Running PWI post-Descent on Ubuntu 12.04

LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Support Desk
like so many others i've had a bear of a time running new-ish (post-Descent expansion) versions of PWI on new-ish (12.04) versions of Ubuntu Linux. i think i finally got it worked out; this is how i did it.

some of the major issues, for me at least, appear to revolve around PWI needing a 32-bit version of Wine whereas i'm running a 64-bit version of Linux. if anybody's still using 32-bit operating systems, they may have less issues than i did, and some of the work i describe below may be superfluous for them.

as well, half the pain is that i've been unable to get PWI to run on recent versions of Wine. it's necessary for some reason to use an outdated version of the windows emulator on a version of Linux that doesn't natively support it any more. "playonlinux" helps greatly with this, and with much other wine-trampling; i recommend it highly.

1. get the PWI installer. use the bittorrent download. start this running now, because it'll take forever.
  2. get playonlinux (henceforth POL). "sudo apt-get install playonlinux". the wine package may not even be needed by itself, i haven't experimented.
    i got POL 4.0.14. on the first run, let it refresh itself.
  3. in POL, get wine 1.2.3. PWI doesn't seem to work with later, though i haven't experimented much. make sure it's 32 bit! don't even get the 64bit one, if any.
    tools -> manage wine versions; x86 tab; wine 1.2.3; install.
  4. convince POL to make a 32-bit wine-1.2.3 wineprefix ("virtual drive"). this is tricky, POL will default to making a 64-bit one, and the word length can't be adjusted once the wineprefix has been created.
    install -> "not listed program" link -> new virtual drive -> name "PerfectWorld" (or whatever).
    check all three boxes (use another wine version, configure wine, install libraries) -> select wine 1.2.3.
    click ok to install gecko.
    in config, check "allow pixel shader" and select hardware vertex shader, click ok.
    in libraries, install d3dx9, vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun6. never mind the "might fail to install" error on vcrun2008.
  5. download the chinese language packs --- "ie_zh[tc].exe" from microsoft.com. google their file names for download links. accept only genuine microsoft.com links.
    remember where the download saves them!
  6. step 1 done yet? good, unrar it and tell the POL wizard to run install.exe!
  7. don't get excited yet, you have more groundlaying work to do.
    go to POL -> config -> select the PerfectWorld virtual drive.
    display tab -> enable GLSL, directdraw renderer opengl, offscreen rendering fbo.
    miscellany tab -> run exe in this drive -> run the langpacks from step #5.
    wine tab -> registry editor. add to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D the following string values:
    Nonpower2Mode = repack
    RenderTargetLockMode = auto
    VideoMemorySize =
    (as appropriate, EDIT THIS).
  8. are there any links in POL for the patcher and client? delete them, they don't work.
    configure -> general -> make new shortcut, for both of them.

this procedure gets me a working, playable PWI (currently version 639, imperial fury expansion), although the patcher is "fragile". elementclient.exe works more stably, but patcher.exe tends to crash unless babied --- by which i mean, leave it alone and do not disturb it. it patched my game from version 632 to 639 successfully, but when it's in the middle of working, sometimes even just moving the input focus to another program (say, to do something else with your computer than just watching those progress bars) will make it collapse and force you to restart it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
Post edited by LenieClarke - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• flangenips
    flangenips Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Running on Debian Wheezy/Sid here.
    Same Issues with patcher... its unstable as heck now. My update didn't seem to fully complete :/, it would always crash on file "|||||||.ecm" or something similar to that. I have both ie_zht & ie_zhc installed. But the font for the updating status and game version changes drastically to something else at a larger point, followed by a crash of patcher.exe.

However in spite of this crash seems i'm updated to 639 and have been playing the game client absolutely fine... strange... i'll probably run into something later that breaks it :/
  • asishi
    asishi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I've been running on basic Wine 1.4.0 with winetricks, Ubuntu 12.04 as well. It takes some work to get it working properly. You'll want to follow the instructions on WineHQ. Even still, there are issues, such as patcher being prone to crashing and the game itself becoming useless on any major graphical changes. I'd advise always running PWI in a virtual desktop because of some of the other issues.

One thing to be aware of: it seems to be nearly guaranteed that major updates will corrupt something and leave you unable to see skill/item icons and character faces. I've yet to determine what causes this. Generally it's been agreed you'll need to redownload the full installer via bittorrent and that crutching on the verify button is your saving grace. We'll see. I'll be playing around with it in the coming days to see what I can figure out.

