5 Aps Barb

Options
Svensk - Heavens Tear
Svensk - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Barbarian
Heya guys. I was thinking of making a 5 aps barb, i already got a 5.0 bm but i've grown really tired of him. I can account stash over all the gear on the BM over to the barb.
Now the thing is that i am 100% PvE. Im not a single bit into any kind of PK nor TW.
Whats your opinion on this? Should i just stick with the BM or hop onto barb?
Post edited by Svensk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Deago - Lost City
    Deago - Lost City Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Heya guys. I was thinking of making a 5 aps barb, i already got a 5.0 bm but i've grown really tired of him. I can account stash over all the gear on the BM over to the barb.
    Now the thing is that i am 100% PvE. Im not a single bit into any kind of PK nor TW.

Do what you feel is better. Im glad I made my barbie 5 aps. Its funny I can pull aggro off some sins and keep aggro from barbs and bms .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nothing is true. Everything is Permitted.
    Ezio Auditore
  • Svensk - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Do what you feel is better. Im glad I made my barbie 5 aps. Its funny I can pull aggro off some sins and keep aggro from barbs and bms .

Yeah, i see what you mean. All i really want is a bit of variety from the BM and sharing gear
    seems awesome.
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Yeah, i see what you mean. All i really want is a bit of variety from the BM and sharing gear
    seems awesome.

Spark -> auto is variety?

b:avoid

If you don't PvP and have reasonable well sharded and/or refined gears I see no reason not to go APS on your barb.
  • Deago - Lost City
    edited May 2012
    Options
    seems awesome.

This is how I built my barb for now :

http://pwcalc.com/3c4548b50861cee0

This will be what I get in a few months :

http://pwcalc.com/340721f65d8d22bd (fully buffed)

So as you can see we are great at aps :) And dont listen to Ghoul he is a noob
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ezio Auditore
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options

Spark -> auto is variety?

It's not about that. The difference between a bm and a barb still exists, but you create a new set of combos and playstyle when you can invoke, triple spark, frighten, and still keep your perma spark.

It's kind of like the difference between a sin and a bm is the same as the differences between a barb and a bm when you are aps. I usually prefer to solo instances on my barb because of the speed of tiger form, the huge hp pool, the versatility of huge defenses and instant switch to huge offenses, and the easier debuffing.

If you are PvE only, you probably should be a clawbarb. If you were pvp then it becomes more of a playstyle preference.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • BloodTyrant - Raging Tide
    BloodTyrant - Raging Tide Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    guys don't give a sht to hurrdurr, he's just an archer with a fail AA barb and he don't understand a sht bout barbs xD b:kiss love you boojie

im aps build since i got lvl 100, like 2 years and half ago, and i think it's great, i can do anything a normal barb do, and still have high damage/accuracy/crit, solo some bosses, and be a pain in the *** in PvP

aps barb is a alternative build, for who's bored of the same thing, not a nessessary end game build.

if you already have a aps/farm toon, don't make an barb just for aps/farm, aps/dex builds on barb are way more than this.

b:victory
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Some of the best barbs on HT are 5.0, but it's not for aps; they equipped well and know how to play.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options

Since you got the gear already, you should go for it. All you can loose on is some time and maybe a restat. See if you like it or not, cause only you can tell.

Just for the sake of having something different then the common "aps barb rocks" comments on the forums. I tried aps barb myself on barb, but restatted back to old fashion vit build. I found the fists pretty much worthless 95% of the time, cause even in squads I still used tigerform most of the time or I was just thinking "what am I doing here in human form, my bm/sin would be way better at this". Ofc, this is just my opinion considering my playstyle and the other toons I have. I know many love aps barbs, but just wanted to let you know not everyone thinks that way.
  • Svensk - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2012
    Options
    This is the gear the barb would be using:http://pwcalc.com/235cdaf8966db365
    Thoughts about it?
  • BloodTyrant - Raging Tide
    BloodTyrant - Raging Tide Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Thoughts about it?

