I'm guessing it's just me, but is this game horribly hard?

Options
fr33st00f
fr33st00f Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
Hi :p. This'd be my first time posting here, and I just want to understand why on earth I'm having such a terrible time in this game DX. That's a wierd question to ask, I know, but I honestly cannot tell what I'm doing wrong.

I started this game a year and a half ago out of pure whim, and upon reaching level 23 or so, I found it unbearable to kill mobs since I had to sit and rest to restore my HP and mana after EVERY. single. kill. Beyond that, dying is all too easy, and I think the only way I survived up to my current level was due to the magic carpet we get for free, the nice robes we get for free, and some awesome healing potion you could make.

So...now I came back and all the temporary stuff I got when I started is long gone. However, I don't think that stuff should make to big of an impact (does it?), and I wouldn't want to restart :p.

I just want to know if anybody's early game experience was like this. The class I chose was a wizard by the way, and at this time I have 800 HP and 1.6k mana, and regular mobs can destroy me in 4-5 hits, while it takes me roughly the same to kill them. This can't be right, can it? I mean, fpr regular mobs in every other game I've played, I could take on several of them at a time (but with AoE spells, which I still don't seem to have).

Anyways, there's my story. Sorry for the length, I just want to know why the combat in this game is so damn hard for me. I literally cannot do quests efficiently and upon logging in and trying to fight I remembered exactly as to why I quit before.

Please help :|

Edit: I just realized I have one AoE :p. I thought I had none. But that doesn't negate the fact that using it is pretty much insta death for me.
Post edited by fr33st00f on

Comments

• Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    At level 23 the game gets a bit harder for the early levels. Not to metnion, wizards are late-bloomers ;)
    Just see if you can get some other gear somewhere, and stock up on potions :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fr33st00f
    edited May 2012
    Options
    T_T
    So I have to put up with only being able to kill 1 mob before retreating with my HP?
    I was hoping I was missing something completely obvious >.< oh well.

Besides gear (which I have no idea how to buy and do not have the required skill to make) and potions (I can't find the damn herbs >.>) is there anything you'd suggest.

I can't make heads or tales of how buying and trading works in this game but if it's like any other I'd assume that there's not much low level gear for sale >.<.

Can you buy gear from stores/is it worth it? Or should I slowly kill mobs and hope I get something better >.>?
  • EtherbIade - Harshlands
    EtherbIade - Harshlands Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hello,

For the first charater its always a bit more hard.
    Like Hazumi_chan said check if you have gears and pots.
    Check if you allocated your points on your charater, press ''c'' to check, cause if you didnt put points in anything that could be why you cannot kill a mob without beeing kill.
    We have a wizz section if you need help to how build wizz.
    I don't remember at which lvl, but you gonna have a heal skill, so you gonna be able to heal yourself after kill a mob.
    You can also check if your attack skills are at the max lvl they can be for your lvl, which will make you able to kill mob faster if you hit harder.
    Good luck.

:)

p.s: you can buy gear in npc:

Blacksmith: weapon
    Tailor: gears (chest, lesg, sleeve etc..)
    Craftman: ornement (rings, neck etc..)

And you can buy pots from the apothecary (pots to recover mp and hp) you dont need to make them, the one you can make give you a status exemple recover a amount of hp or mp each seconde during 10 minutes.

When you kill mobs its important to take all the drop and if you dont need a item you can sell it to any npc (blacksmith tailor craftman and merchand) to get money to buy pots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fr33st00f
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I'm gonna check out that wiz build now :O thanks. I think I already may have messed it up by putting points into *everything* but I do get that heal skill at level 24 XD. Hopefully it'll help, thanks.
    Guess I just try to gring to 24. Very. Carefully.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Others can flame me if they want, but looking at those stats i would say you put way more into HP than needed for your level and not enough into magic. my low level wizard does not rely on handling hits using HP, but rather kills them before they get close enough to do much damage. I have just enough HP to wear normal gear have added no vit and no dex the rest went into mag wearing normal gear this works fine for me.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    check list o.o
    (ignore if you already cleared them xd )

• -Is your gear up to date on your lvl? Tailor NPC (until lv60, npc gear is more than fine)
    • -do you wear physical defense ornaments? (belt/neck)
    • -do you pick up all the item drops? (NPCing them really adds up)
    • -do you visit the apothecary to buy HP/MP pots?
      (very reasonable price if youve been accumulating coins from item drops stated above)
    • -have you stat-ed your character accordingly?
      visit wizzy forums http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    • -at low lvs, quests pop up faster than you can finish them all. have you checked if your trying to clear the harder ones first? (see mob lvs)
    • -are you watching your mini map for mobs sneaking up on you?
    • -have you updated your skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • EtherbIade - Harshlands
    EtherbIade - Harshlands Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Others can flame me if they want, but looking at those stats i would say you put way more into HP than needed for your level and not enough into magic. my low level wizard does not rely on handling hits using HP, but rather kills them before they get close enough to do much damage. I have just enough HP to wear normal gear have added no vit and no dex the rest went into mag wearing normal gear this works fine for me.

