Yes, I'm an ignorant nab.

gamerlilly
gamerlilly Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
By that I mean I'm too lazy to search around and find the answers for myself.

I hit level 59 and had to do the Valley of Disaster for my cultivation. I managed to fill a squad for FB59 and we went ahead and began. Upon reaching the first boss, everyone stood around doing nothing for like 2mins before I decided to say something.

I haven't played PW for a few years, so as a Veno, I was unsure if they were waiting for me to lure something, or anything like that. This is what I questioned. And one of them replied with "tab". So, I thought they were telling me to use the tab key to select the mob to lure. I responded saying that I know how to do it, I just wasn't sure if they wanted me to just lure the boss straight out, or pick off the other mobs one by one first.

They kept saying "tab", and so I questioned it and found out they were referring to the CoD Pillar. Granted I had forgotten to grab the CoD's, which is why I didn't instinctively activate the pillar. I ended up leaving, grabbing them and going back.

When I first played some years ago, I thought FB always referred to an instance required for one's cultivation. I thought it referred to the cultivation itself and so I didn't see the CoD's as relevant to working out what it was they meant.

So, I now know that when saying FB, people are expecting the CoD's. What exactly does FB stand for though? I can't seem to relate it to anything. Not like BH anyway, which clearly means Bounty Hunter, referring to the quests. And, why the hell did they refer to the CoD pillar as a 'tab'?
Post edited by gamerlilly on

Comments

• MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure its called a 'tab' just because that is a common name for a small piece of square paper which is what the COD's look like.

Some say FB stands for Final Boss in your cultivation but there were threads years ago that said FB is the acronym for two Chinese Words in their mythology meaning something to do with dragons/dungeons or something or other.
  • gamerlilly
    edited April 2012
    I'm pretty sure its called a 'tab' just because that is a common name for a small piece of square paper which is what the COD's look like.

Some say FB stands for Final Boss in your cultivation but there were threads years ago that said FB is the acronym for two Chinese Words in their mythology meaning something to do with dragons/dungeons or something or other.

Interesting. I'd say 'Final Boss' is technically wrong, otherwise there were 5 Final Bosses for the level 59 cultivation, and then a 6th fight with the Quillhog King. In which case, FB would technically be referring to Quillhog King and have nothing to do with the instance.

I find it interesting how two letters with remotely no direct relation are being used as term's for such in-definitive references.

Thanks.
  • Ajiuo - Harshlands
    Ajiuo - Harshlands Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited April 2012

FB is actually a short version of the chinese word for dungeon, which I think is fuben or something like that. I guess it's common on chinese server to refer to the instances as that and we just shortened it to FB for the english version. That being said, it's common now a days to have your tabs with you when you do your fb, otherwise it's basically a bh or just a random run through for people and they get upset :C
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ❤ No more PWI for me~ ❤
    ❝WHATIFTHESTORMENDSANDIDONTSEEYOU❞
  • gamerlilly
    edited April 2012
    FB is actually a short version of the chinese word for dungeon, which I think is fuben or something like that. I guess it's common on chinese server to refer to the instances as that and we just shortened it to FB for the english version. That being said, it's common now a days to have your tabs with you when you do your fb, otherwise it's basically a bh or just a random run through for people and they get upset :C

And this is definitely something I learned from this experience, I won't make the same mistake again. I felt kind of bad, and so nab too.

As for 'FB' that makes much more sense now. I always thought people were being generally kind when they ran others through their cultivation runs. But now I see they were getting the tabs by helping.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    gamerlilly wrote: »
    And this is definitely something I learned from this experience, I won't make the same mistake again. I felt kind of bad, and so nab too.

As for 'FB' that makes much more sense now. I always thought people were being generally kind when they ran others through their cultivation runs. But now I see they were getting the tabs by helping.

They get reputation + xp for helping with "tabbed" FB`s
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    That being said, there are still some people around who are willing to help with untabbed FBs.
  • ItsAWolf - Archosaur
    ItsAWolf - Archosaur Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Since I didn't see it mentioned: tab is short for tablet. When you read the ingame description on the tablet:

An ancient tablet that increases the rewards for slaying powerful foes!
    Dungeons: Firecrag Grotto (Human), Cave of the Vicious (Winged Elf),
    or the Den of Rabid Wolves (Untamed)
    Slay Thromh the Mighty, the Poison Tail Occultist, or Rend Razorjaw
    (depends on which dungeon you pick).
    Squad leaders can use this tablet to activate a Pillar of Duty located
    within the dungeon. The squad will then receive a Call to Duty quest
    to kill one of the enemies above. Remember that each pillar requires
    you to slay a specific enemy, so choose wisely!
  • EtherbIade - Harshlands
    EtherbIade - Harshlands Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Actually FB have nothing to do with cultivation, you could never do FB and be able do cultivation, FB is like a ''extra'' quest that people do at same time thaqn culti and people go help cause FB give a bit of exp and rep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gamerlilly
    edited April 2012
    truekossy wrote: »
    That being said, there are still some people around who are willing to help with untabbed FBs.