i'd say, get a interval tome (pan gu is cheaper) change the LA for HA (more hp on refines) nirv chest gives a good boost of hp, elemental belt cover the magic def. try all refines +7 15k with claws would be average. hope it helpsb:victory
  • Svensk - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2012
    Options
    i'd say, get a interval tome (pan gu is cheaper) change the LA for HA (more hp on refines) nirv chest gives a good boost of hp, elemental belt cover the magic def. try all refines +7 15k with claws would be average. hope it helpsb:victory

Im thinking of going G16 fists/claws in the near future so id still have to remain the LA parts if i wanted to keep 5 aps. Unless id get recast r8 top.
  • Deago - Lost City
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Thoughts about it?

Not bad but the 12k hp will be the death of you, try going for better refines and better shards in your gear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ezio Auditore
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited May 2012
    Options

Personally, I prefer the LA armor pieces. There's arguments for HA wrist and boots if he had a -int tome and didn't have to go LA ornies but I hate LA ornies. It gives people "false hp". So what if HA refines better, when you are missing out on thousands of mdef and pdef that hp will fall off you like crazy because you take more damage so paint and heals are much less effective. I see 8k hp BMs with evasion ornies dieing about as easy as 5k hp BMs because of the lack of defense.

So, recommendations for your gear:
    - Necklace->mdef necklace, or at least have one on switch.
    - Carry a second ring to swap the R8 out. R8 provides a nice damage bump, but very little in the way of defense. You can chose what ring, but I'd recommend CoA because it refines for mdef and gives you 16 stat points
    - Avoid single stat tomes. They don't give as much stats as an equal level tome, for instance your 10 vit tome could be a 7str, 6 vit tome instead for a total of 13 stat points. Then you'd need to stat less strength and can save those points for vit and get 13 points in vit if you wanted.
    - If possible, consider upgrading to Lunar Cape for an extra 6-12 stat points and refine rate, or Lunar: Mantle of Radiance can be farmed, holds better shards, and refines better.
    - and the obvious fine tuning of the stats. Not hugely important and best left for endgame, but magic down to 3, dex to 200/203, and balance str and vit where you want them. My endgame axes are the Hellfire Hatchets: Sky and only require 287 strength, so I have the option of using those with about 130 vit base, or having around 440 str and 3 vit base.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the LA armor pieces.

TT90 or Second Stage Nirvana? -Isn't there a difference?
    There's arguments for HA wrist and boots if he had a -int tome and didn't have to go LA ornies but I hate LA ornies. It gives people "false hp". So what if HA refines better, when you are missing out on thousands of mdef and pdef that hp will fall off you like crazy because you take more damage so paint and heals are much less effective. I see 8k hp BMs with evasion ornies dieing about as easy as 5k hp BMs because of the lack of defense.

Same but they also sharded citrines.

- Carry a second ring to swap the R8 out. R8 provides a nice damage bump, but very little in the way of defense. You can chose what ring, but I'd recommend CoA because it refines for mdef and gives you 16 stat points

Does 5 aps barb have any interest in Rank 8? I like the Lunar ring + attendance ring.
    - Avoid single stat tomes. They don't give as much stats as an equal level tome, for instance your 10 vit tome could be a 7str, 6 vit tome instead for a total of 13 stat points. Then you'd need to stat less strength and can save those points for vit and get 13 points in vit if you wanted.

Except to be proper: You get your HP from refines. Lack of proper DD is more often a cause of fail than HP in RB, FF, etc.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the LA armor pieces. There's arguments for HA wrist and boots if he had a -int tome and didn't have to go LA ornies but I hate LA ornies. It gives people "false hp".

So, recommendations for your gear:
    - Necklace->mdef necklace, or at least have one on switch.

It's funny that you mention this in a row. I hear a lot of "HA with LA ornies is ****, Ashura boots + wrists with lionheart ornies is better", but that is not really that true. The use of LA ornies (ofc no refines needed) is exactly to have Mag def ornies to swap them with. It actually leaves more options and more growing potential. There are many situations where you're better off with full HA with mag ornies because the extra -0.05 int won't matter.