Yes that happen to put the points in the wrong stats, when i started the game, my first char was a BM (deleted since the time) and i didn't know the game at all, i was unable understand english at all and i though that more magic i had more my skills attack would be powerful (i laught when i think about it now), so i had a pure magic BM xD.

@fr33st00f: you are welcome, i edited my previous post to add more info about where find gears and pots. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    i smell troll
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • fr33st00f
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everybody :)!
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    If this is a serious post, maybe you could tell us what server you are on and someone might volunteer to mentor you.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Game is insanely easy. Pretty much the year 2010+ made the game easy as hell. If you think this game is challenging, try a private server running on 1.36 of Perfect World. It wasn't ever hard if you put the time and effort into it. Perfect World International was my first 3D MMO that I joined and played. I started a month or two after the beta.
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hit and run is too hard to do? WTF troll? All you do need to do is use gush, run back a few meters till gush finish cool down, then repeat. 1-29 is super easy... You shouldn't be dying. If you are using a lvl14 quest reward may take time... but uhm... whatever. Mobs should be dying fast at your level (not pure magic?) i could do this with a weapon alone and no armor at all. By level 24, you could do less kiting and more nuking. Healing helps... and wizards are not late bloomers... That is mega false.... and buy potions at NPC? WTF man? I never bought a single potion EVER. 100 stash potions of both MP/HP from 20-40... You shouldn't even run out if you want to conserve them... I even try so hard to get rid of those things by just spamming them, I never even used a single healing skill on cleric from 20-40 because I had those healing potions that aren't tradable... Just lol at this thread...
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    In this guy's defense, when I first started playing this game full-time, I was a wizard. I had points all over the place, lol. It wasn't until I was like level 60 when I realized that this super hybrid build wouldn't work, so I got enough gold for a reset note and went LA. But then I eventually got it right at 99 (was vit/mag hybrid at 90) and went pure. But yeah, this game is a LOT easier now than it was 2-3 years ago. Back in that day, no such thing as hypers, and the best way for a wizzie to level was via fish (HATED water, didn't mind killing fish) on eso grinding. Now, pop a hyper, go in FC, go crazy. Hell, wizzies don't even have to worry about stealing aggro on bosses in there anymore--a sin will do it faster. b:laugh
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    In this guy's defense, when I first started playing this game full-time, I was a wizard. I had points all over the place, lol. It wasn't until I was like level 60 when I realized that this super hybrid build wouldn't work, so I got enough gold for a reset note and went LA. But then I eventually got it right at 99 (was vit/mag hybrid at 90) and went pure. But yeah, this game is a LOT easier now than it was 2-3 years ago. Back in that day, no such thing as hypers, and the best way for a wizzie to level was via fish (HATED water, didn't mind killing fish) on eso grinding. Now, pop a hyper, go in FC, go crazy. Hell, wizzies don't even have to worry about stealing aggro on bosses in there anymore--a sin will do it faster. b:laugh

Even from back then.... I never even got close to stealing aggro on my old wizards and they was mostly pure mag or pure mag... maybe because I did more healing than DDing... Yes, I heal as a wizard, problem? e.e. I never had troubles from keeping aggro from sins on my barb... People still have no idea how to play their toons ;/ sad.

I guess the OP was trolling the forums
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BurnWhenIWiz - Heavens Tear
    BurnWhenIWiz - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Leveling a wiz prior to the supply stash even was fun. With the elder's blessing gears, and pots you get from the newer supply stash, shouldn't be having that much difficulty.

Get a jones blessing, helps kill things quicker on the early levels befor they get to you. You should be 2-3 hitting any mobs you come across if you go pure build w/ jones blessing. Even then, some mobs you'll wind up having to 'kite'. As others said, gush to slow, and get used to using your 's' key to run backwards to gain some distance before hitting it again. Melee mobs, you can get 2 hits in before having to kite, archer mobs you'll probably have to just hit, run, hit, run, hit. Avoid increased magic resist mobs, and increased movement speed archers. Turn on "show/hide monsters on mini map" so you can see where the mobs around you are, and make sure you're kiting into clear areas.

Wiz heal skill is painfully slow casting, so don't expect it to be very effective during a battle. It's more useful in between mobs.

If you're only lvl 23, and your stats are all over the place, with the ease of leveling nowadays w/ the lucid quests starting at lvl 5 giving you free exp, don't spend the cash on a reset note, just start your wiz over.

