Alienware/PWI Issues

AslansChild - Sanctuary
AslansChild - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Support Desk
Hello. I recently got an Alienware x51 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs), the biggest one, and I have been having issues with it. At the end of the pwi installation, a box popped up from Notepad that read a few useless lines. I read up on the forums and discovered that if I typed in "MFC," I could install it through there.

Anyway, after it was up and running, I logged onto pwi and the graphics were set pretty high, much higher than my always-best-performance laptop does. I have tried to play 5 times now and each time, on the Alienware, the game freezes up no matter what I do. Originally I thought it was due to the graphics being up so high, but then when I logged in again I turned them down and it still happened to me, although it lasted a few minutes longer. Every time this happens, it starts freezing and a few of the times, in Southern Archosaur, the ground goes clear and then it freezes. It has crashed only once, but the other times I have just ended the non-responsive program. I tried to take a screenshot of the clear ground, but the screeny didn't work out, probably because it was freezing as I tried to take it.

I have tried to play in less crowded areas of the game, but I don't think this should be a problem considering my internet is completely fine and runs fast and I have done a speed test and it works well. Also, since this is a desktop designed for gaming, I'm not quite sure why this is happening to me. I was told I could play several high-performance games at the same time if I wanted to. My laptop has much lower specs and it runs well enough. Also, I ran AlienAutopsy and the results all passed. Anyway...I'm not sure if it is on pwi's end or mine, but I am not tech savvy and I would appreciate ANY help. :)

I would be happy to provide any other details! b:victory
Post edited by AslansChild - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2012
    well the "end of the installation" where it popped up notepad, wasn't the end of the install, it was the end of downloading the installer.

Not sure where MFC comes into play, you install the client by running "install.exe" from the folder that Pando Media Booster downloaded the install files to. (Which happens to be "C:\Users\(YOUR WINDOWS USER NAME NERE)\Desktop\PWI_v621_Installer".)
    (OK, I found where you get the MFC from, I don't know where you would type that though to install the client, it's just listed in the details for the install.exe file.)

Your issues with the graphics are more likely driver related. Install this one and choose "Clean Install" from Advanced Settings. Often the driver shipped with the system is not up-to-date, and is often missing a few components. (Especially since Alienware isn't really Alienware anymore, they used to ship with some really nice custom driver sets, but then HP purchased them.)

It could also be the install, because if it wasn't performed properly, some files could be incorrectly allocated. Also, try running as administrator. In 64-bit this will often resolve some gameplay issues with older software like PWI.

Another thing is that you will have quite a bit of bloatware with a system like that, removing it helps a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AslansChild - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the quick response. :) I only tried MFC because it was something someone had posted in the forums as a solution a while ago. As I said, not tech savvy, so I was just trying anything at that point. (When I typed MFC into the Start search, it brought up the install.exe file so works for me ^^)

I installed the driver as you said, unfortunate that something that simple can't just be on it when shipped imo... HP purchased? I thought Dell did. I hate Dell's website with a passion and they are horrible with tech support as I found out this morning. I was having a problem every time I turned on the PC (Window would pop up 7-8 times in a row even when I clicked yes, "Do you want to make changes to this computer, something from Microsoft). Either way, all he did was turn off my notifications for allowing changes to my computer, which I turned back on once I found out what he did. Not sure if that's important. Either way, I could not understand the dude and I think he only helped me with a minor problem and sent me on my way without really looking at anything. The reason why I called them in the first place was because I was an idiot and put the Windows 7 Home Premium disc into the tower even though it was already installed...not sure if I messed anything up by doing that. b:surrender

