Guardian Wolf or Kowlin?

eclaire
eclaire Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2012 in Venomancer
IS the guardian wolf better or the kowlin? http://www.ecatomb.net/petstat.php?pw=pwi <--- the stats show that the guardian wolf is a better pet... i like both of them b:chuckle so anyone who has experience with both pets can give me some advice? b:pleased
Post edited by eclaire on

Comments

• Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    eclaire wrote: »
    IS the guardian wolf better or the kowlin? http://www.ecatomb.net/petstat.php?pw=pwi <--- the stats show that the guardian wolf is a better pet... i like both of them b:chuckle so anyone who has experience with both pets can give me some advice? b:pleased
    The only reasons to get a kowlin are the looks, its speed, and its relatively high attack combined with good starter DD skills. Unfortunately it makes a poor tank so you can't really use the skills on it much. Before I got a herc, I used it as a DD/debuff pet when someone else's pet was tanking. DD from regular attacks, pdef and mdef debuffs as they cycled (I don't recall the default starter skills, it's been too long).

At high level it pulls about as well as a ranged pet. It's probably the best pet for pulling moving mobs. But a ranged pet does better pulling from large groups (e.g. Wurlord), and the ranged attack is very useful in other situations, and you frequently don't have enough pet slots to keep both.
  • eclaire
    eclaire Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Ok... i think im leaning towards a guardian wolf cuz even tho they dont have an attack as high as a kowlin... they r better tanks and i think they're better pets for PvE (i dont do a lot of PvPs) plus they're easier to catch and u dont have to camp at thier spawn sites b:laugh
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Neither are really keepers imho.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    Cocobelle - Sanctuary Posts: 960 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Kowlin is just good for pulling, imo. I just keep one with me for pulling and because it looks cool.

Guardian Wolf on the other hand...I used it as a puller too before I got the Kowlin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    its very much a matter of taste. many of us love kowlins, and find them very useful and beautiful, well worth having. and many hate them. i love mine, and use her daily.

5nt4b6.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Kowlin is just good for pulling, imo. I just keep one with me for pulling and because it looks cool.

Guardian Wolf on the other hand...I used it as a puller too before I got the Kowlin.

At my level I almost never see a veno pulling with a Kowlin, and if I do.. b:sad -It's like 1/100. Last time I called it a suicide lurer -yep it died.

Neither of these pets is worth investing anything in.
    its very much a matter of taste. many of us love kowlins, and find them very useful and beautiful, well worth having. and many hate them. i love mine, and use her daily.

5nt4b6.jpg

But your type is rare and seems to have a fetish with e-pets. If someone wants it for eye candy: it's obvious. -They don't need to be told to get it. If someone thinks it's actually useful, well that's what this thread is about?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Heh, my kowlin is even named "Suicidal"

Take your pick from the fast pets, they're all much of a muchness.
  • Lythianaa - Dreamweaver
    Lythianaa - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,307 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    They both look cool in my opinion. It's up to you. But the Kowlin dies super fast when tanking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you so much ForsakenX for the sig b:cute
  • Mayshah - Archosaur
    Mayshah - Archosaur Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2012

5nt4b6.jpg

Do you still use it ? *o* I have one Kowlin at my bank :p can't wait to reach lvl 60 :P
  • akosireann
    akosireann Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    b:chuckle sell the kowlin, you will make more money to upgrade you and your other pet skills.

If only the skills of the kowlin were unique maybe it can be a keeper but with it's skills easily copyable in mrs. zoo's shop and it's unbelievable squishyness why bother sticking in it your pet bag over a more useful pet? You can still put the same skills on a petali, one of those chicken mobs in bh 59 or any other land pet with speeds of 9-10m/s and not miss a thing.

Let the fail venos have him
    and thanks for necroing loser
    Go Pure or go Fail

You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something in your life - Winston Churchill

Status of PvP in RT

The best pk in Raging Tides is in World Chat- Dylena
  • mm2000
    mm2000 Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    akosireann wrote: »
    b:chuckle sell the kowlin, you will make more money to upgrade you and your other pet skills.

If only the skills of the kowlin were unique maybe it can be a keeper but with it's skills easily copyable in mrs. zoo's shop and it's unbelievable squishyness why bother sticking in it your pet bag over a more useful pet? You can still put the same skills on a petali, one of those chicken mobs in bh 59 or any other land pet with speeds of 9-10m/s and not miss a thing.

Let the fail venos have him
    and thanks for necroing loser

LOL at this, how pathetic can you be seriously? If you think about what kind of pets as a concern, then you seriously are doing something wrong. Then that makes every single pet other than hercs / nix useless? Guess what? Even hercs and nixes are moot to endgame due to heavier cash shoppers with 5.0 permasparking sins, bms, barbs and even other venoes!

So the only kind of veno is to be pure magic and have legendary pets? You do realize that the legendary pets are not that much of an advantage and it is the buffs that helps them too right?
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Stop the Necroing , and don't be trolled by idiots , it is sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    mm2000 wrote: »
    LOL at this, how pathetic can you be seriously? If you think about what kind of pets as a concern, then you seriously are doing something wrong. Then that makes every single pet other than hercs / nix useless? Guess what? Even hercs and nixes are moot to endgame due to heavier cash shoppers with 5.0 permasparking sins, bms, barbs and even other venoes!

So the only kind of veno is to be pure magic and have legendary pets? You do realize that the legendary pets are not that much of an advantage and it is the buffs that helps them too right?

Barbs and Venos are the fastest toons in the game. A veno that can't debuff mobs before others start attacking because of a crappy pet? -lol. There are many 5.0 that can't pull full groups in BH Metal or kill many mobs in the time it takes a 5.0 to kill one.

You can't justify hercs/ nix lack of usefulness based on toons that aren't really comparable.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I'm happy I got a kowlin as a present, and I'm happy I levelled it up.

But it's not often truly vital. It's faster at killing things that run away, mainly - though the monkey can do do that too; the monkey is slowass at killing anything. I tend to send the cat one way, and shoot the other, heal and repeat.

Optimal skills? Well, for the say I use it; howl and three attacks - since it already has two attacks; there's only really pierce to replace.

I think I may use this one as my debuff pet though - which means replacing probably bash with probably threaten.

It is a nice and shiny pet; I tend to use it for fun anywhere it can survive - and at high levels it really becomes surprisingly good at surviving.

I do wish it had pounce, but it's a damn good alternative to a scorpion for hunting with.

The wolves. The wolves are special. As tweakz says, they come in multiple flavours which makes them harder to evaluate than most pets. They also comes with ridiculously outlevel skills - Fleshream5 on the snakevalley bloodkin was particularly silly. The lunar wolf's howl, too.
    But at higher levels that stops mattering so much; as you can just pay for them, leaving you with a pet that is, sadly, just not as good.
    All in all - I'd say if you've got a kowlin, great, it's a fine fast pet, use it and enjoy.
    If you don't, then it's probably not *really* worth saving up for specially; the wolves make a decent substitute, or for luring the monkeys and cacti usually work better.

It's a darn nice all rounder though. Decent damage, (especially early on; it is a buzzsaw on legs) later on it becomes good at surviving, it's always fast which is never a bad thing.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I got it as well. This marks another pet for my rares collection , only Cuddly Pup remains
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue