never used real world money to buy gear. Some of the players are just too lazy to farm and not lazy enough to complain.

Good luck starting in pwi and stay away from people that claim you're not pro unless you spend money.
    *I never thought Perfect world was beautiful... till I discovered that my graphics' quality settings were on low*
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Most of the pressure to charge money actually comes from other players, not the game or company. I agree that pvp is not enjoyable unless you've got equal gear to match but for the majority of the game (even tw), r8 is good enough..

Yes, that is all correct. That is because that is by design. The design implemented by PW.
  • Dragoneast - Sanctuary
    Dragoneast - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options

u makes me understand the pain i feel deep inside of me :(
    i spent 10 euros once and it was a waste cause i started a new char and i bought rep badges :( but the rest is so trueb:cry b:cry but i manage, i NEVER sold that gold and now I'm doing fine with some BIG luck from bh rewards 100+ but ure post rally expressed how i feel about this game, but i can manage myself:cryb:cry so lets not discourage new players but welcome them and hope they won't be sucked into this vile and ruthless pwi we grew up inb:cry
    I do not need much,
    I do not have much,
    I do not miss much,
    I have love and friendship,
    To compensate for that!
    Dragoneast-rb1-soon to be 100 again- sanctuary
    Back in pwi, always returning to my first real mmo
    Started in genie patch :)
  • Hegalen - Harshlands
    Hegalen - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Im just starting and was wondering if i could have tips on lvling, choosing a class, making money, etc all is nice! Thank you :)

the class you choose for your first char must be an assasin. Assasin is a hard to play class until level 90 but after that, it becomes the best class in game by far. You can solo nearly everything you need in pve, you can be invisible, run pass every mob until you get to the boss you need and kill it easily. After leveling your assasin to 101+ and start making money fast, you may choose another class for the fun of it but you won't really need another.

Choosing a pvp server wouldnt be wise. There are lots of high level assasins around who kill lvl 30+ just for fun. They are invisible so you can't see them. they just pop up near you kill you and dissapear back which is plain annoying. Even doing a simple quest becomes impossible.

Regarding quests, they are quite fun at the beginning. I mean 5 from this mob 10 from another, easy to kill and ends fast. But after a while, you'll end up with quests like 90 from this mob and 100 from another, which is extremely boring to do. Dungeons and bosses are always the same. You'll do them your eyes closed after a while.

Well. I told you not to choose a pvp server but there is no fun in just doing pve either :)

Welcome to pwi and have fun :)
  • Ssowa - Momaganon
    Ssowa - Momaganon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Barb was my 1st choice and must say it's cool ^^
    Beside on world chat I always see: LF Barb for delta/ aba or fcc so I think I won't be bored at higher lvl :D

My tip is.. collect all mats dropping from mobs and sell them later. ^^ And of course find helpfull faction! So you can go into all caves without problematic spamming world chat for help :o
  • Zorish - Harshlands
    Zorish - Harshlands Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    By any means, do not buy fashion, charms or any cash shop items wasting coins.

if you can afford to merchant, visit this guide:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17099011&posted=1#post17099011

You can make money easily.

Second, do not obsess with gear at low lvl. With Bounty Hunter quest you'll lvl quite fast making you gear outdated.

Do not NPC mats or food for pets, you can sell them.

If you can use 2 pcs, try to lvl 2 chars at the same time. One a veno the other whatever you want. Leave the Veno at lvl 30 and use it to farm hay, it sells GREAT for lowbies and can make your life so much easier.

Sin is good as he can solo a lot late game, BUT you'll have a bit of hard time trying to find squad since it's full of sins and you need good gear too, and that can be expensive.
  • shopitup
    shopitup Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    For the record, most anybody can afford to merchant. About the only thing you need is a second account you can run a catshop on and the ability to keep a computer running 24/7 so that catshop can stay open --- and I'm not 100% certain about even that.

All you need to start merching is a few thousand coin and the interest to do it. I started with two mil coin, and that was more than I needed. I'm up to 200 gold now, building purely on that initial investment --- and I'm by no means a big-time or very skilled merchant, I do catshopping mostly for fun and challenge.

The best introduction to merchanting I've seen remains Warren's six-part series.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    just play the game as you like it

dont start on a pvp server and you are fine to play at your pace

you can lvlup just fine without bothering much about cash shop, big time farming or merchanting

just play... dont listen to crying emos and have fun
    dont need the best gear for that

you can bother with high lvl stuff and extravagant gear when you get there.
    nobody expects you to have max gear as new person

i know many old players with the worst **** gaer... they just dont care
    they are not involved in elitist battles and still have fun
    i like potato
  • Alchemystt - Heavens Tear
    Alchemystt - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Don't give us any preferences or anything like that, cause that wouldn't be helpful at all. Nope.

Lets write this out.
    If you don't like physical characters, which if not made by putting gold into the game it takes a lot of time to gear them up but when geared up they make quite a sum of money.