Anyway...I verified and everything after the install. Not sure how I would know if something had gone wrong. And how do I run it as an administrator? Removing bloatware? Which items exactly does that entail? Sorry >.< Once again...quite the tech noob. (Thanks so much!)
    edited June 2012
    Update: Installed that driver. Ran pwi and the same thing happened. Froze several times and then crashed after maybe 2 minutes of being clear with graphics on about medium.
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    Chrisssss - Sanctuary Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    +1 have the exact same computer checked video card says everything running fine so assuming it hasn't been burned out. Downloaded the same thing that was posted and ran with both graphics all the way down and than all the way up and same thing happens. It'll work fine than just freeze up..... Actually come to think of it the problem really started last night for me before that no problems this past week.
    edited June 2012
    +1 have the exact same computer checked video card says everything running fine so assuming it hasn't been burned out. Downloaded the same thing that was posted and ran with both graphics all the way down and than all the way up and same thing happens. It'll work fine than just freeze up..... Actually come to think of it the problem really started last night for me before that no problems this past week.

Dd you try more than once to play and it froze up each time? It started for me yesterday. I'm hoping it's not my computer and that it is pwi related, but knowing my luck...it's the computer.
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Yup I did first time it happend was before I entered the instance for tw, 2nd time I tried to do trials and it happend. Hell I think it happend in 1K to. Yeah If your having the same issue I'm thinking it's a pwi thing, had my alianware for a month and had no issues with it till now.
    edited June 2012
    And it ran completely smoothly with no issues related to the Alienware before yesterday? Odd...I sent in a ticket, but I'm sure it will take a while to get responded to. b:chuckle
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Yup so idk.....hope it's a pwi thing this post makes me feel better so I guess I'll have to send one in to.
    edited June 2012
    Yup so idk.....hope it's a pwi thing this post makes me feel better so I guess I'll have to send one in to.

Same...I literally just got this PC two days ago and it was a gift so I would feel terrible if there was something wrong with it. It seems to run well besides pwi, but I haven't had it long enough to really know.
    edited June 2012
    Your issues with the graphics are more likely driver related. Install this one and choose "Clean Install" from Advanced Settings. Often the driver shipped with the system is not up-to-date, and is often missing a few components. (Especially since Alienware isn't really Alienware anymore, they used to ship with some really nice custom driver sets, but then HP purchased them.)

It could also be the install, because if it wasn't performed properly, some files could be incorrectly allocated. Also, try running as administrator. In 64-bit this will often resolve some gameplay issues with older software like PWI.

Another thing is that you will have quite a bit of bloatware with a system like that, removing it helps a lot.

Any other suggestions since the driver installation did not work for me? Was wondering how to run it as an administrator and how to rid my system of "bloatware." Thank you for your help. b:victory
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    I'll keep messing around with it , wondering if it has something to do with directX. If anything it might fix itself in the next update. I've has worst issues before its just how pwi rolls.
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Well....Hasn't helped the issue but here what I've done it may help you

Settings for windows 7

Click on start
    Search bar type in UAC
    hit Launch
    Drag down the setting bar to the lowest settings

Right click on your pw cliant
    Hit properties
    select compatipility
    check the box for windows XP pack 2 or 3

While in the capatipility tab
    click on run as admin
    restart your computer

On the right hand side of your toolbar find your date/time
    Right click it select Ajust date/time
    go to the 3rd tab internet time
    Change settings
    deselect sync with interernet time

Hopefully this will work for you didn't for me same issue still occurs this time I was in North arch with my distance and effects all the way up. IMO you should be able to use the best quality that you paid for with no issues on a game that is way under the required minimum system.

You could try and revarify your pwi cliant I did several times umm......have not yet redownloaded this patch yet so we'll see.

GL let me know if you get it fixed.
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    umm for Windows 7, if you are using 64-bit OS, running in compatibility mode for XP will actually cause more problems with the client.

Setting it to run as administrator is a must for Vista+. (Sure it will work without running as admin, but it runs better when that is selected.)

UAC really doesn't make any difference. Especially when you set it to run as administrator.

