Would people want more Forum mods?

Options

Comments

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I think someone made a similar thread maybe a week ago if i'm not wrong.

I think there's two problems on the forum.

Moderators are way to much tolerant. I don't know if they can ban someone on the forum or a GM need to do it, but if mods can they should use it more often.

I think they lost control of the forum by be too much tolerant, by let the trolls post over and over again its like feed them and encourage them.

Now for the players, more than half posts are troll posts and its made by the people using the forum and many people answer, reply to them beside just ignore them.

#1 A thread made by a player about how much the game suck should be close and a ban to the person. (anyway every people making these threads don't even play anymore)

#2 On a thread made by a new player asking advice, people who reply to encourage them to don't play should be ban.

#3 People who reply on a post: ''post count +1'' or just a link to a pony picture should be ban for spam.

#4 People speaking against the game and trash talk the game should be ban. If there's something you don't like about the game and have a idea to make it better do it, but no need to be negative about the whole game.

#5 People speaking about other game, should be ban. I see in many threads people talking about other game and the threads are at 2-3-6-7 pages on many days, the thread should be close, when people talk about a other game even if the game is not named.

Just these 5 points would clean a huge part of the trolling and would make people think 2 times before post something. Its a forum about the game, it should be for speak about the game and to find information about the game.

About the ban, i personally think a ban should be 24 hours the first time, 7 days the second time and permanent the third time. I've been ban one time on forum and it's a real joke cause you can still post from the other chars on the same account, someone ban should be ban for all the chars on the account, some people have 7-8 chars on the same account, so even if ban on one char they still have 6-7 chars they can come spam and troll. Some people will say the forum will be less active if the trolls get ban, yes its true, but what do you prefer, a huge spam of trolls or a clean forum maybe less active but without useless trolls spam.

For me a mod is someone who is here to moderate, to check that people use the forum as it should be. A mod is kinda like a boss at job, some people will like them some will hate them, but they are not there to make friends or to be love, they are here to make a job which is moderate the forum and not to make friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I don't know if they can ban someone on the forum or a GM need to do it, but if mods can they should use it more often.

They can not.
    I think they lost control of the forum by be too much tolerant, by let the trolls post over and over again its like feed them and encourage them.

It's the only thing they can do, since they can't ban people.
    Now for the players, more than half posts are troll posts and its made by the people using the forum and many people answer, reply to them beside just ignore them.

#1 A thread made by a player about how much the game suck should be close and a ban to the person. (anyway every people making these threads don't even play anymore)

#2 On a thread made by a new player asking advice, people who reply to encourage them to don't play should be ban.

#3 People who reply on a post: ''post count +1'' or just a link to a pony picture should be ban for spam.

#4 People speaking against the game and trash talk the game should be ban. If there's something you don't like about the game and have a idea to make it better do it, but no need to be negative about the whole game.

#5 People speaking about other game, should be ban. I see in many threads people talking about other game and the threads are at 2-3-6-7 pages on many days, the thread should be close, when people talk about a other game even if the game is not named.

#1 & #2: what do you want this place to become? North Korea?
    #3: Eh, fair enough.
    #4: See #1 & #2
    #5: This should actually be bannable (?) or at least be removed, it's just not enforced lately.
    Just these 5 points would clean a huge part of the trolling and would make people think 2 times before post something. Its a forum about the game, it should be for speak about the game and to find information about the game.

Or, you know, prevent people from posting at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I definitely support the notion that we need at least one more moderator. Since we're all volunteers, we also have day jobs, school, and generally, a personal life to work around while moderating the forums, which sometimes allows us to be around more often, and sometimes less.

Which brings me to the fact that I know I've not been as active as I have before, but you know - sometimes life interferes a little. I still like to think of myself as a very active moderator, and I assure you I come here every day to check on things and do a fair bit of work! I just don't mention it as often. b:surrender

However, as my fellow mods have mentioned - we don't just delete topics we don't like, and we're not as tolerant as we seem. A lot of what we do, and the decisions we make not only come from the forum guide lines, but from using our experience and common sense to do most of the thinking for us.

