Warning to factions

Options
Lelouchvi_ - Sanctuary
Lelouchvi_ - Sanctuary Posts: 141 Arc User
edited May 2012 in Twilight Temple (West)
Lately there has been a scammer that seems to be switching toons everytime he strikes.

What he does is this.

He joins your faction and says ''hey guys its me [insert random faction member]''
This makes it so that no one will suspect him.
Then he will create another toon with a name that is extremely similar to the faction leader and will start to pm members.

He will ask to borrow money, borrow tome, stuff like that.

Just be careful out there guys b:shocked
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Lelouchvi_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Jojoushi - Sanctuary
    Jojoushi - Sanctuary Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ditto to you. Thanks for the heads up. I think my faction VAMPS just got struck by that person not long ago
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Life is always what you make of it...
  • Lelouchvi_ - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ditto to you. Thanks for the heads up. I think my faction VAMPS just got struck by that person not long ago

Yeah been seeing it alot on world chat and just thought everyone should be aware
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    We got hit by that guy once before, he's been doing it for months and months actually.

Our leaders name is extremely easy to copy because of lowercase L's and capital I's being so similar in game. Luckily all us officers have our leader on our FL and sent warnings out into the faction the second one of us was PM'd by the blue text faker. No one was scammed here, thankfully.

I didn't think he was still around, we were hit so long ago. Thanks for the warning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Eariala - Sanctuary
    Eariala - Sanctuary Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Our faction was hit by a guy using the same tactics, a few months ago. We were able to trace a whole chain of factions robbed that way. (all reported in tickets)

All because the font used by the game has no visual differences between some letters
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    All because the font used by the game has no visual differences between some letters

i would find it weird if my faction leader was clearly a lvl1 toon wearing lowbie armor when I traded him my tome... and even if there was some difference between all letters some people would still get scammed
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Eariala - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i would find it weird if my faction leader was clearly a lvl1 toon wearing lowbie armor when I traded him my tome... and even if there was some difference between all letters some people would still get scammed

the chat happens from across the world, and the trades with banker toons etc.
    Or even more damaging for the victim, "if you give your account info, I make it happen"
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Happened to LG and Vindicate as well as Regi.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krazyeye$ - Dreamweaver
    Krazyeye$ - Dreamweaver Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    how about if you get a pm just ask them to say it in faction chat, problem solved.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    how about if you get a pm just ask them to say it in faction chat, problem solved.
    Then he'd probably ignore you and PM someone else. =\

So...how many of the factions hit ACTUALLY lose things? <_< No one in our fac was dumb enough to fall for the trick, so I'm curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Happened to LG and Vindicate as well as Regi.

HAHA really? I can't imagine necy or dan or skuttle ever asking to borrow stuff. They're all fairly well off in terms of ingame possessions. b:laugh
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Eariala - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    what I understood of my talks with other factions that were targeted, 2-3 players before everyone was aware... sometimes players were robbed on 3-4 accounts. All in a matter of 2-3 days.

When playing on my own Alt faction, I was approached by one that wasn't even in faction, but had a nick only one letter different then my alt that leads that faction...
    (Stupidly I didn't screen shot it, and it was before I realised it was "common" rip off tactics)
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    what I understood of my talks with other factions that were targeted, 2-3 players before everyone was aware... sometimes players were robbed on 3-4 accounts. All in a matter of 2-3 days.

When playing on my own Alt faction, I was approached by one that wasn't even in faction, but had a nick only one letter different then my alt that leads that faction...
    (Stupidly I didn't screen shot it, and it was before I realised it was "common" rip off tactics)

o_o It really took that long?

b:surrender Wow. I guess everyone in faction having the leader on their friendslist really DOES come in handy. No one trusted the blue texted faker in our fac and his alt was kicked immediately.

Everyone, just be wary with alts that suddenly join your faction and then immediately log off unless they're run by someone you personally know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lelouchvi_ - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It's a very easy thing to fall for, for some factions.

If I never knew about this scammer and my fac leader would pm me asking for 1 mill, I would send him 1 mill in mail whithout even thinking about it. And other factions would too if they trust all their members.