Yeah. Some people seem to undertake selfless acts, if not just for fun / out of boredom, then simply because they can. :3
    Since I didn't see it mentioned: tab is short for tablet. When you read the ingame description on the tablet:

This as the first word that came to my mind, but I didn't take a look at anything to try to find the word anywhere in game.
    Actually FB have nothing to do with cultivation, you could never do FB and be able do cultivation, FB is like a ''extra'' quest that people do at same time thaqn culti and people go help cause FB give a bit of exp and rep.

This understanding has been established from previous posts. Thanks. :3
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2012

Not true. FB59 IS required for culti, all 5 bosses are required to increase your cultivation.

If you never wanted to get Spark + (two spark), or learn any skills that require two or three sparks, then you could easily never do an FB.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Not true. FB59 IS required for culti, all 5 bosses are required to increase your cultivation.

If you never wanted to get Spark + (two spark), or learn any skills that require two or three sparks, then you could easily never do an FB.

i believe that he means that you can skip tabbing the bosses and still do your cultis (so you could do it with a friend or two to split the wine costs)
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    tabbing - present participle of tab (Verb)
    Verb:
    1. Mark or identify with a projecting piece of material: "a page tabbed by a bookmark".
    2. Activate the tab feature on a word processor or typewriter.

Number 1.
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited April 2012

:O
    I thought it was ''First Battle'' cause is the first time you enter that instance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quasee - Dreamweaver
    Quasee - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    FB- Fu Ben(from chinese iron tablet), is why people say tab not token or w/e, it came from chinese server same as HT server still uses HH(holy hall) when talking about TT(twilight temple). but i still dont get why forgotten frostland is called as FC when there isn't C letter in those words at all, frostcover is fb51 dungeon.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012

You dont need FB to kill the boss ijs, when u do bh59 do you have tab? no.
    You could just kill boss without tab, farm the middle thing and voila.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    FB- Fu Ben(from chinese iron tablet), is why people say tab not token or w/e, it came from chinese server same as HT server still uses HH(holy hall) when talking about TT(twilight temple). but i still dont get why forgotten frostland is called as FC when there isn't C letter in those words at all, frostcover is fb51 dungeon.

FC=Frostcovered City

Level 50 dungeon= Frostcovered Grounds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Whats a nab?
  • gamerlilly
    edited April 2012
    Whats a nab?

Not sure if serious.

It's a derivative of the word noob (not newbie, noob), a more insulting / degrading term. Though, like most internet deprived term's, technically it isn't a word, and thus doesn't exist and would therefore be considered nothing.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    You dont need FB to kill the boss ijs, when u do bh59 do you have tab? no.
    You could just kill boss without tab, farm the middle thing and voila.

The Actual Culti for 59 is to kill the bosses in FB59. Tabs or not, you will NOT pass the 59 culti unless you kill the bosses.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    The Actual Culti for 59 is to kill the bosses in FB59. Tabs or not, you will NOT pass the 59 culti unless you kill the bosses.

Read again my post i think u quote reply without even read. I said u can do culti without doing FB. I said no need a tab to kill a boss in any cave of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    gamerlilly wrote: »
    By that I mean I'm too lazy to search around and find the answers for myself.

I hit level 59 and had to do the Valley of Disaster for my cultivation. I managed to fill a squad for FB59 and we went ahead and began. Upon reaching the first boss, everyone stood around doing nothing for like 2mins before I decided to say something.

I haven't played PW for a few years, so as a Veno, I was unsure if they were waiting for me to lure something, or anything like that. This is what I questioned. And one of them replied with "tab". So, I thought they were telling me to use the tab key to select the mob to lure. I responded saying that I know how to do it, I just wasn't sure if they wanted me to just lure the boss straight out, or pick off the other mobs one by one first.

They kept saying "tab", and so I questioned it and found out they were referring to the CoD Pillar. Granted I had forgotten to grab the CoD's, which is why I didn't instinctively activate the pillar. I ended up leaving, grabbing them and going back.

When I first played some years ago, I thought FB always referred to an instance required for one's cultivation. I thought it referred to the cultivation itself and so I didn't see the CoD's as relevant to working out what it was they meant.

So, I now know that when saying FB, people are expecting the CoD's. What exactly does FB stand for though? I can't seem to relate it to anything. Not like BH anyway, which clearly means Bounty Hunter, referring to the quests. And, why the hell did they refer to the CoD pillar as a 'tab'?

after all these years, stupid terms from the foreigner versions still linger.
    youd think the idiocy would die by now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.