While I was very "trigger happy" in the beginning, I take much more consideration today - and - choose my words more wisely. And after nearly 2 years of moderating the forums (gosh, has it really been this long?) I still take this position just as seriously as I did before. Only now I'm... smarter around you guys.

We get a lot of criticism, not just for our actions over the forums but also for the actions of the company - far more than you expect when you come to think of it. This does require thick skin and grinding teeth, but you get used to it. At the end of the day we do as much as we can to not just moderate but carry information and messages to the team beyond the forums, and I think it's safe to say that we've proved we're not PWE's puppets by expressing our opinion more so than often.

So yeah, if any of you want to join us know that we will welcome you with open arms, but we will expect you to abide to our standards and we'll try to ease your way into being a mod. We work as a team, and we trust each other and treat each other, as well as Frankie, as friends.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    They can not.

Ok like i said i didn't know if they can or not and now i think the problem is not the mods but the GM who should be more active on forum.

It's the only thing they can do, since they can't ban people.

Agree if they can't ban people they can't do much.

#1 & #2: what do you want this place to become? North Korea?
    #3: Eh, fair enough.
    #4: See #1 & #2
    #5: This should actually be bannable (?) or at least be removed, it's just not enforced lately.

#1-2-4: I personally think that a forum should be use for get help, infos, to discuss about the game with other players.
    The fact that some people trash talk the game while they don't even play anymore is useless and just might make some new players change their mind and don't come to play cause all they see is threads about how the game suck and is dead. If people don't like the game its their choice i respect it, but they should respect people who play it and like it.

#5: Its not suppose to be allowed but at the moment from some threads i see its like it was allowed.

Or, you know, prevent people from posting at all.

Well like i said, if people who troll and post **** for post count get ban, the forum will be more quiet, but if the GM/mods don't need to babysit people they might have more time for help people with problems, listen the suggestions, etc.

But from what i can see, mods cannot do nothing and the problem is more about GM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options

1) Why should they be banned for venting concerns? As long as they do it in a constructive manner, it's not a huge problem. And some of fixes from this game come from people who complained. The Imperial Fury expansion was a direct response to the most common complaints by the pwi players and was made mostly for us. China didn't even get the content first, as per usual.

2) Fair enough. There is a thread to vent complaints, and then there is just constantly discouraging new players. Time and a place. I don't see why they should be banned unless they are repeat offenders though.

3)Some of the most helpful people on the forums do that. Why should it be bannable? TMostly only threads its done to is obvious troll threads and necroes. Threads that are going to be closed down anyway. If you banned people for having a bit of fun once in a while, there would be no point to posting.

4) How is this any different than 1?

5) It's already against the rules to mention other games, and the people who continuously try to advertise other games on this game's forums shouldn't be doing so. It happens so often now mods rarely catch the posts to edit them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • alymara
    alymara Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I voted no to this when it was mentioned in suggestions and will repost it as the logic applies to Game Mods And Forum Mods as well.

I voted Against any gamer doing the job of a company. Some will say but they (The Company) is to busy to mod the forums. BS, It's part of the Job they have undertaken.

All Game/Forum Mods do is provide the company a firewall of unpaid volunteers to hide behind. I mean come on think about it, if Forum Mods did not exists what would have to come to pass. People that get paid to run a game would actually have to interact with the people playing the game ???

Game Sages that help with game play ? Yes, as they are not acting as a firewall between the players and game related problems. Any person that truly loves the game would never want to be a game mod. Any person that volunteers to become a forum Mod , does so strictly for a sense of power and more often than not abuse this power unto people that they personally dislike.

So the solution to the problem is for anyone that truly loves the game and wishes to reverse the current lack of interaction between the company and it's player base is for "ALL Forum and Game MODS" to resign, forcing the company to hire a paid employ to do the job they are supposed to be doing in the first place.
    Bait/Lure, Enrage/Trap, Burn/Kill Those simple 3 steps have been killing Trolls for centuries. "Praylor Falcus"
    edited June 2012
    Options
    alymara wrote: »
    I voted Against any gamer doing the job of a company. Some will say but they (The Company) is to busy to mod the forums. BS, It's part of the Job they have undertaken.

Moderating the forums is the mods job. You can call BS all you want, but asking volunteers and interns to take up some of the more mundane but important jobs is a pretty common practice. No one can be in all places at once. You'll see this in a wide variety of different avenues and it frees up paid staff to focus on other things.