And it's kind of a hassle to add most of your faction just to make sure you're not about to get scammed. But I guess it's worth it.

I guess the most safe thing to do is when someone you know pms you for coins, squad inv to make sure they're the same level/class then just drop and pick coins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krazyeye$ - Dreamweaver
    Krazyeye$ - Dreamweaver Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't think it a scam, but people should be aware that other players will take advantage of stupidity.....thats why if this was to happen to me I would get on vent and ask either the leader or some one of rank, or the best way is to relog and look at guild roster to see if the leader is online and then pm the leader directy from the roster to see if it is a scam or not.
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It wasn't a hassle for our leader to add everyone. b:chuckle, she adds all the officers, so we can plot to slowly take over the server--I mean...protect ourselves against impersonators, since her name is so easy to imitate. :D

b:avoid
    I don't think it a scam, but people should be aware that other players will take advantage of stupidity.....thats why if this was to happen to me I would get on vent and ask either the leader or some one of rank, or the best way is to relog and look at guild roster to see if the leader is online and then pm the leader directy from the roster to see if it is a scam or not.
    Krazyeye, you're...you know, nevermind. Impersonating someone with the hope of SCAMMING others of items or money is a SCAM. I hope you have the intelligence to realize that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Scumbags. It has happened to my other faction too, somone had a fcc weapon stolen. The GMs ended up replacing it but still...

To be honest I just don't understand how you can fall for it. b:surrender If someone suspicious pmed asking for stuff, I'd just ask some personal question. But then again, I'm very sceptical and triplecheck ._.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Scumbags. It has happened to my other faction too, somone had a fcc weapon stolen. The GMs ended up replacing it but still...

To be honest I just don't understand how you can fall for it. b:surrender If someone suspicious pmed asking for stuff, I'd just ask some personal question. But then again, I'm very sceptical and triplecheck ._.

I wouldn't loan anything to anyone, even people in my faction. Unless it's like... TT60 or something.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I wouldn't loan anything to anyone, even people in my faction. Unless it's like... TT60 or something.

I just give stuff or loan it to my very closest friends. If it's anything else I go by: Only give it out if you're okay with never seeing it again.

People are way too trusting. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • xaviere31
    xaviere31 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    My former faction was recently invaded by this person,joined our faction with an alt (dunno if i can say his toon name)then made a toon similar to our leaders name,i called him out in faction chat and he instantly started saying our leader was an bleeeep and then left the faction
  • _AnnMarie_ - Sanctuary
    _AnnMarie_ - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Our faction luckily hasn't got the scammer yet but my main has the leader on my friends list anyway but id just mail her what she wanted if I had it so she would get it not the scammer even if I didnt know about it. She lets everyone in the faction that have been there awhile and she trusts borrow things and vice versa. I guess we are just a trusting faction though lol. But we are smaller then most so easier to know whos who.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    xaviere31 wrote: »
    My former faction was recently invaded by this person,joined our faction with an alt (dunno if i can say his toon name)then made a toon similar to our leaders name,i called him out in faction chat and he instantly started saying our leader was an bleeeep and then left the faction
    u sure these guys arent diff. scammers?

we've had GMs trace trades in the past and pop the culprit right in front of our faces with scams..... so if its the same continuous pple, doing the same things, getting multiple tickets, and the GMs having to replace each of them.... i woulda thought they be gone by now >.> they can make multiple characters but the money eventually flows to the same place
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • DeadRaven - Sanctuary
    DeadRaven - Sanctuary Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Ya, this individual (assuming its the same one) has been around for a long time doing this. There is another older thread about this exact thing. I will link it here if I come across it again.

How the hell is this not a scam >.< I can only assume that you did not bother to actually read the thread to properly understand what this individual has been doing. Also, it has nothing! to do with peoples' stupidity. To write that is nothing but a callous attempt to blame the victims for being victimized. To contextualize this issue more appropriately, it has to do with an ***hole lacking in moral fiber that is mindfully impersonating people in order to exploit their friends and faction mates for money, gears, and anything else they can get away with. It is the behavour of this impersonator that is the problem, so don't go trying to place this on the victims *sheeesh*