Ofc, this comes at the cost of having 2 extra items in inventory and having to switch gear a bit more. Not talking about switching ornies + weap every shapeshift, but just using the mag ornies for delta/trials/warsong. The LA boots+wrists is probably the easier all-round option.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited May 2012
    Options
    It's funny that you mention this in a row. I hear a lot of "HA with LA ornies is ****, Ashura boots + wrists with lionheart ornies is better", but that is not really that true. The use of LA ornies (ofc no refines needed) is exactly to have Mag def ornies to swap them with. It actually leaves more options and more growing potential. There are many situations where you're better off with full HA with mag ornies because the extra -0.05 int won't matter.

Ofc, this comes at the cost of having 2 extra items in inventory and having to switch gear a bit more. Not talking about switching ornies + weap every shapeshift, but just using the mag ornies for delta/trials/warsong. The LA boots+wrists is probably the easier all-round option.

What I'd actually suggest is TT99 HA plate and HA belt. That leaves your necklace available to swap between pdef or mdef if you'd like. One ornie swap instead of two, while your belt usually remains the TT99 pdef belt. The growth versatility is about the same as evasion ornies, allowing you to upgrade your wrist and boots when you get a -int tome, or to keep all -int and be 4.0 base. The same option if you get an R8 -int top.

I do swap my necklace and belt occasionally too both mdef or both pdef, but I actually prefer not to do it and am very happy with my 1 mdef and 1 pdef setup. The reason is just like clerics who carry two sets of ornies, - channeling and pdef "for when they need it", they often don't realize they need to until their dead and are saying "oh! I should have had the other set on." With barbs we spend so much time in tiger form when you realize you need to do a gear swap it's often at the worse time. For instance you have your aps gear set on because you plan on pulling then killing, you pull, realize your butt is in danger, and if you want to switch to your more defensive set you need to go human, swap ornies, wait for trueform to cooldown, and get back in tiger form. I'd prefer just to have the very decent set on all the time rather than the situationally optimal set swapping back and forth.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2012
    Options
    From the few months I spend as aps-barb, I found that not really a problem really. You know before entering if you're gonna pull or want the 1-target damage. Tbh, those barbs that switch every mob annoy me to no end. Fists only for bosses, for the rest you're just as good off hitting a devour and stay tiger or better off gathering mobs.

On bm I really like LA ornies. 5 part nirvana HA (ofc, now I could change for lionheart ornies but not worth it really) and the option between 4 aps with high mag def or 5 aps with ok mag def. I don't use fists much besides bosses anyway.

Overall, on barbs or bms I would always recommand full HA with LA+mag ornies. That way you won't nerf your gear grow potential. Not like barbs often end up tanking with fists anyway. Your option is nice and all, but only allows to grow attack wise. But yeah, I agree, tossing in LA does make have the advantage of making 1 overall armor set. It's most probably "good enough" defence wise, so for confort it's the best choice.
  • Tigerninja - Heavens Tear
    Tigerninja - Heavens Tear Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Considering the advantage of barb has over the bm in terms of HP, I suggest you go APS. In terms of dmg, it's more or less the same lol. my BM is 3STR/2DEX build and has more Str than my barb. and even so, deals more or less same dmg compared to barb.

Most BMs go on 3 STR/2DEX build (am not generalising) and in the end, about 8-9k hp at lvl100+ which is not ideal for some solo runs like FF PVL and some TT. My barb is APS and hits 16k+ in true form, ideal for tanking (and even the noob barbs hit 14k - 15k hp tank build b:surrender). I only have +4 or +5 refines. I can do PVL runs without worries and even lure all mobs in big room. plus you get accepted in APS runs like nirvana. that's another way of getting cashback for your reset notes. b:laugh and spend your keys.

If you want a real tank barb, i suggest you make another one on another account, which is what am doing right now. Demon and sage b:shocked