All Game/Forum Mods do is provide the company a firewall of unpaid volunteers to hide behind. I mean come on think about it, if Forum Mods did not exists what would have to come to pass. People that get paid to run a game would actually have to interact with the people playing the game ???

They are open between the hours of 9-5 PDT. That means anything that happened off hours would be like it didn't exist. The mods have helped the GMs sift through that is important and what is not. And alert them to threads that need to be responded to several times. Some of these things escaping their notice while they are online. 2 heads are better than one.

Game Sages that help with game play ? Yes, as they are not acting as a firewall between the players and game related problems. Any person that truly loves the game would never want to be a game mod. Any person that volunteers to become a forum Mod , does so strictly for a sense of power and more often than not abuse this power unto people that they personally dislike.

More often that not this forum's mods do not abuse their power. Although they have all had things they have handled in a way that left a bad taste in people's mouths. Some more often than others. When you stereotype a group of people this way (and believe me there a LOT of game moderators out there) you will always be wrong. Even if your theory was accurate about game moderators; why couldn't a game mod want to help and not realize that by being a game mod they are making things worse? To assume a person you do not know's motivations for taking a job (volunteer or not) is wrong at the very least.

So the solution to the problem is for anyone that truly loves the game and wishes to reverse the current lack of interaction between the company and it's player base is for "ALL Forum and Game MODS" to resign, forcing the company to hire a paid employ to do the job they are supposed to be doing in the first place.

There are no game mods, and if all the forum mods quit they are not going to hire a paid employee. They will just ask someone else to help for free. And assuming your posts magically changed everyone's mind about what a mod is supposed to be doing, that would mean nobody who honestly wanted the help the game would be in a mod's position. Which would make things much worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • SpazzMcAps - Harshlands
    SpazzMcAps - Harshlands Posts: 2,561 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I definitely support the notion that we need at least one more moderator. Since we're all volunteers, we also have day jobs, school, and generally, a personal life to work around while moderating the forums, which sometimes allows us to be around more often, and sometimes less.

Which brings me to the fact that I know I've not been as active as I have before, but you know - sometimes life interferes a little. I still like to think of myself as a very active moderator, and I assure you I come here every day to check on things and do a fair bit of work! I just don't mention it as often. b:surrender

However, as my fellow mods have mentioned - we don't just delete topics we don't like, and we're not as tolerant as we seem. A lot of what we do, and the decisions we make not only come from the forum guide lines, but from using our experience and common sense to do most of the thinking for us.

While I was very "trigger happy" in the beginning, I take much more consideration today - and - choose my words more wisely. And after nearly 2 years of moderating the forums (gosh, has it really been this long?) I still take this position just as seriously as I did before. Only now I'm... smarter around you guys.

We get a lot of criticism, not just for our actions over the forums but also for the actions of the company - far more than you expect when you come to think of it. This does require thick skin and grinding teeth, but you get used to it. At the end of the day we do as much as we can to not just moderate but carry information and messages to the team beyond the forums, and I think it's safe to say that we've proved we're not PWE's puppets by expressing our opinion more so than often.

So yeah, if any of you want to join us know that we will welcome you with open arms, but we will expect you to abide to our standards and we'll try to ease your way into being a mod. We work as a team, and we trust each other and treat each other, as well as Frankie, as friends.
    I would, but I'm a huge doucher
  • alymara
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Moderating the forums is the mods job. You can call BS all you want, but asking volunteers and interns to take up some of the more mundane but important jobs is a pretty common practice. No one can be in all places at once. You'll see this in a wide variety of different avenues and it frees up paid staff to focus on other things.Care to provide examples of where this is common ???

