psychic=tank?

Options
oonnoo
oonnoo Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Psychic
the wiki says it O.o

somebody explain it to me? shouldn't it be the cleric? or the venomancer?

also they are magic barbs?
Post edited by oonnoo on

Comments

• Erryne - Sanctuary
    Erryne - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Pwi's wiki is often.... not updated and got wrong info no one bothered to correct.

Otherwise, psychic tend to tank well magic casting boss most of the time. If you're talking about physical stuff, then not really unless in white voodoo and even then it's iffy and aggro is ****.

It is well possible to do pull in white voodoo in fcc when in the 90s if the psychic is decent. In my case, never really could pull those entire corridor, mostly due to lack of speed and limit to holy path and speed apocathery. Knowing when to use psychic will, earth vector, rest of the aoes and a competent squad make it easy(I always had the same cleric whenever I had to pull that stunt, so no problem on that side for me). I can even do full room now, if the squad don't mind slow little me running past every mob groups at 4.8m/s(keeping holy path for last group so I can gain distance to psychic will, sandburst blast, HP in BB, then vector once they are inside). Still, nothing beat a real tank class for pull duty.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sins, BMs, Barbarians, and Archers are generally this game's "tanks". A tank is the person who keeps aggro so healing is easier.

A Psychic is referred to often as a "magic barb" as it takes aggro quickly compared to other magical classes do to quick casting dd skills, and can out survive any of the other magic classes when ranged tanking due to Bubble, Psy Will, and White Voodoo.

Generally speaking, when leveling, a Psy won't find themselves able to tank anything besides Calcid in bh39 and the bh59 bosses at range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pharmacy - Harshlands
    Pharmacy - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Wait what?
  • Pharmacy - Harshlands
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sins, BMs, Barbarians, and Archers are generally this game's "tanks". A tank is the person who keeps aggro so healing is easier.

A Psychic is referred to often as a "magic barb" as it takes aggro quickly compared to other magical classes do to quick casting dd skills, and can out survive any of the other magic classes when ranged tanking due to Bubble, Psy Will, and White Voodoo.

Generally speaking, when leveling, a Psy won't find themselves able to tank anything besides Calcid in bh39 and the bh59 bosses at range.

Wait what?
  • Pharmacy - Harshlands
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Did not mean for double post. That would be nice if a forum mod could delete the 1st one.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Did not mean for double post. That would be nice if a forum mod could delete the 1st one.

Archers are the easiest class to achieve 5.0 on, and many out DD fist BMs due to crit %.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Petal_ - Harshlands
    _Petal_ - Harshlands Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Psychics are "meh" tanks so long as they hold aggro. White Voodoo makes us pretty attractive in theory, but the fact that our attack levels suck harder than a brand new vacuum-cleaner makes it pretty impossible to hold.
    They made fun of me because I wasn't a R8 Psychic...and then came third cast. It's not funny anymore.

Reason 88 to buy a makeover scroll:
    gomba: "Your butt looks like an eggplant."
    Q_Q
  • Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear
    Gorgonnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Psychics are "meh" tanks so long as they hold aggro. White Voodoo makes us pretty attractive in theory, but the fact that our attack levels suck harder than a brand new vacuum-cleaner makes it pretty impossible to hold.

Depends on your build. I can tank on BV and hold aggro even from some APS ppl.
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Depends on your build. I can tank on BV and hold aggro even from some APS ppl.

I forget what the APS or Refine is exactly, probably 3.33 and +8 or so, but a R9 Psy if they get first hit can hold aggro for a pretty long time. The question is if they really want to. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Wiz is a better AA tank if you have high end gears. When fully buffed, it can have massive defenses without nerfing attack. Can even tank phys melee bosses.
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I forget what the APS or Refine is exactly, probably 3.33 and +8 or so, but a R9 Psy if they get first hit can hold aggro for a pretty long time. The question is if they really want to. b:chuckle

Depends on the boss...

Ever since the new BH bosses came out and AEU came out... I'm the one tanking them both.

In AEU I sometimes just don't attack for a while so I don't get aggro... I'm just too lazy b:surrender
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Wiz is a better AA tank if you have high end gears. When fully buffed, it can have massive defenses without nerfing attack. Can even tank phys melee bosses.

Still... if a +12 psy and a +12 wiz, given the faster casting/channeling for the psy, the psy will end up taking aggro. Our skills hit pretty much the same unless the wiz spams ultis (which won't be the case). And don't forget wizzies undine will benefit the psy too. We are, of course, squishier than wizzies tho. So it's easier for them to tank the bosses, mainly pdmg ones.
  • Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide
    Traydor_Styx - Raging Tide Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Tank - Something that is capable of taking hits while getting enough aggro to keep the monster(s) occupied.

Magic Tank is basically specializes in defense against magic.

Barbarians are great at taking damage due to there immense HP pools. They have specialized skills to increase there aggro.

Sins are great tanks at endgame due to there immense damage output with Bloodpaint up.
    Usual route is 5 aps and they gain 2% HP back per strike and do 5 hits per second.
    Basically healing them for 10% of there output per sec.

Psychic can self heal, damage deal while cleric helps in the healing. :)
    Born to be an Assassin, raised as a Thief.

Keliska - RT 70
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Tank - Something that is capable of taking hits while getting enough aggro to keep the monster(s) occupied.

Magic Tank is basically specializes in defense against magic.

Barbarians are great at taking damage due to there immense HP pools. They have specialized skills to increase there aggro.

Sins are great tanks at endgame due to there immense damage output with Bloodpaint up.
    Usual route is 5 aps and they gain 2% HP back per strike and do 5 hits per second.
    Basically healing them for 10% of there output per sec.

Psychic can self heal, damage deal while cleric helps in the healing. :)

What is this I don't even...
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    edited June 2012
    Options
    what Is This I Don't Even...

Gaiz He Saying Only Sin And Barb Can Tank Anythin Ever!!!2221
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zliss - Lost City
    Zliss - Lost City Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Options
    nv gear can hold aggro, not sure about hh99.