If you like caster characters, you should know how to put your points, and if you want to hit hard and do a 9 1 build then you better start farming money and saving up Citrine shards for your gear and saving refines. If your level 100 and under 5k hp your not doing your job and you become a liability in money making instances.

If you want a mixture of the two the only two classes that are classically Light armor are Assassin and Archer. Archer is only for dedicated classes because I and a large amount of the population have a bias towards them unless they are fully geared and aps. (A ungeared archer is 1/4 the DD of a ungeared assassin.)

More detail by class:
    ELVES:
    Cleric: This healer class is weak in DD unless you rank or nirvana it but what sets it aside from the Mystic class is BB. They can match the heals of a BB but not the 50% damage reduction. You have to have fairly high HP on a cleric, around 5k if you plan on surviving your lower levels in FF.

Archer: See up for that information. --They don't usually get into money making instances due to bias, but they are alright for PK.

UNTAMED
    Veno: It has pets but you have to level them yourself and get pet bag slots which is expensive. It's a medium DD in the caster classes but it is the Arcane equivalent to Blademaster because of AMP, which increases damage a target takes. They get into caster squads fairly easy. (A caster squad money maker) Although people prefer nix or herc venos (expensvie pets) they are generally good in PVP.

Barbarian: Do not APS this no matter what anyone tells you. They are made to be the tanks and cost a lot on gear repairs and you have to be prepared to drop a PRETTY PENNY on their gear to get high HP. You usually put required points in, to meet gear standards and then the rest in VIT. It isn't desired much, except for FULL RBs and some BH 100s. I still enjoy the class myself but it is an acquired taste.

HUMAN:
    Wizards: Straight forward HARD magic DDs. Need high hp again. And a good weapon and it will make you money. Learn how to use elements in your favor and you should be straight. Reccomended that you get channeling gear but not required.

Blademaster: Lacks in DD, requires APS gear to get into high lvl groups. But has HF a increase damage taken skill that is highly desired. High HP required again.

TIDEBORN:
    Psychic: This is the faster version of a Wizard. It uses soulspheres and arcane gear and it's reccomended to get a good weapon, maybe rank or nirvana and it will make you money too. High hp is needed to survive, but you come equipped with several survival skillson a psychic.

Assassin: Needs high HP 5k+ to live, reccomended more. It is an APS dd and the hardest hitting physical DD in the game. They are highly desired when they are 4.0+ Aps with good refines and HP. You can make the money back you put into it quickly but you still have to put money into it to get up there.

EARTHGUARD
    Seeker: They have vortex, and hit rather hard but are not fast phsyical DDs. They are desired in full RBs, and as pullers. They are decent in PVP depending on gear and they require 8k+ HP at 100 to be considered a good seeker. The weapon is swords only for them which can be a strain. But an alright class to play.

Mystic: My personal favorite. A hard DD in magic and a great Healer as well. They come with pets that level with you, 4 pets. A magic pet that hits insanely hard, a physical pet that stuns and hits alright. It saves you quite a bit. And a healer pet that shields people, it's nice to have when youre the healler. Then the Cragglord which requires 2 sparks and hits reallly reaaaaaalllly hard if used right. (In Full RBs it hits constant aoes if you click them in time that hit 20k base on mobs which is extremely hard in that instance). They are great if used right and again require 5k+ HP.

Hope that helped.

A tip: Don't let people wind you up in the game.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    you could farm mats and sell them as well

Dude, who buys lower level mats anymore? Ever since you could trade tokens for wine, minable mats and herbs are practically worthless. The only mat routes that are still regularly farmed are for high level PK pots that a lowbie isn't able to farm.
  • Hegalen - Harshlands
    Hegalen - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Barb was my 1st choice and must say it's cool ^^
    Beside on world chat I always see: LF Barb for delta/ aba or fcc so I think I won't be bored at higher lvl :D

My tip is.. collect all mats dropping from mobs and sell them later. ^^ And of course find helpfull faction! So you can go into all caves without problematic spamming world chat for help :o

You definitely need some alt support for playing cleric and Barb classes.
    Clerics lose exp everytime they die becouse there is usually no one around to ressurrect them. And they need a consideable stash of mp pots. There are some instances where clerics lose more exp and money then they gain.

Barbs usually don't lose exp becouse of death becouse they get resurrected. but they pay huuuuge repair bills. Your repair bills will start to go up once you start to wear high level expensive armors. You can easily find a bh or fc squad but who'll pay for your 300+k repair bills per run? A barb doesn't earn that much.

By the way, if a squad fails, barb and cleric classes are the first ones who hear the curses of other squadmates, so its a matter of patience too :)

In my oppinion, your first char must be a money maker one instead of a spender. Assasin is a good class to make money. you can easily find squads for nirvana runs which is the most effective way of making money.