They are open between the hours of 9-5 PDT. That means anything that happened off hours would be like it didn't exist. The mods have helped the GMs sift through that is important and what is not. And alert them to threads that need to be responded to several times. Some of these things escaping their notice while they are online. 2 heads are better than one.Yes heaven forbid someone from the company actually listen to or read what the community is upset about, rather than get some unpaid persons view of what "THEY" think the community is upset about

More often that not this forum's mods do not abuse their power. Although they have all had things they have handled in a way that left a bad taste in people's mouths. Some more often than others. When you stereotype a group of people this way (and believe me there a LOT of game moderators out there) you will always be wrong. Even if your theory was accurate about game moderators; why couldn't a game mod want to help and not realize that by being a game mod they are making things worse? To assume a person you do not know's motivations for taking a job (volunteer or not) is wrong at the very least.It only takes one person one time doing the wrong thing to make it look bad for the company. Any company that was truely interested in it's market image would not leave this to unpaid/unaccountable people. One bad hair day can cause alot of problems and what can they do to correct it.

There are no game mods, and if all the forum mods quit they are not going to hire a paid employee. They will just ask someone else to help for free. And assuming your posts magically changed everyone's mind about what a mod is supposed to be doing, that would mean nobody who honestly wanted the help the game would be in a mod's position. Which would make things much worse.
    Lets get serious here for a second and look at the logic of your statement. 1: Publishers are so busy they need MOD's to take up the slack so they can do "ALL" the important stuff they do. Is this the same people that say they can't do X cause all changes come form the dev's? What exactly is it they are doing ?? Are the servers powered by Hand crank generators ??? You can't logically have it both ways. Either they "CAN" and do make changes to the game and are thus needing unpaid volunteer help to Mod forums or they can't and are using the mods to do their job they are paid to do.
    Bait/Lure, Enrage/Trap, Burn/Kill Those simple 3 steps have been killing Trolls for centuries. "Praylor Falcus"
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    What exactly is it they are doing ??

You know, if I see the threads people make on here... I don't dare to imagine the masses of tickets GMs get. And the amount of complete bs.

And that's besides server maintenance, billing, advertising, all that company stuff.

Also lol at the trools and trouble starters ofc voting no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Care to provide examples of where this is common ???

Google Search "Forum Moderator" or "Unpaid Internship." Take a second and explore the links. You will see how common it is.

Yes heaven forbid someone from the company actually listen to or read what the community is upset about, rather than get some unpaid persons view of what "THEY" think the community is upset about

Yes, because the same threads don't get made over and over again in this forum. Everyone uses the search button and never asks the same question twice. The mods can be trained to spot important things just as easily as any gm can.
    .It only takes one person one time doing the wrong thing to make it look bad for the company. Any company that was truely interested in it's market image would not leave this to unpaid/unaccountable people. One bad hair day can cause alot of problems and what can they do to correct it.

And they can do the same thing to the mods as they do to the GMs, fire them for improper conduct and apologize.
    Lets get serious here for a second and look at the logic of your statement. 1: Publishers are so busy they need MOD's to take up the slack so they can do "ALL" the important stuff they do. Is this the same people that say they can't do X cause all changes come form the dev's? What exactly is it they are doing ?? Are the servers powered by Hand crank generators ??? You can't logically have it both ways. Either they "CAN" and do make changes to the game and are thus needing unpaid volunteer help to Mod forums or they can't and are using the mods to do their job they are paid to do.

Just because they don't develop content doesn't mean that they are sitting around all day eating pizza. Who do you think came up with the DQ points system. Who do you think voiced our concerns to the devs and got us the imperial fury update? Who do you think decided to make hypers available in frost? Bad decision, but still not one China or other versions made. It was likely in-house. Who do you think fixes engrish-y localizations? Do you think sales just fall from the skies? What about server maintenance? Is that handled by China? Nope. How do we know if one GM handles one game? I've heard that Frankie is in charge of a couple of different games, don't know if it's true or not. But still. Who answers tickets? They barely have enough people to answer those in a timely manner. They got rid of live chat altogether.

You can absolutely have it both ways. Just because they are a licencee instead of developers doesn't mean that they aren't busy people. The idea that they just because they can't make changes to the code of the game, there is literally nothing else for them to do all day but monitor the forums is illogical. The fact of the matter is we do not know what their day-to-day is like. But we do know some things just by observation. There is likely many more things we do not know. Regardless, this community (and many other companies) chooses to use forum moderators to police the community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • alymara
    edited June 2012
    Options

Just because they don't develop content doesn't mean that they are sitting around all day eating pizza. Who do you think came up with the DQ points system. Who do you think voiced our concerns to the devs and got us the imperial fury update? Who do you think decided to make hypers available in frost? Bad decision, but still not one China or other versions made. It was likely in-house. Who do you think fixes engrish-y localizations? Do you think sales just fall from the skies? What about server maintenance? Is that handled by China? Nope. How do we know if one GM handles one game? I've heard that Frankie is in charge of a couple of different games, don't know if it's true or not. But still. Who answers tickets? They barely have enough people to answer those in a timely manner. They got rid of live chat altogether.