If you get to a sticky spot, try and squad up with others you see killing the same mobs around you (good luck with that nowadays, early areas are barren wastelands) or join a faction and ask if someone can help you if you're having trouble with a particular type of mob.
  • Quasee - Dreamweaver
    Quasee - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    when i 1st time played this game i died like 10 times a day, now i die only in dungeons when squad does something stupid.
    wiz and sin arent best classes to start playing, if you want magic class then can take psychic, mystic or even cleric, those classes have much faster channeling on skills, also have heals and mystic have pet that can tank for you.
    don't meditate, just buy potions and spam them and try to level up as fast as you can. From divine quests you can get free pots, legendary wepons so check them often if there is any purple quests(lvl20-50).
    for magic classes you also need to use phys def necklace and belt
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hard games are always awesome, look at ninja gaiden for super nintendob:cuteb:laugh
  • Cody_tylor - Sanctuary
    Cody_tylor - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hard games are always awesome, look at ninja gaiden for super nintendob:cuteb:laugh

Since when games were challenging besides War craft? ~_~
    Edit: Why forums bleep out console games? O_O
    WTB PWI 2008 where people were thinking more about doing good rather than pretending to be.
  • Naychur - Harshlands
    Naychur - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Game too hard? Want pro gear same as everyone so u can compete!? Well great! your answer is here :D go to Perfect world vendetta.

Perfect World Vendetta - Where all players are equal :)
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The first character I played was a wiz. It was definitely a tough class for me considering PWI was my first MMORPG and I picked the most squishy class in the game. I learned to kite the mobs well though. It isn't that hard. You can basically walk away and gush forever without getting hit. Once I got a little higher and got distance shrink it became a little bit more fun. This was all during my exploration and learning phase of playing. I had fun with it.

The biggest problem for new lower levels is the cost of... existing in this game. During questing you sometimes barely get enough coin for potions and whatever repairs you may get. Leaves little to invest in improving your character.

It didn't take me long to get aggravated with my fail npc/blue gears until I went to Rite Aid and bought my first set of game cards. Got to level my skills, buy some gold gears, buy some charms, and I was PvEing like a boss.
  • Kasira - Harshlands
    Kasira - Harshlands Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    This game is actually very hard, like the OP says. Levelling an archer for example was a living hell without a charm, especially in the 30-40 level range. People always say the four new classes are overpowered, I personally think the original six are underpowered.
  • KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear
    KawaiiJen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    This game is actually very hard, like the OP says. Levelling an archer for example was a living hell without a charm, especially in the 30-40 level range. People always say the four new classes are overpowered, I personally think the original six are underpowered.

QFT. Dear god.... I don't even.... Then I hit 59 and got My BoA and started zhen squads and life was good. :D

TBH there really shouldn't be an issue leveling a wizard until 60ish unless stats aren't being done right.
    [SIGPIC]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r61kw3.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Ty Fon for the Siggy <3

The rare and exotic Sage Archer of HT. b:cute
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The early levels were hard because the mobs all helped each other. This means if you hit one, sometimes you get 2-3 additional mobs on you. It wasn't hard back then because there were more people questing with you back then. Even if you weren't in squad, the fact that more people were around and killing the same mobs meant at least you didn't have the mobs all spawned and crowded together all the time. The archer mobs at the early levels were horribly inefficient, if not hard, for robe characters. A cluster of archer mobs was hell.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • XTrigger - Archosaur
    XTrigger - Archosaur Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The hardest leveling time I think I've ever had was 10-19 on a cleric. All those archer mobs b:surrender
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    During questing you sometimes barely get enough coin for potions and whatever repairs you may get. Leaves little to invest in improving your character.

Might just be Fuzzy, but isn't this why digging apoth herbs is free? Not to mention that if you actually do quest it is also free to level every other skill? The quests in you log will drop what is required at the appropriate level to nudge up your skill.

There are ways to level while ignoring your quest log but a result of this will be that you find it harder and harder to craft as you go along.

If you take the time to actually play they game the panda is 100% sure that the "invensting" in your character is actually pretty easy.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Hideori - Lost City
    Hideori - Lost City Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    didint read textwall but this game is suposed to be hard, so you need a squad unless you venomancer. game idea is to make players socialize with other idiots/trolls/nolifers and prevent you from being solo badass unless you're venomancer or really rich idiot/troll/nolifer. so game is hard to make you friends with those who you dont know and dont see their deformed faces and bodies in another side of internet cable. and you start to think that you talking with someone normal, or mental healthy, or girl, but there is always deformed, fat, stupid or worse males. and sometimes even g.a.ys. so the best option is to make your real friends play this game with you, and if they dont want to, then cry until they will. if they real friends they will.