Adjusting your date/time doesn't do anything for you, and the default is to automatically synchronize in Vista+.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
    edited June 2012
    Well running it as administrator did not work. It works so amazingly within the first 3-5 minutes and then it just starts freezing every single time. I have verified 5 times now and everything else on the PC seems to run just fine. This is what it looks like in game right before it freezes. I finally got a screenshot on a test run on an alternate toon:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/chelsea1616/2012-06-1019-49-03.jpg
    edited June 2012
    So today I tried playing...once again everything was fine for a few minutes, but this time it did not freeze, it just immediately crashed on me. Once the game closed, I received an error message on my PC that popped up to submit a report. I don't know what that means, but I have seen it twice now. Also, I am pretty positive that this is a pwi-related issues because I downloaded **** as a test and that game runs completely fine. *huge sigh* Come on pwi, answer the ticket! b:thanks

Here is a screeny of the error report that popped up:
    http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7673/22926869.png
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2012
    It looks like it's having an issue loading the textures. I had something similar to that once and it turned out to be a combination of a bad video driver version, and corrupt game files. Took me three verify's to fix the files, and a bit of poking around to find which video driver version to use. (Turned out to be a beta).

Also, yes, you were correct, it was Dell that bought Alienware, not HP. Had HP on the mind for some reason. Same difference in the long run though. Now it's just a name stamped on a box. They no longer have the customization that made Alienware worth spending the big bucks on. Now you can custom build the same system without the fancy package and label for half the price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    This is going deeper and deeper into the forums depths, well same old issue the freezes up every 10-20 mins (I took the capatapility off btw).

So......Anyone else got any ideas? The stuff I tried I used the search btw.
  • ricksta18
    ricksta18 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hey i'm getting the same error. Just bought a I5 Quad core gaming pc. it runs SOOO good for a few mins then freezes :\ I also saw that ground glitch once... now it just does it without doing that. The drivers im using came with the computer on a cd :\ so i dont think it's the graphics driver. I'm really not to sure. Tryed it with graphics all the way up&down.. No idea b:bye
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Posted something in my factions forums and got a interesting response.

It is unlikely (though I won't say impossible) that an alienware pc is malfunctioning. Those computer are built for running high end games. PWI is not a high end game.

What is likely to be happening is that your computer is not very compatible with PWI. Seems to be very common with people using newer computers. PWI was built to run in an era prior to multi-core processors. The way the game runs is a bit different than how games today run on a computer.

What's most likely occurring is a substantial memory leak. Check your physical memory (activating task manager using ctrl alt del, click on processes) and you should see your physical memory sky rocketing while running PWI. The client eventually shuts down. Early signs you might notice prior to the client crashing is goofy in game textures like giant squares, solid white hair on players, solid white mounts, and an exaggerated drop in frame rate.

I've noticed these crashes occur while transitioning or hanging out in certain areas. West, South, middle of archo, Tellus, and RT. Increased duration in TW causes the memory leak to worsen as well. I crashed about 8 times during a three hour tw this last weekend.

It's frustrating, but I've been unable to find a viable solution as of yet. I've tried a lot of things to x__x The most recent string of "bug-reports" really became noticeable after the Imperial Fury content update. I've a feeling the client is just a really unstable program now. Hopefully Chinese devs get a lot of complaints and are able to implement some stability into future patches, but not crossing my fingers.

If this is true than it's very disappointing but not surprising your all thoughts?
  • ricksta18
    edited June 2012
    idk. sound's legit. but surely this quad core i5 should run better then a pentium 3 with 512mb ram... this comp has 16gb ram clocked at 3.5ghz :\ cant see it using 16gb ram as quick as 512.
  • ricksta18
    edited June 2012
    thats exactly what it is bro. for me anyway.

When the game froze. i pressed alt control delete and in performance it says:

Total : 15760
    Cached: 6778
    Available: 7030
    Free: 370

Commit (GB) 4/15
  • yubelus
    yubelus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hello i got my x51 a few months back and tried to play PW again and i experience these bugs too, after trying a lot of different things .. it seems like nothing helps... it's definitely something inside the computer that makes PW client malfunction... and i think its because PW is an old game and might be that some pc's are too advanced ... but if anybody has any ideas how to fix it please share the solution :c