You can absolutely have it both ways. Just because they are a licencee instead of developers doesn't mean that they aren't busy people. The idea that they just because they can't make changes to the code of the game, there is literally nothing else for them to do all day but monitor the forums is illogical. The fact of the matter is we do not know what their day-to-day is like. But we do know some things just by observation. There is likely many more things we do not know. Regardless, this community (and many other companies) chooses to use forum moderators to police the community.

I am sure once your troll rage simmers down you will face Palm with your choices to Show how Busy and Hard they work at ("SITTING around and Brain Storming") How to get more cash shop sells from the community they are "TO BUSY" to deal with.

As Side note and FYI, everyone knows they eat Taco's not pizza Silly.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    1) Why should they be banned for venting concerns? As long as they do it in a constructive manner, it's not a huge problem. And some of fixes from this game come from people who complained. The Imperial Fury expansion was a direct response to the most common complaints by the pwi players and was made mostly for us. China didn't even get the content first, as per usual.
    If people complain about something in a constructive way, its ok, yes people can say their opinion, but people posting comment like that: ''PWI suck, that game is dead, you should go play on a private, don't waste time to install it'' <- that kind of comment is useless and have nothing constructive.
    2) Fair enough. There is a thread to vent complaints, and then there is just constantly discouraging new players. Time and a place. I don't see why they should be banned unless they are repeat offenders though.
    I don't say to automatically ban someone who post something out of topic, post a smiley without say nothing, post useless comment as ''post count +1'', etc..but when someone do it often in every threads or many times in the same threads there should be a warning/consequence.
    3)Some of the most helpful people on the forums do that. Why should it be bannable? TMostly only threads its done to is obvious troll threads and necroes. Threads that are going to be closed down anyway. If you banned people for having a bit of fun once in a while, there would be no point to posting.
    As i said previously, that can happen to everyone to post something out topic, smiley, etc... but if someone abuse, helpful person or not, there should be warning and consequence
    4) How is this any different than 1?
    I agree both was kinda the same thing.
    5) It's already against the rules to mention other games, and the people who continuously try to advertise other games on this game's forums shouldn't be doing so. It happens so often now mods rarely catch the posts to edit them.
    Of course they cannot edit every post/reply people make, but when a topic have a comment on a other game, the thread could be just closed and move to the lower depths

Anyway it's just my opinion, to be honest i admire the mods, its totally not a job i would do paid or no.

For the person who said the mods do it for the power, seriously i don't think the job they do worth the ''power'' they have, i personally didn't saw a mod be unfair with someone more than a other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Ironically the forums are more dead than the game is these days. There is not much point any more when the forums have more trolls than players.

^Quote of the day
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    It's really cool to see people stepping up and defending the Mods for once.
  • SpazzMcAps - Harshlands
    SpazzMcAps - Harshlands Posts: 2,561 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    qft +1
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    6000 moderators wouldn't make one bit of a difference if the staff of PWE absolutely refuse to type anything on the forums besides a post bi-weekly for the status of maintenance. I'd be shocked if in that "special" section for only mods/PWE staff on the forums, the PWE staff post more than one or two posts a week.

They ignore the player base, and expect the player base to give a rats a.ss. Good luck LOL.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options

Gotta agree with this. Sure our mods have their faults as humans with lives outside of PWI but they do still try and it would be nice if they had more help.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    More mods are just pointless because they deal with (or supposed to?) threads and have no power to deal with the game itself.

Not really. For exemple, Shelly is (was) relaying some infos to Frankie.

Now, what Frankie did with those info is another matter...

Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • bubbabinsky
    bubbabinsky Posts: 17 Community Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I would say that I would apply to mod the PWI forum, but to be quite honest, I lost my faith in PWI.