Also, if you're a technical novice, you're probably better off not trying to get PWI working in Wine. Just trust me on this one.
  • asishi
    asishi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Just an update on the current progress, the new patch released last night messed everything up for me. All icons (minus one) were replaced with yellow question marks for both skills and items (the one remaining was the wrong icon), all characters were missing their faces, left with a black hole with eyeballs, and my map turned into a grid of garbled junk. A reinstall did nothing to help, and I was unable to verify the installation due to patcher's tendency to crash at the drop of a hat.

So, in looking into this, I found something saying this is a known issue that had been fixed in Wine 1.5. As such, I updated to 1.5.4 (beta) and gave it another shot, first as a reinstall, then using my original backed up prefix. With the original prefix, given zero changes from the "working" state, I have the same new problem, in this case a popup box over the patcher saying "Internal Errors" and "Invalid Parameters Received", with a program crash. As such, I wouldn't suggest 1.5.4 yet on 12.04 x86_64. Going to try reinstalling fglrx (ATI proprietary drivers) later and see if that helps. I was warned I may need to do so after the upgrade to 12.04 and had failed to do so thus far. If I find luck, I'll post an update to WineHQ. Otherwise... well, we'll see I suppose.
  • flangenips
    edited May 2012
    asishi wrote: »
    Just an update on the current progress, the new patch released last night messed everything up for me. All icons (minus one) were replaced with yellow question marks for both skills and items (the one remaining was the wrong icon), all characters were missing their faces, left with a black hole with eyeballs, and my map turned into a grid of garbled junk. A reinstall did nothing to help, and I was unable to verify the installation due to patcher's tendency to crash at the drop of a hat.

So, in looking into this, I found something saying this is a known issue that had been fixed in Wine 1.5. As such, I updated to 1.5.4 (beta) and gave it another shot, first as a reinstall, then using my original backed up prefix. With the original prefix, given zero changes from the "working" state, I have the same new problem, in this case a popup box over the patcher saying "Internal Errors" and "Invalid Parameters Received", with a program crash. As such, I wouldn't suggest 1.5.4 yet on 12.04 x86_64. Going to try reinstalling fglrx (ATI proprietary drivers) later and see if that helps. I was warned I may need to do so after the upgrade to 12.04 and had failed to do so thus far. If I find luck, I'll post an update to WineHQ. Otherwise... well, we'll see I suppose.

So far have 0 in-game issues here. (Though time will tell when i encounter new content)

Just the patcher issues. If there were a way (i.e a zip file of files) to just install and override the files, this would make patching easier. Haven't tried, but maybe there is a way to extract the .cup file? Might look into it if i can pull myself away from playing it.

May i suggest using wine 1.2.2 or 1.2.3 in its own prefix in 32-bit (if at all possible). This one is proven to work well on most systems. I know its old, but i had major issues with 1.4 :/ (haven't tried 1.5.x yet)
    With winetricks, the only additions i made were Directx9 (NOT d3dx9). vcrun6,2005,2008. ie6. I'm picking a lot of wine users will have more luck with graphics with directx9 than the other libraries. Patcher occasionally complains about directx9 not being installed by using that method, but not often or in a breaking way.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2012
    i've never been able to get PWI to run under either wine 1.4.x or 1.5.x myself, either. (x86_64, ati fglrx, if it matters.) i've never seen the often reported icons issue; i'd recommend verifying your game files, if you haven't already and if your patcher is stable enough to do it.

i used to be able to get PWI to run under wine 1.3.x, but that was before i updated to Ubuntu 12.04 and started using playonlinux. i haven't cared to experiment too much with it since then, wine 1.2.3 works and i'm not messing with it overmuch. might try it in another wineprefix in a few more days, if i can find the time. i've tried wine 1.4 and 1.5 by themselves (without POL to babysit them) under Ubuntu 12.04; the epic fails i got from that was what drove me onto the POL path.

i DO get some minor graphics glitches in-game --- some models, including player models, get mis-rendered and show "spikes" sticking upwards at odd angles from odd vertices. these are ugly, but i can ignore them for the sake of gameplay. i suspect it's a wine problem, as it's persisted through a number of video card driver versions and PWI versions as well.

i did install ie6 once, but apart from letting me see the advertising in the patcher window it gave me no other benefits and seemed to make the patcher even less stable, so i removed it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Dextar - Dreamweaver
    Dextar - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    The latest update broke PWI for me too, the client crashed soon after launch. To have it start again under wine I installed Internet Explorer 7 and that seemed to work.

Unfortunately not everything is actually working: the icons are all messed up, the map is not working, and there's probably more just waiting to bite me: any ideas? Nvidia graphic card, using Linux Mint 12, Wine 1.4.

Rehdon
  • Brutalitus - Heavens Tear
    Brutalitus - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    after the update i got all my icons wrong b:angry

also the map is all wrong

same problem of asishi

20120523111437.png

[EDIT]: installing wine 1.5 fixed the problem =)
  • Ocelote - Lost City
    Ocelote - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    still waiting on a fix in this wine 1.5 didnt esolved my problem
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2012
    still waiting on a fix in this wine 1.5 didnt esolved my problem

as flangenips and myself noted earlier, going to higher wine versions doesn't always help and sometimes hurts. try downgrading to wine 1.3 or 1.2 and see what that does. yes, those versions are years old --- so is PWI.
  • Dextar - Dreamweaver
    Dextar - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Upgrading to Wine 1.5 fixed the messed up icons, thx for the tip! :)

Rehdon
  • Myelene - Lost City
    Myelene - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    as flangenips and myself noted earlier, going to higher wine versions doesn't always help and sometimes hurts. try downgrading to wine 1.3 or 1.2 and see what that does. yes, those versions are years old --- so is PWI.

somehow it didnt let me get older version when i tried Synaptic installed the latest and via apt command shell also installed the 1.5 any idea on how to get an older version and by the way wine 1.5 dont need extra dlls to run and installing them didnt solved the icon issue i just get question marks "?" i would like to see different icons to know they are diferent skills XD or items thanks for caring b:thanks
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2012
    Try downloading the files from here for the version you want.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flangenips
    edited May 2012
    somehow it didnt let me get older version when i tried Synaptic installed the latest and via apt command shell also installed the 1.5 any idea on how to get an older version and by the way wine 1.5 dont need extra dlls to run and installing them didnt solved the icon issue i just get question marks "?" i would like to see different icons to know they are diferent skills XD or items thanks for caring b:thanks

Maybe not what you want to do, but i use PlayOnLinux now to manage my wine versions and prefixes. You may prefer to do things the cleaner route through building via the console. Makes switching between versions in a prefix nice and easy if you want to test out various versions with your client.
  • Sashimi - Lost City
    Sashimi - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The patch a few weeks back messed up my icons too, as well as the last patch caused issues with the patcher. I noticed that the patcher was crashing in "mshtml", so I set-up a separate wineprefix, installed IE7 (had IE6 before), and it fixed the patcher crash and it fixed my in-game icons too!

Running wine 1.5.5.
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm running on ubuntu 12.04 with wine 1.5.5

No problems..
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    Oniryuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    *rolls eyes* I cannot believe you PWE. The colorless garments, icons and black faces are fixed by installing IE.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, PWE uses IE hooks for faces, garment coloring and icons. While the icons are understandable, the rest really caught me off guard.
  • petruccidt
    petruccidt Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm running on ubuntu 12.04 with wine 1.5.5

No problems..
    i had the 12.04 too
    how ? i cant, it gives a error into the main load intro(it dont load as well) and show a window 'reportbugs' b:cry heelp me please '-'
    theres the screenshots
    capturadetelade20120720.pngcapturadetelade20120720.png
  • fulminedio
    fulminedio Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It would be nice if we could get a Linux client of PWI. I understand different versions of Linux run different and its difficult to write an app that runs on all versions, but I have been saving my PWI app on a thumb drive. Ill update it on windows and take it to any machine and play it. So I believe a playable version on Linux should not be all that difficult to do.
    I am a NERD, I have Skilz for I am 1337
    For I am mighty. Hear me roar (meow)
    edited August 2012
    fulminedio wrote: »
    It would be nice if we could get a Linux client of PWI. I understand different versions of Linux run different and its difficult to write an app that runs on all versions, but I have been saving my PWI app on a thumb drive. Ill update it on windows and take it to any machine and play it. So I believe a playable version on Linux should not be all that difficult to do.
    Unfortunately, there is no cost-benefit to putting the effort into catering to less than 1% of the users.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • petruccidt
    petruccidt Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias 180, std (d/m/y): 26/02/2012, dlt (d/m/y): 21/10/2012
    [email]alexandre@alexandre-System-Product-Name:~/.wine[/email]/drive_c$ cd pw
    [email]alexandre@alexandre-System-Product-Name:~/.wine[/email]/drive_c/pw$ cd pw
    [email]alexandre@alexandre-System-Product-Name:~/.wine[/email]/drive_c/pw/pw$ cd element
    [email]alexandre@alexandre-System-Product-Name:~/.wine[/email]/drive_c/pw/pw/element$ wine elementclient.exe
    fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias 180, std (d/m/y): 26/02/2012, dlt (d/m/y): 21/10/2012
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e8cc,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e804,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} could be created for context 0x1
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e874,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
    fixme:d3d8:ValidateVertexShader (0x5b935c8 (nil) (nil) 0 (nil)): stub
    fixme:d3d8:ValidatePixelShader (0x5fdc988 (nil) 0 (nil)): stub
    fixme:ieframe:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x80b62e8)
    fixme:ieframe:OleObject_Advise (0x80b62e8)->(0x1ccb48, 0x1ccb94)
    fixme:ieframe:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x80b62e8)->(1 00000000 0x1ccb48)
    fixme:ieframe:ViewObject_Draw (0x80b62e8)->(1 -1 (nil) (nil) (nil) 0x568 0x1ccbac 0x1ccbac (nil) 00000000)
    fixme:ieframe:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x80867b0)
    fixme:ieframe:OleObject_Advise (0x80867b0)->(0x1ccc30, 0x1ccc7c)
    fixme:ieframe:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x80867b0)->(1 00000000 0x1ccc30)
    fixme:ieframe:ViewObject_Draw (0x80867b0)->(1 -1 (nil) (nil) (nil) 0x568 0x1ccc94 0x1ccc94 (nil) 00000000)
    fixme:urlmon:URLMoniker_BindToObject use running object table
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xd83e8e0, overlapped 0xd83e8ec): stub
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 84 of group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus (0x80b639c)->((null) 1 0x32c238 (nil))
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus command_0: 27, 0x0
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 25
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 26
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 37 of group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 84 of group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x80b639c)->(0x32c248)
    fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDisposition (0x8420b10)->(0x32b974)
    fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentDispositionHeader (0x8420b10)->(0x32b1b0)
    fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x80b639c)->(0x32d0b8)
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x100a6, 0x840a018): stub
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 25
    fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 26
    fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_preload Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_preload Too many declaration changes or converting dynamic buffer, stopping converting
    fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
    thats my error !!! b:cry
  • elfasito12
    elfasito12 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    petruccidt wrote: »
    thats my error !!! b:cry

same problem!
    PS: What video card do you have?
  • Zhu - Lost City
    Zhu - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I also cannot get PWI to work, but I have Mac with Crossover 10.1.

Just a black screen comes up when the client starts.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    Zhu - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Going to bump this thread above all the spam.
  • ridlespurge
    ridlespurge Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    okay, so backstory...im computer illiterate *for the most part* , my laptop crashed (had PWI on it), a family *friend* installed Linux *ubuntu* on my computer, and its been like trying to hunt easter eggs in the dark trying to figure out how to accomplish what I want to do. Newest quest: try to reinstall PWI. I have done everything in the *instructions* at the beginning of the forum..i think. b:cute one of the only parts i dont quite understand is where you tell me to have POL run install.exe. i had to find the folder in my downloads file and run it from there using WINE something or another. and it ran, kind of. it took me to the PWI screen and asked if i needed to verify the files, so i said yes. THEN i got a box that said that installation was complete or accomplished and i had three choices, verify files, launch, and create shortcut on desktop.. i selected all threee. so it finished verifying the files all over again, put an icon on my screen, and showed me a blank white box. and see all this was run from WINE not POL, i couldnt figure out how to run it from POL. i did not understand the last part of the instructions ( are there any links in POL for the patcher and client? delete them, they don't work.
    configure -> general -> make new shortcut, for both of them.)
    OH and before it installed, it asked me the pathway..i think it was.. and i picked the virtual drive that i configured with all of the steps that were listed. I really need help from someone with a lot of patience.. oh and when i ran the chinese language exe it downloaded it fine... when i tried to run the install.exe from the download of PWI, it didnt do anything.. what i did was clicked run exe file, opened the folder for PWI and clicked the install.exe.. did i do something wrong there? and when you said to UNRAR it? i didnt find that step..:( like i said im so confused.. sorry again for the confusion guys but i reaaaallllly miss playing PWI and dual booting is not an option
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    okay, so backstory...im computer illiterate *for the most part* , my laptop crashed (had PWI on it), a family *friend* installed Linux *ubuntu* on my computer, and its been like trying to hunt easter eggs in the dark trying to figure out how to accomplish what I want to do. Newest quest: try to reinstall PWI. I have done everything in the *instructions* at the beginning of the forum..i think. one of the only parts i dont quite understand is where you tell me to have POL run install.exe. i had to find the folder in my downloads file and run it from there using WINE something or another. and it ran, kind of. it took me to the PWI screen and asked if i needed to verify the files, so i said yes. THEN i got a box that said that installation was complete or accomplished and i had three choices, verify files, launch, and create shortcut on desktop.. i selected all threee. so it finished verifying the files all over again, put an icon on my screen, and showed me a blank white box. and see all this was run from WINE not POL, i couldnt figure out how to run it from POL. i did not understand the last part of the instructions ( are there any links in POL for the patcher and client? delete them, they don't work.
    OH and before it installed, it asked me the pathway..i think it was.. and i picked the virtual drive that i configured with all of the steps that were listed. I really need help from someone with a lot of patience.. oh and when i ran the chinese language exe it downloaded it fine... when i tried to run the install.exe from the download of PWI, it didnt do anything.. what i did was clicked run exe file, opened the folder for PWI and clicked the install.exe.. did i do something wrong there? and when you said to UNRAR it? i didnt find that step..:( like i said im so confused.. sorry again for the confusion guys but i reaaaallllly miss playing PWI and dual booting is not an option
    NECROOO!!!!!!!

ridlespurge replied to a message that was 7 months 28 days 14 hours 43 minutes old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• ridlespurge
    ridlespurge Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    okay, so backstory...im computer illiterate *for the most part* , my laptop crashed (had PWI on it), a family *friend* installed Linux *ubuntu* on my computer, and its been like trying to hunt easter eggs in the dark trying to figure out how to accomplish what I want to do. Newest quest: try to reinstall PWI. I have done everything in the *instructions* at the beginning of the forum..i think. b:cute one of the only parts i dont quite understand is where you tell me to have POL run install.exe. i had to find the folder in my downloads file and run it from there using WINE something or another. and it ran, kind of. it took me to the PWI screen and asked if i needed to verify the files, so i said yes. THEN i got a box that said that installation was complete or accomplished and i had three choices, verify files, launch, and create shortcut on desktop.. i selected all threee. so it finished verifying the files all over again, put an icon on my screen, and showed me a blank white box. and see all this was run from WINE not POL, i couldnt figure out how to run it from POL. i did not understand the last part of the instructions ( are there any links in POL for the patcher and client? delete them, they don't work.

okay so i read in a seperate forum in the two days ive been trying to figure this out, that i should use directx9 not d3dx9.. well first i only had the d3dx9 and all i seen after i seen the PWI connecting to server box was a blank white box with nothing but a greyed out background, so for ****s and giggles i installed the directx9 component and i have a background picture with the start button etc but still a white box in the middle and i cant put my cursor on the picture background.. is there a way to uninstall the d3dx9 component .. i thought maybe they were counteracting each other or something as i have seen to use one over the other and not both.. again i know nothing about how these things work :(
    edited April 2013
    NECROOO!!!!!!!

ridlespurge replied to a message that was 7 months 28 days 14 hours 43 minutes old.
    While technically a necro, I believe the information falls under the exception rule =)

Me personally, I've just been sticking with 10.04 and 11.04 and haven't had much in the way of issues.

In your case, it could just be a simple script issue with the Wine configuration. There's another thread on that here somewhere that may have useful info for you.

Tip though: If you're gong to use Linux and play games with emulators like Wine, you're going to need to be able to understand the tecchy stuff pretty well. I've been using Unix and Linux for ages and sometimes the new protocols still trip me up though. Basic knowledge and understanding is a must though. Especially when it doesn't work and you need to troubleshoot.b:surrender

Edit: found the other thread. It's actually still active on the forum and won't be necroed if you post there...
    Sirens on Linux

It also has a lot more info than this thread about using Wine and the scripts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]