I'll admit, it was the most fun I could have ever had for 3 years of my life, but I'm just not entertained anymore.

And I'd hate to mod a forum of a game that I no longer play!
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I nominate myself.
  • Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Yes but sadly who listens to us players needs?
  • _Floo_ - Heavens Tear
    _Floo_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    No, we don't need anymore fail *** troll to be mods.
    Just let this game die, please.
    b:bye
  • truekossy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    No, we don't need anymore fail *** troll to be mods.
    Just let this game die, please.
    b:bye

I.... I'm not a fail three star troll... b:sad
  • XxRagzxx - Sanctuary
    XxRagzxx - Sanctuary Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing a new mod around. Maybe one that actually plays the game, and knows something about it for once? Should make the requirement so they are at least 100 on one character so that they have a little knowledge. Seems like most mods on here aren't even past their 80s =/
    Archer Build:
    pwcalc.com/d38eec6e1f27c7a6
    Sin Build:
    pwcalc.com/d74f267d3be72784
  • truekossy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Level doesn't mean anything nowadays. A level requirement is an incredibly poor way to judge knowledge. You'd be far more accurate based on how long they've been around if you wanted a general idea of knowledge (in combination with activity so that we don't pick someone who's been here since 09 and has 2 posts). However, even that isn't a very good way to tell since knowledge of the game will have a very minimal reflection on capability as a mod. I can speak from experience saying that some of the most knowledgeable people of a game can be the most terrible choices of forum moderators.

Your best bets for overall quick judgements (which may not be a fully accurate picture, mind you) will be forum activity, seniority, general knowledge (mostly for out of game but in-game helps for keeping respect with the playerbase), and overall tone of posts (as in are they genuinely helpful to those who need it/ how much do they troll/etc).
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing a new mod around. Maybe one that actually plays the game, and knows something about it for once? Should make the requirement so they are at least 100 on one character so that they have a little knowledge. Seems like most mods on here aren't even past their 80s =/

I completely disagree with this. First of all my main is level 100 and has been one for a while now. Fuzzy is one of the most knowledgeable players I know about the game, being he is/was the leader of one of the stronger factions in RT, and one that players relied on a lot, be it help in game, information and so on. We all play the game, be it less or more than other players, we're still players ourselves.

That said - being level 100 doesn't guarantee knowledge about the game. Heck, most level 100 in the game right now have power leveled and did little to nothing to learn how to play the game, get familiar with it, or assist others.
    truekossy wrote: »
    Your best bets for overall quick judgements (which may not be a fully accurate picture, mind you) will be forum activity, seniority, general knowledge (mostly for out of game but in-game helps for keeping respect with the playerbase), and overall tone of posts (as in are they genuinely helpful to those who need it/ how much do they troll/etc).

This.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Level doesn't mean anything nowadays. A level requirement is an incredibly poor way to judge knowledge. You'd be far more accurate based on how long they've been around if you wanted a general idea of knowledge (in combination with activity so that we don't pick someone who's been here since 09 and has 2 posts). However, even that isn't a very good way to tell since knowledge of the game will have a very minimal reflection on capability as a mod. I can speak from experience saying that some of the most knowledgeable people of a game can be the most terrible choices of forum moderators.

This x2. Level might be helpful for an in-game mod so that they've gotten a feel for all the instances and how certain things are supposed to work. But it doesn't matter one iota for a forum moderator. I would like to add that it should be someone who treats everyone equally and fairly; regardless of their level, knowledge of the game, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    This x2. Level might be helpful for an in-game mod so that they've gotten a feel for all the instances and how certain things are supposed to work. But it doesn't matter one iota for a forum moderator. I would like to add that it should be someone who treats everyone equally and fairly; regardless of their level, knowledge of the game, etc.

Awww shame that means m0st 0f y0u are already 0ff the list *sad face*.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Awww shame that means m0st 0f y0u are already 0ff the list *sad face*.

**** NOOOOOBBBBB!!!!!b:angryb:angryb:angry

JKJK And yeah it does knock a lot of people off the list. But what is left is a good list. And nobody says they have to be perfect at it, cuz nobody is. Unfortunately some of the people I think would be good at it aren't even interested according to the poll. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous: